• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

krestel vs. ???

bigjake722003

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2010
Elizabeth, WV
So rather than guessing the wind and usually being wrong I'm gonna get me a handheld "weather station". I'm thinking krestel 2500. Is this over kill, under kill or and I just wasting money with one of these

Re: krestel vs. ???

the only thing the 400 add is data storage, relative humidity and bluetooth and I cant see paying an extra $100 for that.

As LL says, get something like a 4500NV...worth the sub $300 price tag and you can use the density altitude and wind direction features.

Kestrels are worth the coin...buy it!

Kestrel is it!! And with an Android phone, it will even feed the weather to it via Bluetooth (as I just did!
grin.gif
).

I got the 4500 for christmas this year and i think its awesome. FDAC uses Density Altitude for computations and having an exact DA is nice to know information on top of everything else the kestrel offers.

I've got the Kestrel 2500. If you are going to do something go all the way. Buy the best you can afford, You will not have any regrets then. 2500 is nice but sure is nice to have the other data and features. Another thing, Ask yourself just how much are you going to use it to justify the increase in price. If you don't like it you can always sell it quick. Always get the best you can afford.

The reason LL says get the 4000 is its the oldest version that gives you density altitude, which makes things very easy.

You all going to laugh. But, I put this wind meter app into my droid and it is actaully fairly accurate at reading the wind. It reads the sound created as the wind blows over the microphone. You can adjust the sensitivity to match your wind conditions. I have a school two blocks away with a weather station. I can get online and read the wind from this weather station. I just go down to the school and fiddle with my sensitivity till it reads the correct amount. It's been pretty close to dead on since then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As LL says, get something like a 4500NV...worth the sub $300 price tag and you really can use the density altitude and wind direction features.

Kestrels are worth the coin...but it! </div></div>

This^

If making the investment in a Kestrel, do your self a favor and get one that displays DA. Assuming your intentions are long range shots. It's just another tool to help us along.

I would like to get a krestrel eventually. I haven't found an app anywhere near as well.

I love the Kestrel 4500NV for the density altitude output. I also calibrate my ABC watches to it.

I'm planning on getting a kestrel but I want the one with the atreg software which is a little out of my price range.