• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Just got my AICS, what now?

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I just got my AICS in the mail today and so far I love it. The rifle still needs a little work, though. Below is what's left of my build list. Just wanted your opinions on what to do next.

FWIW, it's a 700 Tac and optics are already in place.

1. Atlas bipod (currently sitting on a cheap Winchester from wally world)
2. AccuShot monopod
3. TAB sling with HK hooks
4. New trigger (probably a Jewell)
5. Rebarrel to 22"-24" with muzzlebreak
6. Comb riser
7. Cheekpad thumbscrews

I've just recently adopted the "buy once cry once" mantra so I want to do it right this time around. I want to start with the items that will have the greatest effect on performance then work my way to some of the smaller/more aesthetic items.

Any ideas? Something not on the list? Thanks a bunch.

Re: Just got my AICS, what now?

what now? shoot the s**t out of it! wear that barrel out, they shoot better than people give them credit for.

Not to be a smartass, but option 8...lots of ammo is most likely the best choice. Then when you shoot the hell out of it you will know which of the other options, if any, you will want.
If you Need to buy something else, I would opt for the Atlas.

Go and enjoy the new stock and shoot the hell out of it.

The Buy once cry once "mantra"... I love it
laugh.gif

Welcome to the club buddy.

Atlas is a big +1. Makes such a big difference to the rifle.

If you get into handloading, be sure to look at Alpha mags as you can get more OAL out of your loads with those bad boys.

I've seen a good many Factory Remington Varmint and SPS Tacticals shoot real well in these with just a little touch up. I would shoot it first and see what you got. Congrats on a great stock.

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

Just a heads up, but a Jewell trigger will require some mill work to be done on the chassis, if said Jewell trigger has a factory style safety. You will have to mill out a relief on the chassis where the safety lever is on the side of the trigger housing. It can be done with a dremel, but and end mill would make for much cleaner work.

I have a Rifle Basix in mine and it has functioned flawless and required no modification to the chassis.

HotRod308 is correct on the Jewell trigger...stock will need some grinding.
I put a Rifle Basix on my 700 Stainless Fluted Varmint .308 action and dropped in in the AICS 2.0..perfect fit w/no modifications. It has the safety & bolt release and extremely easy to adjust.

The only thing i did to the action is to lap the lugs, and it's shooting 1/2" to 3/4" MOA with my handloads. You might want to give that factory barrel a chance...might be better than you think! I have had some real accurate Rem factory barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Buy once cry once "mantra"... I love it
laugh.gif

Welcome to the club buddy.

Atlas is a big +1. Makes such a big difference to the rifle.

If you get into handloading, be sure to look at Alpha mags as you can get more OAL out of your loads with those bad boys.</div></div>

+10 on the "Buy once...."!

After six years of use in standard configuration, I've "upgraded" my AW over the winter....little detail "tweaks" rather than anything major (the rifle doesn't need too much improving IMHO!)

The Accustack riser is a cost-effective and brilliantly simple solution to getting a consistent, repeatable cheek weld - happy to recommend!

Just swapped my AI/PH bipod for the V8 Atlas with V2 spigot - - also happy to recommend. As vman says - it makes a big difference but you can still run it loose if preferred/necessary...plus those 45 degree legs! Great!

Bolt it in and shoot the barrel out, making each shot count. By the time you get 5K+ well practiced shots downrange you won't need peanut gallery input on if you should get a thumbscrew for your cheekpiece or a different comb riser than the one AI already perfected.

Lots of components. SHOOT IT!

I'm about to pick me up an AICS, too. Which one did you get? I'm leaning toward the 1.5 because I don't need the folder.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Sorry guys, I should have mentioned. I've owned the rifle for about 2 years now so its not new to me. It has about 900 rounds downrange. I'd go out and shoot the hell out of it but unfortunately this storm has left about 16" of snow on the ground and the only range open year round is closed for a couple weeks to do renovations. Meanwhile I sit here and let the addiction take over while I watch my wallet shrink rapidly. I already reload so that's also taken care of. 175 SMKs pushed by 45.2 gr of Varget.

The optic is a 6-25 Millett LRS in TPS medium rings. It has served it purpose very well for me so an upgrade won't be until later down the line when I can afford an ST10.

Might as well get a Pelican/ Storm case and cut the foam to fit, I don't think you will be changing anything when you get it put together. Keep the piece of foam from your barrel section in case you end up with a shorter barrel in the future.

Trigger, from what I've seen it can make the biggest difference of anything you can do to a rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might as well get a Pelican/ Storm case and cut the foam to fit, I don't think you will be changing anything when you get it put together. Keep the piece of foam from your barrel section in case you end up with a shorter barrel in the future. </div></div>

A Pelican will be ordered the day I finish this project. The cherry on top, if you will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nmmi9100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of components. SHOOT IT!

I'm about to pick me up an AICS, too. Which one did you get? I'm leaning toward the 1.5 because I don't need the folder.

-David
Edgewood, NM </div></div>

I went with the 1.5. Unless you have a desperate need for a folding stock, I can't see getting any practical use out of it other than storage. To me it's just one more thing that can break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBore56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HotRod308 is correct on the Jewell trigger...stock will need some grinding.
I put a Rifle Basix on my 700 Stainless Fluted Varmint .308 action and dropped in in the AICS 2.0..perfect fit w/no modifications. It has the safety & bolt release and extremely easy to adjust.

The only thing i did to the action is to lap the lugs, and it's shooting 1/2" to 3/4" MOA with my handloads. You might want to give that factory barrel a chance...might be better than you think! I have had some real accurate Rem factory barrels. </div></div>

I'm not gonna dispute that Remington puts out great factory barrels. A few of my groups have measured as small as 1/2" (It was in a Competitive Edge chassis before this one). I'd really like a 22" full tapered barrel with a muzzlebreak, though.

My suggestion would be to get an Atlas bipod, and don't spend your money on the mono pod. It has plenty of cool factor when taking pictures of your rifle but doesn't really beat the bag when shooting in the dirt.
The thing that bothered me about my two AICS stocks was the edges of the covers are sharp and sometimes don't mesh exactly. My solution was to take a butane torch and lightly go around the edges to smooth them out.
Enjoy,
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My suggestion would be to get an Atlas bipod, and don't spend your money on the mono pod. It has plenty of cool factor when taking pictures of your rifle but doesn't really beat the bag when shooting in the dirt.
The thing that bothered me about my two AICS stocks was the edges of the covers are sharp and sometimes don't mesh exactly. My solution was to take a butane torch and lightly go around the edges to smooth them out.
Enjoy,
SScott </div></div>

Yeah I did notice that the fit between the two halves isn't quite perfect. I know they're just skins and it has no bearing on performance but for almost $900 it would be nice to have a little better fit and finish. That said, they are molded plastic and there's some inherent disadvantages that come along with that process than a solid piece of wood or aluminum, etc. I'm sure if I were to buy another pair of skins they would have the same problems but in different areas.

When you took the torch to yours, did you reform/mold any of the plastic or did you just let it settle and kinda mesh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
When you took the torch to yours, did you reform/mold any of the plastic or did you just let it settle and kinda mesh? </div></div>
Notice where your skins aren't fitting like you would like, the grip and trigger area were I noticed it most.
Take your stock skins off and with a small butane torch, heat just the edges that are not flush. Keep the flame about two inches away and make quick sweeping passes along the edges.
You will not try to totally reform the edges, you want to apply just enough heat to round over the sharp edges.
Clear as mud?
I hope this helps.
SScott

Or you could let me know when you are ready. I have a case out in the tahoe with the foam already cut out for an AI. Sorry for the shameless sales pitch!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1. Atlas bipod (currently sitting on a cheap Winchester from wally world)
2. AccuShot monopod
3. TAB sling with HK hooks
4. New trigger (probably a Jewell)
5. Rebarrel to 22"-24" with muzzlebreak
6. Comb riser
7. Cheekpad thumbscrews
Any ideas? Something not on the list? Thanks a bunch. </div></div>

I had my first range trip with my new AICS build on Saturday and thought I'd share a bit:

First, I wouldn't be too quick to rebarrel it unless you're intent on changing calibers. My thought was to shoot it with the factory barrel and see what I had before investing in a match grade and I'm glad I did. Using just some off the shelf 95g SSTs it far exceeded my expectations. You might be surprised.

As to the trigger, I wasn't happy with the factory SPS trigger. I had it turned down to about 4 pounds and it was just inconsistent as hell. It didn't seem like any two trigger pulls felt the same and the trigger gauge showed the same.

I went with a Timney and it was money very very well spent. I dropped it off on a Monday and less than 48 hours later they had it ready for pickup. Great folks to deal with and the price to put it on was reasonable.

Once you get some good glass and solid mounts, I'd say hold off on anything until you get some trigger time in.