• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LABRADAR issues

Multi-Tool

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2013
I have been having great difficulty getting my LABRADAR to track projectiles. I regularly get acquisition errors. I have been shooting a .308 Rem 700, on a range that has targets at 200, 300, and 600 yards. I am using an external USB power supply (no batteries). I emailed Labradar about it and followed their suggestions to sight the unit using a drinking straw and reviewed my settings with them. I still couldn't get it to track more than 2 or 3 shots out of several fired in a given session and I called them while I was at the range to see if they could help. I sent the unit back to them and they reported that they ran 10 rounds of .223 past it with no problems and they verified the numbers with a separate Labradar. Today I took it out again. This time, I was on a 100 yard range. I put it on a tripod and used a carpentry square to sight it. The range attendant told me it was at the same elevation as the targets. I tried it with the muzzle with about a 12" offset, a shorter 6" offset. I even moved the muzzle within about 3" of the unit. I took shots with the muzzle behind the Labradar, even with the muzzle and about 4" in front. Out of 22 shots, it tracked 2 or 3.

About the only other things I can think of is that my range uses an electronic target system or perhaps the structural steel is causing issues. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks!

If running a muzzle brake, pull it back further away from the muzzle. I generally place mine aprox at the middle or end of the forend, depending on barrel length and forend length when using a brake, never had a problem since

Reactions: jmw
No, I am not running a muzzle brake and no suppressor either.

If running a muzzle brake, pull it back further away from the muzzle. I generally place mine aprox at the middle or end of the forend, depending on barrel length and forend length when using a brake, never had a problem since

“Structural steel”

???

If there is baffling or something out there in front of the radar that the radar is is hitting them it can’t know the difference between its target and everything else interfering with it.

Reactions: memilanuk
Try moving it away not closer.

I set mine 18” at 45* angle towards the rear from the muzzle with hunting rifles without brakes. Seems to work well with the only braked rifle I own as well. Though I move forward a bit (not closer)to try to get in front of the blast from the brake.

If I crowd the muzzle during load development I start having trouble as the blast increases with the heavier charges as the radar gets rocked by it.

Reactions: memilanuk
^ this

At my local range, I normally don't have too much of a problem getting everything to work right.

But one bay... the right hand bench is right along the wall of concrete ecology blocks on that side. If I set up the LR on the right side of that bench, I can't get $hit for readings. Any where else on any other bench, no problems.

Like so. Notice how the radar is even with the bipod.

(Was laying on the left side of a permanent bench, the pole caused a couple intermittent missed captures, so I swapped to right side of the bench)

Attachments

• 0B0CA298-1CCB-4267-85F0-832EB0496D94.jpeg
    0B0CA298-1CCB-4267-85F0-832EB0496D94.jpeg
    603.4 KB · Views: 182
The ranges that I have been shooting on are covered with an overhang, so I try to stay away from the supports, but I am wondering if there are still issues. Below is a link to some photos that should clarify the range design.

If other shooters near by are firing, it could be triggering the radar to take a reading. The radar then is not able to take another reading for a few seconds, i dunno like 2-3 seconds. If you fire during that 3 second period, the radar will not pick up your shot. You could try to lower the sensitivity and distance of the trigger.

Today, I was by myself for quite a while, so I don’t think it was picking up shots from others. Also, it was clear that the Labradar was hearing the shot, it just wasn’t able to acquire and track it.

Hmmm, that sucks.

Maybe take the radar to an outdoor range with no structure or electronics that might cause any interference, to rule that out. Otherwise, id try to have the company send you a new radar.

A cluttered range will definitely increase acquisition errors. Try using the reduced-power setting - it's covered in the manual.

Mine will NOT work with overhead baffles.
But it has NEVER failed on a clear range

I thought your post was interesting - I have had some similar issues as the OP - failure to read some shots. I bought the JKL inertia trigger - it works well on guns that have a decent amount of recoil - on my small caliber suppressed or braked guns it's hit or miss. Adjusted sensitivities and positioning ( which shouldn't matter with the inertia trigger ) - even used a small laser to insure it was pointed directly at the target - still would drop shots 50% or > of the time.

So your post got me to thinking. I took a couple of the small caliber PD killers that I run suppressed but have had issues getting the shots to record out in the open ( no roof overhang ) and - BOOM - 99.9% recorded ( dropped 1 - who knows why ). I don't know why - but your theory seems to have some initial merit.

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll report my continued results.

I thought your post was interesting - I have had some similar issues as the OP - failure to read some shots. I bought the JKL inertia trigger - it works well on guns that have a decent amount of recoil - on my small caliber suppressed or braked guns it's hit or miss. Adjusted sensitivities and positioning ( which shouldn't matter with the inertia trigger ) - even used a small laser to insure it was pointed directly at the target - still would drop shots 50% or > of the time.

So your post got me to thinking. I took a couple of the small caliber PD killers that I run suppressed but have had issues getting the shots to record out in the open ( no roof overhang ) and - BOOM - 99.9% recorded ( dropped 1 - who knows why ). I don't know why - but your theory seems to have some initial merit.

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll report my continued results.

Try low power mode. If you were using an SD card examine the CSV files in the TRK folder. It gives the signal to noise ratio (SNR) for each shot for as long as it could track the shot. Compare the bad sessions to the good ones.

Reactions: Formosan
"Try low power mode. If you were using an SD card examine the CSV files in the TRK folder. It gives the signal to noise ratio (SNR) for each shot for as long as it could track the shot. Compare the bad sessions to the good ones."

Good suggestions. Thanks. (y)

My LabRadar was a tremendous pain in the ass, trying to get it to work with TBAC suppressors was difficult. A JKL trigger changed everything- the LR works perfectly in all conditions, with all my calibers from .223 to 300 RUM. I use the magnet and rail adapters. Also, with the JKL plugged into the LR, shots from other rifles are now a non-issue. Staying current on LR firmware updates has also helped.
FB46D444-AD8C-4326-99CE-DBE2DE9558A2.jpeg

Reactions: TankFrank
My LabRadar was a tremendous pain in the ass, trying to get it to work with TBAC suppressors was difficult. A JKL trigger changed everything- the LR works perfectly in all conditions, with all my calibers from .223 to 300 RUM. I use the magnet and rail adapters. Also, with the JKL plugged into the LR, shots from other rifles are now a non-issue. Staying current on LR firmware updates has also helped.
View attachment 7452199
I just ordered one. I hope it works.. thank you!

Reactions: x1jett
Trick I found that worked when I had issues was to get a magnetospeed. All the issues cleared right up

I don’t chrono too often, so it’s quicker with magneto than screwing with Labradar.
Sigh...No, it isn’t.

Reactions: spife7980