• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Just got myself a ka-bar, anything I need to know?

NorthWinds

Private
Minuteman
I got a ka-bar for my birthday. I'll be using it primarily as a survival/camp knife and to keep in my bug-out bag in case of emergencies. The blade on this thing is huge. Anybody own one and want to let me know what they like/don't like about it and if there are any issues to be aware of?

I don't like anymore fast-drawing it from a shouldered reverse-scabbard, because that has leaved a permanent mark on my knee,watching tv_
no,don't need to be sharpened, right out of the box_

Damn you all ;-)
I've been looking at Ka-Bars...the quintessential knife.
But have been holding off because I really don't need one.
Thanks to this thread I just pulled the trigger on Amazon.
Should be here end of week.

Just like your red rider bb gun you can put your eye out

I have several, you will like it for just about everything. I have one I use as a "beater"; opening beers, driving nails after too many beers, throwing into tree after more beers. Oh, yeah, and it's caped/gutted/quartered/boned many pigs and some elk; you'll have Popeye forearms after awhile, but it works well without having to switch to a cleaver. Just hammer away at those bones and joints! Just kidding, mostly, but it's probably the toughest knife you'll ever own. Yours is probable the high-carbon steel, easy to sharpen, holds edge fairly well depending on task, but needs touch-up more often than some, if you want the razor sharpness. Check out the company and web-site, they have a great line up, many knives for different purposes, fair prices, but they give discounts to dealers, so they are the best and usually cheapest sources. One's just not enough! I've also given a few away on mounts as gifts. The full size one is a little outdated for hiking/camping, as there are newer and lighter and better steel edged weapons available today, but when somebody sees the old KaBar, they like to acknowledge and admire it!

If you don't want to be bloody.... cut towards a buddy.

(and not towards yourself)

If your about to drop it hop out of the way fast. I tried to catch it, actually caught it by the handle but my fingers slipped and barley touched the blade but I was cut like a fish shooting blood.

I really like the Kabar and Camilus offshoot of the Kabar knife. I think they are one of the most under rated knives out there. They do what they were designed to do quite well, and you aren't out a month's wages if you loose one.

The only complaint I have about them, is that the handle is round, and can tend to roll in your hand. As the handle is made out of leather, a couple of minutes with a wood rasp fixes the handle into a nice oval shape that won't roll around in your hand. Then use a round wood rasp to re-cut the grooves around the handle, and re-dye the handle. They look great, and feel even better than before. To add even better grip, get some bicycle tire inner tube, cut it into strips like a thick rubber band, and double the band around the grooves in the handle. You then end up with an oval handle with some really sticky rubber that works great.

Got mine right here. I got a great deal on mine because it was engraved to be presented to a Marine upon retirement, but the engraver misspelled the name. I got it for $35.00.
Good knife, but I do not use it a lot. Still sharp with a little touch up after 15 years.

Dont leave it unattended around your jackass platoon mates or when you return from taking a crap in the jungle you will find they tried to throw it and put a nice 10-15 degree bend in the handle at the hilt.

I think they were mad that we were on patrol and they were missing a night in Olongapo. I understood their frustration and the knife was still serviceable, besides they are a dime a dozen....

but you never love those that come after the first as much.

PS - A KaBar will throw nicely and stick pretty deep as long as your target is on the ground and within 2-3 feet of your feet. Think straddling a log and you want to plant the blade in the log. Wing your arm back and do almost a backhand slap letting the hilt slide from your palm. Do it hard enough it gets like Excaliber trying to pull it from the log.

I dont recommend trying to stick a boar with it.....

It just merely bounces off the ribs and the boar didnt like it.

And if you and a buddy practice knife fighting with one, prepare to be cut, they seek blood and soft tissue on their own....I know.

if you insert it just to the right of the spine at the base of the skull in a forward and upward motion, when it reaches the hilt move it right and left, you will be left holding a sack of shit

I love this knife. Anyone if anyone currently serving in the military can point out the best way to wear this thing with your tactical vest and everything that'd be great.

We don't wear them. They sit in the arms room collecting dust until we get them out for a change of command or an inventory. The Marines like to get them out and mount them everyonce in a while, but that is kind of their thing.

The sheaf was made to go on the old pistol belts and hasn't been updated since then, so there is really no good way to mount them other than just sliding the attachment through your molle. Cool knife to own, but not really very functional now days. Maybe this Russian thing will kick off and we can go back to trench warfare, we will see.

****EDIT**** I'm a moron, I was tired and was thinking you were talking about our bayonets. A lot of guys have Kbars, they just stuff them behind mag pouches.

Last edited:
Concerning wear....They were a regular sight on the pistol belt during the 80's/early 90's. Kind of too big for mounting to an H/Y harness though some liked to go commando.

SNCO were issued them in lieu of a bayonet and wore it opposite their sidearm on the pistol belt. Ditto others issued pistols. Those issued a rifle were issued a bayonet. A KA-Bar is more functional than a bayonet but you were responsible for and expected to carry the bayonet. I guess the bayonet has been updated these days to serve a dual role between useless and useful.

Classic KABar sightings/wear examples - On Frank Sousleys right hip in the Iwo Jima flag raising photo and in Charles Waterhouse' painting "Since 1775".