• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

L3i New "Stinger" Barreled action

We have two tenon designs we are testing.

Attachments

• IMG_2657.jpeg
    IMG_2657.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2656.jpeg
    IMG_2656.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 49
Also a teaser for the current action design
Really liking the full-sized ejection port (it's a pain to single load my Bergara), and the straightforward, classy aesthetic. I would be very interested in a 1/2-28 threaded, 24" MTU contour. Faster twist would be neat too, I'm playing with a 1:12 right now and so far it's pretty promising. Not big on coned breeches, but not super opinionated on them either.

Reactions: Mechdesigner
The widened extractor cuts seem like a no-brainer to me, these cuts are always the reason people say a Vudoo can't take prefits. I always thought they could just be cut wider, or eliminated entirely with a coned breech a la RimX, with no compromise in function, but I also don't make actions or cut barrels.

Either way, glad to see the innovation! Would be interested in the barrel torque specs and a review of bolt stripping/cleaning/adjustment when the design locks in.

PS: +1 vote for offering a threaded version, even at a $100 markup, but I also understand that SKU minimization is important.

IMG_0314.png

Might be something to those coned breeches, I stole this pic from a thread over on RFC. Barrel is from the new Springfield 2020, I’ve got one and have been very impressed with how it has held up thus far. I just assumed the edge would wear or get damaged during high round counts, but so far it’s been fine.
If this new rifle is adjusted to feed correctly, with little chance for bubba to screw something up, I’m sure it’ll sell.

The cone breach as I’m sure you know can be dinged when dry fired. This design I wouldn’t even consider unless it’s a benchrest rifle with a shooter that is careful. The top design imo is ideal or a V style breach can be done like below. I’ve done many V breaches and it has always been my favorite.

Attachments

• IMG_0059.jpeg
    IMG_0059.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 46
L3i released their new barreled action at Shot Show. Anyone have any more info?

From their Site:
  • One Piece Rear Bolt Threaded 5/16-18 for Interchangeable Bolt Knobs
Went back to reread the finer details and just noticed this - why 5/16-18 instead of 5/16-24?
Sporter profile plus threaded. You'll sell plenty of those as well.
I'd sure buy one. Especially if it was compatible with standard Remington 700 bases and had a Remington-style bolt handle. Would love to build a really nice rimfire sporter.
The Lithgow LA101 has had a similar style breach face since its inception:

View attachment 8350668
Really like this design, can't think of any real downsides to it.

Is it Fall 2024 yet? When can I place my order? :D

Reactions: Mark_Dorman
Went back to reread the finer details and just noticed this - why 5/16-18 instead of 5/16-24?
It is 5/16-24 that was a mistake in the spec sheet!

I'd sure buy one. Especially if it was compatible with standard Remington 700 bases and had a Remington-style bolt handle. Would love to build a really nice rimfire sporter.
It has a full 1.350 diameter body so it cant use standard Rem 700 bases. It is currently compatible with Stiller/Savage pattern bases.

Really like this design, can't think of any real downsides to it.

I like it too, we might pursue this route

Is it Fall 2024 yet? When can I place my order? :D

Still looking at Fall, getting all the manufacturing lined out still!

Reactions: Pomyluy
It is 5/16-24 that was a mistake in the spec sheet! Awesome!

It has a full 1.350 diameter body so it cant use standard Rem 700 bases. It is currently compatible with Stiller/Savage pattern bases.
Gotcha, so (thinking specifically about a potential sporter) these bases would likely work? Received holes 6-48 or (preferably) 8-40?

If additional barrel contours are a long ways off, I'd be down to purchase a standalone action or two if you have enough capacity to offer those as well.

Gotcha, so (thinking specifically about a potential sporter) these bases would likely work? Received holes 6-48 or (preferably) 8-40?

If additional barrel contours are a long ways off, I'd be down to purchase a standalone action or two if you have enough capacity to offer those as well.

The base holes are 8-40 with 1/8” dowel pins as well. We are talking about selling actions by themselves as well. Our main concern is rifles built off of them with the excessively tight chambers that cause reliability issues and that effecting the reputation of our action, this is why many other rimfire actions are not available as just an action.

Reactions: Pomyluy
Some years ago when i dabled in a rimfire action design , i used a breech face insert , which enables you to use prefits with simple cone breech while protecting the chamber rim from the firing pin damage. If you want easy use of prefit barrels i would consider using a this kind of a cone insert

You can index it with a set screw or a pin could even be front scope base screw or pin

In modern positional single shoot rimifres these breech inserts are now even larger ,some basically forming near whole .22lr chamber , and barrel only having a freebore cut.

*Note in regards to dimensions this was for a single shot action , with tenon smaller than rem700 as folk in BR long ago figured out you do not want a tennon larger than the typical barrel diameter in rimfires as not to choke the barrel at the chamber end.
2024-02-19_17h36_27.png

insert 002.jpg

cg71 009.jpg

Last edited:
Protecting the chamber edge on a conical breech from dry fire damage is important for a field comp rifle, we are currently using a partially shielded cone with success however the machining is more labor intensive. I like the insert idea for simplicity of manufacturing!

Attachments

• IMG_2710.jpeg
    IMG_2710.jpeg
    507.1 KB · Views: 37
Protecting the chamber edge on a conical breech from dry fire damage is important for a field comp rifle, we are currently using a partially shielded cone with success however the machining is more labor intensive. I like the insert idea for simplicity of manufacturing!
That is the whole idea Inserts are cheap and easy to make vs non lathe turned part to the breech , can also be hardened steel vs barrel steel that is basically in annealed state

Mockup . the insert is shouldered and tightened with the barrel , it just needs an indexing point somewhere
insert 005.jpg

Last edited: