• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Laid the smack down on a 300 pound Saskatchewan whitetail

308winchester

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
Awesome hunt
West side of province near paradise hill, SK

11 point
(I havent scored the deer) I dont live by a 3 digit number and this was a great adventure, too many people base "success" on the "score"
The "score" was the hunt, harvest, and everything in between for me as this was my first big hunting trip
Anyway he was a 300 pound TOAD
Shot broadside with Barnes 130 TTSX (MV 3025) through both lungs out of my Gradous 308 and he ran about 40 yards
(I still havent recovered one of these bullets, they always exit)
71563E58-C72E-49A3-95DC-05AEFB95A9EA_zpsalsjv4s4.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nice buck and I bet it was easy to load on that quad ;).
Congrats.

0FE6ACDB-8584-4A28-8BDC-899BBACB8A6F_zpse4rmjcoo.jpg

36B18133-9CCB-48B4-A1B6-C55DF2895524_zps9qfojhri.jpg

blind
58f4afc2ba943b2ef3e35483878f40f6_zpsdc7ea080.jpg

shot at far treeline center of pic
3C529C7D-B1A9-463C-8A30-5AB0555CF151_zpslpo7bxxn.jpg

STEAM risin off them backstraps (was -10 F)
C37EF007-5538-4047-B051-C0C0192097C4_zpswnfhceys.jpg

01D991B3-9030-47BA-8E39-5EACC5BF0728_zpslrh55zz5.jpg

D8574E11-C2B5-4389-9578-6D6A7C799590_zps0w2v3idq.jpg

B5949B29-DE06-4D10-803B-95781FAC9E0B_zps6nmzwn46.jpg

PASSED on this way outside the ears young 8 point
37AB1FAD-CA45-4336-B236-629A183DE88B_zps9p8u6nwa.jpg

FROZEN RIFLE AND VX-6
817264c6-a3bd-4381-b7c8-2fa58d911eb0_zpsf926af3b.jpg

That Suzuki is scream'n with that hog on the front of it. Congrats on the hunt, the rifle, and the experience.

thanks

the outfitter told me that suzuki has previously been loaded with a similar deer on the front, 2 people on the seat, dragging a moose with someone else (person #3) riding on the moose

its a kingquad 450 fuel injection

pretty impressive

PHOTOSHOP! never happened!!

Just kidding. Outstanding deer. Honestly I think the picture of the frozen gun are about as worthy! That's what it's all about, man. Good hunt! Hope you have a freezer big enough!

I figured you were kidding. I was just pointing it it to everyone else. They've had Americans bring a .375 to kill "big Canadian whitetail"

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrightway
Pm me for any details and there are lots of details when choosing.

I heard so many hunters bitchin in Saskatoon airport about their outfitters and lack of deer. Lucky I wasn't one of them...

That young buck you passed is a MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!! I will be up there in Alberta in November 2014...and hopefully for 1-2 weeks every November after that. Question for you...did you hunt with a glove on your right hand, which I am guessing is your shooting hand? I already have all the gear but am not sure what to do about gloves. I HATE shooting in gloves and have a nice hand warmer/muff that buckles around my waste. Is that sufficient? I am assuming your hunts were all day sits? I have done that once before. Any issues? Sorry for all the questions but I have dreamed of hunting whitetails in Canada for 25+ years and am excited as hell about it.

Last edited:
Alberta is different usually. Sask we hunted box blinds with propane heaters and windows we could shut, open, or crack the windows as needed. I had a muff and disposable handwarmers with a lite glove. I used lots of disposable hand warmers for my feet also. The worst part was the quad ride to the stand in below zero weather.

Alberta is usually truck hunting and shooting over the hood from what I've heard. They don't allow baiting. Find out how you're hunting

Yeah bait is illegal in Alberta and almost all of the hunting there used to be truck hunting. Read Russell Thornberry's book about when he used to be an outfitter in Alberta. That is what he did. It's a great book but not my kind of hunting. The guys I am going with, Alberta Wilderness Guide Service hunt "cut lines" which are essentially roads that the government cut through the "bush" searching for oil. They set you up in tripods after extensive scouting. It sounds like the deer move around in groups and they have a good idea of where the deer are and where they are in the big loops that they do. There can be days of zero deer sightings and all of a sudden it turns on. The deer cross the cuts and sometimes quickly so you don't have all day to check him out and decide to shoot or not. They actually suggest that you don't bring binos. They say that if your looking at him, it better be through your scope or he may get away before you can get a shot off. Most of their clientele are repeat guys and while their opportunity rates have increased, their success rates have decreased since the same hunters who have taken 150"-160" are now holding out for 170"+. They have a few 200" bucks that hunters have shot over the years. Rattling is very effective there as well. Anyway, I am excited as hell about it. I have talked to everyone of their references and many have hunted all over Canada and say they have finally found a "home". The mass and those dark chocolate horns get me fired up.

Last edited:
Laid the smack down on a 300 pound Saskatchewan whitetail

Yeah I've heard don't bring binocs. No time to judge

I liked sask because it was over bait and for the money I wanted to maximize my chances.

Good luck!! It's cool seeing brute deer

Last edited:
Those are the biggest backstraps off a deer I have ever seen! Make 3 of the avg Arkansas deer. Nice Buck!

Nice buck! You weren't by chance hunting with a self described Pollock from New Jersey named Joe were you?