• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestral 4500NV with Horus ATRAG & Blue Tooth - Int

Re: Kestral 4500NV with Horus ATRAG & Blue Tooth - Int

Yep, your assessment us correct.

What boggles the mind is that they don't care about bad press. Horus specifically, especially in a world where negative press gets around.

If you guys want to figure headwind and X-wind components find yourself a Allegheny Plastics flight computer, AKA-whiz wheel or APN-91. Its a plastic wheel that can be used for:

Density altitute
True Altitude
True air temp
X-wind and headwind component
Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division
Nautical-Statute miles conversions
Farenheit/Centigrade
Time to distance problems

And the list goes on. They're extremely durable and I have one that must be 20 years old at least. No batteries, about the diameter of a softball, and slides nicely in a pocket (its flat). Once you learn to use one you'll ditch your electronics in a hurry. Pilots and engineers use them for quick flight problem solving.

They may even still be in the supply system and I have a NSN if anyone needs it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Max Owner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a shame about the hassles involved here.

I <span style="text-decoration: underline">was </span> interested in the Horus model but guess I have lost interest. </div></div>

Hmmm as was I. I dont have a fancy phone for ballistic programs, so this was high on my list of things I needed.

Dang.

Let us know if anything new surfaces.

Regards,
DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kestrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We always have them in stock - please use the coupon code:

SnipersHide5%!

For 5% off your order of $200 or more.

Free USA Shipping, $25 international.

http://www.kestrelmeters.com/collections/frontpage/products/kestrel-4500-horus-atrag-ballistics-1 </div></div>

Two things:

1) IF you are a vendor (say from NK aka Kestrel), then you need to speak to the site owner about identifying your account as such. Failing to do so it a BIG no-no.

2) IF you are, then you should be addressing the issues posted above, and posting the sales aspect of your units in the FOR SALE sections of the board.

Of course, unlike your site, all posts are generally welcome here, and the moderators here don't deleted or prevent posts they don't like.

GB, I can understand you being pissed off. I would be too.

A few things come to mind.. send it back and contact your credit card company. Second thing would be to take it up the ranks in both companies. Eventually somebody is going to care or get tired of dealing with you.

It really is a shame that it does not perform all the functions as advertised though.

Horus CS may be bad for the general public but for guys in the SOF community or Military, they have have generally been helpful. I guess it may depend who you are. At least the 3-5 times I've called they've been nothing but helpful, and I had a buddy get his out of warranty scope replaced with an HDMR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Horus CS may be bad for the general public but for guys in the SOF community or Military, they have have generally been helpful. I guess it may depend who you are. At least the 3-5 times I've called they've been nothing but helpful, and I had a buddy get his out of warranty scope replaced with an HDMR. </div></div>

I've been thinking about your post for a little while.

I guess the first thing that comes to mind is that no one should have to disclose either a DoD or LE affiliation in order to recieve decent customer service.

Having to do so is a HUGE OPSEC issue, period. It's also so massively inappropriate that it could actually LEAD to someone with a badge and gun showing up on your door step.

Of course, after I pondered it for a moment, several other issues came to mind:

1) What incentive does Horus have to make a working product? If you compare the price of the Kestrel to the PDAs, it may be more cost effective to make sure the Kestrel project fails spectacularlly. It's also possible that they already have the governments money and don't really care, or there are NDA related issues. If the later, then perhaphs they are simply trying to dump all of the units currently made so that they can get their money out before dropping the product entirely.

2) If I had to guess, I'd suspect that they'd create a Kestrel with a version of the Gun Library that actually syncs via Blue Tooth with a LRF. Now, there are absolutely communications security issues with that, but notice how there is a low power BT setting on the top-of-the-line model. So, if you can get Vectronix to support BT, and talk to a Kestrel at low power, and your targets have shit for detection capibilites... (probably not a lot of 'pringles' cans in Afganistan)you're in business.

3) So this leads me to think that either Horus is incompetent OR they are spending the programmer's time fixing issues for the military, and then planning on releasing a neutered version to the public once they have a working version they can cut parts of code out of. (The same public they don't appear to care about...)

4) It's also possible that they just don't give a crap about the civilian market, and have litte interest in expanding it.

What they are missing are the government sales that happen when government employees play with stuff on their own dime in their spare time... and how BAD press hurts their expansion of the govie market.

Priority always goes to the Warfighter... but I've seen plenty of times where a project or company is shit-canned and TONs of cash is thrown at replacing them just because they pissed off the wrong person or created the wrong perception.

Just my thoughts.

GB

I've read this thread and it is a little out of my league in technical. I'd really like a Kestrel. I'd really like a ballistic computer. I only have maybe 3 rifles I'd use this with as of now. I don't need Bluetooth as of now, I'd just really would like something the reads the weather conditions and give me a firing solution based on exactly what I have. Can this or can this not meet my needs? Is this the exact model I should be looking at? If not, which one? Am I asking the right questions? This hi-tech stuff is pretty new to me. I don't have experience with it. Input is appreciated.

It'll do what you need if the requiments are less that 6 rifles, and not a ton loads...

I spoke with Brad from Kestral and he was very helpful. I told him about this thread and suggested he come on and clear up some of the issues presented. He confirmed the discount coupon listed.

I went ahead and ordered one. He told me that he has only had 1 returned and they offer a 30 day no question asked full return.

I will let you guys know how I like mine.

Glad I came across this thread. I've been eyeing one of these units...now I'm not so sure.

GB-Maryland,

Many thanks for all your efforts sharing info with the gang here on S.H. I was looking into upgrading to a BT model on my Kestrel, but certainly won't given the grief you've been put through. Send the trash back and get your money back. They should then get the message!

Penta

I was just at the Horus web site this morning, and the Gun Library software is now (finally!) available:

http://www.horusvision.com/hk_loader.php

I have downloaded it, but won't be installing and testing until this evening, so I can't vouch for it working properly at this point...

sab1

OK, I've had a chance to install and test the software, and it seems to work fine. I installed it twice. The first time, I didn't see a warning to change the default installation directory in the online instructions. As a result, I got all kinds of warnings when starting the program. After re-reading the instructions, I installed it again using the instructions, and the warnings disappeared. I was successful reading from the Kestrel into the software, so I think I'm good to go. Now all I have to do is create the files for my rifles and download them to try it. I think this software is going to really be a time-saver!

sab1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sab1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just at the Horus web site this morning, and the Gun Library software is now (finally!) available:

I have downloaded it, but won't be installing and testing until this evening, so I can't vouch for it working properly at this point...

sab1 </div></div>

Have a comp this weekend. After that...might have to give this a run.

So far it still doesn't sound like anything has changed. Just a few vendors saying "we've got em"

Well,

The Gun Library is anything but complete.

On a standard Windows 7 system (x64) it seems to have a few issues.

First, it needs to run as a local administrator. So that's a little dangerous... but I'm paid to be paranoid.

Second, it gives you errors, specifically the first error, as if it expects certain hardware. (Which is not mentioned in the manual...):

HKGunLoader:

"The specified DSN contains an architechture mismatch between the Driver and Application."

1st two times running it it told me that it was creating various .INI files, and then the errors went away, leaving only the error above.

Third, it DOES NOT wipe all of the guns from the Kestrel and replace them. No idea why, but one would have to assume you want to nuke any strays. Odd in general.

Lastly, this is either a compiled Microsoft Access program, or at least is supposed to use an Access Database. However, the Gun Library software doesn't actually seem to be using the database.

Now, I'm using Windows 7 with all of the latest updates, Office 2010 with all of the latest updates, and a decent virus scanner.

Additionally, my standard user account does not have administrator privilages on the computer.

So I'm going to fire up a few other operating systems and see how crappy or good their dev team is. Based on how this software doesn't seem to work, I'm pretty sure I can disassemble this quickly.

Right now, the Gun Library software doesn't work properly in a Windows 7 (64bit) box with latest and greatest soft.

...and there is a driver issue, but that shouldn't cause problems the access database or connections to it.

Update:

After having a cup of coffee, I remembered that DSN is probably a data source... but I'm unsure if its related to the driver or some path to the access database.

I did install the entire package on a Windows XP box.

1) Kestrel DOES have the version 1.7 of their software for download on their website. I'm pretty sure it was 1.6 before, and the time date stamps seem to support an early September release.

The issue with the Kestrel software it that it appears to need to be written to a CD if you want it to auto install (provided your not using a USG compliant system with CD Autorun turned off). So you sorta need to guess at with set of binaries to click to install.

If you are using BlueTooth and XP, then you are getting a software package from the manufacturer to pair the 4500 ATRAG with the BlueTooth (on the PC) transceiver. So it will take you through that part.

Then you run the software for the Kestrel and see if the COM port you have paired the device with works and read data.

XP is noticably slower.

2) Gun Library software in XP still generate the same DSN error, and the Gub Library doesn't allow for ANY lookups of specific ammunition loads.

At this time it doesn't really appear the Gun Library software does anything but let you enter your loads.

- You can not remove all of the guns that are on your 4500 ATRAG and replace them with the ones you've setup. Sort of annoying.

- You CAN actually create your own list of firearms and edit the parameters. (Some things you sorta need to guess at based on their default list.)

- You CAN download the list from the unit an back it up

- You CAN upload the list to the unit and update it (with being able to remove ALL of the firearms pre-programmed into the unit)

- The database lookup that includes all sorts of factory ammo DOES NOT WORK

That latest machine to test this on was a Windows XP SP3 system, no MS Office installed, McAfee as the virus scanner (different than the other), 4GB of RAM (3 visable to the user [32 bit]), and 2 processors.

Different machine, same results.

I'd be curious if anyone else had this working properly.

Also, it listed in the press release that it has a database of firearms, but I'm not seeing that anywhere.

GB

Specific microsot article on DSN issues...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms712362(v=vs.85).aspx

The issue is that Horus never configured a DSN to point to the access database.

Or the insaller requires administrator privies above basic ones...

Yep, just broke down the MSI using ORCA, and the installer never sets up a connection between Horus Vision Gun Library and the included access database.

So unless the product was somehow installed wrong. They did not configure the installer properly.

Gun Loader is not ready for prime time... aka crappy at best.

just read this thread and was interested in the Kestrel Horus but now thinking twice about the BT version. Can someone tell me if the USB Computer Interface - 0804 on the non-BT model is a way around all these problems? I just want to be able to connect to my computer and print (in excel) out a drop chart for backup on a hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dyoung</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just read this thread and was interested in the Kestrel Horus but now thinking twice about the BT version. Can someone tell me if the USB Computer Interface - 0804 on the non-BT model is a way around all these problems? I just want to be able to connect to my computer and print (in excel) out a drop chart for backup on a hunt. </div></div>

Ok,

So I probably should have titled the post "4500NV with ATRAG & USB/BT/Serial Issues."

So no, the method of communications doesn't matter for the Horus Gun Library usage.

The DSN issue is indenpendant of the way your computer communicates with the 4500NV ATRAG.

The Gun Library installs a set of binaries (applications/programs), and then needs to setup a link to a Microsoft Access database that the Gun Library should be able to connect to. The setup of that connection is called a DSN (Data Source Name).

Normally, this would be configured by the installer. Typically, this is done when the software is packaged into something called an MSI (Microsoft Installer) file.

I've tested this in Windows XP (with Service Pack 3)[as a local administrator] and Windows 7 [with temporary admin premissions], and neither work. I've also taken the installer package apart and there are places for setting up DSNs, and in the case of the Horus Vision Gun Library for the 4500NV ATRAG those settings are blank.

So the issue is a broken installer. Not a phycial communications issue.

Thanks GB...I was afraid of that. My friend has the non BT and I got to see it work yesterday and it seemed to work great. So the big question ....is it worth $600 bucks to save a few steps and incorporate those steps in one device that can not connect to a computer. For me since I will be using it for hunting it may well be worth the expense if it will get the shot off earlier and more efficiently...but then again it is a lot of bucks.

Compared to the BORS at least it is usable on any rifle and not tied into one scope.

Do you have a strong opinion on my application? Do you think it will go away due to poor product and customer service?

I appreciate your advice before spending the $

It'll work for your application...

However, you're going to have to chrono your ammo, and if you are really serious, at different temps.

I have 8 rifles I want to use this with any about 25+ batches of ammo. All chrono'ed with massive quality control. (well in excess of 10,000 rounds) I want to be able to have a single device to input all of those combinations into so that I can dial in the scopes.

That's where it becomes a PITA... And no, I don't think the BT option is really worth it.

USB to serial cable is fine, save the cash.

Thanks GB...
I am meticulous as well...or I am trying....won't the Kestrel/Horus correct for temp automatically? You tell it the velocity and temp at sight in and it will correct? Or do I have it wrong?

Let me know when and if the software gets a fix...or you find a fix.

Doug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dyoung</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks GB...
I am meticulous as well...or I am trying....won't the Kestrel/Horus correct for temp automatically? You tell it the velocity and temp at sight in and it will correct? Or do I have it wrong?

Let me know when and if the software gets a fix...or you find a fix.

Doug </div></div>

It should correct for temp, but one of their examples give a list of multiple temps...

Sure thing... if they do fix the software, it'll probably be a great overall product.

Two things I want to see:

- The factory ammo table lookup working
- A factory gun table for common militrary / LE / Precission Shooters as well

GB...if I buy the usb cable can I download to excel without Gun Library? Does gun library not work at all? I thought they just released the fix? Still no customer service?

Did they release a fix in the last few days?

If so, then maybe... if not... then no.

In so far as Excel, it would have to work with a workbooks as there are multiple tables. However, Access can be complied for distribution. That much I remeber...

I'm a systems guy, so I don't generally use Access. I use industrial DBs or flat files.

Oh my understanding is that you need a cradle with a USB to serial dealio to work with the Kestrel. I have the BT model...

I'll look at their website and see a fix has been posted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GBMaryland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did they release a fix in the last few days?

In so far as Excel, it would have to work with a workbooks as there are multiple tables. However, Access can be complied for distribution. That much I remeber...

I'm a systems guy, so I don't generally use Access. I use industrial DBs or flat files.

Oh my understanding is that you need a cradle with a USB to serial dealio to work with the Kestrel. I have the BT model...

I'll look at their website and see a fix has been posted. </div></div>

yes...I just ordered the non BT with usb craddle....
sab1 on this thread said the new release worked for him so I was wondering why it did not work for you???? Did you not download the new version yet?

Doug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dyoung</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GBMaryland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did they release a fix in the last few days?

I'll look at their website and see a fix has been posted. </div></div>

yes...I just ordered the non BT with usb craddle....
sab1 on this thread said the new release worked for him so I was wondering why it did not work for you???? Did you not download the new version yet?

Doug

</div></div>

There are absolutely issues with the installer.

Out of three systems, 2 Win 7, and on Win XP, it worked on my laptop.

It is not reliably installed, I even tried turning off UAC and that didn't matter.

They have indicated that you need to install the software into no standard directory and give everyone read/write permissions to it. Once you are done with that... it might work in some instances. However, I've gotten it to work 1 time out of three (properly).

GB

so why not just run win 7 or XP...most common anyway?

should I get usb cable or BT?

Ok, let me be more specific:

I've BEEN trying to install it on several machines. Two are Windows 7 (x64) based systems, and one is a Windwow XP SP3 (x86) system.

All have the most recent updates, and all share the same configuration.

Horus tells you to install the software in C:\HKGunLoader if you are using Windows 7 or Vista. I've done that...

(Bottom of that page, right under the spot where they tell you to use a specific BT transciever...)

On ONE of the systems, that seems to work, on the others, it does not.

Given that the two systems that it fails to work on are Windows 7 and a Windows XP (SP3) machines... the software just doesn't install reliably.

If you plan on being on the road alot and are not using it for military applications, I'd get BT.

My laptop runs Windows 7 (x64) buy the way... and that's the machine it works on. Makes NO sense...

GB

Thanks for the explanation...I see what you are going through now. I already ordered the usb cable so I can use it on computers at work if I have to. So when I get it I will give a report.

Hey all, I'm new here but have been shooting for some time. I used to do all the ballistics using Exbal or Sierra programs, build an initial range card , then prove it with live fire at known distances. I bought the 4500 Horus unit, I like the efficiency it offers (possibly), downloaded the software (Kestrel, USB D driver, and GunLoader) the other day, bought the USB cable, and fired them all up...Windows Vista and XP (slow). Most forum comments are correct. The Horus Gunloader software is a joke. The Gun Library function doesn't work and is useless. Gun files can be downloaded fairly easily to the unit but it takes time and I've had the function lock up probably 50% of the time. Then I have to open the unit to shut it down since the buttons don't respond.

I used their bullet data (tried to) but the BC's didn't seem right for 223 77 Sierras etc. But, you can modify them with velocity ranges etc if you want to. Once downloaded, one guns BC went to a negative value and wouldn't register Range data or anything else. Another gun just wouldn't show up. However these were recified by deleting the guns I could in the unit, and redownloading the list again. For the cash spent I did expect alot better performance and especially software. But the ballistics problems I ran through the unit correspond fairly close to what my other programs dish out (Exbal, Sierra). More practical shooting use to test on this. BTW the Kestrel software one can use for the weather meter capability worked just fine on both vista and xp.

Yeah, for me, it was installation issues... I wasn't impressed with the load data either, but, that I'll take with a grain of salt.

The 1 out of 3 working installation attempts was annoying.

...and I'd much rather see a Gun Library that actually had common rifles in a DB.

Oh yeah, with the BT version, I haven't had any crashing... that's new.

where did you purchase this equipment from? was it sold as a kit?

GBMaryland:

I agree that the software seems amateurish, but I did not have installation issues once I found that note about the Windows 7 directory to use. I installed it on two PCs, both running Win 7. On one, I'm a power user, on the other I'm an admin. Both seem to have the DSN connection to Access working, as on the Library tab, I see a long list of choices in the drop down box.

sab1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GBMaryland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Third, it DOES NOT wipe all of the guns from the Kestrel and replace them. No idea why, but one would have to assume you want to nuke any strays. Odd in general.</div></div>

When in doubt, read the manual. From page 5:

The Gun Selection screen allows you to choose a preconfigured
gun or build your own. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">You may create and store up to
9 user-created guns. A user-created gun is defined as a gun
that has been modified for one or more parameter values of
the New Gun or any of the library guns.</span></span>

When a New Gun is modified, the name instantly changes
to UserGunX (where X is a number suffix to ensure the name
is unique). If a library gun (whose name ends in a letter) is
modified, a number will appear at the end to create a unique
name. If a library gun (whose name ends in a number) is
modified, a letter will appear at the end to create a
unique name.

From page 7:

There is room in the Kestrel for up to 50 library guns. Several
library guns are pre-programmed in each Kestrel, but this can
be modified by building a new gun library on a computer
using the Horus Gun Library software, and downloading the
new gun library to the Kestrel (either via Bluetooth connection
or the Kestrel wired interface). <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Downloading a new gun
library will automatically overwrite the previous library guns
in the Kestrel (but not any user-created guns).</span></span>

Like you, I was trying to figure out why the guns weren't all disappearing, so I consulted the manual.

sab1

1:2 at any rate... manual solves one of the issues.

I've now installed the software on Vista, XP, and Windows 7.

...I've only gotten it to work on a laptop with Windows 7 installed.

Total of 7 attempts, 5 following the instructions precisely. (Oddly, the laptop was not one of them, but I did REINSTALL using the instructions, and then the DSN issue went away.)

There is nothing unusual about these OS installs, and the GPOs on some of the systems might be questionable with wireless devices... but I'm not leaning in that direction yet.

(I have now CAREFULLY gone of the manual line for line to see if I've missed anything.)

Thank you!

GB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=

Hmmm as was I. I dont have a fancy phone for ballistic programs, so this was high on my list of things I needed.

Dang.

Let us know if anything new surfaces.

Regards,
DT </div></div>

Try an IPOD touch, they run the same as the iphone and are a 100 bucks or
so on ebay. Go with a gen.3 as the earlier ones do bog down running JBM with
the inclinometer turned on for me. I just ordered a kestrel 4000 without bt. as
I find the DA very appealing for speed of entry. My friend has bullet flight in
his and I haven't seen if it has a density altitude option. Maybe someone here can chime in? (one caveat with the ipod, JBM won't dial up the weather in HUD,
it's not a phone.)

Hmm... considering this Kestral for long range calculations,as it provide all in one waterproof unit (my phone is NOT waterproof for sure). Appart from the BT issues (that I can live without), it seems it does not support BC G7, only G1 ?

I'm not sure, what it does provide is the ability to put in the velocities where th BC changes to the next BC.

I bought the unit thru the Kestrel web site, if I remember right. The Horus software I had to search for, I think I got that right from the Horus people and their website. The comnnecting cable was the same. So both directly from the their sites. It's been a while, I can't recall sorry. The Kestrel software was downloaded off their site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brother In Arms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm... considering this Kestral for long range calculations,as it provide all in one waterproof unit (my phone is NOT waterproof for sure). Appart from the BT issues (that I can live without), it seems it does not support BC G7, only G1 ?
</div></div>

Taking a close look at all of the documentation, I don't see anything that indicates G7 (boatail) bullet compensation.

I did see that one of the Kestrel vendors is listing that there is ANOTHER version of the 4500NV ATRAG that is "classified" and does more stuff.

I can't imagine why the G7 type profile would be a classified component... probably more an issue with Horus and laziness.

Of course, if I find out anything about a classified version, then my participation in this tread is over. (Horus should only wish... -grin-)

It looks like the military version may be the same calculations but compiled using a different dataset. Also neat is that the base tables or calcultaions may be modified by entering in actual results for the actual gun.

http://secure.horusvision.com/press.php?release=2

I get that this is only offered to military as this is where the data came from to build the program however.

--------------------------------------------

As to the original review how has the unit been under actual field conditions if you have had it out?

Thanks
Kane

The military version (only one I've used) has what they call the truing drop function which allows you to tweak the MV or BC to match actual field results (automated version of what everyone does already). It is a decent program for the military because it is simple and easy to teach to guys that are really not much into guns and ballistics, but IMO there are much better programs out there.

I ended up buying a 4500NV with Bluetooth.

Gotta read the book to see how to work the damn thing......

I was about to order the 4500NV from

http://www.kestrelmeters.com/collections/frontpage/products/kestrel-4500-horus-atrag-ballistics-1

however I read what Jay from OR wrote in his review about input data and adjustments further down on the page..:

Doesn't Atrag change the POI due to the change in condtions from sighting in to current shooting conditions? If you sight in at 10 F and shoot at 40 F, getting a higher MV, doesn't the program figure out that given that you plot in the correct veloctities aso?? Changing veloctiy isn't enough, your're stil lgoing to miss low since the lower velocity isn't accounted for in the sight in - zero range beeing low..

If that is not possible, it is rather useless compared to other programs? The whole point with such a device is to receive a first hit, not beeing several clicks away..

I whish Nielsen-Kellerman had teemed up with nightforce instead if that is the case.. ExBal works very well.