• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft just painted my rifle

briancdoran

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2009
Corona, California. so cal ie
Really enjoyed some diy camo jobs here on fieldcraft. This is my first bolt build, remington 700 police in 300 wm. Thanks.
IMG_0030.jpg

Re: just painted my rifle

Krylon Camo is a good system... I love the stuff!! You did a good job Bro!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you use krylon on your AR as well??? looks good. </div></div>
no krylon on the ar..however I used the advice from fieldcraft on the safe/fire ingraving. I used some lumber crayons to fill the voids, and then rubed out the excess.

here's a pic of the ar with the remington, you can see the safe/fire indentations a little better. Just bought my wife an slr camera to loosen up some husband funds on rife building so we took some pics last night of these.
IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Mate that looks Friggin awesome, Any idea which colours you used? I have bben trying to achieve a similar look but I cant get the right colours

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awaken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mate that looks Friggin awesome, Any idea which colours you used? I have bben trying to achieve a similar look but I cant get the right colours </div></div>

thanks, used krylon spray paint camo. They have green, black, brown, and tan. although I didn't use the brown.

I like the contrast/break up you've achieved. If you have time to reply, did you use any primer coats before applying the camo?

This is where I typically ruin the item with successive colors that blend everything together and no contrast.

Gorge Drifter said:
I like the contrast/break up you've achieved. If you have time to reply, did you use any primer coats before applying the camo?

This is where I typically ruin the item with successive colors that blend everything together and no contrast. [/quote
I didn't use any primer before, the only setup I did at all was a acetone rub down, then a healthy sanding with a super fine grit sanding spongeblock, followed by a acetone rubdown again. I used a tutorial on here and on a few other sights to give me the basic routine. first with the black matte, I painted it in 100 degree weather too so it was practicaly dry by the time the paint hit the rifle. Found a rifle that I wanted to emulate on r and d precision's website. gallery page two. I blew up the picture to near actual size on my computer screen, and then got out a place mat from the kitchen(the wife was looking at me like that was the last time she was going to see that placemat, and she was right) I used the smooth surface of the cheap placemat to place blue masking tape on, overlapping about a quarter inch or so, the whole thing, both sides. Looking at the shapes on rifle,now blown up to life size on the screen of the computer, began to draw out the patterns. marking them for fast reference. pulled out the exacto knife and cut them out. The black was long dry now and I put the corosponding black shapes onto the rifle. Then I sprayed tan. Let it dry and put shapes on the rifle where I wanted it to remain tan, then sprayed the whole thing green. after it dryed, I peeled off the tape and clearcoated it with krylon matte. thanks for your interest.

here is a picture of the stock I was trying to emulate
rd.jpg

here is a pic of my stock
IMG_0030.jpg

It looks like you sent it off to a professional place that costs big bucks. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply, I really appreciate it. Can't wait to start my projects. I hope to see more. Take care

Good looking work. I'd say you emulated the paint job very well. I've been wanting to paint my B&C, and I think you just helped me make up my mind.

I agree i am now thinking about painting my B&C how did you make the pattern so definitive. I mean no bleading or running of the colors. great job!!!!!!!

Nice! Here's what I did with my 40X Remmy in 222 Remington Magnum. It's wood underneath that snakeskin pattern.

Fishing079.jpg

Fishing081.jpg

Fishing083.jpg

Fishing084.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boots</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you use krylon on your AR as well??? looks good. </div></div>
no krylon on the ar..however I used the advice from fieldcraft on the safe/fire ingraving. I used some lumber crayons to fill the voids, and then rubed out the excess.</div></div>

Hey boots...great job!

Sick AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kstraughen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how did you make the pattern so definitive. I mean no bleading or running of the colors.</div></div>he probably made sure the tape was well stuck, then sprayed from a good 8" distance or more using very light coats so as to avoid bleeds & runs.

Nice work. Thanks for sharing the tips on how you accomplished your work. I have a Stevens 200 in .270 I got this spring for a steal NIB (I moonlight at a sports store). I got it due to the price and to have as an extra for hunting in case the wife/kid/friend wants to run to the woods.

The problem is it has a hideous tan stock that I hate. I live in AL so, desert is not tactikewl. I will either dye it black or do a similar paint job as you. Man....the snakeskin deal many folks are doing is sure cool too.....then again....it is a cheapo Stevens that will likely be pulled out on rainy days, etc. All I want to do is get rid of the tan.

Hay that is smashing. I also want to join army because i am keen interested in weapons.