• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 2700 vs 5700

Slash0311

Snafubar
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Southwest Indiana
    Im considering the new 2700. From the description on the website, it has the Link app and applied ballistics. Ive never used one and Im not sure I need all of the festures of the 5700.

Most of my shooting will be less than 500 yards with one rifle. There is the possibility of hunting rifles but not likely.

Im not sure I will use or need the advanced features of the 5700 and need to save the money if I can. Can someone more familiar with the features explain if I would ever use the features on the 5700 that are not on the 2700? The 2700 was supposed to be available in June but now July and the delay is causing me to rethink the 5700.

Reactions: Near miss
    I won't bring much here as I do not have one but have been looking to buy one. But for me looking from your boots the problem would be one missing feature compared to the 5700.

The 2700 has no muzzle velocity temperature correction which I am not sure at all how it will affect the shots taken if you live some place with full four seasons. I think you will be able to get it very close without it though.

Maybe someone here could open it up for me too?

The 2700 says it's good out to 875 yards, but what does that mean exactly? Can you even input a range longer than that to get a calculation?

Can you use the 2700 on different rifles just one at a time. Example deer caliber for deer season then varmint caliber for varmint hunting.

Saw this , So id say yes
    Free Kestrel LiNK Ballistics App – View solutions remotely and easily build, store, and transfer gun and bullet data to and from unit and view solutions remotely using the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics App

2700 only holds one profile at a time.

So if you take another gun, you must upload the profile from your phone. If the 2700 you take is equipped with LINK.

5700 non-elite models take 3 profiles.

Changing profiles via phone with LINK is easy. But doing it constantly is a bit of pain, but not a big issue.

How many profiles can you save in Link on your phone?

@ Kestrel Ballistics
    Ordered your black friday deal THANKS!

I think the 2700 will be perfect for me. I’m mainly wanting something for hunting and won’t need multiple profiles. I do wish it had the ability to go past 875 yards though.

Reactions: reich10
    The Sportsman 5700 with Bushnell 1 mile range finder can be had for only 400 bucks on amazon. I bought one because I lost my 2700 while hunting. I upgraded it to the elite and now I have the rangefinder plus the kestrel 5700 elite with link for only 600 bucks.

Reactions: Alekzandr
    @Kestrel Ballistics If you want your 2700 to process past 875 yards is it a software update? I feel like it is a huge gap between 875 and 4000 yards. I don’t know anyone that is shooting out to 4000 but I know plenty of people shooting to 1600. Why 875?

If I were to guess it was done this way to make people spend the extra money to get the 5700.

He said no on anything over 875 ,and no updates. I suspect the reason is to keep the 2700 sub 200 dollars.