• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KC, MO adopt a noob request

Chato308

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2012
I'm a long time experienced shooter but a noob when it comes to extended ranges. Just bought my first chrono to help me with a more accurate ballistic calculator. I was wondering if anyone local would be willing to let me pick their brains while throwing me hints and tricks. My closest ranges are Mill Creek (I know no members so I can't join/expensive first time fees) Vapor Trail Valley (limited slots for membership and 2 hour drive) and Rolling Hills (2 hour 45 min drive)

I am a member of mill creek. I shoot their monthly high power matchs. Mill creek only has 300yd max range as the 500yd range is only for matches or approved usage.

Well that's good to know. Right now I'm leaning towards Vapor Trail Valley if they have open slots

You also have pioneer gun club with outdoor in Bates City , only to 200 when they lost their 500 yd rang due to lawsuit and a 24 hr indoor pistol range in knobtown

lafayette gun club in lexington, 200yd max irc

bucksnort in Marshall, 600 yds but capped at 150 members with a waiting list and nra clasification requirement

plus Mo Dept. Of Conservation Ranges manned and unmanned....

Right now I've just been using Lake City it's only 100 yards though. I'm wanting somewhere that has 1,000 which I believe is only Vapor Trail Valley and Rolling Hills

Happy to guest you in to Mill Creek sometime (when the weather warms up). There are organized practice opportunities at 500y there, as Bonjourjr mentioned. You might also keep an eye out for their long range shooting class which offers the ability to shoot at 200, 300 and 500 with light instruction.

Maybe sign up for a long range match? MCRC hold several -- I'll be competing there this year for the first time. You don't have to be a member to shoot the competitions.

You are correct about the first year fees at MCRC, but overall memberships is affordable when you roll it out over a few year horizon, especially if you're paying range fees anywhere else to shoot indoors etc. And you're helping fund the club / improvements.

Finally - happy to answer questions if I can, but I'm far from an expert. I've taken a few long range classes and have done a bunch of reading, but most all my shooting experience is tactical / practical vs. long.

Right now I've just been using Lake City it's only 100 yards though. I'm wanting somewhere that has 1,000 which I believe is only Vapor Trail Valley and Rolling Hills
Unless you are on private land 1000 yds in KC isnt going to happen with the exception of snipergeddon once year at MCRC. If your looking at driving 2.5+ hours, spearpoint has daily fees....

The correct answer is to start shooting matches and get to know people, MCRC has a montly 500 yd fclass match, great for proving load development and if your willing to drive, there isa PRS style event somehere every weekend