• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just bought a TRG and a few questions

280 AI

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2011
TX
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and have a few questions. I just ordered my TRG in .338 w/brake, also got the NF 5.5-22x56 NP-R1 and MOA turrets with sako 3 ring mount. I was looking at the Spuhr but did know if this would make the cheek pad useless without a spacer(any input on this?). Also what dies are you guys using(brand/neck or full).What about bullets?( 250 or 300/ scenar, sierra, berger) I am looking for good accuracy from 100-1200 yrds. Any input on powder and COL would also be useful.

Re: Just bought a TRG and a few questions

I can't help you with the .338 questions, but I'm running a Spuhr mount on my TRG-42 and it works perfectly for me with no spacer under the cheek piece.

Good choice on the TRG rifle. Not as good of a choice on the 3 ring mount over the Spuhr, in my opinion, as the Spuhr mount is quite nice. Cheek piece height depends on a lot of factors, your face being a big one so it's going to be hard for someone to say what spacer, if any, you would need. Welcome the hide and quality rifle ownership.
Justin

Thank for the input, I am going to see how 3 ring works out for me, and maybe try to look through a TRG that has the Spuhr to see the difference in cheek height.

Sounds like you have a good rig going. I'm using RCBS gold medal match dies (neck sizer). Don't remember offhand what the bushing size was but it was the largest they had. My COAL is .020" under the mag length.

Bullets are 250 Scenars on top of 90.0 grains of 4831sc (max load according to the Sierra manual). Brass is Lapua. Primers are Federal. This setup has given me some of the best groups I have ever fired.

Am taking this load out to a 1000+ yard range for the next three days and intend to have a hell of a lot of fun with it!

Thanks a million Yasherka sounds like you are going to have a great weekend. Just my 2 cents on something: Lapua could advertise that they have gold in their .338 brass and I would believe it with their prices, but from what I read it is worth it.

When you amortize the cost of the brass over its expected lifespan (9-10 rounds seems to be average), it is actually a better investment and ultimately costs less than pretty much any other brand.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't yet heard of a better one.

WoW - someone has a sugar Momma, M o N e Y ...!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John Indellicati</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys I'm new to the forum and have a few questions. I just ordered my TRG in .338 w/brake, also got the NF 5.5-22x56 NP-R1 and MOA turrets with sako 3 ring mount. I was looking at the Spuhr but did know if this would make the cheek pad useless without a spacer(any input on this?). Also what dies are you guys using(brand/neck or full).What about bullets?( 250 or 300/ scenar, sierra, berger) I am looking for good accuracy from 100-1200 yrds. Any input on powder and COL would also be useful. </div></div>

I started out with the same scope on my TRG-42 , but I went with a Near Mfg base and Near Mfg Alpha mount, which is another option for you over the factory unit or Spur. If you end up needing a spacer, there are severial options. I started with the factory 10mm spacer, but ended up going with the 10mm unit from Norway with thumbwheel disconnect.

I haven't started reloading for the 338 yet, but plan on going with the 300-gr Scenars when I do.

Enjoy your rifle, they are lasers.

Haha, what can I say Eurooptics had a great price I couldn't pass up.

+1..on the Near Mfg. base.

I have the 30-MOA Near base on my TRG-42.
He does some fine work, up their!

LOBO 151

I am running the same setup as you with a different reticle.

I am using redding match neck dies and a redding competition seater. Cannot think of the OAL offhand I'll check when I get home. Favorite load so far is 94.5th Retumbo in a Lapua case with a 250 Scenar. This load has yielded a .215" 5 shot group at 100 moving at a mild 2,872 fps. Last week it made a 3" 4 shot group at 1000 using 21 MOA to get there.

I just ordered a 10mm spacer because prone I have to crane my neck up to get a good site picture

Just got done with load development with 300's, 94 gr Retumbo yielded the best group.

One thing is everyone who shoots this rifle comments on how accurate it is and what a great trigger it is. My dad and 2 Friends want a good 2 stage trigger for their rifles now.

I run the Surefire brake on mine and the recoil is less than my 26" Remington 700 in .308. I'm considering selling the Remington now because I cannot touch it since the damn TRG has me spoiled.

Let me know if you have any questions.

EZ

The height of our TRG mounts are 35mm (1,38") We also have some higher versions.
I don't know what the orignal or the Near are in height, totally counted from the top of the action?

I assume the differance is not very big.
I was using a 10mm spacer before but as Justin just said it's so individual that it's all up to the shooter.

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John Indellicati</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys I'm new to the forum and have a few questions. I just ordered my TRG in .338 w/brake, also got the NF 5.5-22x56 NP-R1 and MOA turrets with sako 3 ring mount. I was looking at the Spuhr but did know if this would make the cheek pad useless without a spacer(any input on this?). Also what dies are you guys using(brand/neck or full).What about bullets?( 250 or 300/ scenar, sierra, berger) I am looking for good accuracy from 100-1200 yrds. Any input on powder and COL would also be useful. </div></div>

Everyone's facial anatomy is different. Do you have to raise the cheekpiece to get your eye ceterline with the scope on any other rifle? If so you might need a spacer on the TRG42 as well.

An inexpensive way to test is to take 3-4 paint stirring sticks from home depot or Lowes (Free). 3 stacked together will get you to about max height without the bolt hitting the cheekpiece.

I use H4831SC. If I'm only shooting shorter ranges up to 1000yds 87gr, Lapua brass, Fed 210M and 250 Scenar. 2850ish FPS IIRC - softer , "Slow push" on the recoil. 88.5gr is another good node, recoil starts feeling a "little different" even a few tenths of a grain beyond this. 89gr and recoil is more abrupt, tolerable but noticeable. 87gr is like shooting suppressed more of a slowed push but very accurate for me. Zero pressure signs on the brass or indicated on the Chrony for any of these loads.

Save the 89-90gr type of loads for when you want to push the distance beyond 1500-2000 yds.

I have a Falcon 5-25x50 on my 280 Ackley improved and i believe the cheekpiece is raised a very small amount, but no where near the max height. Thank again everyone for the load info.