• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kifaru Nomad and Gun Scabbard????

Mike_Honcho

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2007
Looking like this might not be a bad system.

Requirements:

Frame - either a Duplex or a Bikini (both handle 100+ #s) - Bikini Platform Frame And Suspension ? Kifaru Intl. Online Store
Nomad Bag - Nomad
Scabbard -Kifaru Gun Scabbard ? Kifaru Intl. Online Store

Now on the Kifaru forum there is a thread in which Aaron is discussing being able to do the same thing with the rifle, but with something more akin to their existing gun bearer (but internally) which would save weight http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=35295. However, I don't see why the rifle can not also just be cross lashed on the frame and then use one of their 'grab its' to hold the bottom.

I know Eberlestock is popular, and Mystery Ranch has their Overload series, but in a lot of ways this makes more sense.

Last edited:
24hourcampfire . com does a great write up of this pack and others like it.

I have used it, I love it. They have a light way (the gun bearer) and a full scabbard (which doubles as a range bag). It is a first class system. For hunting, the gunbearer would be the way to go, for rucking a 50 up a mountain, the full scabbard provides a lot of protection for the gun. I've carried insane loads on the bikini suspension.

ETA: One other little detail, that I like a lot - You can adjust the position of the gun (in either the scabbard or the gunbearer) vertically, so if you need to ride a horse or slide down a snowfield, you can raise it up; Drop it low if you want to keep it from sticking out above your head. The adjustment is simple and quick.

Last edited:
I don't have experience with the new scabbards and pack models, but I have an EMR pack on a duplex frame and can speak to load carrying capacity.

It is by far the most comfortable load carrying system that I have used and the gear is put together like a tank. I am between 150-160# and 5'10, and regularly do ski tours with 75-80#'s loaded up. It becomes very important in that scenario to have a load that doesn't swing independently and can stay put when doing dynamic moves. The beautiful thing is that it does all this without loading the tops of your shoulders- kind of feels like you are part of a tightly wrapped burrito.

Will love to hear what Frank has to say about the scabbard system!

I also liked the fact that I could visit the factory, try some things on, and get sized.

For anyone that has worked with the Duplex and the Bikini - care to comment? I am looking hard at these as I still happy w/ impressed by the quality of my G1 gear from them. That said I am also interested in the Mystery Ranch Overload Alpha. However, my understanding is that Nice frame, while awesome is a little short. As such, larger folks need to spend more $ on a lift kit. Gen II Load Lifter Panel (LLP) | Oneiros Valley or Mystery Ranch Backpacks | NICE Lift Kit

I can't speak to the Kifaru, but I really like my Mystery Ranch - I have two now - one for my son and one for me. They work great Elk hunting, and fit really well. They are a bit heavy if your running them empty - pretty much overkill for a day pack - which is primarily due to the NICE suspension - but its very comfortable.

We also run it with the gun bearer, which works well for me, but my son doesn't like it, he would rather carry the rifle.

I've got the bikini, so far I really like it. I've only taken it on a couple good hikes.i just bought the frame and then put a cuben fiber bag on it. Weights in just over 3 pounds.
I haven't tried the stone glacier or parodox which are the only other packs in this weight class.