• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Krieger vs Bartlein

jinxx4ever

Just Cruising
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 26, 2013
    Nebraska
    how do these barrels compare to each other? I've only shot Bartlein , but was wondering about the Krieger. Thanks

I have a Kreiger .308 SS and a Bartlein .224 Carbon steel.

Love them both.

I have a new Bartlein on order and it was chosen for the ability to left hand twist and meet my desire to try that out.

You wont go wrong with either.

Have had both if both in stock im going bartlein from now on but both are great cant complain with either both shot lights out and clean fast and easy

how do these barrels compare to each other? I've only shot Bartlein , but was wondering about the Krieger. Thanks
    I'm wondering if you're asking this as an in general comparison or breaking it down into comparison of Bartlein v. Krieger 5R or 4 groove.
    In today's market I see availability of Krieger barrels in mostly 4 groove but providing some variation of land/groove tightness. For example, Krieger offers both .236 and .237 barrels in 6mm. Then, on the Bartlein side, I see offerings of 99% (or more) 5R barrels.
    In general a good Bartlein and a good Krieger will (properly tuned, chambered and fitted) will not show you any difference. That goes for both 4 groove and 5R rifling.

I have a Kreiger .308 SS and a Bartlein .224 Carbon steel.

Love them both.

I have a new Bartlein on order and it was chosen for the ability to left hand twist and meet my desire to try that out.

You wont go wrong with either.
    What is a left hand twist? Does it spin the bullet in the opposite direction?

• Haha
    Reactions: RTH1800
    I should of added I prefer Bartlein because you can get the 30cal 1-8 or 1-9 twist off the shelf rather than waiting for kreiger to make it just faster but performance wise no difference. I do believe the guys from bartlein worked at kreiger i could be wrong though

Reactions: BravoFoxtrot
    Is that ballistically significant in any way? Or just for a true lefty build?

There is a within the last 6 months post on here that discusses it.

The thing behind it is that there are no negatives and it may provide small benefits.

In addition to LH twisting Im doing a small gain twist from 9.5 to 8.75.

The one benefit I want to see if I experience it will be the rifle "twisting" in toward my cheek weld rather than away. I think that would be a benefit.

Reactions: Maggot
    I have no preference. If you need a light weight Sporter then go Bartlien. I think #5 is the smallest Krieger will go on a stainless 30 Cal for example. Also if you are into 5R or gain twist then go Bartlien. Krieger charges $30 extra for 5R.

I have Krieger on my Tactical or competition rifles. They seem to get a little harder steel and a little longer life. I guess it is all 416R so maybe that is my imagination. I have Bartlien on my hunting weight rifles.

In a tight twist you can cancel out Corioliss. If you shoot the same caliber with a switch barrel use the right hand twist for right to left and left hand twist for a left to right wind. The areo jump will increase your ballistics similar to a 200 or more fps increase. David Tubb showed this in a study he did awhile back. He had his DTR reticle in normal and in a mirror image for the left hand twist barrel mounted.
    I ran 2 Harry Pope barrels in 222 many years ago. Both were left hand twist. The advantage for me in the discipline I was shooting was that the recoil was forced into me instead of away from me for better control. I was 11-17 when I was shooting them so I cannot recall all the reasons I was told but that one I remember well.

Reactions: Maggot
    I've owned and chambered both. The best Bartlein I ever owned was a four groove 6.5 years ago. Bartlien's 5r put me on the PRS map with our team rifles in 2013, 2014 & 2015 but, personally, I prefer Krieger 4 groove. The core Bartlein crew came from Krieger. Pick one and run it, you wont be disappointed.

In a tight twist you can cancel out Corioliss. If you shoot the same caliber with a switch barrel use the right hand twist for right to left and left hand twist for a left to right wind. The areo jump will increase your ballistics similar to a 200 or more fps increase. David Tubb showed this in a study he did awhile back. He had his DTR reticle in normal and in a mirror image for the left hand twist barrel mounted.
    I ran 2 Harry Pope barrels in 222 many years ago. Both were left hand twist. The advantage for me in the discipline I was shooting was that the recoil was forced into me instead of away from me for better control. I was 11-17 when I was shooting them so I cannot recall all the reasons I was told but that one I remember well.

1583810948172.gif

Why dont I get Aero jump when I shoot my right hand twist rifle in a right to left wind? Does a left hand twist barrel need to be close by to complete the cycle as to work in harmony?

I think someone is trolling a bit. Lol

• Haha
    Reactions: davere
    I have used Krieger, Bartlein and PROOF and notice little to no difference. They are all lasers.

I think the more important question is who chambers it for you
    I've run both ,even the 4 grove they just plain shoot pick which one is in stock

Reactions: Dogsniper
    Sig Sauer instructs aero jump in their reach for 1000 class.

I kind of came to the conclusion factoring it in usually resulted in a miss.

I have had better luck looking at what the grass is doing down range and just holding accordingly.

Either way a Krieger or Bartlein will overcome coriolis and aero jump due to superior barrel characteristics.

• Haha
    Reactions: davere
    I will bring my new data book pages next week. Lots of good stuff posted in the podcast area

Got to get to my local range and lock in the doubling magnification for my capped turret second focal plane scope.

Hoping to be able to make 900 meter hits at +\- 4.5X holding 10 mils plus some air on a skull.

Buy a 4 groove Krieger, send it to Exodus Rifles then enjoy ragged hole accuracy. I’ve had Krieger’s in 6xc and 223 and both shot amazing

I like them both, but have been using almost exclusively Krieger due to the delivery times. If you need a custom contour, Krieger will get it done in roughly half the time Bartlein will. Krieger does make 5r barrels, but there is a fee associated with it. They also make 20 cal barrels for normal price, whereas Bartlein charges a fee 20 cal.

Can anyone ever tell the difference between 4 groove or 5?

I can’t. I just buy whatever is available. Either brand.

Can anyone ever tell the difference between 4 groove or 5?

I can’t. I just buy whatever is available. Either brand.

For what most of us are doing, no. Short range benchrest guys have found that the 5r doesn’t play well with their light bullets though. If you ask Bartlein which to choose, they’ll recommend along those same lines.

Left hand or right hand ? I don't know but if I see you in my scope I'm probably going to push your wig off your head...

Krieger 4 G is all I use but what would I know ?

Mike R.
    [/QUOTE
    Exactly and groups from your build’s speak for there selves,
    Gradous also prefers Krieger 4g
    I believe they will all shoot chambered well but when you have certain barrels that just shoot ridiculously good, it’s hard to sway from that.

You misspelled Trolliolis lmao

Either, chambered correctly, will shoot at the same level.

I'm in the LHGT crowd, so have been using Bartlein lately.

Reactions: Steel head
    I own 1 Krieger and 3 Bartlein barrels. All of them shoot exceptional groups. My next replacement barrel/build will be another Krieger. The only reason I will go this route is in my experience that barrel has shot more rounds and has continued to maintain an extremely high level of precision. I have spoken to a few people that work for Krieger they use a proprietary steel they call LW-50. LW-50 is much harder steel than 416R & 416 SS. Machinist/gunsmiths should understand this before they begin the work spinning one up. The one downside I have experienced is that if you do not wipe it down and apply a good oil to it surface, rust may appear. I never experienced this with the Bartlein's I own and I like to pride myself in a little TLC after each trip out shooting. YMMV
    I have no preference. If you need a light weight Sporter then go Bartlien. I think #5 is the smallest Krieger will go on a stainless 30 Cal for example. Also if you are into 5R or gain twist then go Bartlien. Krieger charges $30 extra for 5R.

I have Krieger on my Tactical or competition rifles. They seem to get a little harder steel and a little longer life. I guess it is all 416R so maybe that is my imagination. I have Bartlien on my hunting weight rifles.

:cool:

Last edited:
    Reactions: MarinePMI
    I did not know LW50 was used by other barrel makers like Krieger. Very interestin, as I thought it was exclusive to Lothar Walther. I use LW50 in my gas gun barrels and have Lothar Walther spin them up. Every one of them has been awesome.

I own 1 Krieger and 3 Bartlein barrels. All of them shoot exceptional groups. My next replacement barrel/build will be another Krieger. The only reason I will go this route is in my experience that barrel has shot more rounds and has continued to maintain an extremely high level of precision. I have spoken to a few people that work for Krieger they use a proprietary steel they call LW-50. LW-50 is much harder steel than 416R & 416 SS. Machinist/gunsmiths should understand this before they begin the work spinning one up. The one downside I have experienced is that if you do not wipe it down and apply a good oil to it surface, rust may appear. I never experienced this with the Bartlein's I own and I like to pride myself in a little TLC after each trip out shooting. YMMV

:cool:

The Krieger catalog states they use 416R.

I did not know LW50 was used by other barrel makers like Krieger. Very interestin, as I thought it was exclusive to Lothar Walther. I use LW50 in my gas gun barrels and have Lothar Walther spin them up. Every one of them has been awesome.

Ah Shoot! (Not the actual word I really used...) You are correct! It is In-fact a Lothar Walther barrel that uses LW-50 steel for their blanks. I'd like to say I was suffering from Crovid 19 (about 8 or so the 12oz kind) but I just brain farted!!! Sorry Guys.

Had a long conversation with Tim North, owner of Broughton barrels recently. He’s shut the doors for good unfortunately. I thought it interesting that he recommended Krieger and Pacnor for my future purchases. Yes, he knows pacnor burned, but they’ll be back.

Can we throw Proof Research SS barrels into this mix? How do they stack up to Bartlein?

I've shot Krieger, Bartlein, Lothar Walther, Benchmark, Hawk Hill, K&P, Green Mountain, and a Proof stainless in 6 Dasher, 6.5 Creedmoor, 308, 6XC, 25 Creedmoor, 6 Creedmoor, 300WM, 338LM, etc. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between any of them. They all shot remarkably well, most likely because whomever chambered them did a great job. The only difference I've noticed is the button rifled barrels haven't lasted as long as the cut rifled ones, but even the buttons shot tiny little groups and the life difference wasn't more than 200, from what I remember. All my 6 Creedmoor barrels have been buttons because their life expectancy is short to begin with, so I don't bother spending the extra $200 or so on a cut rifled barrel that'll only last maybe an extra 100 rounds

Last edited:
    I've shot Krieger, Bartlein, Lothar Walther, Benchmark, Hawk Hill, K&P, Green Mountain, and a Proof stainless in 6 Dasher, 6.5 Creedmoor, 308, 6XC, 25 Creedmoor, 6 Creedmoor, 300WM, 338LM, etc. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between any of them. They all shot remarkably well, most likely because whomever chambered them did a great job. The only difference I've noticed is the button rifled barrels haven't lasted as long as the cut rifled ones, but even the buttons shot tiny little groups and the life difference wasn't more than 200, from what I remember. All my 6 Creedmoor barrels have been buttons because their life expectancy is short to begin with, so I don't bother spending the extra $200 or so on a cut rifled barrel that'll only last maybe an extra 100 rounds

interesting. Makes sense. I only have experience with Bartlein and Proof. I have a Bartlein on my hunting rifle in a 7mm mag, but haven’t shot that one out yet. It gets very little use. But I’ve had 3 barrels fitted to my 6CM. All have been Proof. Like you said, I’ve been impressed with the groups every time so I just never changed. Never had the need.