• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Knee Pain

Frontiersman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2011
Central NY
Been having knee pain for a few months now. Finally went to the Doc. She x rayed and didn't see any problems. Told me to RICE and limit activity for a few days and is referring me to an ortho doc. In the meantime, I've been doing some research, and it is almost certainly patellafemoral pain syndrome. Anybody have any experience with this? What worked to recover and how long before I can expect to be back to normal? Thanks.

I had this in both knees one summer when I was in high school. Avoided stairs, kneeling down and putting all my weight on my knees, and mountain biking for a few months and it resolved itself. Take it easy, because you only get one set of knees.

Try accupuncture, it worked for me. 3 sessions and that was 4 years ago and I haven't had any problems since.

Acupuncturist who is the real deal are hard to find. I had one here and she spoke Korean and Chinese but no English. Trained in China, she was very good. The state demands that she be a Licensed MD/DO to play acupuncturist. Most Westerners are not able to due a full session of needles and it takes some getting use too.

I would start to get some knee braces and start wearing them to help stabilize. I would also practice the RICE.

Thanks. I'll give some of those ideas a try. Not sure about acupuncture though. No idea where I would find a real deal acupuncturist around here. Even real deal doctors are hard to come by in rural NY.

This may sound strange, but eat jello!!! If you do not like jello, try knox unflavored gelatine. knox Gelatine works for me, I take 1 packet a day in juice. just make sure you stir very well. You can pick up at your local grocery store.
Good luck and no more pain.

PF pain responds well to terminal arc extension exercises to strengthen the Vastus Medialis.
One uses weights and set the exercise resistance from 40 degrees extension to full extension. One has to really increase the resistance over time...
However some PF pain is related to structural pathology and limb alignment which only can respond to extensive surgery to realign the limb and the quad forces across the knee..very complicated, and few can correctly do the surgery... Good luck

Back in September, 2012, I tore the patellar tendon from my right knee (complete detachment of the quad to knee cap). Recovery and rehab was a bitch and is still not as strong as the other leg. I learned from my therapists that 90% of peoples' knee pain is a result of hip strength. Serious hip abduction / adduction strengthening along with other stabilization exercises have certainly helped but I still have trouble with proper tracking of the knee cap - it is coming though.

FWIW to you, this situation for me has been long and arduous and the one thing I can stress is once you find knowledgeable help with your particular issue, do not deviate or slack off. I slacked for a few months due to my work schedule and it honestly set me back several months worth of recovery.

Good luck to you.
Rooster

This is what my trainer at gym is having me do- it's all hips and core related, plus hamstrings. But one 'new' thing we've been doing is really intense 'foam rolling' of all leg muscle groups, plus putting a baseball on the inside of your knee on the ground. Feels almost like acupuncture! But these things are eliminating what we think is knee pain when it's not. The core and stability sessions are the best $$ I've ever spent. FWIW

Lots of good advice here! If you do your research you'll find that surgery should be your last option. Unfortunately, when you go to see an orthopedic SURGEON they have a bias to cut. I agree that strength training the muscles around the knee is very important. You might try a physical therapist FIRST before trying any suggested surgery. Best of luck to you!

A general thought - daily stretching sessions of all major leg muscle groups (calves / hams / quads / glutes - esp the IT band & periformis / hips / low back) + strengthening (beginning with air squats / unweighted lunges / single & double stiff leg deadlifts / calf raises -> progressively heavier weight) - cure a whole lot more than the Orthopod or Western Medicine wants you to know.

Ive been dealing with sciatica, piriformis, and knee pain for years. The only thing that has ever helped is strength training and working on my posture. Never skip leg day, especially if you sit on your ass for a living.

Go with the Jello, ibuprofen or sleeve (naproxen) and rest as mentioned and you should feel better in a few weeks. Ortho won't have anything to offer other than MRI possibly and physical therapy. You can find the appropriate exercises online, if you search.
Good luck and a speedy recovery!

Great comment - I have a colleague that tells his patients "sitting is the new smoking". I've started telling some of patients the same thing.

Boy, can I relate to that. The old grey mare just ain't what she used to be either. Effective cardio and staying injury free are about the toughest things I've ever done, it seems. Domestication and career decisions taking me away from any physical requirement for years now has left me with a body that now takes far more intensity, patience, care, and calendar pages than it ever did back when all I was really required to do in life was pay the damn rent!

Stretching and appropriate exercises, especially when prescribed by a physical therapist, will resolve most Patellofemoral malalignment problems. However it not resolve things such as meniscus tears, osteochondral defects, etc...Diagnosis 1st, then get the right treatment.

^^^ This,

While on ship PF type of ailments are common because Sailors are always climbing "ladders" stairs using the certain parts of their feet. This causes the some muscles to strengthen and pull the patella to one side or the other. Symptomatic treatment for pain and swelling and a proper exercise regiment usually helped.

Just to re-inforce what most people have been saying and your own experiences with PT: I think most of us who work out have knee pain on and off of varying types, now and then. Mostly I've found that it's due to a lack of strength, more than anything else. As someone mentioned above, never skip leg day. I'm nearing 40 and about 5 years ago I got serious about working leg routines into my workout: squats lunges etc. The result is that I've got less leg and knee pain than I ever have had in my entire life. Meanwhile I had various doctors telling me to avoid leg workouts.

So once your knees are feeling good, get into leg routines. Strong muscles = less pain. Also if you even get a twinge in your knee after a workout, take 3-4 ibuprofen right away to stop the swelling before it starts. That swelling is what leads to irritation and more swelling, etc. Vicious cycle, basically.