• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Knee problems and ROTC/MEPS

ecdbcd

Private
Minuteman
Anyone here gone through ROTC with pre-existing knee conditions?

I'm going into Army ROTC as an alternate entry this coming semester, and this past Saturday dislocated my right Patella and tore my MCL. From what I understand, MEPS shouldn't be a problem if I can recover beforehand, though MCL/Patella injuries can take 4-10 weeks to heal, so i'll be cutting it close.

I'm looking for some advice on recovery/ physical therapy methods and any other info folks might have.

Re: Knee problems and ROTC/MEPS

Go online and Look up Bill Star. The man is well know in the body building community. The majority of his workouts are to rehabilitate knees and shoulders. I'm sure you will have to hunt for his stuff but do what he says and you will get better and stronger.

Is your MEPS visit some type of pre-commission accession medical check up?

In addition, how anal is your ROTC command when it comes to waivers?

(and what exactly does "alternate" mean? That you're a 4 year scholarship alternate, or an alternate to even enroll at all?)

I'd say you need to sit down with your ROTC cadre and have an honest conversation with them about your knee. You should not be gutting through an injury before you get too involved with the military. Trust me, if it's bad now, it's going to get much worse when you're rucking on it constantly.

Yes,
The MEPS visit is just a pre-commission medical for ROTC. Alternate entry in this case means a non-scholarship, two year advanced program commission.

Running and hiking give me no issues with me knees, but the patellar dislocation occurs with twisting motions. From what i've read, the ligaments can heal, but generally aren't ever 100%, non-surgically, anyway. I need to work on strengthening my knees and "evening out" lower leg balance, as I have huge quads from years of cycling and tight calves, but little knee integrity.

ZL,
Thank you for the advice. I've spoken with the cadre, and the consensus was to try and get 100% before MEPS. I certainly don't want to PT every day with a chance of knees going FUBAR, because serving is something i've wanted for a very long time. I'll find out on Tuesday what the doc thinks about the MRI.

I had two knee surgeries while in high school and then went to MEPS for ROTC/SMP. I had torn my meniscus twice, and the second time I had also messed up some tendons in the back of my knee. I had several years between the last surgery and going to MEPS, during which I played a couple seasons of varsity sports. I did not have to get a waiver. I didn't have any limitations in movement on the knee, so it was decided that I was healthy and fit for service.

Talk to the Cadre and tell them the situation. There are many different ways that you can hold back for a semester or a year and then still finish up on time. It won't hurt you in the long run.

Burnsie,
Thanks for the input. As long as the recovery goes well, I believe things will work out just fine. I do think it will take some time strength training to ensure it doesn't happen again, which is common with patellar dislocations/ligament injuries.