• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700x worth it? Lack of Easy Mode, battery life?

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
So my Google-fu is weak on this one.

I’m debating between the 5700 Elite AB Link and the 5700X AB Link.

I know the Bluetooth on the 5700X has better range, but I have seen a review that says its battery life is worse than the Elite (which makes sense if the X’s BT power sucks more juice).

My questions, being a noob:
  1. Is the lack of Easy Mode on the 5700X a problem, especially for a beginner?
  2. Is the 5700x’s better BT range a big deal?
  3. Is the 5700x’s battery life worse enough vs. the Elite to make a difference to you? (If this prob even exists)
Thanks for your knowledge!

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:
I have a 5700elite LiNK. Dont have battery problems ?

I keep spare batteries in my pack anyway.

Dont use easy mod. Yes it works, but if you are dropping coin on a good piece of kit, at least learn how to exploit all its functions. Kestrel has online video sessions every so often. Get into one.

I make a habit of changing batteries for big 2-day national matches anyway.
I have a 5700elite LiNK. Dont have battery problems ?
I must’ve been unclear, I’m talking about the 5700x reportably drawing down batteries faster than the Elite.

Probably because of the extra juice the 5700x needs to power it’s increased BT range?

Whatever the reason for the extra battery draw (if it exists), I just don’t know if the 5700x battery life is an issue or not? Yeah, it may kill batteries faster, but if that means a battery change every 4 days vs 5, no big deal. But if it means every 2 days vs 5, well…(made up numbers here, I have no idea how long the batteries last in either unit).

Sounds like Easy Mode is nbd.

Thanks for the experiences and info thus far guys! Helpful, you are. Happy, I am.

FYI I edited my first post to make my questions a bit more clear.

Last edited:
Never used the easy mode ... Never have had an issue with the BT... Only thing I can think of that being an advantage is maybe pairing to a lrf.
I believe that’s the X’s selling point in BT-land. The other is that one can turn the BT range way down on the X for the mil types.

I have no idea if the Elite model’s BT is adjustable. What sayeth thou?

I believe that’s the X’s selling point in BT-land. The other is that one can turn the BT range way down on the X for the mil types.

I have no idea if the Elite model’s BT is adjustable. What sayeth thou?

I have an elite and I don't think there is a way to adjust the BT output but maybe there is on one of the newer firmwares. I'll check in a bit.

I used to drop connection with a lieca lrf but since I switched to the sig 10ks I haven't had an issue

Reactions: carbonbased
Off-topic but wow this tutorial by xring is helping me understand the Kestrel. Just have to pick a model now.

I had 5700 and now own 5700X - for my use, i am not seeing the advantage or disadvantage of having one over the other. Is the X quicker as a solver? Yeah maybe by .045 seconds - LOL.
I compared those two side by side and really the results are really not that off.

As far as battery drain - I'm not seeing anything from the X that would make me switch to 5700.

The only reason I got the X was because of a deal, otherwise I'd still be running the 5700

Also, once you get comfortable using it, you'll never go back to EASY mode ..

So my Google-fu is weak on this one.

I’m debating between the 5700 Elite AB Link and the 5700X AB Link.

I know the Bluetooth on the 5700X has better range, but I have seen a review that says its battery life is worse than the Elite (which makes sense if the X’s BT power sucks more juice).

My questions, being a noob:
  1. Is the lack of Easy Mode on the 5700X a problem, especially for a beginner?
  2. Is the 5700x’s better BT range a big deal?
  3. Is the 5700x’s battery life worse enough vs. the Elite to make a difference to you? (If this prob even exists)
Thanks for your knowledge!

(edited for clarity)
Easy mode leads you through the steps to do Kestel functions. It does not save time and most end up using Ballistic Mode.

BT max range is the same for all Kestrels with Link, the X has the ability to turn down the power (military use) but max is the same for all.

Haven't seen any difference between X and other 5700 battery life. I use a Kestrel daily and change battery every couple of months, normal use should be more like a year or so. Carry a spare battery and there is no problem.

X has a faster processor than the Elite, but unless you are running a range card at extreme distances you won't see any difference. It is the top of the line, however, and many see value in that.

@Badjujuu and @azred33 thx for that.

I think I’d just go for the X then.

But I hunt varmints vs match shooting so my DoF is constantly changing during one sitting, like every 30sec, sometimes near 180°. I sit on a 360° swivel table or use a tripod. It would be really nice to auto-recalibrate the remote wind meter DoF for each target, whatever solution I wind up with.

Don’t think that’s possible yet with current products. So the next best thing is remote manual updating the wind meter’s DoF.

Anyway, workflow considerations are near the top of my list.

On this thread I started, here’s what I’ve found that allows remote manual changes of the DoF and factors that into the firing solution (updating it as I discover more info):

The following combos allow changing DoF from the shooting position with a remote wind meter:
  • Strelok + Weatherflow (not sure which models of WF work)
  • Strelok + a Calypso ultrasonic wind meter
Maybe I’ll just wind up with a wind rose and gun mph system and a handheld Kestrel to keep it simpler.

Reactions: Badjujuu
@Badjujuu and @azred33 thx for that.

I think I’d just go for the X then.

But I hunt varmints vs match shooting so my DoF is constantly changing during one sitting, like every 30sec, sometimes near 180°. I sit on a 360° swivel table or use a tripod. It would be really nice to auto-recalibrate the remote wind meter DoF for each target, whatever solution I wind up with.

Don’t think that’s possible yet with current products. So the next best thing is remote manual updating the wind meter’s DoF.

Anyway, workflow considerations are near the top of my list.

On this thread I started, here’s what I’ve found that allows remote manual changes of the DoF and factors that into the firing solution (updating it as I discover more info):

The following combos allow changing DoF from the shooting position with a remote wind meter:
  • Strelok + Weatherflow (not sure which models of WF work)
  • Strelok + a Calypso ultrasonic wind meter
Maybe I’ll just wind up with a wind rose and gun mph system and a handheld Kestrel to keep it simpler.
For Wind adjustments based on Target change consider a Vortex 5000 Fury AB LRF or some of the Leica products that have a compass built in and will automatically updated the new DOF, angle and range and cause the Kestrel to adjust wind to the new target. The elevation and wind hold then show up in the lens of the LRF so you don't need to look at the Kestrel. Best process for hunters, IMO.

For Wind adjustments based on Target change consider a Vortex 5000 Fury AB LRF or some of the Leica products that have a compass built in and will automatically updated the new DOF, angle and range and cause the Kestrel to adjust wind to the new target. The elevation and wind hold then show up in the lens of the LRF so you don't need to look at the Kestrel. Best process for hunters, IMO.
good to know...IMHO kestrel next generation needs a (low profite) bezel/knob on it so you can just rotate to actual wind...getting into the menus and then theres not even a number pad to assign 330 vs 220 etc...then, for a multi shot target card ...ugh...

Reactions: NiteQwill
So, I’m looking for a product for this scenario:
  1. Wind meter is on a tripod behind me somewhere and I’m sitting on a swivel table
  2. I find the target with LRF binos and range it
  3. Some sort of display tells me the elevation and wind hold for that DoF. ex. on a phone or in the LRF bino’s readout
  4. I shoot
  5. I rotate my swivel bench 100° do the same dance without getting up to recalibrate anything (like DoF)
Do you have first hand knowledge of this setup working (or a link to a vid)? I haven’t seen this sort of workflow in action, or I did but wasn’t paying attention.

If the Vortex/Leica LRF binos do this then I’m quite surprised that the Sig 10k doesn’t, as it too has a compass onboard. Perhaps Leica and Vortex are more attune user needs?

So, I’m looking for a product for this scenario:
  1. Wind meter is on a tripod behind me somewhere and I’m sitting on a swivel table
  2. I find the target with LRF binos and range it
  3. Some sort of display tells me the elevation and wind hold for that DoF. ex. on a phone or in the LRF bino’s readout
  4. I shoot
  5. I rotate my swivel bench 100° do the same dance without getting up to recalibrate anything (like DoF)
Do you have first hand knowledge of this setup working (or a link to a vid)? I haven’t seen this sort of workflow in action, or I did but wasn’t paying attention.

If the Vortex/Leica LRF binos do this then I’m quite surprised that the Sig 10k doesn’t, as it too has a compass onboard. Perhaps Leica and Vortex are more attune user needs?
Kestrel + HUD + device that has built in DoF like Terrapin X.

Sigs do NOT transmit DoF.

I run this setup... Works exactly as you described.

Kestrel + HUD + device that has built in DoF like Terrapin X.

Sigs do NOT transmit DoF.

I run this setup... Works exactly as you described.
Ok, this is handy. Added to my list here (bottom of first post).

So what other exact combo of products do this? And how?

I’m digging but man it’s like no one shoots more than one carefully selected target at a time every 10 minutes while they are sipping tea (with pinkie raised lol). Reviews don’t even delve into my sort of scenario.

• Haha
Reactions: NiteQwill