• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Keeping muzzlebrake clean.

ego235

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
North Carolina
I just started using my first muzzlebrake on my .223 Remmy 700. It is a JP Enterprises Ben Cooley standard size model. It has really taken recoil out of the picture, not like there was much to begin with in my 17 pound AICS rig. What i've noticed even after the first outing is how much carbon crud gets stuck to all surfaces on the interior of the brake. It is almost impossible to get fully cleaned. My question is whether there is any necessity to clean it thoroughly. Will the carbon build up in anyway to harm accuracy?

By the way I swear the addition of the brake and the monopod is causing me to develop bad habits in my shooting. The platform is so stable that I just turn the bipod / monopod to place the crosshairs directly on the target and pull the trigger with almost no shoulder pressure on the stock since its essentially no movement whatsoever. It makes shooting quite comfortable. However I really need to get in the habit of no monopod sometimes, its like cheating.

Re: Keeping muzzlebrake clean.

not cleaning it wont hurt, but if u want, spray it with a carbon cleaner like Mpro7/hoppes elite let it soak some then scrub with a tooth brush.. it will come off, that stuff will take a revolver cylinder back to bare SS

Re: Keeping muzzlebrake clean.

Cool I have a bottle of hoppes elite somewhere. I'll put some on today and leave it for a while. See if that does the trick.