• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP Enhanced Bolt benifits?

Aye-Are-10

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
Hey guys - used the google, found some things but not a direct answer.
Im in the middle of building an AR-10 using a mega billet set. Planning on sending the upper to GAP to instal a bartlein barrel and need the bolt before i do this. Since im not using the JP supermatch barrel, does the JP enhanced bolt add any benifits over say a CMMG? Not a money issue, more.curious than anything. Building this rifle for accuracy. Thanks!

I use a JP enhanced 308 bolt in my 308....jp makes top notch parts with some of the best fit and finish.... There is no doubt in my mind there bolt is superior to CMMG..... But will that superiority be tangible? Maybe... Maybe not....

Armalite bolt. Because the firing pin and firing pin hole are the right size. Small. Remedies primer extrusion.

I was going JP enhanced until I saw the new BOOMFAB 3.6oz coming out, I'm still going JP silent spring, and Vltor gas block, the gas block really reduces recoil a lot when paired with a light weight bolt. ADD a spikes .308 DYnacomp and bye bye recoil!

I was going JP enhanced until I saw the new BOOMFAB 3.6oz coming out, I'm still going JP silent spring, and Vltor gas block, the gas block really reduces recoil a lot when paired with a light weight bolt. ADD a spikes .308 DYnacomp and bye bye recoil!

Thanks for the input guys, and holy shit fury, that thing is sweet! Ive never even heard of that before. If you can get it a color other than yellow im in! Any word on when they will be available? Also, what length barrel you going to run?

Armalite bolt. Because the firing pin and firing pin hole are the right size. Small. Remedies primer extrusion.

The JP website states that the JP Enhanced Bolt is not compatible with Armalite (or clones there of) pattern rifles. It is for use with DPMS pattern rifles only. Boomfab bolt carrier is pretty cool looking but is a carrier, not a bolt and looks to be available for AR15 only, not AR-10.

To the OP, Im a big fan of JP rifles and parts. Been using them for 20yrs with great results and I recommend them highly. That said, if I were sending a rifle to GAP to be barreled, I'd call them and find out what bolt and carrier (the bolt and carrier are two different things) they suggest. They know what they're doing and will steer you in the right direction. Parts for large platform AR rifles are not as "plug and play" as AR15 platform rifles.

Last edited:
The JP website states that the JP Enhanced Bolt is not compatible with Armalite (or clones there of) pattern rifles. It is for use with DPMS pattern rifles only. Boomfab bolt carrier is pretty cool looking but is a carrier, not a bolt and looks to be available for AR15 only, not AR-10.

To the OP, Im a big fan of JP rifles and parts. Been using them for 20yrs with great results and I recommend them highly. That said, if I were sending a rifle to GAP to be barreled, I'd call them and find out what bolt and carrier (the bolt and carrier are two different things) they suggest. They know what they're doing and will steer you in the right direction. Parts for large platform AR rifles are not as "plug and play" as AR15 platform rifles.

Yup, did a little more research and it seems youre right, thabk you. I have already talked with ken from GAP amd he mentioned something about a cmmg as what they use?i could have mistaken that though. Im planning on doing dpms pattern as the mega supposedly can handle either or. I will more than likely be purchasing a JP low mass complete bolt carrier group along with an adjustable gas block and their buffer system.

FYI, in another week or two JP is releasing their "high pressure" bolt which will have a .068" firing pin-- basically an armalite-sized firing pin in an otherwise DPMS-pattern bolt.

That should take care of all the primer flow issues often encountered when running calibers like .260 and 6.5CM with the current DPMS-style bolts that use a .080" firing pin. The nice thing is the new JP "high pressure" bolt won't require swapping over to a complete Armalite BCG if your rifle is currently running a DPMS-style BCG. I know my 6.5CM JP LRP-07 will be getting one...

Last edited:
Yes, John had one of these new bolts at the Task Force Dagger 3-gun match a couple of weeks ago. I never had a primer flow problem in my JP 260 with the original bolt but there must've been an issue as they've changed to .068".

Aye-AR-10, JP the low mass bolt/carrier and captured recoil spring system are both worth considering for your build. They make a significant difference in felt recoil vs standard in the AR-10 platform. Keep us posted on what you decide and how it turns out.

Yes, John had one of these new bolts at the Task Force Dagger 3-gun match a couple of weeks ago. I never had a primer flow problem in my JP 260 with the original bolt but there must've been an issue as they've changed to .068".

Aye-AR-10, JP the low mass bolt/carrier and captured recoil spring system are both worth considering for your build. They make a significant difference in felt recoil vs standard in the AR-10 platform. Keep us posted on what you decide and how it turns out.

Ok, the 308s dont have the same primer issues correct? I will, i should be making the order within a week of today, but then ill jave the wait from GAP. Not in any hurry i guess, should work out fine! Thanks everyone.

FYI, in another week or two JP is releasing their "high pressure" bolt which will have a .068" firing pin-- basically an armalite-sized firing pin in an otherwise DPMS-pattern bolt.

That should take care of all the primer flow issues often encountered when running calibers like .260 and 6.5CM with the current DPMS-style bolts that use a .080" firing pin. The nice thing is the new JP "high pressure" bolt won't require swapping over to a complete Armalite BCG if your rifle is currently running a DPMS-style BCG. I know my 6.5CM JP LRP-07 will be getting one...

Figure this would come out a few months after I finished my build!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I know. John Paul and I argued about this issue two years ago. Took him awhile but I'm glad someone purporting to have an "enhanced" bolt actually produces a bolt with enhancements.

By the way; an attendant issue is firing pin reliability. In the 6.5x47 I built we bushed the bolt and turned down the dpms pin. But the pin tip broke off repeatedly. The Armalite pin does not break nilly willy like that. So we will have to see off the "enhanced High Pressure bolt" has an accompanying pin that a works.

Last edited:
There are still a lot of areas to be improved upon in the .308 pattern ARs. Even putting together the best parts, there are some issues that only redesign will fix. The DMPS G2 is a good step forward, as is the HP bolt from JP. Put those together with some additional after-market ingenuity and the "old" style .308 pattern ARs will become much less desirable. I am excited to see what will be possible in a few years with some of the things I know are being worked on even now.

There are still a lot of areas to be improved upon in the .308 pattern ARs. Even putting together the best parts, there are some issues that only redesign will fix. The DMPS G2 is a good step forward, as is the HP bolt from JP. Put those together with some additional after-market ingenuity and the "old" style .308 pattern ARs will become much less desirable. I am excited to see what will be possible in a few years with some of the things I know are being worked on even now.

Come on man! Lol should i just wait until the HP bolt vomes out? Or will i be able to switch it over when the time comes?

Well the Armalite bolt has been working a long time. Try it. It'll work for you too. Await the seasoning time for the "HP" (how bolts should be designed anyway) configured bolt.

I have three successful builds of MA TEN's.
As in any build you must factor all aspects of the gas in.
I tried a JP captured spring but it did not work so I went back to old faithful.
DMPS Carrier
JP Enhanced bolt
Slash Heavy Buffer & Spring.
Use whatever works for your system and thoroughly test different ammo combinations.

The JPSCS works great in my Monolithic Maten build, maybe you got one of the early 308 models that were shipped with the wrong rate spring in it, previously I too used slashes buffers which are top notch but now all my AR'S use a JPSCS.... I will admit as well that mine has a Syrac adjustable gas block which really helps with recoil.... Anyway does anyone know exactly when the JP HP Enhanced bolt will be available? I emailed them but didn't really get any thing but a vague acknowledgment of its existence.

When I spoke with Ben at JP in mid-April he said they hoped to have them packaged and ready to ship in 2-3 weeks if all went well. That could mean this week or next week if things go according to plan.

He said just watch the webpage-- as soon as they are packaged and ready for sale with a matching part number for their inventory & ordering system they will show up on the webpage. He couldn't put one on backorder for me as the part numbers hadn't been assigned yet.

I just i stalled a silent capture kit and enhanced bcg on my gap 10 without any issues. You do lose the forward assist but for a .308 I doubt it is used much. Also put an adjustable gas block on it. With Jp brake. Recoilless ...

Did you use jp's whole low mass bcg or just the bolt carrier with the gap/dpms bolt? I'm about to order one for a 6mm Creedmoor gap10. I already have the silent buffer setup which is the only thing I will run in a gasser.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

i just love all the craze around enhancing parts that have worked perfectly fine for decades.
cheers.

i just love all the craze around enhancing parts that have worked perfectly fine for decades.
cheers.

I'll agree that the regular "enhanced" bolt really doesn't offer much in the way of improvement over the original design other than being a nicely machined bolt using a different grade of steel that's more fatigue & crack resistant... while the material change makes sense from a durability standpoint the majority of users out there won't ever run enough ammo through their rifles to wear out a standard bolt.

However, their new high-pressure bolt with the smaller diameter firing pin is actually a huge improvement for guys running DPMS/Stoner pattern rifles-- substantial improvement in primer condition especially in non-308 calibers.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ressure-bolt-primer-condition-pics-6-5cm.html

Last edited:
FYI JP's new bolt is available now, I have one. They are not on their website yet but give them a call they have them ready to ship now.

cheers.

With all due respect, large platform AR pattern rifles have not been around for decades in significant production nor have the parts ever worked "perfectly fine" from any manufacturer. This includes Knights, LMT, JPE, GAP, Armalite, LaRue, DPMS and others.

There are different pattern large platform AR's from assorted manufacturers. Some of the components are not universally compatible as they are with almost all of the small platform AR's. Large platform AR's are definitely a work in progress, especially with the introduction of numerous new calibers. My hat's off to any of the manufacturers who develop and bring new and better large platform rifles and components to market!

Last edited:
Some so-called enhanced parts work better in some platforms than others.

I tried the JP captured recoil spring in a Larue .308 with terrible results. Accuracy went from sub-MOA to 3 MOA. Put the original parts back in, and the problem went away.

I guess you don't really know until you try.

Speaking of trying, I would like to try one of the enhanced bolts, assuming a suitable firing pin is also made available to go with it.

Last edited:

I tried the JP captured recoil spring in a Larue .308 with terrible results. Accuracy went from sub-MOA to 3 MOA. Put the original parts back in, and the problem went away.

Speaking of trying, I would like to try one of the enhanced bolts, assuming a suitable firing pin is also made available to go with it.

That is weird.

I would think the bullet is gone before the BCG is recoiling back against the spring anyway. Not saying I dont believe it.....just trying to figure out how that works.

Mine came with a firing pin...

The high pressure bolt made a huge difference in my 6.5 CM. I hadn't pierced a primer......yet. Some were very close and I was showing pressure signs starting at medium loads. JP was great to work with and pressure signs went away.

The high pressure bolt made a huge difference in my 6.5 CM. I hadn't pierced a primer......yet. Some were very close and I was showing pressure signs starting at medium loads. JP was great to work with and pressure signs went away.

That's encouraging.

Imagine this with a 24" 6.5 CM barrel:

IMG_3411.JPG

I've got one on the way for a gap10 in 6mm Creedmoor on the way. I've been nothing but please with everything that I own that came from jp. I'm sure the lowmass bcg and enhanced bolt with the captured recoil buffer will work just as good in the gap10 as it does my ar15s which Is pretty much perfect and the way they should be from the get go.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Building a 6.5 creedmoor and was a little worried about the primer issue so ordered one straight off the web on 7/1 and it was in my hands 7/3. I wouldn't have done it for the 308, but i have heard a few problems amongst other shooters and especially here on the hide. As for the problem with the primers and "i just love all the craze around enhancing parts that have worked perfectly fine for decades." Apparently Mr. Gardner felt it was a big enough issue "All GAP-10 308 caliber rifles will continue to have a .080 FP as lots of Ammo manufactures still use Mil spec Primers on this caliber. All calibers except for 308 we will switch to the .068 FP That should be a perfect solution for 95% of the guys out there." Source post #35 http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...vy-swipes-2-pierced-primers-factory-ammo.html . Don't know about the rest of Jp's lineup but this one seems like a welcome solution.

Edit- im talking about the high pressure bolt, not the enhanced. I have no experience or research that would suggest any benefit of the enhanced bolt and only went with the high pressure bolt due to the reduced firing pin.

Last edited:
cheers.

It can be a fine line between unnecessary and excessive gadgetry, and actually taking advantage of modern advancements.

I've never had any firing pin or bolt issues in my gas guns. But I have bought a gadget or two that didn't do much for me. Lately I've been more cautious (and more successful) in my weapons upgrades. I have nothing but glowing praise for going low mass on the bolt carrier and buffer. I reduced felt recoil by half, easily. And increased target acquisition and transition on my competition rifles.

That sh!t is pure genius.