• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel firmware 1.48 now available with new features

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
Please be aware that Kestrel firmware version 1.48 is now available. Please make sure you save any gun profiles currently on the Kestrel in the app or AB Profile Loader before proceeding with the update. Also note that some of these features will require you to update the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app and/or HUD Firmware for them to work properly. Here is a list of the main changes with this update: https://kestrelballistics.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/1131 We hope you enjoy these new features and we welcome any feedback. Thanks!

Is there a checklist for successful firmware update? Last time I did a firmware update before a match it was a mess. I had to delete all of my guns in the Kestrel and reload them. I made the mistake of updating and over the top of the guns in the Kestral with bad results. Once I reloaded the guns, no issues.

Just did the update but the drag model still shows custom for me for all profiles that were using CDMs from the library. I have a 5700 elite.

I've tried factory reset on kestrel and re-selecting the CDM from the bullet library in the link app and then re sending to the kestrel.

Still no dice. Am I missing something?

Reactions: Tailwind
Just did the update but the drag model still shows custom for me for all profiles that were using CDMs from the library. I have a 5700 elite.

I've tried factory reset on kestrel and re-selecting the CDM from the bullet library in the link app and then re sending to the kestrel.

Still no dice. Am I missing something?
updating your profiles in the app using the library to select AB Custom will load the Custom Curve and the G1 and G7 data, save the profile and then download to the Kestrel, be sure to rename /delete / or overwrite or you will have dups of everything. Once you do that you can flip between custom, G7 and G1 in the Kestrel and get the correct BC. If you have done all of that and still have a problem let us know 800-784-4221. CDMs are for those who have had their rifles tested by AB.

Yes, apologies mean the custom curve. Whst you outlined was what i tried the 2nd go around and still had the issue. I will give you a ring!

Just an update. Typically Android apps did not go through a thorough review but apparently this has changed. Therefore until Google releases the new version of the app, you may not see features such as seeing the custom drag curve name being displayed. The new app version should be released within a day or 2 and once it is, if you just send the profiles to the Kestrel from the new version, these features will be available

Do Android users need to "reinstall" the app? I tried ,but my app keeps shutting down? however my 5700 shows 1.48 & BOOT 1.01
Did I get the update?
Thanks

What’s the BL auto calc mean?
bullet length

BL - Bullet Length. The default setting of Bullet Length is to automatically calculate a value based on Bullet Weight and Diameter. Auto calc can be turned off in the sub menu if it does not accurately estimate the length of the bullet used.

Reactions: HD1911
bullet length

BL - Bullet Length. The default setting of Bullet Length is to automatically calculate a value based on Bullet Weight and Diameter. Auto calc can be turned off in the sub menu if it does not accurately estimate the length of the bullet used.
I’m brand new to the Kestrel game. Do most leave this on or off?

I have an original Sportsman model and I have yet to connect it to the Kestrel app for updates. Will this be the last update or first update?

Please be aware that Kestrel firmware version 1.48 is now available. Please make sure you save any gun profiles currently on the Kestrel in the app or AB Profile Loader before proceeding with the update. Also note that some of these features will require you to update the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app and/or HUD Firmware for them to work properly. Here is a list of the main changes with this update: https://kestrelballistics.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/1131 We hope you enjoy these new features and we welcome any feedback. Thanks!

Oh, I thought selecting a bullet in the library supplied an actual measured length? Lol, I need a Kestrel for noobs manual.
If is in the library it should be measured. There is a lot that isn't there.

Good resource for things that have been measured that may not be in the library:

Reactions: HD1911
If is in the library it should be measured. There is a lot that isn't there.

Good resource for things that have been measured that may not be in the library:
Gotcha, thank you.

Another question for whomever…. After the update the other day, I noticed my Kestrel was stuck in Meters, even though I clearly had everything setup in yards. That normal or just maybe a glitch?

Gotcha, thank you.

Another question for whomever…. After the update the other day, I noticed my Kestrel was stuck in Meters, even though I clearly had everything setup in yards. That normal or just maybe a glitch?
If Accuracy 1st mode is enabled it will override that.

Once the trade show and convention season is over sign up for their online classes once they schedule some:

Reactions: kcrippen
Gotcha, thank you.

Yes, updates do alter some settings so it is wise to always scan profiles and environment after update.

Reactions: Cudruln and HD1911
SSF is still in testing.

Man I know I'm just shooting the messenger here, and we all appreciate the effort you do to answer questions and keep everyone on here informed and up to date, but this is pretty damn disappointing from NK. Been waiting for this forever. Bryan Litz has stated that one of the more common errors in ballistic apps is imprecise scope tracking. AB can account for it in their software, other ballistic programs have it, and yet NK will not incorporate it into the Kestrels, or at the least dragging their feet on implementing it. How hard can it be to get in there, seems like it would be fairly simple code.

Ok rant over, I was just excited when I saw the update and thought we would finally get it.

I just updated to 1.48.
My 12" number is N/A in accuracy first page.
Environment is locked and elevatio is in mils.
Does anyone have this problem? How can I solve this?

Attachments

• 16434695457623533914735401850757.jpg
    16434695457623533914735401850757.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 88
I just updated to 1.48.
My 12" number is N/A in accuracy first page.
Environment is locked and elevatio is in mils.
Does anyone have this problem? How can I solve this?
The parameters of the 12" drill were refined with FW 1.48. The 0.7 was added to imply that there requires a rule change to the standard 12” drill to maintain accuracy inside of 0.3 mils. This way the Kestrel cannot give you a value to use that exceeds an error of 0.3. If you know the rules of 12” drill then you can still click View Table and use this tool. For further questions we recommend reaching out to Accuracy 1st directly

Reactions: vss
With the new update on the Target card with Sectors, are the sectors available on the app also? I have android and I am only seeing the "old" 10 spot target card with zero sectors. Does the phone need to be paired with the Kestrel in order to see the Sectors? Thanks

Thanks for getting this long-needed feature into the Kestrel. I took the risky move of updating to 1.48 right before a match to get this feature and I successfully used Sectors at an 18 stage match last weekend. It was great to be able to load them all in on Friday once we got the match book. Then at each stage I would pull up the stage dope based on current conditions/winds on Saturday on Sunday. Being able to type them in via the app would just further speed up the data entry.

I would like the ability (in the target card and sectors) to be able to manually enter the target DOF and wind parameters manually for all targets at once vs using the capture function or manually entering it target by target. For example, I expect the wind to be 10:30 @ 5 MPH so I want to pre-enter that data and get some initial dope written down in my book. My hotel room didn't have that wind data to capture so I needed to manually enter it in.

I'd skipped adding stages with a single distance but that messed up the sector to stage mapping, so next time I'll add every single stage regardless of number of distances/targets. That way sector 18 is stage 18, not sector 14 is stage 18.

Reactions: Holliday
Thanks for getting this long-needed feature into the Kestrel. I took the risky move of updating to 1.48 right before a match to get this feature and I successfully used Sectors at an 18 stage match last weekend. It was great to be able to load them all in on Friday once we got the match book. Then at each stage I would pull up the stage dope based on current conditions/winds on Saturday on Sunday. Being able to type them in via the app would just further speed up the data entry.

I would like the ability (in the target card and sectors) to be able to manually enter the target DOF and wind parameters manually for all targets at once vs using the capture function or manually entering it target by target. For example, I expect the wind to be 10:30 @ 5 MPH so I want to pre-enter that data and get some initial dope written down in my book. My hotel room didn't have that wind data to capture so I needed to manually enter it in.

I'd skipped adding stages with a single distance but that messed up the sector to stage mapping, so next time I'll add every single stage regardless of number of distances/targets. That way sector 18 is stage 18, not sector 14 is stage 18.
You can do it for wind. Go to Wind Inputs...and do an All Tgt Wnd Capture. When you end the capture, you should still be on the screen with Continue Go showing at the top. At this point instead of selecting Go, scroll down and manually change the wind direction and speeds. THEN go back to Continue Go and accept it. This should populate all 10 targets with your manually entered value.

Does 1.48 make any changes to the kestrel/hornady 5700 4DOF ?

Any updates from Google on updating the app? Cheers
I'm not sure if mine completed the update? as the app kept shutting down?

Guy at my last PRS match said he lost his rifle profiles when he did the update (but had them backed up). Is that a thing? Kind of scary.

I’ve only ever not lost my profiles on the last two updates.

Guy at my last PRS match said he lost his rifle profiles when he did the update (but had them backed up). Is that a thing? Kind of scary.
Guy at your last PRS match needs to read the instructions which clearly state to back your shit up *BEFORE* you do the update, then restore your profiles once the update is done. This is standard software practices.

Guy at your last PRS match needs to read the instructions which clearly state to back your shit up *BEFORE* you do the update, then restore your profiles once the update is done. This is standard software practices.
I've never NOT had my profiles backed up, and they've almost always been deleted from both the Kestrel and the app.

I've never NOT had my profiles backed up, and they've almost always been deleted from both the Kestrel and the app.
If you're backing your gun profiles to the mobile Link app on your phone, and loosing them in the upgrade on the kestrel, then you're doing it wrong.