• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kudos to Long Rifles Inc. for fixing my broken FN-SPR bolt knob

m1match

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2003
Western US
In my last match, I'm shooting a prone stage, I fire a shot go to run the bolt and ???? the bolt knob is lying on the ground. I have a FN-SPR custom that AJ Brown built and it is a tack driver but I got it with the original bolt knob. I had a local gunsmith install a tactical bolt knob by cutting the original knob off, drilling a hole in the stem of the bolt handle, then attaching a stem threaded for the tactical bolt knob. The stem had a center post that went in the hole drilled in the bolt handle and used a small TIG weld to hold the two pieces together. The TIG weld was too small and shallow to have enough strength to hold together and the weld broke so the bolt knob fell off.

LRI fixed it installing a longer center post, drilling the hole in the handle deeper, and silver soldering the two pieces together. They said that silver solder has a strength of 1500 psi and it should hold together. The only other way to fix would be to replace the whole handle and Win 70 bolt handles are very hard to find. If LRI had done the original install, they would have machined the original knob down to a round threaded stem instead of cutting it off, but they said most gunsmiths don’t have the fixtures and machinery to do that.

Including the shipping to Sturgis, SD there and back, it took 2-1/2 weeks for the repair including cerakoting the bolt and the pricing was reasonable. I'd consider that great service and their workmanship looks outstanding. Here's a picture of the repaired bolt.

IMG_2354.jpg