• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing karsten cheek piece slippage

thefiremeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Nevada
I had this posted on the rifle forum for a while but this looked like it might be a better place for my question

I just put a laminate wood stock on a Savage 10FP in 308. the stock is to low so I put a Karsten cheek piece on it to get my eye up to the scope and get a decent cheek weld.

Only problem is, the cheek piece moves after a few shots. I've got the knobs cranked down pretty tight but it keeps slipping down under recoil. I tried to slip some foam under it but apparently the foam I have isn't stiff enough to keep it one spot.

Any body else using one have this problem? Any ideas on how to keep the cheek piece from moving?

Re: karsten cheek piece slippage

I have been running one for a couple of years and have never had it move. I cant imagine it moving if you have the knobs tight enough.

Try scuffing up the inside of the cheekpiece where it contacts the stock. That or maybe some sexwax.

I thought of grip tape and I'm sure that would work, really well.

As I was mulling over the problem today I was trying to figure out what would work that would keep it adjustable and not slip and not scuff up the wood or at least what would do the least amount of damage to wood. At least start with the least damaging thing first and work from there.

and then I see SEXWAX??? what the hell is sex wax?? I have to admit I had to look it up. Thats why I love this site. I learn something new every day.

great idea. I'm going to try the sexwax and if that doesn't work I'm going to find or make some little rubber washers to put between the stock and the cheek piece. if that doesn't work I'll be a grip tape kind of guy.

Thanks for the ideas.

By no means am I an expert, but after reading this, I would try to stabilize it by scuffing up the inside of the cheek piece. Then apply a small (very small, read tiny) horizontal line of silicone or a latex caulk and let it dry. Then reinstall. No damage to stock, would remain weather proof and should have enough "stick" to prevent slippage.
Or maybe a slice of rubber gasket material on both sides.
Just a thought

for you rubber washer idea, you could use the gaskets for a garden hose if you happen to have some laying around, just a thought so you don't go spend money befor you know if it works or not.

Like Dallas12 said but put the grip tape on the wood (facing out), not the cheekpiece so the inside of the Karsten can grip it. Just around the tension bolts.

put the grip tape on the stock. let it scratch the karsten. you may have been better served getting the model B karsten. i think thats the one with sort of a locking system to keep it from slipping. the slot isnt smooth, it looks like a series of hole punches in the kydex. before you go marking that one up with grip tape, call karsten, explain the issue and see if you cab get the other model

BModel.jpg

I liked the sexwax idea and I had thought about screws but didn't want to resort to that just yet.

I had thought the rubber on the inside would be the easiest thing to try first but finding a thin piece of rubber or gasket material around here is impossible. believe me I tried.

The proverbial light bulb went off at work yesterday when I thought of using a bicycle inter-tube. I just got one cut up and made some little 1 inch rubber washers.

Small, Light weight, soft and grippy and best of all friggin cheap.

It should work but I probable won't get to shoot until Monday. I'll let you know if it works, well not if it works but how well it works.

I put a strip of adhesive backed hook and loop on the Karsten and a strip on my stock. Cut out a 6" x 6" piece of milk jug (or any other thin flexible material) to slide between the two strips until you get the proper height set and then pull out the piece of milk jug. Solid and no slipping.

Another good idea.

I'm liking the simple stuff. I always have a tendency to make things complicated.

I took the rifle out Monday and the inter tube tricked worked great. No slippage at all. I did have to lower the cheek piece to clean the rifle and then reset it. No problems so far.

Long term I may have to replace the inter tube washers once in a while because one looks like it may be bunching up a little but they don't cost much so I think this might work out.