• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Krylon Magic

Re: Krylon Magic

The whole thing is a DYI affair. Started life as a heavy duty photgraphic tripod I got for free from a guy I bought a camp stove from (it was missing the mounting stud for a camera). The actual gun rest is 1/8 inch sheet metal that after some modding (two 90 desgree bends to form channel) is attached with JB Weld. The sheet metal is lined with foam from an old camping sleeping pad. The rifle is balanced on the rest in the pic. However, I scavanged the screw portions of two old C clamps to create clamp for it. Not a great idea as it didn't hold up to recoil well. Add a little Krylon and there ya go. All together I have about $25 or so in it.

As an old guy (just passed 50) I don't climb treestands anymore, so I use it for fixed place hunting. It'll actually adjust flat enough for prone shooting. But it looks like a giant spider. Thus far about a half dozen deer have met their maker through it's use. Wouldn't recommend it as a pack item though. It weighs about 5-6 lbs. But I haul all my stuff to my deer hide in the Southern MO Ozarks with an ATV so it's not an issue for me.

Looks sturdy, and nice paint.

P.S. You are not an old guy yet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dougie308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As an old guy (just passed 50) </div></div>

50 is NOT old! It is mid-life!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DCook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you say it didn't hold up to well to recoil what happened? Just curious

Looks good to me </div></div>

The clamps didn't hold the rifle in place very well.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">That</span> is a <span style="font-weight: bold">gorgeous</span> rifle, setup <span style="font-weight: bold">and</span> paint</span>!!!
wink.gif

Tony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rszkutak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice paint job, i love using the random shapes as opposed to the new digital cammo stuff. </div></div>

Thanks for all of the kind comments.

I liked the randow shapes as well. I have walked passed it a couple of times when sitting in the woods after getting up to tag a deer and coming back to my ground stand (river bottom. Lots of dead wood and dry mud covered brush). Of course I lose my car keys every other day too.