• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel vs Streklok elevation Differences HELP

Bunny723

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2021
USA
I’m gonna begin this with I don’t really know how to use my kestrel that well but I do have my Reloading numbers down I do have my muzzle velocity‘s and all that data really really accurate and when I use StrelokPro and then when I go shoot to distance those numbers in Mills are almost entirely accurate when I shoot. When I try to calculate the same distance in the kestrel I get almost a whole mil difference higher then StrelokPro calculates despite the same exact date being plugged in. Can anyone help me ? I’m lost.

Assuming the following are correct

Both have:

Same velocity
Same Barometric pressure
Same temp
Same humidity
Same ballistic coefficient (G1 or G7)

Most times I find the bc can be off from one program to the next after putting your data in. Or one will just put a bc in for you that you can’t adjust

Also check the center of scope tube to center of bore are correct in each. Be roughly about 2 inches

I use StrelokPro and usually adjust the bc after entering the rest of the data to make final corrections

Many programs vary slightly from one to the next. Also how far are we talking it’s off a Mil? Some programs allow for offset zeros. As in 1” high at 100 vs 0 at 100. Some will be on at 100, 300, slightly off at 500, 800 etc. This can usually be corrected by playing with the BC numbers

Yes everything is the same and I have the correct bore height entered in. I thought you couldn’t or shouldn’t mess with BC of bullets that you use. I guess I was dead wrong. I was missing 2.4 mils high at 900 yards with the kestrels calculation and hit perfectly with the StrelokPro calculation at 900 yards. Still trying to figure out which way to adjust the BC in the kestrel so it matches the StrelokPro’s data.

Having done numerous comparisons between Strelok and Kestrel, they pretty much agree with each other, usually in tenth or two.

You are using BC values? Not CDMs? You picked the correct bullet?
You have no mess ups in the temp table or any similar like that?

Having done numerous comparisons between Strelok and Kestrel, they pretty much agree with each other, usually in tenth or two.

You are using BC values? Not CDMs? You picked the correct bullet?
You have no mess ups in the temp table or any similar like that?
I’m using the G7 BC values. I don’t use the CDM’s unless that is a better suggestion? I’m using the Lapua scenar-L 136g (.264) bullet on both applications. Oddly the BC on StrelokPro and Kestrel have different BC ratings for them. I’ve changed them to be equal and the elevation numbers still don’t match. I’ll check my temp tables but I’m pretty sure they were identical 2 days ago when I was shooting. Maybe I should contact kestrel and ask them how to go about this from a newbie perspective.

I’m using the G7 BC values. I don’t use the CDM’s unless that is a better suggestion? I’m using the Lapua scenar-L 136g (.264) bullet on both applications. Oddly the BC on StrelokPro and Kestrel have different BC ratings for them. I’ve changed them to be equal and the elevation numbers still don’t match. I’ll check my temp tables but I’m pretty sure they were identical 2 days ago when I was shooting. Maybe I should contact kestrel and ask them how to go about this from a newbie perspective.
What exactly were the values it populated for each app and what did you alter? Venturing a guess you are mixing and matching G1 and G7 without changing the drag model.

ETA:
Not seeing Scenar-L 136 gr .264 in Strelok's library, it is in AB mobile (and Kestrel)

The Lapua scenar-L 136g bullet data is actually under 6.5x47 Lapua in StrelokPro.

I’m getting U5.7 mrad on StrelokPro with a muzzle velocity of 2935f/ps at 60F. BC (G7) is .288 per StrelokPro app.
Kestrel is giving me U6.9 mrad with same muzzle velocity of 2935 f/ps at 60F. BC (G7) is .285.
I shot rounds using both solutions and the kestrel was high by almost 2mil’s. The StrelokPro is almost spot on accurate. Maybe under .2 of a mil.

Give us a run down of drops from 0 to 1k, it could be useful to decide where the error is since different values change the drop in different ways.

Ok. I’ve attached the StrelokPro table and I will attach the kestrel when I get back home for comparison.

Attachments

• 5F4EC2E3-5465-4921-A2B8-4B8B779CDCD1.jpeg
    5F4EC2E3-5465-4921-A2B8-4B8B779CDCD1.jpeg
    506.9 KB · Views: 47
Also try if creating a totally new profile into kestrel changes anything. Make 2 profiles, use CDM for the second one.

Strelok pro also has Lapua CDMs.
In the cartridge profile, click under "Drag function" and then you find the "Lapua Drag-functions"

Use them, a lot of work has been seen to make them.

This is going to be incredibly embarrassing and stupid but I figured out the issues. The kestrel distance was in Meters and StrelokPro was in Yards. FUCKKKKKKKK. At 900 yards on StrelokPro and 900 meters on the kestrel that would equate to 84 yards difference. No wonders the elevation was off so much. I switched to yards and the kestrel and StrelokPro agreed almost exactly. Thanks for all the help. I feel terrible for this huge oversight.

This is going to be incredibly embarrassing and stupid but I figured out the issues. The kestrel distance was in Meters and StrelokPro was in Yards. FUCKKKKKKKK. At 900 yards on StrelokPro and 900 meters on the kestrel that would equate to 84 yards difference. No wonders the elevation was off so much. I switched to yards and the kestrel and StrelokPro agreed almost exactly. Thanks for all the help. I feel terrible for this huge oversight.

Thank you for that. And why we always first ask about inputs. The kestrel site I shared is really good. They have video tutorials too, best way to walk through everything in the kestrel is to follow along in the videos.

Reactions: Bunny723
Hahhah I was guessing imperals vs SI too :)

You are not the first one who realizes what is wrong after being asked to supply info here, my biggest doubt was if you were ready to admit what is wrong.

Last edited:
Hey, you found it. Laugh and/or grump, then drive on.

At a match last year, I passed an acquaintance as we were changing stages. Me: "How's it going?" C: "Bad. I shot [some number of] stages and was missing [distant targets.] Then I remembered I had been to Coleman's Creek earlier in the week." Me: "You didn't." C: "I did."

"C" has lots of wins. Part of a shooting family that participates in PRS, 3-gun, and who knows what else.

Coleman's Creek has much if not most of their steel distanced in meters, not yards.

C's Kestrel was still set to meters. This match specified ranges in yards.

Another guy who has a pile of wins to his credit forgot to reset his elevation turret to zero after a 300-plus-yards stage in a rimfire match. He was clean going into the last stage. Dials elevation, shoots first shot... and sees no hit or splash or anything else. Light comes on in his head and he cranks a full turn off his elevation and finishes the match with the one miss.

Yep, I was in competition with my team the first time and my pal was missing the 800m, finally we noticed it was going way up, so we switched the shooter. Another team member engaged it and took the rest too.

After the stage I checked his dope and it was for 0C/30F whereas the competition was in 34C/90F. I have his rifle profiled in my Kestrel with temp table so I was able to give him new dope right then and there.

Shooting is quite complicated with all of the nuances going on. Routines are your friend and getting familiar with your equipment is important. Some lessons are due, you cannot get everything always right. Just hope you get them while practicing, not competing.

I use strelok pro, and have kestrel 5700 elite as backup, and for feeding enviro to strelok.

I had EXACTLY the same issue you did.

I currently use CDM on the kestrel, and as pointed out earlier, you MUST setup all variables, bore height, twist, etc.

I can not remember how i fixed it, but they are identical to 700ish meters now, which is fine for 95% of my shooting currently.

1: get velo
2: shoot a group at 4 or 500m. And make it a 5 shot like your life depended on it, or if you shoot a sub 2" group @500m you will get your dick sucked by thr prom queen.

3: Plug THAT data back in and use it as a verification for velo correction.
4: shoot a group at 1000ish or a little before transonic, and just keep imagining that prom queen.

5: edit your BC to try and make it line up.

Now compare kestel and strelok. Bet they are close.

6: have someone argue with you on the internet that this is the worst way to do it and that the prom queen was really a drag queen.

Hahhah I was guessing imperals vs SI too :)

You are not the first one who realizes what is wrong after being asked to supply info here, my biggest doubt was if you were ready to admit what is wrong.
I’m always easy to admit when I was wrong. That’s part of being humble while learning this new discipline. All good, I’m sure there will be many more learning mistakes in the future. 😩