• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Just found out my ACOG is DOD owned

turbohardtop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Austin, TX
I was having problems with the elevation on my acog so I called into Trijicon. They said that the serial number belongs to DOD and they had to report it. I was wondering if anyone ran into this issue and what to expect. Thanks.

Reactions: PKelley
Re: Just found out my ACOG is DOD owned

Not surprised with the amount of gear that has been dished out over the years and simply written off, or was never delivered to the right unit in the first place. My guess (and that's all it is, a guess), is that it will be confiscated and they will want to know who you bought it from.

Hope you got it at a steal....
wink.gif

Don't wanna scare you, but you might want to consider lawyering up.

This is happening more and more. We have a large gun show here every 3 months and my buddy had to have a ACOG and a guy was walking around with two of them that had been used hard. He asked 300 for one and 200 for the other well DUH you should know its stolen military equipment. He bought both. He sent one in last year and they kept it and sent a very scary letter. He has yet to see any further action from it but he is still wondering.My wonder is about the person responsible for the equipment in the first place. A close friend did not sleep or eat for almost 2 days for misplacing his sidearm on a training mission in the hills of Kentucky.LOL Hope every thing works out for you.

Ya records are key. If you can prove you did not know it was stolen your fine.

Better don your ghillie and crawl into the woods for a while (LOL).

I tried to open an RMA to Trijicon since the scope has elevation issues. This is when they told me the scope belongs to DOD. I contacted the guy I traded with and he gave me the name who sold it to him. The strange thing is this unit still looks new. I guess it was never used in the field. I am not too concerned about DOD wanting it back because the scope is now useless to me with problem and warranty is declined on it. At least I have the old PM/IM that I used to communicate with the seller at the time I traded for this unit. Let me know if anyone had personal experience with DOD contacting them to get things back.

I traded a brand new Aimpoint T-1 with larue mount with some cash for this unit. I think it was an ok deal but but a "steal".

Alright, well, here's what happened to me.

I purchased a TA11F from a guy last August. Late September, I finally got out to shoot it, and I couldn't zero windage. Contacted Trijicon (since everyone says they'll take care of you), and got that same email/letter you got. Trijicon told me they reported it and that the DOD would be in contact with me about it. April of this year rolls around, and I'm thinking "WTF, why haven't they contacted me". I call back Trijicon, they say they hadn't reported it to the DOD since I hadn't sent it back. They then reported it and the DOD agent got in touch with me and asked for all the info I had. He said he would be in touch. August then rolls around, and I hadn't heard anything back. So I call him up asking WTF is going on. He then tells me that I'm not in any trouble, he just has no idea when they will get to those investigations. He said he could be calling me back in a month or he could retire before they got to them. He pretty much told me I have a broken ACOG for life. I have since contacted Trijicon to try and get it fixed since I got to hold onto it, but I have yet to receive a response from them.

Canuck...thanks for your story. I am not sure it I am going to send it back to Trijicon. They have told me that they won't honor the warranty so why pay to ship it to get no results. If DOD contacts me and want the scope back, I will gladly send it back with all the information they need. But until then I will have an expensive paperweight.

BTW, this will be my last Trijicon product new or used. I think they could have handled the situation better.

Ha, I know, their CS is terrible. I thought I had done my due diligence before I purchased it (this was before they stated they would not verify serial numbers anymore) by asking all the right questions, but apparently they "missed" that little fact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCCCanuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha, I know, their CS is terrible. I thought I had done my due diligence before I purchased it (this was before they stated they would not verify serial numbers anymore) by asking all the right questions, but apparently they "missed" that little fact.</div></div>

seriously,...would you service or repair a stolen product if it was your company?

count yourself lucky the feds didn't just visit, sieze the item and charge you with posession/handling stolen items.

Reactions: joel65

Have you ever met DOD guy's just listen for the faint sounds of thump of 40mm and RUN leaving the scope behind of course. Sorry just trying to lighten things up.

So I contacted my buddy I told you about they did get a bunch of info from him I think out of more interest in who sold it TO him rather than him. He ask if he would get in any trouble or have to go to court they said NO but they recommended him be wary in the future. If the deal is to good to be true most of the time it is. And like you he has a cool paperweight. But remember this your name is forever in some database attached to this. THUUMP THUUMP!!!!
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCCCanuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha, I know, their CS is terrible. I thought I had done my due diligence before I purchased it (this was before they stated they would not verify serial numbers anymore) by asking all the right questions, but apparently they "missed" that little fact.</div></div>

seriously,...would you service or repair a stolen product if it was your company?

count yourself lucky the feds didn't just visit, sieze the item and charge you with posession/handling stolen items. </div></div>

They actually said they would service it, but would charge me since I wasn't the original owner.

Don't see the advantage of an acog over the 1-4's available now, I'd just avoid trijicon's CS and save yourself the headache in the future.

Reactions: BigBoss

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. If you have already written the scope off as a loss they cant just charge you for having it. They have to prove way too many things for you to land in a hot seat. You don't get in trouble for handling a stolen scope if you don't know its stolen. There is no intent for a crime. You contacted them, your trying to get them their lost/stolen property back to them. Learn what your rights are, do the right thing and everything will be fine. If you keep sweating it consult a lawyer so you can sleep at night.

PS. The 4th & 5th Amendment's are a biotch... You have rights, You'll be fine
wink.gif

Reactions: LimaKilo and ACard

they aint gonna do shit in my opinion. they got far bigger shit to worry about then your little acog. now if it were 20 of them or something they may be interested in them. the juice ain't worth the squeeze here i doubt.

sorry for your loss....

Ummmmmmm. Me thinks I would be giving the broken piece of shit back to the guy I traded/bought it from, and getting my trade/$ back...

That guy got in your ass, not Trijicon. Be mad at him.

Reactions: Jsp556

Seems like Trijicon needs to take care of this issue. If there are problems with DOD scopes being out there they should allow the public to determine the status before buying one used. If they don't put this in place I'd never be comfortable buying a used one and certainly wouldn't purchase a new one because the resale value could effectively be zero if the issue isn't taken care of.

Reactions: OREGUN

+1 on getting a refund,
also DOD cant do anything to you,no intent to purchase stolen items. They have to prove that part for it to be a crime.

I'm kinda surprised by the stories of all the broken ACOGs. I thought those things were supposed to be near bullet proof, the way some owners rave about them.

Again, it would be very tough to prove someone knowingly bought or received stolen property of this type. I'm betting the DOD has bigger fish fry, in terms of missing property.

As usual, JRose knows of what he speaks. Why should Trijicon liable themselves because someone thought they were getting a half price scope? If it seems better than it should....you're buying stolen merchandise and don't expect the manufacturer to "go along with it". Get real, that's the stupidest shit I've seen here in a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ummmmmmm. Me thinks I would be giving the broken piece of shit back to the guy I traded/bought it from, and getting my trade/$ back...

That guy got in your ass, not Trijicon. Be mad at him. </div></div>

If I were considering buying a used Trijicon anything, I would first send Trijicon the serial number to check on it's status before finalizing the deal. If the seller has a problem with that, that's what I'd call a clue...

Working overseas I have heard of US Military equipment being sold like ACOGs, Aimpoints, EOTechs, and NVGs in bazaars. Obviously this stuff is all stolen. Anyone know what the repercussions would be of bringing that stuff home to the US? I have been tempted but the possible repercussions to me make it not worth it.

Your not going to be in any trouble, I use to do these investigations. The only person a DOD investigator will be concerned with is the person who actually stole the item from the DOD. Usually an investigator will try to trace the item back to the individual by following the paper trail, but 50% of the time it's a wasted effort. It really sucks that you can't get the scope fixed, it happens all the time.

Do yourself a favor and get your money back from the guy you bought it from,he is the one who sold you a stolen scope,if he hesitates,tell him you will be giving his name to the DOD guy as the person who sold it to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: killahog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was the scope traded for on the hide? </div></div>

It was on AR15.com actually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they aint gonna do shit in my opinion. they got far bigger shit to worry about then your little acog. now if it were 20 of them or something they may be interested in them. the juice ain't worth the squeeze here i doubt.

sorry for your loss.... </div></div>

I recently heard a story about a group of about 10 soldiers who "acquired" about 400 ACOG's. They attempted to sell them to a very well known, a very large sporting/outdoors company. The company figured something was wrong, and contacted the feds. Needless to say, they were not overlooked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbohardtop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: killahog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was the scope traded for on the hide? </div></div>

It was on AR15.com actually. </div></div>

Figures...

I'd be pro-active and call the DOD and tell them someone had sold you a stolen ACOG and you want to report them.

Give them the details and ask them what they want you to do.

Record the call and keep lots of notes, times, dates, who you talked to, etc.

I'd start at the nearest local military base and they will tell you where to call.

Keep notes/record every contact.

Had the same thing happen, sorta, with a surefire light. I bought it on ebay, then about 3 days later DOD called me and said they just wanted a statement from me saying that I had bought the light on ebay from this seller. They said that they didn't want the light but were pursuing charges on the seller.
They may do the same or they may take the acog from you. Good luck with it.

One thing to keep in mind for most states and federal law is that an element of the crime of possession of stolen property is that the person in possession had reason to believe, or a reasonable person in the same position would have reasonably believed, that the item was stolen.
From my experience way back when, the DoD is more concerned with nailing the people who took the items, not the people who have them now. Granted- they probably still want their property back.

Like Hellbender said, I think I would be pro-active about contacting DOD and keep all the records, etc.

That sucks, I am ad military, and see things like this happen frequently. Usually it is an ebay ad that is close to a large mil installation.. I remember a few years ago when there was an ad with seller from Kentuckey who had listed surefire hellfighters( about $5000 retail) with a buy it now of 1500.. Hope he was caught.

I had a similar issue with an acog a few years ago. Purchased on an ar15 at a large sporting goods retailer that bought the setup used.. The acog would'nt track for crap, sent it in to trijicon, got a similar reply, showed purchase records to them etc.. Was billed almost 280 to fix as not original owner. That was the last acog, I will use other than what is issued to me on my m4. Sold the acog with al recods of purchase, trijicon repair work etc included so buyer knew what he was getting. Lost my ass on it.. My ar15 went back to a 1.5x5 leupold and never will look back.
I hope it works out in the end..

Happened to me too, I bought one off of a large ebay optics retailer and when I called to verify the serial a couple months later, they told me it was DoD (mine did not have tracking problems). I ended up selling it to a guy locally to fund another optic, I disclosed the DoD status and he thought it was cool...... go figure.

Without reading the whole thread, they do auction stuff off. It isn't for sure stolen.

Im typing this from the prison guards phone he let me barrow for a minute since I turned an ACOG in for repair and the same thing happened....Now I have 2 years left till I see daylight.

Moral of the story here seems to be that if you want an Acog, buy it new in box from an authorized dealer that provides a receipt.

This issue has been on the increase because of the DOD DRMO program for LESO. The DOD is giving items like these to Police departmnet all over and if they do not work the department would send them to Trijicon and they would fix them free of charge, but after they got swamped with request to fix Military stuff is when they started this reporting to the DOD. so most likley the Person who took advantage of you is a POLICE OFFICER. also this items are being sold to pawn shops all around the US by our Troops. if it is a Police Officer the DOD writes it off there books and the Department can sell them but you would have bought it from them direct.

While none of us know the full story, I disagree with the likelihood of it coming from a LEO. Tons of these ACOGs have wrongfully grown legs over the years of OEF/OIF direct from DoD and DoS inventories.

There are so many of these. you'll be fine.

it's like those emails people would get saying 'we know you downloaded illegal content and it has been reported to the authorities'

nothing happens.

the military has other and more important manners to take care of.

just enjoy the paperweight.

Fast forward ten years and now you can buy one for $600-$800 from (I think) Optics Planet. I lost the ad or I'd link it. They look WELL used, or "silver with black highlights" --I know what I put my issued TA01 through and it never collected that much wear so I can only imagine. Nothing says they've been recharged/rebuilt either so if not, that'd be another $500+ to send it back. If not rebuilt, it's a horrible deal.

Plus I can imagine some being sent back and still coming up as DOD items...

I'm looking at having to send my TA01 in for a recharge, they'll do just the tritium, but noticed it picked up a small scratch on the eyepiece so thinking I'll just liquidate it with Tenebraex caps, ARD and laser filter for $600 --more shit and certainly in better shape.

Reactions: TheHorta

Working overseas I have heard of US Military equipment being sold like ACOGs, Aimpoints, EOTechs, and NVGs in bazaars. Obviously this stuff is all stolen. Anyone know what the repercussions would be of bringing that stuff home to the US? I have been tempted but the possible repercussions to me make it not worth it.

I believe there were even two bomb dogs being sold in a bazaar one time.