• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes *JUST RELEASED* Nightforce NX8 FFP 1-8x24mm 30mm Tube & ATACR F1 1-8x24mm 34mm Tube Models

Thanks for the reply!

I read the thread before posting, but I don’t understand what an operator loses in any circumstance by shrinking the center dot to .5 MOA. Maybe someone more experienced than I can explain this to me. I don’t see the advantage of any magnification above about 4x with a 1.25 MOA center dot. Sure I could shoot silhouettes with it, but the dot covers 1/3 of the target at 400 yards. That’s barely more precise than a 2MOA red dot (ok it’s 60% more precise).

Certainly at longer range the windage markings are more useful than the dot if you choose not to dial in windage, but what if I prefer to dial in windage? What if it’s not windy?

I’m not being facecious. I am trying to understand where this optic is more useful than a SFP 1-4. Is the only incremental advantage the daytime illumination?

Well it's FFP and if you use the reticle to hold you are going to be down where it is skinny anyway.

Any chance someone can provide some pics of the reticle at various magnifications and brightness settings?
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to some hands on Tube video feedback from real owners, I'm stuck between buying the NXS 1-4 and getting one of these for all round use.

Well it's FFP and if you use the reticle to hold you are going to be down where it is skinny anyway.

Thanks for the response.

Certainly one could use the reticle holdovers, I just think it’s a shame to have to on an optic with a zero-stop elevation turret.

Really appreciate the reviews.
Can't wait for the ACTAR one. Wondering if clearer glass will help mitigate eye box issues at 1x

Personally I will buy if they release as SFP. I care more about eyebox and FOV on a lpvo than I do precision shooting ability.

I’m also scratching my head wondering what difference the extra two inches in length mean on a weapon that is supposed to be concealable and covert. Read, even the shortest of PDW weapons can accomadate the myriad of lpvo’s on the market. I think squeezing the 8x of this and trying to check ALL the boxes results in a “okay” shooting experience where it counts most with these optics...close to mid range. I fail to see any practical advantage to this over the Khales k16 or even Razor. As it stands now this a jack of all trades master of none in my book, hopefully a sfp version/lower mag version is in the works.

Last edited:
Personally I will buy if they release as SFP. I care more about eyebox and FOV on a lpvo than I do precision shooting ability.

I’m also scratching my head wondering what difference the extra two inches in length mean on a weapon that is supposed to be concealable and covert. Read, even the shortest of PDW weapons can accomadate the myriad of lpvo’s on the market. I think squeezing the 8x of this and trying to check ALL the boxes results in a “okay” shooting experience where it counts most with these optics...close to mid range. I fail to see any practical advantage to this over the Khales k16 or even Razor. As it stands now this a jack of all trades master of none in my book, hopefully a sfp version/lower mag version is in the works.

If you fail to see the practical advantage then go buy a Kahles or Razor. They are good SFP choices. I highly doubt NF is going to completely re-engineer the NX8 and ATACR to produce a SFP version.

Help me understand why I wouldn't be at max mag range when looking at a target at 500 yrds? I trying to compare the NX8 to the K16i. I realize the optics are built differently, but is the extra 2x at the top end worth the loss in eyebox and FOV.

If you fail to see the practical advantage then go buy a Kahles or Razor. They are good SFP choices. I highly doubt NF is going to completely re-engineer the NX8 and ATACR to produce a SFP version.

Firstly, IMO there is no practical advantage to a 8x compared to a 6x on a rifle that will only go to 5-600yds. I say those ranges because LPVO are typically used on close to mid-range platforms. In the event someone’s specific application makes it the 8x an advantage, I fail to see how it is worth it at the expense of such a tight and unforgiving eyebox. As far as FFP vs SFP on an LPVO I think many will be at max power at extended diatances so the FFP is unnecessary.

As far as “reengineering” for SFP this is from Nightforce rep: “They were designed to be corrected in 1st or 2nd foal plane, so it is possible and has been discussed, but there are no immediate plans at the moment. Over the course of this year, we will continue to evaluate the market for such application.”

I adore Nightforce products and am always recommending them. My work rifle wears and ATACR and my personal sports the NXS. I waited for the NX8 but feel its a matter of “jack of all trades” master of none. By checking all the boxes (ie. 8x, FFP, compact package) the product is mediocre in all fields with the exception of brightness and size. I’m sure its selling like crazy and in the end, my opinion means nothing. But those are my 100% unbiased thoughs on a product that I was ready to buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDMRN81 and Mwalex
Firstly, IMO there is no practical advantage to a 8x compared to a 6x on a rifle that will only go to 5-600yds. I say those ranges because LPVO are typically used on close to mid-range platforms. In the event someone’s specific application makes it the 8x an advantage, I fail to see how it is worth it at the expense of such a tight and unforgiving eyebox.

As far as “reengineering” for SFP this is from Nightforce rep: “They were designed to be corrected in 1st or 2nd foal plane, so it is possible and has been discussed, but there are no immediate plans at the moment. Over the course of this year, we will continue to evaluate the market for such application.”

Do you own either a NX8 or an ATACR? Or are you just regurgitating info from others regarding the eye box?

I’ve yet to run into a situation with my NX8 where the “tight and unforgiving” eye box was an issue.

Help me understand why I wouldn't be at max mag range when looking at a target at 500 yrds? I trying to compare the NX8 to the K16i. I realize the optics are built differently, but is the extra 2x at the top end worth the loss in eyebox and FOV.
In my opinion after handling and using the NX8, it is not. YMMV so I highly recommend you check them out in person and figure how you will use it more prior to purchase
Do you own either a NX8 or an ATACR? Or are you just regurgitating info from others regarding the eye box?

I’ve yet to run into a situation with my NX8 where the “tight and unforgiving” eye box was an issue.

My buddy got his and I was able to spend some time behind it. I don’t speak on things unless I’ve experienced them firsthand. I certainly noticed the eyebox and compared to others in its price range its among the worst. Hell, its so sensitive it gives the illusion of illumination “flickering” just like the mk6/mk8.

I’m glad you like yours and didn’t notice it. But for someone who cares about eyebox and fov, or will mainly be using it as a close range optic, I for one found it too narrow and sensitive for what it costs. Like I said, for those purposes and price, better options exist.

Sounds to me like you “evaluated” your buddy’s optic without it mounted to a rifle. The flickering illumination has already been addressed by the NF rep, and it simply isn’t present when the optic is on a rifle.

Regarding the eye box, which is probably one of the most over-hyped and mis-represented qualities of LPVO in general, if you can’t get into the eye box on 1x-4x with an acceptable amount of speed, then you probably need to work on how you mount the rifle. Whether I’m shooting slick, with soft armor or hard plates, in a t-shirt or a heavy jacket, with or without a ballistic helmet, at 1x the optic functions just like a red dot. I am not any slower with the NX8 compared to my standard Aimpoint T-2 on a 14.5” 5.56 Carbine. Around barricades, under vehicles, through ports, standing/kneeling/prone, it doesn’t matter.

Yes, the eye box is tight at higher magnification, but in what scenario is someone going to take snap shot at 6x-8x that requires so much speed there isn’t time to slightly adjust cheekweld or find support for the rifle? If youre in any sort of environment where the potential for an in-your-face engagement exists, but you’re running the optic at high magnification, then you’re probably running an offset sighting system of some sort, and you’d use that instead of shooting at 6x-8x, so the tight eye box is a non issues.

The NX8 is in a class of its own, and it’s pointless to compare it to anything else. I look at this like I looked at the Leupy Mk6 3-18 when it was released. Was the glass the greatest? No. Did the image quality degrade at high magnification? Yes. But for it’s intended purpose and target user, it was the only game in town. Now look at the field, ultra shorts are all the rage and glass/specs/options have all improved greatly. The NX8 is probably going to drive advancements in the LPVO category, much like the Mk6 did for the ultra shorts. If it’s not for you, then it’s not for you. Run a Kahles or a Razor if you want SFP and their accompanying FOV, size and/or weight.

It gets tiring reading about people gripe about eyebox, field of view, cost, etc etc etc. Buy something else if the NX8 or ATACR doesn’t fit your needs.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you “evaluated” your buddy’s optic without it mounted to a rifle. The flickering illumination has already been addressed by the NF rep, and it simply isn’t present when the optic is on a rifle.

Regarding the eye box, which is probably one of the most over-hyped and mis-represented qualities of LPVO in general, if you can’t get into the eye box on 1x-4x with an acceptable amount of speed, then you probably need to work on how you mount the rifle. Whether I’m shooting slick, with soft armor or hard plates, in a t-shirt or a heavy jacket, with or without a ballistic helmet, at 1x the optic functions just like a red dot. I am not any slower with the NX8 compared to my standard Aimpoint T-2 on a 14.5” 5.56 Carbine. Around barricades, under vehicles, through ports, standing/kneeling/prone, it doesn’t matter.

Yes, the eye box is tight at higher magnification, but in what scenario is someone going to take snap shot at 6x-8x that requires so much speed there isn’t time to slightly adjust cheekweld or find support for the rifle? If youre in any sort of environment where the potential for an in-your-face engagement exists, but you’re running the optic at high magnification, then you’re probably running an offset sighting system of some sort, and you’d use that instead of shooting at 6x-8x, so the tight eye box is a non issues.

The NX8 is in a class of its own, and it’s pointless to compare it to anything else. I look at this like I looked at the Leupy Mk6 3-18 when it was released. Was the glass the greatest? No. Did the image quality degrade at high magnification? Yes. But for it’s intended purpose and target user, it was the only game in town. Now look at the field, ultra shorts are all the rage and glass/specs/options have all improved greatly. The NX8 is probably going to drive advancements in the LPVO category, much like the Mk6 did for the ultra shorts. If it’s not for you, then it’s not for you. Run a Kahles or a Razor if you want SFP and their accompanying FOV, size and/or weight.

It gets tiring reading about people griping about eyebox, field of view, cost, etc etc etc. Buy something else if the NX8 or ATACR doesn’t fit your needs.

Initially yes it was unmounted, however I checked it out again after it was on the rifle and spent sometime with it and did basic drills/shooting.

You inquired whether I was regurgitating the complaints of others, so clearly I’m not the only one who feels the way I do about it. Again I’m glad you like yours and its eyebox/fov is satisfactory to you. I was disappointed by it. My splits (eotech vs t-1) corroborate my preference, although in full disclosure reticle size could be the main reason for those results; regardless I like what I like. As far as flicker other owners have reported the issue as well, so its not like I’m making this stuff up. Yes, it was only noticeable at 8x on the rifle, but it was there nonetheless. Some owner even mentioned he found the 8x so unuseabke due to reticle size and sensitivity he doesn’t even go that high.

You keep highlighting its size and weight but its only 2” shorter than most LPVO and its weight is on par as well. Its greatest feats size and weight are negligible compared to other 30mm tube LPVO.

As far as everyone bitching I do intend to wait and see if they release a sfp version prior ti buying and only posted my unbiased opinion when people asked about certain aspects in this thread.

Last edited:
Initially yes it was unmounted, however I checked it out again after it was on the rifle and spent sometime with it and did basic drills/shooting.

You inquired whether I was regurgitating the complaints of others, so clearly I’m not the only one who feels the way I do about it. Again I’m glad you like yours and its eyebox/fov is satisfactory to you. I was disappointed by it. My splits (eotech vs t-1) corroborate my preference, although in full disclosure reticle size could be the main reason for those results; regardless I like what I like. As far as flicker other owners have reported the issue as well, so its not like I’m making this stuff up.

Yup, I did ask if you were regurgitating information, because that is what the vast majority of posters in this thread are doing. There is a whole lot of speculation and assumption, and not a lot of first-hand knowledge, being posted in this thread. No offense, but I don't put a lot weight on information gleaned from borrowing a buddy's rifle and shooting a few basic drills during what was probably one range session.

Nobody is talking about Eotech vs T-1. Talk to me when you compare a T-1 (single dot) to a NX8 (single dot) to eliminate the reticle preference bias. Same rifle, same mount height, same ammo, same targets, etc., and I bet you'd find that you're just as fast with the NX8.

The flicker issue has been talked about, and addressed. It's a limitation of the illumination system, and isn't present when the optic is mounted on a rifle. Not really debatable.

coming from a trijicon 1-8x28, i like the atacr a lot more.

MS8puYs.jpg

J8Vqgmk.jpg

older pics, scope has been painted to match the sr15 (y)

I have now had my NX8 for a week, and as it turned out I was able to shoot quite a bit this week. I have really shaken it out. I have shot it both long range (600 +) and up close/cqb drills. I was teaching an advanced rifle class this week, so I was behind the gun for two good days. I’ve held off until now to share my opinion. I can say now, comfortably that this scope is a FANTASTIC offering from NF. I think it seriously raises the bar for LPV’s. I have shot many of the LPV’s on the market. Examples of scopes I’ve spent time behind: Bushnell Elite Tactical in 1-6 and 1-8.5, Burris XTR IN 1-5 and 1-8, Vortex PSR, Strike Eagle, Razor, Trijicon, Primary Arms standard and Platinum, maybe more. I say this just to give an example of my experience with LPV’s. This new NX8 is my new favorite!! By a fair margin. It has glass on par with any of the higher end Japanese glass. What makes this scope really stand out for me is the size and weight. This scope packs a ton of scope into its small size. The reticle I run is the mil. I have the dual capped, and for me, in the military/LEO usage, that makes sense, I think. It’s pretty easy to remember 0-200 is point of aim, 300 is a mil +-
So, to the edge of the .223/5.56, the capped is fine for our usage. The NX8 is incredibly light for a 1-8, and the illumination is WAY daylight bright. Middle of the day, Las Vegas, Nv, and I was only running it on 7/8, it is plenty bright.

I can definitely say that NF has absolutely changed the game in LPV’s with this offering. I look forward to playing with the ATACR, just haven’t yet.

I will definitely be keeping this scope. I think it will be a dominator is 3Gun, or any competition gun games. I can also see it being very popular on LEO rifles. Cost wise, it should fall in around the Razor level. In my opinion it has the Razor beat. It’s lighter, has better illumination, is more powerful, and it’s a FFP. That allows it to be run as an Aimpoint/red dot on 1X, or crank it up to 8X, and shoot as far as the 5.56 is capable.

For me, the NF will stay on my 3Gun Rifle. My Razor will go on another AR-15, but play double duty on my 16” gasser for hogs, etc.

I will be happy to answer any questions on this scope. Anything I missed here, just ask. I’m really hyped on this scope, if you can’t tell.

Getting ready to pull the trigger (pun intended) on the NX8 but couldn't understand the difference between the C599 and C598. It is, as you pointed out that the elevation is capped on the LE/Mil version (C599) and uncapped (C598) on the other (both have windage capped if I understand correctly). Question, why? The LE/Mil, is about $45 cheaper than the commercial version which has the ZeroStop, now I'm not sure which one I want. Why did you get the capped one and not the ZeroStop? I'm, convinced I'm missing something or is it just personal preference? Thanks in advance!

Anyone happen to have gotten the atacr and didn’t fall in love with it and wouldn’t mind letting go of it? Lol :unsure: make it worth your time lol

coming from a trijicon 1-8x28, i like the atacr a lot more.

older pics, scope has been painted to match the sr15 (y)

Nice rifle! Is that the Geissele Super Precision in standard or extended length? I'm trying to decide between the standard (05-417B) and extended (05-405B) models and I'm not sure which is a good length for an ATACR on my AR-15.

I have 2 NXS1-8 MOA arriving tomorrow and should get range zero/test Friday on a Mega AR15 and an MCX 300 BO

Any reason the NX8 couldn’t do double duty on a 14.5” AR15 and a 16” LR308?

The AR15 wears an EoTech EXPS3 most of the time, but the LR308 has no optic at the moment.

Getting ready to pull the trigger (pun intended) on the NX8 but couldn't understand the difference between the C599 and C598. It is, as you pointed out that the elevation is capped on the LE/Mil version (C599) and uncapped (C598) on the other (both have windage capped if I understand correctly). Question, why? The LE/Mil, is about $45 cheaper than the commercial version which has the ZeroStop, now I'm not sure which one I want. Why did you get the capped one and not the ZeroStop? I'm, convinced I'm missing something or is it just personal preference? Thanks in advance!

Sorry but where are you seeing a capped elevation turret NX8. I cant seem to find that product number anywhere on their website. Or do you have to call them?

The reason I like the capped version is the possibility of the turrets getting bumped and turned/moved. In law enforcement these scopes get moved in and out of vehicles, put in rifle racks, put in trunks of vehicles, generally are subject to being bumped, brushed around, moved etc. I am of the opinion that having a solid zero, and having the turrets capped is FAR more secure. If I set a 50/200 zero, I know I’m solid poa/poi from contact to approximately 250 yards. In civilian law enforcement, the chances of taking a shot out past 250 yds is INCREDIBLY low. If, and this is an incredibly low probability if, a shot had to be taken past that range, I could hold 1mil in the very simple, uncluttered reticle, and be on at 300yds. So for me, the precision of the 1-8 is great. The ability to take a precise shot is excellent, and FAR more likely than having to dial for distance on a long shot. I like the ability to identify a weapon in the hand vs a black cell phone, but I don’t anticipate having to take a shot where dialing elevation would be necessary. So, I believe in Law Enforcement, the benefits of capped turrets, the peace of mind of my turrets not getting bumped and turned somehow far outweigh the ability to quickly dial for distance.

Any reason the NX8 couldn’t do double duty on a 14.5” AR15 and a 16” LR308?

The AR15 wears an EoTech EXPS3 most of the time, but the LR308 has no optic at the moment.

I have done similar in the past. The key will be a top shelf mount like LaRue OBR or NF Uniount for quick/RE;I able change and documented zero change

Sorry but where are you seeing a capped elevation turret NX8. I cant seem to find that product number anywhere on their website. Or do you have to call them?
Was just wondering that myself, the two published NX8 part numbers are C598 and C600 as far as I see.

Nobody is talking about Eotech vs T-1. Talk to me when you compare a T-1 (single dot) to a NX8 (single dot) to eliminate the reticle preference bias. Same rifle, same mount height, same ammo, same targets, etc., and I bet you'd find that you're just as fast with the NX8.

This. Or K16i, or any good 1x.

I have done similar in the past. The key will be a top shelf mount like LaRue OBR or NF Uniount for quick/RE;I able change and documented zero change

I’ve got a pair of LaRue mounts (one 30 mm and one 34 mm) that should work. I realize that the ATACR is likely the better fit for a 308 AR, but it’s not an option at the moment as I just bought a RPR to give precision rifle a try.

I saw something about 308 recoil causing the shooter to come out of the eye box on the NX8. Any further developments there? Or is that something that just needs to be fixed with trigger time.

I’ve got a pair of LaRue mounts (one 30 mm and one 34 mm) that should work. I realize that the ATACR is likely the better fit for a 308 AR, but it’s not an option at the moment as I just bought a RPR to give precision rifle a try.

I saw something about 308 recoil causing the shooter to come out of the eye box on the NX8. Any further developments there? Or is that something that just needs to be fixed with trigger time.
My NX8 should be here this week or next. I ran nxs scopes on 308 gas guns for years, never had an issue with the eye box under recoil. Im sure the atacr is easier, but solid fundamentals are what matter here. Just train it well and youll be fine.

My NX8 should be here this week or next. I ran nxs scopes on 308 gas guns for years, never had an issue with the eye box under recoil. Im sure the atacr is easier, but solid fundamentals are what matter here. Just train it well and youll be fine.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Pretty sure I’m getting an NX8 MRAD shortly.

Was just wondering that myself, the two published NX8 part numbers are C598 and C600 as far as I see.

The capped turrets are an LE/Mil option only. I suspect they will eventually add it to the commercial product line.

The capped are offered on the LE/Mil version only for now.

The reason I like the capped version is the possibility of the turrets getting bumped and turned/moved. In law enforcement these scopes get moved in and out of vehicles, put in rifle racks, put in trunks of vehicles, generally are subject to being bumped, brushed around, moved etc. I am of the opinion that having a solid zero, and having the turrets capped is FAR more secure. If I set a 50/200 zero, I know I’m solid poa/poi from contact to approximately 250 yards. In civilian law enforcement, the chances of taking a shot out past 250 yds is INCREDIBLY low. If, and this is an incredibly low probability if, a shot had to be taken past that range, I could hold 1mil in the very simple, uncluttered reticle, and be on at 300yds. So for me, the precision of the 1-8 is great. The ability to take a precise shot is excellent, and FAR more likely than having to dial for distance on a long shot. I like the ability to identify a weapon in the hand vs a black cell phone, but I don’t anticipate having to take a shot where dialing elevation would be necessary. So, I believe in Law Enforcement, the benefits of capped turrets, the peace of mind of my turrets not getting bumped and turned somehow far outweigh the ability to quickly dial for distance.

Excellent, thanks for the reply and makes perfect sense. I use holdovers versus dialing in my day job so even though this will be for personal not business it's probably good to be consistent.

Reactions: VegasHKShooter
Correct. It's C598 (mil) or C600 (MOA)

Nice rifle! Is that the Geissele Super Precision in standard or extended length? I'm trying to decide between the standard (05-417B) and extended (05-405B) models and I'm not sure which is a good length for an ATACR on my AR-15.

thanks. Its the standard mount, the eye relief on the atacr is shorter than what im used to so i think extended would be too much since i dont like nose to charging handle shooting. thats the only real complaint i have about these new nightforces really.

Under 400 yds, I will take a good second focal plane scope all day long. Once you get past 400-500 yds the first focal plane scopes come into their own as do larger caliber rifles.

Under 400 yds, I will take a good second focal plane scope all day long. Once you get past 400-500 yds the first focal plane scopes come into their own as do larger caliber rifles.

That's a good point - and subtension thickness becomes a concern at longer distances as well. FWIW, the FC-MOA's center dot is 1.25 minutes wide. That's a bit on the big side.

Just leveled, mounted and bore sighted (2) NXS 1-8 on a MCX 300 and my Mega AR 15. Initial dry firing and checking at booth 1X/8X eye box was not an issue for me (low ready to shouldered rifle) with either scope or rifle. I did run the NXS 1-4 for several years in 3 Gun which may have helped with smaller eye box.Now my splits at CQB are not the fastest but not too bad for old Marine and did not seem any slower dry fire than red dot or Vortex 1-6 (not Razor). I suspect if any issues occur some range time will cure in mounting the gun technique issues (none seen in limited dry fire)

Initial feedback on reticle is very good but I will supply more feedback after I zero at CLinton House in SC Friday. Both guns shot sub-MOA with my loads from bench + bipod but that will not be my goal with them combined with NXS1-8 that said do not foresee any issues banging 1.5 to 3 MOA steel

Reactions: Kremvh
I just received my NX8 and ATACR 1-8's.
I got the C599 NX8, which is only available through their MIL/LE Office to qualified purchasers. I asked them when it would be availble to the general public and they were unsure if it would as it would solely depend on demand. They saw the need to have it available for MIL/LE, hence why they have an exclusive part number for the capped MIL/MIL version.

Looking forward to giving these a shakedown as they are impressive out of the box. I am absolutely amazed at how bright the illuminated reticle is.

There’s a review on both OpticsPlanet and EuroOptic complaining about the size of the center dot.

Any rebuttal from people who’ve used the NX8 in real life?

It is hard to imagine giving any Nightforce product a rating below 5 stars. This is my 4th Nightforce scope and the first time Nightforce has disappointed me. See Below: Pros: Weight - With many 1-4X optics weighing in at 16oz, the NX8's 17oz is impressive. Illumination - True daylight visibility allows running this optic like a red dot at 1x. Reticle - The "halo" around the center dot looks like a red dot at 1x and expands to a nice halo at higher magnification. Durability - I didn't test this, but its a Nightforce. I'm assuming it is durable. Cons: The reticle has a 1.25 MOA center dot. It is barely visible at 1x and unnecessary as the "halo" forms a dot, but at 8X the 1.25 MOA dot is HUGE. An 8x optic should easily be able to engage targets past 400 yards (should be good to 800), but at 400 yards the center dot covers over 5.25" of target, and at 800 it would cover 10.5". The center dot should have been .5 MOA to give this scope maximum functionality. I hunt hogs in Texas from 20 feet away with an AR and red dot to over half a mile with a DT SRS-A1. I can't imagine precision shooting past 250 yards with the NX8 due to the 1.25 MOA dot. This makes the magnification above 4x more of a gimmick than a usable function. Conclusion: I am sorely disappointed with this scope. It has the potential to be one of the most versatile scopes on the market for short to medium range, but the reticle drastically limits its capabilities. If Nighforce would release the NX8 with the same reticle but change the center dot to .5 MOA I would put these on most of my rifles, but with the current reticle, it is no more useful than a Vortex PST 1-4 and at 4 times the cost, not at all worth it.

Last edited:
I don’t have my NX8 yet, but I felt compelled to reply after reading the review about ten times and trying to wrap my head around it. If I’m using a red dot then I’m at 1x in a CQB situation and unlikely looking at anything out past 100 yards (if that). Anything further then I’m on the scope with magnification and the red dot at zero (illumination). The reason I kept reading this over and over is it sounded like the reviewer was magnifying the red dot 8x. Unless I'm completely missing something (not to be ruled out) that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

So the actual center dot is .35mil/1.2moa. The segmented circle is 2mil across(6.875moa). On 1x, the circle changes in relation to the target to form the dot....ala FFP......so the dot is 2mils on 1x and you see the 2mil segmented circle with .35mil dot in center at 8x. Very well designed. Too big for long range precision.....maybe a smidge. 1moa would have been more appropriate, but I think the reflective surface area is why its sooooo freaking bright! Perfect for CQB and ultimate speed inside 200 yards.

The .35mil dot could be too big depending on the target size you are shooting at a specific distance. Its all relative I suppose.

I zeroed today and pushed out to 600 yards on 6" plates and the dot was covering it when I dialed, but holding over with either the FC-MIL or FC-DM was beautiful. Still easy to hit 6" plates at that distance.

I actually pushed out to 1k on 12" plates and was nailing them. The .35mil dot covered it edge to edge perfectly and allowed for excellent windage holdoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: VegasHKShooter
So the actual center dot is .35mil/1.2moa. The segmented circle is 2mil across(6.875moa). On 1x, the circle changes in relation to the target to form the dot....ala FFP......so the dot is 2mils on 1x and you see the 2mil segmented circle with .35mil dot in center at 8x. Very well designed. Too big for long range precision.....maybe a smidge. 1moa would have been more appropriate, but I think the reflective surface area is why its sooooo freaking bright! Perfect for CQB and ultimate speed inside 200 yards.

The .35mil dot could be too big depending on the target size you are shooting at a specific distance. Its all relative I suppose.

I zeroed today and pushed out to 600 yards on 6" plates and the dot was covering it when I dialed, but holding over with either the FC-MIL or FC-DM was beautiful. Still easy to hit 6" plates at that distance.

I actually pushed out to 1k on 12" plates and was nailing them. The .35mil dot covered it edge to edge perfectly and allowed for excellent windage holdoff.

Awesome feedback. Thanks!

Not sure whether you mentioned it earlier, but on what rifle do you have the NX8 mounted?

I wondered about the size of the dot before I used either one, too. It's not an issue as the larger segmented circle gets out of the way, once magnified.

Also, if you are only holding your corrections, rather than dialing, the intelligent reticle is a great size for shooting at distance.