• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel fw 1.42 released today

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
FW 1.42 is being released today which will fix the following bug that was introduced with version 1.41:

When scrolling on the Kestrel from a G1 or G7 drag model to a pre-loaded custom curve and then back again, the original BW and BD was changing. This version ensures the initial G1 or G7 bullet attributes are preserved in this situation.

Please back up your gun profiles prior to doing any firmware updates with the Kestrel.

Still working on the iOS 14 problem. So far, if you do not select the single target screen the app will work, but selecting Single Target will not bring up the screen and may crash the app.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Why does the transfer of gun profiles work the way it does, creating duplicates every time? It becomes difficult to manage. Could they not be actually synced?

Why does the transfer of gun profiles work the way it does, creating duplicates every time? It becomes difficult to manage. Could they not be actually synced?

Change by:

go into Settings->Profile Downloads in the app. Change from Append to Overwrite. Then two identically named profiles won't exist on the app

After three tries I finally got my Kestrel Elite updated from 1.41, but my 4DOF doesn't appear to want/need the update to 1.42. Anyway, the app checks what firmware the 4DOF has and authenticates it and that is it. Is there a problem here?

Reactions: kimbergoldmatch
After three tries I finally got my Kestrel Elite updated from 1.41, but my 4DOF doesn't appear to want/need the update to 1.42. Anyway, the app checks what firmware the 4DOF has and authenticates it and that is it. Is there a problem here?

The 1.41 problem was only affecting the Elite Kestrels. The Hornady 4DOF units were not affected and will not update to 1.42.

Reactions: AFancyPenguin
Another upgrade that deletes all the Gun Profiles on your phone app ... really dumb.

CAUTION: Make sure you sync between Kestrel and Phone App BEFORE the upgrade, because your profiles will disappear on the Phone App and you'll have to go get all those profiles and rebuild them from your Kestrel. If you've made Phone App entries and not sync'd before the upgrade, that data will be gone forever.

To Kestrel ... how is that OK? Why haven't you fixed that awful upgrade defect?
Who at Kestrel is getting fired for this? (Suggestion: Start with your QA Manager.)

I run a big business for a technology Fortune-50 company. If somebody that worked for me let that defect out into the installed base (on multiple upgrades) ... they'd be flipping burgers the next day.

I wonder what the "Trigger" is for this not to work ... it literally "always" wipes my gun profiles in an upgrade. Are you IOS or Android?

I'm not the guy to even speculate on the trigger as I'm still learning to effectively use mine. I'm on IOS and all I know is my three profiles were there when I started and they are there now.

Weird ... every time I've upgraded, including this time, it's wiped my Phone App gun profiles. Luckily, I know I'm not imagining it since the upgrade screen literally warns that before upgrade you should backup since gun profiles "may" be deleted. For that warning to be there, you know it's gotta happen a lot. Glad it works for you. I have 15 profiles ... maybe it's a function of the volume of profiles. Either way, they need to fix this bug.

My 7 profiles survived the update. iOS

Last edited:
Calling for firings and calling vendors morons is not a productive way to get issues fixed. This is the type of stuff that runs industry personal off forums and limits the access consumers have to them here.

Don’t do this going forward.

I hope this update reduces how often I have to calibrate my compass. It has been happening a couple times per match. Round and round and round I go...
I'll find out Sunday.

> No profiles were lost (iPhone X, iOS 14) doing the update.

Weird ... every time I've upgraded, including this time, it's wiped my Phone App gun profiles. Luckily, I know I'm not imagining it since the upgrade screen literally warns that before upgrade you should backup since gun profiles "may" be deleted. For that warning to be there, you know it's gotta happen a lot. Glad it works for you. I have 15 profiles ... maybe it's a function of the volume of profiles. Either way, they need to fix this bug.
I know this may sound like overkill, but I bought a cheap Samsung Galaxy prepaid smartphone from Walmart just to use as a "backup" for my gun profiles you don't have to activate it you can use it with WI-FI. When I make changes I make sure I transfer them to the app on the prepaid phone so I can always use it to redownload them to the Kestrel and then from the Kestrel I can put them back on my iPhone.........Just a thought!

Reactions: reynja
I just updated mine and it went great. All profiles loaded nothing was lost. 5700 Elite iPhone XR iOS 13.7.

Is there "anybody" out there that lost all their phone app gun profiles after the upgrade? Am I truly "alone"?
Hard to believe that, when the upgrade start-screen literally warns of wiped gun profiles and advises a backup for protection.
I must be "Special" ... like "Special Education", or "Special Olympics", or ... 🤪 ... gotta go now. It's cold this morning and I have flagpoles to lick.

Well this is a first for me, most of the data on my 5700E was retained through the update. Multiple checks and restarts seems to verify it did update to 1.42 properly. Temp/MV data still intact, profiles correct, latitude OK, declination correction, even bullet lengths were kept the same. Only prob I've found so far was the clock got pushed back about 12 hours, and compass required re-calibration (normal).

I'm a little suspicious, frankly. "When something seems too good to be true" and all that.

Using the optical cable and a p.c.

I hope this update reduces how often I have to calibrate my compass. It has been happening a couple times per match. Round and round and round I go...
I'll find out Sunday.

> No profiles were lost (iPhone X, iOS 14) doing the update.

Do you happen to use a Riflekuhl from Magnetospeed? This has a large magnet on it that will wipe the Kestrel's compass calibration. It is best to keep Kestrel away from it. Or look for other magnetic sources that might regularly come in contact with Kestrel.

• Wow
Reactions: Boxerglocker
I add a new bullet SMK 190gr today. And Kestrel gives me wrong solutions, I found a problem, its bullet length - 308 Sierra SMK gives me BL - 0.210inch, its to small.. should be ~1,350 I added a profile via Kestrel iOS app 240build

Last edited:
I add a new bullet SMK 190gr today. And Kestrel gives me wrong solutions, I found a problem, its bullet length - 308 Sierra SMK gives me BL - 0.210inch, its to small.. should be ~1,350 I added a profile via Kestrel iOS app 240build
What fw is on your kestrel, what phone are you using and if you press enter highlighting BL is auto calc on? I just created a profile using that bullet and got 1.353

I use:
- iPhone 6S
- latest iOS 14.0.1.
- Kestrel iOS app build 240
- Kestrel FW 1.42

Yes, I have BL auto calc on. I use metric system on it.

And this old problem (look at the picture wasn't resolve) I saw it on another device too.

IMG_0750.JPG

Do you happen to use a Riflekuhl from Magnetospeed? This has a large magnet on it that will wipe the Kestrel's compass calibration. It is best to keep Kestrel away from it. Or look for other magnetic sources that might regularly come in contact with Kestrel.

I don't have one of those. I don't know of anything magnetic in my pack, but will definitely see if anything is or could be causing this to happen.

Only a few things are even powered in my pack during a match: range finder, kestrel, phone

Thx,

Both my phone and my Ipad have been upgraded to the new IOS. Now neither will connect to the Kestrel. I have no way to update it o 1.42 from 1.41 unless it will connect. Anyone got any ideas? The phone and Ipad can's see the Kestrel and the Kestrel does not see the phone or the Ipad.... Bluetooth is on in the settings of both for the Kestrel app.

Updated mine and lost every profile. Some of them I wrote down, but not all. This is on me for failing to back up.
I guess I have an excuse to go to the range now. I can chrono my loads and actually write them down

Kestrel/Hornady 5700 4DOF - If you select a bullet from the bullet library that has 4 DOF you don't need to specify a BC ? Is that correct?
Thanks.

Contact the Help Desk 800-784-4221
I finally figured it out late last night. "privacy PIN" was off. It would not connect, nor could it be seen from anything, without turning it on. I guess the update had defaulted it back to off and i missed it.

I use:
- iPhone 6S
- latest iOS 14.0.1.
- Kestrel iOS app build 240
- Kestrel FW 1.42

Yes, I have BL auto calc on. I use metric system on it.

And this old problem (look at the picture wasn't resolve) I saw it on another device too.

View attachment 7437330
You need to turn off "BL auto calc". This is the problem of elevation calculations. In most cases BL auto calc gives wrong lenght of bullet.