• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Labradar trigger from JKL Precision

doninreno

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2018
Has anyone tried this thing? Does it work? and HOW does it work? I ordered one after an acquaintance showed me one---I got mine in the mail today with no nothing else---just the unit and a cord, a business card and an invoice-----no instructions, no specs, no troubleshooting info/guide--nothing!! I think I know kinda how it should work, but wouldn't it be nice have a description of how and why, etc. so you could tell for sure if it is doing what it is supposed to do??? Or am I just expecting too much when I buy a device/product?

EDIT---OK....after asking, I got this from the JKL folks just now (It WAS a prety fast response time!!)..it is some help---better than just "HUH?". Here is what they said: The unit plugs into the headphone jack on the labradar and you can adjust the sensitivity on the unit as you see fit. I would try 3-4 to start with. Use the included Velcro to attach to your rifle. Closer to the action is better then use the labradar as before. When armed the recoil will trigger the unit.

Last edited:
They ripped off a member of this site who came up with the idea and sells them privately. Very poor form.

Reactions: drn1234
Has anyone tried this thing? Does it work? and HOW does it work? I ordered one after an acquaintance showed me one---I got mine in the mail today with no nothing else---just the unit and a cord, a business card and an invoice-----no instructions, no specs, no troubleshooting info/guide--nothing!! I think I know kinda how it should work, but wouldn't it be nice have a description of how and why, etc. so you could tell for sure if it is doing what it is supposed to do??? Or am I just expecting too much when I buy a device/product?

EDIT---OK....after asking, I got this from the JKL folks just now (It WAS a prety fast response time!!)..it is some help---better than just "HUH?". Here is what they said: The unit plugs into the headphone jack on the labradar and you can adjust the sensitivity on the unit as you see fit. I would try 3-4 to start with. Use the included Velcro to attach to your rifle. Closer to the action is better then use the labradar as before. When armed the recoil will trigger the unit.

Let us know how well it works. My labradar is being pretty picky with 105 hybrids.

I've had real good luck with the Labradar...does it all pretty well, is quick and easy to set up with no hassle at the firing line and is easy to use once you get a little ways up the "learning curve". I use the microphone setup with my suppressed rifles, but figured I'd try this JKL thing to do the triggering (sounds like it may be easier to use and more reliable/not so sensitive to positioning) and it now sounds like I maybe didn't check out the "field" well enough. In any case, I'll try to put a post on here as sort of a "REVIEW" of how it works after I get out to the range and try it. BTW, when JKL wrote to me that it goes in the "HEADPHONE" jack---there is NO SUCH THING on the Labradar....at least not that I've noticed. The guy that wrote that actually meant to say "MICROPHONE" jack, which the Labradar DOES have....I kinda figured that as the same type of jack is used in both applications very often, but asked them anyway since I thought I had a pretty good handle on the Labradar but had never heard of/seen/ needed/read about a "HEADPHONE" jack on it.

They ripped off a member of this site who came up with the idea and sells them privately. Very poor form.
Did they rip him off or did he fail to file a patent? While I agree in principal he has an obligation to protect his design. Doesn’t make it right ethically but even he said it, the free market always finds a way.

Did they rip him off or did he fail to file a patent? While I agree in principal he has an obligation to protect his design. Doesn’t make it right ethically but even he said it, the free market always finds a way.

Yeah....business ethics and morals really have gone out the door nowadays! But, as the previous poster points out, this is the way it is NOW!! If a person has a good idea, he/she needs to PROTECT it!

I didn’t say it was illegal. I said it was poor form (unethical).

Reactions: Aescobar17
Can you point me to the originator of the idea. i would rather buy from him.

I didn’t say illegal either.

You certainly didn’t. That wouldn’t have made any sense as it pertains to the rest of your post. Then your point? We both agree it was unethical?

Last edited:
OK...I DID get a chance to use the JKL version of the trigger with the pickup/sensor Velcored to my suppressed rifle today...fired 8 shots and it triggered every time and it all seems to work good. Only glitch was that it did activate the Labradar a couple of times when I operated the bolt and that resulted in a big fat "0" fps and a track fail message. I had the Labradar set on "3" sensitvity, so next time I'll run it one nothch less sensitive and see what I get. BTW, sounds like I should have bought from NOT JKL, but I didn't know any better back when I ordered it! My bad!

Reactions: Sig Marine
OK...I DID get a chance to use the JKL version of the trigger with the pickup/sensor Velcored to my suppressed rifle today...fired 8 shots and it triggered every time and it all seems to work good. Only glitch was that it did activate the Labradar a couple of times when I operated the bolt and that resulted in a big fat "0" fps and a track fail message. I had the Labradar set on "3" sensitvity, so next time I'll run it one nothch less sensitive and see what I get. BTW, sounds like I should have bought from NOT JKL, but I didn't know any better back when I ordered it! My bad!

Try mounting it to the rifle farther away from the bolt. It's not my experience to receive a "0 fps" reading. Instead I get a "...failed to track..." message. You can clear it by pressing the Enter (check-mark) button, but you really don't have to. As long as the orange Armed light is still on you can proceed and it will track the next shot.

Try mounting it to the rifle farther away from the bolt. It's not my experience to receive a "0 fps" reading. Instead I get a "...failed to track..." message. You can clear it by pressing the Enter (check-mark) button, but you really don't have to. As long as the orange Armed light is still on you can proceed and it will track the next shot.

Yeah, now I can see where farther away from the bolt might be better but the advice I was given was to put it ON the action if possible and that is where I stuck it---left side of the action. Maybe I misled when I mentioned both messages...they were at different times and NOT caused by the same action and were NOT shown simultaneously. And if you don't DELETE the mis-info detection that got recorded as a shot it will screw up the average speed and SD and make you data worthless as I found out!

Yeah, now I can see where farther away from the bolt might be better but the advice I was given was to put it ON the action if possible and that is where I stuck it---left side of the action. Maybe I misled when I mentioned both messages...they were at different times and NOT caused by the same action and were NOT shown simultaneously. And if you don't DELETE the mis-info detection that got recorded as a shot it will screw up the average speed and SD and make you data worthless as I found out!

If that happens, all you have to do is when youre finished shooting, delete those bogus shots and it removes them from the sequence, thus giving u true data.

Yeah, well, I've had plenty of "improvements" or inventions stolen.

I used to work for Hewlett-Packard.

It always annoyed me that there was no physical cue to find the HOME keys on any keyboard. (F & J)

So I used to put those 3 ring binder reinforcement "O" rings on the home keys.

I did not stop for even a moment to consider how significant this insight was?

I moved to our Fullerton CA office, and a computer guy (we were either doing computers or electronics back then) asks me about the rings on my keyboard.

It WAS NOT SIX MONTHS LATER that HP came out with the raised bar on the home keys.

That f****r probably got a patent on my invention. Ho hum. I still retired with lots of bucks in the bank.

There are several other things I invented and didn't get rich on, because I was clueless?

You now know they guy who invented raised widgets on home keys.

:-(

Yes, and that's exactly what the others are using for their recoil based triggers. Very old, but reliable technology. They can be found on Amazon as well for less than $1

do you need any additional circuitry to protect the labradar or smooth out the signal etc?

I’ll throw a multimeter on the labradar terminals and wire it up!
I had to use an oscilloscope when I went down this rabbit hole. The triggering in VERY fast. I don't recall if the switch is NO or NC, but it is pretty obvious when you get into it. Good luck!

Does the inventor of the original have a website?
I need one of these

HI Guys
Does anybody know how to wire up one if I get a Vibration Sensor off Amazon?
I would buy one from Anybody in the states but both JKL and wildmanpiet will not send one to the UK.
Cheers

Question is what trigger is better? Id rather pay Greg since he was the founder. Any thoughts?
Pretty sure no difference in function. Small (sorta minor) detail though is the Piet version now comes with a velcro strap as well as the velcro adhesive pads. Gives you a little bit more flexibility in mounting positions of the trigger without having to rig up your own elastic cordage. It's a convenience thing.

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
Got one of the JKL's and there is another post on this subject about stealing the idea. Not true in my opinion as the circuit boards are out there at amazon and ebay. The tech for this is used in various applications, not just shooting. See this post:
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/labradar-accessories.7047653/
#23. What I like about the JKL is the pic. attachment.
Since I got this device, I've not missed one recording.