• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing K. P.'s 338 Lapua Magnum Build

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Kris:

It's begun.

Stiller Tac 338 chambered in 338 La poo poo.
    Manner's stock
    Our fiddlins

Just finished writing code for this bugger. Now onto setup.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Fixturing:

Guess what were doing today?? LOTS O STOCKS. I'm determined to make Garrett mumble the words "nooohhhh more bedding. . ." as his fat head hits the pillow at night.
    smile.gif

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Re: K. P.'s 338 Lapua Magnum Build

Chad, do you ever sleep? Just about every picture that you post with a workbench in it has a cup of coffee in it!
    smile.gif

Now were making noise and chips!

Edge break so we don't tear Tom's stock to bits.

DSC_0016.jpg

Chewing out a new recoil lug abutment:

DSC_0017.jpg

Rough surface of the receiver inlet:

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Onto the barrel channel now:

DSC_0021.jpg

This is what we like to see:

Clean, crisp edges, minimal voids in the filler, and no apparent tool marks.

Good tooling, good setups, and experience with the software make this way too easy.

(take notice that you rarely see the catastrophic screw ups like yesterday where I almost bored a 4" hole through a stock cause I was an idjit and didn't double check my tool offset length)

When your working with CNC, the Emergency Stop button becomes a really useful tool!
    smile.gif

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

Now onto finishing up the receiver inlet. . .

What part of birthday don't you get?

Damned workaholics.

Looking awesome, so motivated now I think I will have to pull a few more projects out of the safe and send your way.

Kris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What part of birthday don't you get?

Damned workaholics. </div></div>

Overhead and Wolves don't give two chits about B days. . .

Gotta keep the man happy too.

Well, I hope you are wearing a festive shirt at least. When my husband was still on the job he worked a 12 hour shift and then went to cover an off duty gig on his birthday.

Some peoples kids.

Hah, I'm wondering if one of those stocks in the picture is a T2A headed for a Model 70 .22-250 build...

Just pokin at ya Chad. Looking good!

Chad

Your posts and pics really bring the customer in and create inquisitive reading. A quick question about the stock work you perform.

Do you prefer a complete virgin stock or one that have been pre-cut so you can fill it with you magical concoction just to re-cut it?

Seem a little bit of extra time that may not be necessary. Just curious.

KT

He has said in the past that he prefers clean stocks with no inlet. Great pictorals as always Chad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad

Your posts and pics really bring the customer in and create inquisitive reading. A quick question about the stock work you perform.

Do you prefer a complete virgin stock or one that have been pre-cut so you can fill it with you magical concoction just to re-cut it?

Seem a little bit of extra time that may not be necessary. Just curious.

KT </div></div>

Here's the deal and allow me to preface it with this:
    <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">
    I'm not attacking or poking at you. I get asked this question often. I'm using this as an opportunity to address it publicly.</span></span>

We like to start with virgin stocks. One free of any inletting.

The reason for this is I surface model every barreled action in the computer prior to inletting/bedding. I do this for a few reasons.

1. I like to have a uniform, consistent film layer of bedding compound at every contact point with the stock/metalwork. Resin shrinks a bit as it cures. It's not very much, and probably not even enough to get worked up over, however it does happen.

2. A piss thin layer of resin just doesn't (in my mind) make a great deal of sense. Paint a thin layer of your favorite stuff onto a sheet of wax paper. Allow it to cure. Peel the paper off and play with it. You'll soon discover it doesn't take much to crack it, break it, etc. We set our stuff up so that there's a .05" thick layer at every point. the inlet is concentric to the receiver. It's not fat on the bottom and razor thin on top.

The other reason for this is presentation. When we do the finish work on the stock the inlets are clean and crisp. You see a uniform film thickness. The machine work makes for a nice visual. Few things irritate me more than seeing bedding jobs with gobs of crap stuck in corners or dremel tools that have reenacted a Texas Chainsaw Massacre scene inside the magwell/trigger well.

Often a customer has already bought a stock, picked one up somewhere for cheap, or had the rifle built by someone else. In these cases we use the "divine intervention" that expoy gives us and we start over. Fill the sucker back up with "house blend" filler and its like it never happened.

From a performance perspective I'll concede that it is probably not required. However I don't just care about performance. Someone spending the thousands of dollars that it takes to build these things right deserves the best effort. We try to deliver that.

Some only care if the rifle shoots. Ultimately that is what matters I guess as its really what your paying for. If that were the only case though, folks wouldn't spend the crazy money to have rifles built exotic wood stocks, engraving, etc.

To many, the visual appeal means as much as the performance. Garrett and I identify with that and we try hard to deliver on that notion.

In closing: I've always thought the whole point of a "custom" rifle (I loath that word btw) was to deliver something unique, built to suite the clients needs/wants, and still maintain exceptional performance.

Taking the extra effort to deliver something that can be immediately identified is part of our whole scheme to take your money from you.

I, and many other smiths, can spin a song on the phone to make it sound like Thor himself has touched our shoulders and blessed our shops with special powers. It's part of good salesmanship. Any gunmaker worth his salt will/can/does the same thing.

Talk is cheap. All we are trying to do here is make good on it.

I run this shop with a level of transparency few are willing to duplicate. To my knowledge we are the first. Believe me, it'd be far, far simpler on our lives if I didn't have a camera around my neck and a laptop in tow all day.

These threads are a customer service effort and a marketing tool.

Great question!

C.

Ours:

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0010-3.jpg

DSC_0009-3.jpg

DSC_0008-4.jpg

Someone else:

a021.jpg

C.

Wow, that bottom bedding job makes mine look good. But the top bedding jobs make mine look like shit.

Bravo! Well stated.........I've had 4 "custom" rifles done for me in the past and there is nothing (at least for me) more disappointing to wait for months on barrels, stocks and actions, only to send them off and wait for more months or even a year only to receive my pet project and have it look like crap. Makes me start to wonder if short cuts were taken on the less visible parts of the work. Now granted, I've never been disappointed on the accuracy part, which for some, is the reason for going this route. I guess I expect a little more attention to the small details. So Chad, take some time out of your busy schedule ad check your emails............I've got another one in the works I would like you to take on for me.

Kevin

A few updates this morning.

Stock work for the most part is all done. So's the barreling and brake fitting.

Just a few little detail things to tend to and were off to the paint shop and C-kote'n.

Not too chabby! Getting closer!

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

c.

That is some super slick bedding, wish I could get some funds up for a C. Dixon build

Wrapping this one up too today. Heading back out to the range here in a moment.

Hopefully it runs the numbers too.

Kris, we'll be calling you shortly!

C.

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

She's a shooter Kris.

Held about a 1/3rd minute with a box of BH stuff I had laying around.

Barrel doesn't seem to foul hardly any at all.

I think were good to go. Ran real nice.

C.

Chad,

Do you ever have builds that you put together and go out to to the range to test and they won't shoot worth crap? I've always wondered about that. I'm sure most shoot great but in my mind there has to be some that just require a bit more tweaking and love than others. Maybe not though.

Anyways, on top of that I'd just like to thank you for the amount of effort you put into explaining things and answering questions. Above a guy asked a simple question you could have answered with a short response. You went all out for him. Just the little things that bring out personalities and show who people are. The internet masks alot of that, but you are able to go out of your way to make sure it doesn't mask yours. Thanks for all the effort you go through to help people out. They may not be customers yet, but i'm sure down the road, many will.

- Brandon

Chad, do you mind me asking where you get your torx socket head screws from? Ive had a hell of a time finding 1/4-28's anywhere for action screws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking work as usual Chad. Question is who makes that thumbhole stock? </div></div>

looks like a Manners GAT

That was my first guess but it looks to have had some liberties taken with it. The butt hook, pistol grip area and the taller comb don't look like anything on the Manners page. Could be the camera angle. I like the looks of this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buds444</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad,

Do you ever have builds that you put together and go out to to the range to test and they won't shoot worth crap? I've always wondered about that. I'm sure most shoot great but in my mind there has to be some that just require a bit more tweaking and love than others. Maybe not though.

Anyways, on top of that I'd just like to thank you for the amount of effort you put into explaining things and answering questions. Above a guy asked a simple question you could have answered with a short response. You went all out for him. Just the little things that bring out personalities and show who people are. The internet masks alot of that, but you are able to go out of your way to make sure it doesn't mask yours. Thanks for all the effort you go through to help people out. They may not be customers yet, but i'm sure down the road, many will.

- Brandon </div></div>

Brandon,

It'd be great to say, "never, they all shoot."

It'd be a poor attempt at fiction I'm afraid.

Case in point. We tested 6 guns last week. 4 were top shelf right out the gate. Two were more stubborn. One was totally my fault, the other just took some time.

The 308 we finished with the woodland camo was a turd out the door. 1/2-5/8 MOA was all it was good for. I blamed it on the scope initially as it was a beater on the shelf with some very tall rings. Not appropriate at all for this rifle.

The groups weren't stellar to say the least. I get it back to the shop and have Garrett tear it apart. That rewarded me with half a day's worth of ribbing because I'd forgotten to torque down the guard screws. We snugged em up, put some better glass on it, and were rewarded with groups hovering in the 1/4-1/3rd range.

So, a gun with loose guard screws will still shoot 1/2 minute? While the experience isn't one I was really looking for, it was educational none the less.

The second gun was this one. It took two boxes of Black Hills 338 La poo poo to wake it up. Just when I was getting worried, it started getting small. Then it got real small.

So, $240 worth of bullets to get the thing broke in and woke up. Worth it? I say yes because when the owner takes it, I know it works. I should never see it again till its time to hang a new stick on it.

Appreciate the encouragement. Always nice to hear.

C.