• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Knight SR-15 LPR Mod 2 accuracy expectations

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
Hi,

I searched the forums and found some threads, but they are several years old and things may change. Apologies if I missed something obvious.

I have a Knight LPR mod 2 and was wondering what a reasonable accuracy expectation was. I am struggling with 1.5-2 moa groups using Black Hills and Norma 77gr match ammo as well as Prime 75 gr match. I can get some sub-moa groups with Federal GMM 77gr. but the gun is inconsistent. I would assume this is me (and it may be) but I have had other people shoot it and get similar results.

Are these 1.5-2 moa guns or should I be worried something is amiss?

Edit: I am using a Minox 1-8 scope.

Last edited:
I don't have a MOD 2 version LPR, but I do have a MOD 1 with a heavier Kreiger barrel & it will do 10 shots right at 1 MOA.

I did change to a Geiselle trigger as the KAC was a tad heavy, & my gun has a 4-14x optic.

Call KAC & ask what they expect, but shooting small groups with an AR is not the same as with a bolt gun.

MM

Reactions: TacosGigante
It should be MOA/sub-MOA capable. However, it does seem like LPRs can be a bit ammo sensitive.

It sounds like the FGMM 77 gr may be a good choice. Do you reload? If not, I’d try grabbing a few other various boxes of high quality ammo (if you can find some right now) and run it though to see what it likes best.

I don’t think there is a “one ammo fits all” type of answer.

Reactions: BoldCorrections
LPR should be <1moa at least with quality ammo, and it should be consistent. Try a higher mag optic, and a secure shooting position (take yourself out of it as much as possible). If it doesn't work out, contact KAC they will take care of it if it is a rifle issue.

I suggest trying some more brands of ammo before thinking anything is amiss.
Some Hornady 75gr, and some 69gr SMK / TMK.

I have one barrel ( different manufacturer ) that flat out hated every factory 77gr load I fired through it.

Until I tried Horn. 75gr factory ammo and some Creedmoor Sports 77gr SMK... CM Sports 77gr load shoots great out of it, any other 77gr factory load it still hates.

Reactions: TacosGigante
69GR SMK is the key to those rifles. They shoot it exceptionally well and I think its what they use to test fire them.

BH or FGMM69 for factory.

LPR is a 1/2 moa gun with good ammo and shooter. Those are Krieger Barrels in there.

If you need black hills match I know a source who has a few dozen cases of Reman and New in stock. Located in Oregon. I saw he had a few cases of rex box 69gr left.

Hi,

I searched the forums and found some threads, but they are several years old and things may change. Apologies if I missed something obvious.

I have a Knight LPR mod 2 and was wondering what a reasonable accuracy expectation was. I am struggling with 1.5-2 moa groups using Black Hills and Norma 77gr match ammo as well as Prime 75 gr match. I can get some sub-moa groups with Federal GMM 77gr. but the gun is inconsistent. I would assume this is me (and it may be) but I have had other people shoot it and get similar results.

Are these 1.5-2 moa guns or should I be worried something is amiss?

Edit: I am using a Minox 1-8 scope.

do you have better grouping with other gas guns and did you use a bag? Post a pic of your shooting

69GR SMK is the key to those rifles. They shoot it exceptionally well and I think its what they use to test fire them.

BH or FGMM69 for factory.

LPR is a 1/2 moa gun with good ammo and shooter. Those are Krieger Barrels in there.
KAC makes their cut rifled barrels in-house now. Matter of fact, the guy who makes em is a member here @__JR__

• Wow
Reactions: deersniper
Thats not what Ive heard, directly from the guy who makes em. Mod 1 was Krieger. Mod 2 uses in-house produced cut rifled barrels

KAC does not advertise that the barrel on MOD 2's is a Kreiger as they did with MOD 1; I've never seen 100% confirmation either way on the MOD 2's, but not just coming out & saying it's a Kreiger makes me wonder.

MM

KAC does not advertise that the barrel on MOD 2's is a Kreiger as they did with MOD 1; I've never seen 100% confirmation either way on the MOD 2's, but not just coming out & saying it's a Kreiger makes me wonder.

MM
Exactly, it used to specifically say it was a Krieger, now it dont.

But dont take my word for it if you think Im lying, as I said the dude who makes barrels for KAC is a member here LOL.

I own a mod 2 and the barrel is stamped Krieger

EDIT: it is stamped KBI

Last edited:
The Kreiger Barrels are stamped KBI if not mistaken, at least the ones I’ve seen on the Mod 2 LPR.

According to Jack they don’t advertise them as Krieger so they have the option of making barrels in house, but as of that post all of the barrels to date used Krieger blanks.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
Not all Mod2 LPRs have Krieger barrels.

As noted, the Mod2s with a Krieger-sourced barrel are stamped “KBI”. The ones with in-house KAC cut-rifled barrels do not have this marking.

I’ve had both versions of the Mod2 LPR as well as a Mod1 LPR.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
Mod2 with a Krieger “KBI” barrel

Attachments

• 78523EBF-AAE4-490F-862D-6EF0C465F510.jpeg
    78523EBF-AAE4-490F-862D-6EF0C465F510.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 215
Same location on another Mod2 LPR with KAC-sourced barrel -

Attachments

• 7FFD5B71-1B98-4982-BCAD-3A1FFCEFA05F.jpeg
    7FFD5B71-1B98-4982-BCAD-3A1FFCEFA05F.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
I have a new mod 2 lpr coming this Friday I’ll let y’all know what its marked

Not all Mod2 LPRs have Krieger barrels.

As noted, the Mod2s with a Krieger-sourced barrel are stamped “KBI”. The ones with in-house KAC cut-rifled barrels do not have this marking.

I’ve had both versions of the Mod2 LPR as well as a Mod1 LPR.
If the KBI engrave was not existent on the LPR it's because the profile was changed to the 2.2 after the fact and just so happened to remove some of the engraving. There are no KAC in house cut rifled LPR barrels in existence. Yet. This is 100% fact.

Thanks

If the KBI engrave was not existent on the LPR it's because the profile was changed to the 2.2 after the fact and just so happened to remove some of the engraving. There are no KAC in house cut rifled LPR barrels in existence. Yet. This is 100% fact.

Thanks

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Is there any correlation to the profile change for the Mod2 and the way the upper receiver is marked?

I also noticed that my “KBI” barreled Mod2 had a stamped/engraved “LPR MOD2” text on the side of the receiver (similar time the Knight’s crest on the top) whereas my unmarked Mod2 had the more typically seen laser marked “LPR MOD2” text.

ETA: What is the difference between the original Mod2 LPR barrel profile and the 2.2?

Attachments

• 58ECADA3-DB22-47AE-86AD-A11D1ECC9E34.jpeg
    58ECADA3-DB22-47AE-86AD-A11D1ECC9E34.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 171
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Is there any correlation to the profile change for the Mod2 and the way the upper receiver is marked?

I also noticed that my “KBI” barreled Mod2 had a stamped/engraved “LPR MOD2” text on the side of the receiver (similar time the Knight’s crest on the top) whereas my unmarked Mod2 had the more typically seen laser marked “LPR MOD2” text.

ETA: What is the difference between the original Mod2 LPR barrel profile and the 2.2?
The receiver I couldn't give you an honest answer without asking our people on that side of the time clock. But the Mod2 barrel, the original/2.2 difference is a weight reduction on the rear profile. Went from straight taper to g/b shoulder to a bit lighter in the back end. That was a pretty early revision on the Mod2 bbl.

Thanks

That rifle should shoot 1/2" to 3/4", find some other ammo or let someone else shoot it. If you get similar results call KAC. Check your optic make sure its mounted properly and not moving.

I assume my factory MOD2 E3 is a factory-cut KAC barrel? No noticeable engravings I can readily see through the URX4 rail.

I’ve been getting MOA consistently, just under MOA about 1/3 of the time using Hornady 73g ELD off a standard bag, seated position. It would probably do better from a vise / sled. This is using a Razor HD Gen III 1-10x.

I assume my factory MOD2 E3 is a factory-cut KAC barrel? No noticeable engravings I can readily see through the URX4 rail.

I’ve been getting MOA consistently, just under MOA about 1/3 of the time using Hornady 73g ELD off a standard bag, seated position. It would probably do better from a vise / sled. This is using a Razor HD Gen III 1-10x.

Never assume. all LPR's out there since 2008 are not KAC factory made. All LPR bbls since 2008 are cut rifled lapped match grade.

Edited to add bc I forget not everyone lives in my train of barrelmaking thought .. The LPR barrels are made collaboratively. Which means some of the work might be performed here, and some of the work might be performed outside of here. All barrels pass thru KAC Bbl Dept, and KAC has full control of the QA involved. Highest level of match grade is met on both ends, it's a good pipe.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHorta
IMG_1938.JPG

Meaningless data for you:

LPR Mod 1 (but I doubt the performance standard is much different if at all)

Group at top left I was playing with hand pressure on the grip.

Goal was to hit the center of each 1/4 MOA dot, so distance to the center of the dot is what I am measuring.

For the sticklers, 26.42 mm = 1 MOA

Last edited:
I switched from the sopmod to the SL-S and haven’t looked back. Like it more in every way.

If it was a lightweight precision gun I’d use theLMT DMR stock.

I enjoy my sr-15 but for the price the precision being talked about for these lprs is pretty poor. Especially compared to the competition these days.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
View attachment 7381603

Meaningless data for you:

LPR Mod 1 (but I doubt the performance standard is much different if at all)

Group at top left I was playing with hand pressure on the grip.

Goal was to hit the center of each 1/4 MOA dot, so distance to the center of the dot is what I am measuring.

For the sticklers, 26.42 mm = 1 MOA

I used your 10 shots shown within the red rectangle pictured on your target below to form a 10-shot composite group using On Target TDS. Your 10-shot composite group has an extreme spread of 1.338" and a mean radius of 0.52"

kights_lpr_target_pic_001-1519024.jpg

knights_lpr_10_shot_composite_group_01_c-1519026.jpg

For comparison, the graphic below shows the level of precision that I obtained with various hand-loads using the Nosler 77 grain CC (since you were shooting the 77 grain Nosler on your above target), when fired from my precision AR-15 builds.

nosler_accuracy_circles_with_mk262_43-1519355.jpg

Last edited:
Mine shoots one hole pretty consistently. Can't remember the last time it tossed out a flyer. This is with 77 gn SMK loaded on a Dillon 1050, and a 1-8 ATACR on it. Probably could shoot better without that huge center dot.

Just to bump this, I was shooting my LPR at a KYL target today at 285 meters. The 2 inch target is about .6 moa at that distance and I made 8/9 hits. That is about how it shoots.

Reactions: TheHorta