• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles 624i 6-24x56 vs. Premier Heritage 5-25x56

ronas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Charleston, South Carolina
I took both scopes to range to compare a few things that are important to me. Only looked at targets at 600 and 800 yards. This is not a review, but I am curious to know if others have observed what I have with respect to the Kahles. I was very disappointed with what I see as a flaw in a scope that, for me, means I will not use it.

It was 11:00 am, 55 degrees, clear sky, and sunny. Mirage was present.

Kahles
1-eyebox was excellent. Easy to get behind and scope not even mounted on rifle.
2-At 600 and 800 yard targets noticed a great deal of chromatic aberration, that is purple fringing. I was at the top of the targets. Also observed purple fringing at the top of a skip berm made of wood at 200 yards.
3-The parallax adj. could not get targets anywhere near as clear as the Preimer.

The Kahles is on it's way back to vendor right now.

Premier
1-eyebox not as good as Kahles.
2- Kahles was clearer all the way to the edge when looking thru rear lens.
3-No chromatic aberration at any range.
4-parallax much more effective at bringing target into focus.

Are you keeping the premier then?

Yes I'm keeping the Premier. I have two already and with the price of new one's now in the stratosphere I"m looking to another brand. I"m trying to get ahold of US Optics ER25 to check out as well.

I could probably get an S&B for less than what the asking price of a new Premier.

That Premier Heritage indeed has fine glass with ultra low CA. Sold my trusty NXS which I never thought I'd do after spending a week with the Premier. For those whom can't afford a 3k+ optic, do not look thru a Heritage. You'll get hooked.

I have a second Premier Light Tactical on the way. Although I'm just a casual weekend shooter, I can easily see how some guys end up with 5, 6, 7...of them.

I haven't tried my Kahles 624i yet. I just ordered it and am waiting reception.

To bad you didn't like the scope, I hope I do, because honestly I have not tried before I bought it. But it came highly recommended...
I haven't tried the Premier Heritage either.
But it was one of the scopes I considered for the purchase, algonside S&B

I haven't tried my Kahles 624i yet. I just ordered it and am waiting reception.

To bad you didn't like the scope, I hope I do, because honestly I have not tried before I bought it. But it came highly recommended...
I haven't tried the Premier Heritage either.
But it was one of the scopes I considered for the purchase, algonside S&B

Maybe mine was defective or maybe the conditions I was comparing the two scopes was not good for the Kahles. Hopefully someone with more knowlege than me can offer an explanation. I did buy it from Midway because they have a return policy I could live with. That is if I mount the scope in or on rings then they will not accept a return. And that if I damage it then it's mine too. Very reasonable terms. Of course I had to pay return shipping with insurance which cost me about $36. but well worth it.

Hmm
I just had a LT in and was not that impressed. Specifically with regards to focus. I was constantly messing with the parallax adjustment trying to get a clear image. I thought the Khales 3-12 was a superior scope.

You are not the only one. There are others, including myself that have come to the same conclusion. I figured it was my eyes.
I owned a Premier for several years..sold it and bought the Kahles. I wanted an easy and forgiving eye box and a thicker reticle. I got both of those with the Kahles. What I didn't get was the ability to resolve individual impacts on white steel targets from 400 yards on out. I didn't notice nor did I look for CA. I am of the opinion that when you get above $1800 anymore, you are buying glass...and it better be very good to command the large price tags..
There are far too many optics available that provide positive adjustments, decent eye boxes with quality glass at the 1200-2500 range to pay the price of the Kahles and not have a crisp target image.

I understand there are some changes being made to the Kahles, if this is true than I am willing to try another one. I like the new reticle design, and I really liked the eye box.

Update: My Kahles was an early model...I bought it early last fall (2012)

I took both scopes to range to compare a few things that are important to me. Only looked at targets at 600 and 800 yards. This is not a review, but I am curious to know if others have observed what I have with respect to the Kahles. I was very disappointed with what I see as a flaw in a scope that, for me, means I will not use it.

It was 11:00 am, 55 degrees, clear sky, and sunny. Mirage was present.

Kahles
1-eyebox was excellent. Easy to get behind and scope not even mounted on rifle.
2-At 600 and 800 yard targets noticed a great deal of chromatic aberration, that is purple fringing. I was at the top of the targets. Also observed purple fringing at the top of a skip berm made of wood at 200 yards.
3-The parallax adj. could not get targets anywhere near as clear as the Preimer.

The Kahles is on it's way back to vendor right now.

Premier
1-eyebox not as good as Kahles.
2- Kahles was clearer all the way to the edge when looking thru rear lens.
3-No chromatic aberration at any range.
4-parallax much more effective at bringing target into focus.

Last edited:
Was this a Kahles scope with the improved glass coatings? I saw an example a SHOT show and was impressed with it. I have a US Optics ER-25 and hope to get it side by side with a PH soon. Maybe at the next Vegas match.

Was this a Kahles scope with the improved glass coatings? I saw an example a SHOT show and was impressed with it. I have a US Optics ER-25 and hope to get it side by side with a PH soon. Maybe at the next Vegas match.

My range is open anytime to do such a comparison. Max distance is 800 yards.

Improved glass coatings, I don't know. I got it new on Wensday morning last week and returned it Wensday afternoon.

Contact Khaybes Kahles here on the hide, he would be able to tell you if you checked out the newest version or not.

I bought one of the first Kahles 6-24 and after spending a week or so with it and my PMII I sold it before I ever mounted it. I cought a bit of flack for "never shooting" it but hell it didnt pass my first test so why would I bother. Now that being said I think they are a very nice scope and the optics were pretty darn good but not as good as any of the PMIIs I have used. I think if the scope was in the mid to low 2K range it would be worth the money but it is not a good value at its price point.

From what I hear it is just a matter of personal preferences.... Some people say Kahles, some people say S&B. I say try them both.

I have the Kahles, not the S&B or Premier (but have looked through both.)

I like the eye box and the parallax system on the Kahles enough to offset the minor CA at the top end. If you shoot lefty, the parallax is a great setup.

I have not had any issue with my Kahles getting very well defined and focused targets at long range.

Ronas, MTETM, JBell and others, in the last two weeks, I have received two Kahles K624i scopes. They both could not focus or produce clear and sharp images. 223 bullet holes were very blurry at 100 yard with the first Kahles my dealer sent me. I thought it must have been a dud. Kahles couldn't possibly sell this crap for 3 grands. So I sent it back thinking it was a dud and hopping for a real Kahles. I got my second Khales. It was slightly better than the first but the images were still not clear and sharp. My Sightron SIII 8-32x56 could produce a much sharper images at all magnifications. I am so disappointed. I can't believe Kahles is putting out this crap. It's shocking.

Hello and good morning motobie,

I am sorry to hear that you are having this experience with your Kahles. If you would like to, please send me your info in a PM and I am happy to have the scope picked up at no cost to you and we will go through it and determine what the issue is. Just had both a Gen1 and a GenII out at the K&M GAP Grind with many of the top long gunners in the nation looking through the optics side by side next to several S/B's and even a Henny or two. I have not seen this lack of clarity in our optics and have not heard much back regarding this from other shooters with the exception of a few isolated cases in the beginning as is the case with most new product launches.

To date we have had less than a fraction of a percentage in returns on this model. Worldwide it is doing great to the point we have had to bring on more techs to simply help keep up with the demand for this model not to mention that new Desert Tactical rifles sold as packages are being fielded with Kahles optics. DTA's ELR guns like the 375 CT or the 50 rifles are all being sold and shot at ranges much further than 100 yards where having clear image quality and resolution either make a shot or break the shot. I am terribly sorry to hear that you are having issues with the optic but, please give us a chance to have a look at it and see what the culprit is and give you your 3K worth of product and service you paid for.

Regards, and hope to see a PM from you soon,
Ken

I have this scope and can honestly say it is crystal clear, no discolor or blurriness. I did get the newer version. I had some guys looking through it at a match recently, they shoot sb, both were very impressed with the optic. I can say, I am 100% satisfied. I am sure, with anything manufactured, things happen but the clarity of my scope is very impressive up close and at distance.
My 2 cents. I became a Kahles fan!

Ronas, MTETM, JBell and others, in the last two weeks, I have received two Kahles K624i scopes. They both could not focus or produce clear and sharp images. 223 bullet holes were very blurry at 100 yard with the first Kahles my dealer sent me. I thought it must have been a dud. Kahles couldn't possibly sell this crap for 3 grands. So I sent it back thinking it was a dud and hopping for a real Kahles. I got my second Khales. It was slightly better than the first but the images were still not clear and sharp. My Sightron SIII 8-32x56 could produce a much sharper images at all magnifications. I am so disappointed. I can't believe Kahles is putting out this crap. It's shocking.

Have you contacted the manufacturer?
That is commonly established proper protocol

Hello and good morning motobie,

I am sorry to hear that you are having this experience with your Kahles. If you would like to, please send me your info in a PM and I am happy to have the scope picked up at no cost to you and we will go through it and determine what the issue is. Just had both a Gen1 and a GenII out at the K&M GAP Grind with many of the top long gunners in the nation looking through the optics side by side next to several S/B's and even a Henny or two. I have not seen this lack of clarity in our optics and have not heard much back regarding this from other shooters with the exception of a few isolated cases in the beginning as is the case with most new product launches.

To date we have had less than a fraction of a percentage in returns on this model. Worldwide it is doing great to the point we have had to bring on more techs to simply help keep up with the demand for this model not to mention that new Desert Tactical rifles sold as packages are being fielded with Kahles optics. DTA's ELR guns like the 375 CT or the 50 rifles are all being sold and shot at ranges much further than 100 yards where having clear image quality and resolution either make a shot or break the shot. I am terribly sorry to hear that you are having issues with the optic but, please give us a chance to have a look at it and see what the culprit is and give you your 3K worth of product and service you paid for.

Regards, and hope to see a PM from you soon,
Ken

^^^^^That is how a company should be run. I don't own one but I might in the near future.

Dustin

Hi Ken. Sorry I didn't see your reply. Thanks for contacting me on the phone. I appreciate your help. I was being hot headed when I posted the comment. I should have chilled. I am sure glad Khaybes and Kahles are going to sort this out for me. Thanks, again.

I have been nothing but impressed with my K624i. I have not seen nor specifically looked for CA. I will do that the next time im out. i certainly have had zero issues with seeing holes at a hundred or impacts on steel at distance. I have spent time behind S&B PMIIs, Premier, NF, etc. I am very happy with my Kahles. (stay tuned for a review)

are premier heritage scopes really going for that much here? i have two in 3-15 one is the 3-15x50mm tactical and one is the light tactical but since tangent theta is only warrantying out the ones that ATI sold so i am very cautious in purchasing another one i am actually trading one for a Vortex razor hd gen II because of it

are premier heritage scopes really going for that much here? i have two in 3-15 one is the 3-15x50mm tactical and one is the light tactical but since tangent theta is only warrantying out the ones that ATI sold so i am very cautious in purchasing another one i am actually trading one for a Vortex razor hd gen II because of it

Four year old thread????

I have a gen 2 3-18x I’d trade you for one of your premiers if the parallax is currently functional.

Just got the Kahles 624i GenIII, sighted in zero at 100. Shot 100, 200, 400, and 600 yards. Just getting used to the top mounted parallex but good glass saw hits on steel clearly at 600 no problem. Love the zero stop adjustment, best of any scope so far.

It own a Vortex razor gen II 4.7x27, a Nightforce Atacr 5x25, Kahles 624i, also the Vortex pst genII 5x25. Trijicon 1x8, and a Z5 Swarovski ...My eyes like the Nightforce the best. (I also sold my S&B 5x25 hated the H59 reticule.)

I’ll be shooting the Kahles a lot it’s on my practice rifle. Will update as I go.

Attachments

• photo75897.jpg
    photo75897.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 31
Since someone else bumped a 4 year old thread, I can comment on the subject as well.

I have a Kahles K624i Gen 3 w. SKMR and a Premier Heritage 5-25x56 w. Gen 2XR
Here is my take:
Parallax-Kahles
Reticle-Kahles (SKMR is my favorite reticle I have ever owned so far)
Eye relief-Premier
Eye Box-Kahles
Tracking-Tie, both track perfectly out to over 1771 yards
Return to zero-Tie, both return to exactly where I have them set
Knobs-Premier
Clarity-Premier
Color-Premier
Illumination-Kahles
Mag range-Premier
Zero stop-Tie, both rock solid, but my Premier I can set .5 MILs below if I want, Kahles is only .3 MILs below
Zero set-Premier
Warranty-Kahles (but I hope to never need to use either one)
Weight-Kahles (by a whole whopping 4oz)

Since someone else bumped a 4 year old thread, I can comment on the subject as well.

I have a Kahles K624i Gen 3 w. SKMR and a Premier Heritage 5-25x56 w. Gen 2XR
Here is my take:
Parallax-Kahles
Reticle-Kahles (SKMR is my favorite reticle I have ever owned so far)
Eye relief-Premier
Eye Box-Kahles
Tracking-Tie, both track perfectly out to over 1771 yards
Return to zero-Tie, both return to exactly where I have them set
Knobs-Premier
Clarity-Premier
Color-Premier
Illumination-Kahles
Mag range-Premier
Zero stop-Tie, both rock solid, but my Premier I can set .5 MILs below if I want, Kahles is only .3 MILs below
Zero set-Premier
Warranty-Kahles (but I hope to never need to use either one)
Weight-Kahles (by a whole whopping 4oz)

Nice info. Thank you~!

I’ve got two PH 5-25x56s i’m letting go for a deal… should anyone want excellent condition Premiers for a reasonable price.

Nope, I sold them both. I did recently sell a rifle and have a Zeiss LRP S5 5-25x56 I'm willing to let go. (Glass is just as good, if not slightly better. Mil reticle... It's a pretty good scope.)

I have two Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50, a Premier Heritage 3-15x50 and a Premier Heritage 5-25x56. Great scopes. You can pick up a used Light Tactical usually for less that $1300. I favor the Gen 2 reticle over the Gen 2 XR for the 3-15 magnifications. The 5-25 magnification for me is much more useful with the Gen 2 XR reticle.

The Light Tactical only have 12 mils of elevation which can be a limiting factor depending on your use. All Premier Reticle scopes are great for the price on the used market even without the warranty from the Theta Tangent folks. The Premier Heritage scope retain their value.

Reactions: Shootermcgavin77
I have two Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50, a Premier Heritage 3-15x50 and a Premier Heritage 5-25x56. Great scopes. You can pick up a used Light Tactical usually for less that $1300. I favor the Gen 2 reticle over the Gen 2 XR for the 3-15 magnifications. The 5-25 magnification for me is much more useful with the Gen 2 XR reticle.

The Light Tactical only have 12 mils of elevation which can be a limiting factor depending on your use. All Premier Reticle scopes are great for the price on the used market even without the warranty from the Theta Tangent folks. The Premier Heritage scope retain their value.
Where is the best place to look for these used?