• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Landlord keeps forcing me to hide my stash

I posted the link to the law in #39. Repeating false, "somebody said", information doesn't make it fact. If all you know is some line of bullshit someone fed you with nothing to back it up, you should be open minded about learning.

Like I was when I asked for links to the information you had, before I looked up what the law actually is.

There is absolute no information when you google 'registering gunpowder'. Seems to me that if you were required to register 18 lbs of gunpowder it would be a common occurrence.

Yes, I figured I would have come across it in the almost 30 years I have been reloading but things do change.

With nothing to back it up except what someone said, sometime, somewhere...I couldn't help but remember when I was told, by more than one person, that there was a rabbit that when around laying candy eggs for me around this time a year. Was I stupid, heard what I wanted to hear or just didn't know any better than to fact check what I was told.

The city next to me has a bullshit ordinance that does not allow gunpowder at the gun shows. Enforced by the city fire department. So, my point is, there could be Federal laws or guidelines and state laws and in some cases there will be city ordinances limiting certain stores of certain goods. I have been told, by gun store clerks that they are restricted by how much smokeless powder they are allowed on the premises.

In one situation, myself knowing the guidelines about storage lockers being wood, etc. I thought it was humorous that one local store stored their powder in a friggin' gun safe...which I suppose could be considered a bomb? Or something? This is a chain with about 15 locations. BB

There "could be" a lot of things, its a pointless argument.

I tell you what, 304-616-4500 is a direct number to the NFA branch of the BATFE (I am sure they could direct you somewhere else in the branch but that is the only number I keep in my phone) call them and tell them you wish to register your 19th pound of powder and post their response.

It has already been said that State and local laws along with suggestions from various others can be different than Federal laws.

Last edited:
I've owned my house for the past 12 years, but I lived in rent houses for 20 years prior to that and never had a landlord come in and snoop through my stuff.

Studios and apartments are more prone to periodic inspections for maintenance and to keep pressure on dopers. Duplex and town house inspections are usually fewer and farther between, and landlords usually only enter house rentals when the tenant requests work done. My observation and experience from when I worked maintenance for a property management company.

It's quite obvious in your constant defense of misinformation.

Look moron, as I've said over and over now. I was simply passing along information that somebody else on this very forum found a while back. If it's wrong then so be it (I'm just the fucking messenger, moron), I'm not and haven't defended it in anyway other than to say that somebody else posted that info here about a year ago and at the time it looked legit to everybody. I'm not sure how you take that as "defending" but being that reading comprehension skills on this forum generally suck I'll chalk your inability to equate 'passing along info' to "defending" as your general inability to comprehend as you have proven already in this very thread.

Last edited:
Powder used in reloading is a propellant powder. It is NOT, in the factory container, an explosive. It's a Hazardous Material. But only in that it flammable. Put it in a cardboard box under the bed and it should not be a problem. DO NOT put it in a fastened metal box.
Or the oven.

Look moron, as I've said over and over now. I was simply passing along information that somebody else on this very forum found a while back. If it's wrong then so be it (I'm just the fucking messenger, moron), I'm not and haven't defended it in anyway other than to say that somebody else posted that info here about a year ago and at the time it looked legit to everybody. I'm not sure how you take that as "defending" but being that reading comprehension skills on this forum generally suck I'll chalk your inability to equate 'passing along info' to "defending" as your general inability to comprehend as you have proven already in this very thread.

Not checking out the sources and passing it along and continuing to do so and resorting to name calling when you are found to be passing bad info and I'm the moron, sure. Man the FUCK up, accept you were passing bad info and move the FUCK on. We all have passed on bad info at some point, a man accepts he was wrong and moves on.

You better read your lease. Landlrod normally do not legally have a right to enter a tenants dwelling whenever they want. Unless it's a college campus... I've seen that there but it's in the lease...

Not checking out the sources and passing it along and continuing to do so and resorting to name calling when you are found to be passing bad info and I'm the moron, sure. Man the FUCK up, accept you were passing bad info and move the FUCK on. We all have passed on bad info at some point, a man accepts he was wrong and moves on.

I did already, man you're reading comprehension sucks worse than most. You're the one flipping out and instigating over the whole thing... Moron.

You better read your lease. Landlrod normally do not legally have a right to enter a tenants dwelling whenever they want. Unless it's a college campus... I've seen that there but it's in the lease...

The OP said that all of these entries are under the guise of 'maintenance' and the like.

Bear in mind that if you have anything over 18lbs IIRC it has to be registered with the ATF and all it would take is some little fuck making a call to them to bring a full on riot style raid to your place. Conceal it, for no other reason that to dissuade future burglaries because where there's gun powder there's guns.

Also, you should check you local laws on those little drops ins. I run a rental and there are a lot of laws about "just dropping in for XXX inspection".

There was some clause stating that you can only have 18lbs or so in your house without registering it with the ATF. There were several threads about this posted here a year or so ago.

No, I don't but we beat the topic to death about a year ago here so there's probably a record of it. The take away point was that if you had anything over 18lbs you had to register with the ATF, i.e. it's legal to have over 18lbs but you have to register.

I think most of us found that we had exactly 17.5lbs.

Yeah, you guys keep quoting the same thing, nobody is saying it's illegal to have more than ~18lbs it's just that if you do you have to register it with the ATF. For example: it's legal to own a gun and you guys keep posting quotes that prove it's legal to own a gun but you have to register that gun (in Commie states) and that's a totally different law...

Here is how many fucks I give --> 0

The bottom line is that somebody here found and posted the law that if you have over ~18lbs you had to register it with the ATF, we had a big discussion about it here around a year ago
(before the switch) and that's all I know...

Whoa, take some deep breaths there killer...

Woo-SAA

Who said I wasn't? I was simply passing on information that somebody else found. You guys are the one's up in arms over it.

These are ALL your worthless posts in the thread.

I did already, man you're reading comprehension sucks worse than most. You're the one flipping out and instigating over the whole thing... Moron.

Nowhere in this thread did you state that you were passing along bad info and fucked up and would stop.

I know you live in Colorado, but you should really not post when high. That or you are just born fucking stupid as shit.

If you come on here and post mindless bullshit, you are going to get called out on it, plain and fucking simple. It does no good for ANYONE to be polluted with lies. You really think you added to this thread in a meaningful way? All you did was jump on here and say you herd blah blah blah and didn't have ANY evidence. Not only that but if that was fucking true with the 18lb which you were convinced of, you suggested what would be a crime "I think most of us found that we had exactly 17.5lbs. "

Nowhere in this thread did you state that you were passing along bad info and fucked up and would stop.
"

Man, you're stupid motherfucker aren't you (see below).

I was simply passing along information that somebody else on this very forum found a while back. If it's wrong then so be it (I'm just the fucking messenger, moron)

You guys need to relax and chill. What we're seeing is a result of convoluted laws. Even cops don't know all the laws. For example, one law makes it illegal to carry a loaded firearm on a school campus. Nearly every cop knows that one. But, not every cop is aware that way over in another section is an exemption for CCW. Laws exempting this activity from this law, and somewhere else a special condition clause that modifies that exemption, then there are tiers of penalties depending on what that law over there says about this law here, etc. etc. etc. This is what has happened to our legal system where you virtually cannot know all the laws, so you might as well just give up and ignore them altogether or just live in a box in a vaccuum. We're all criminals whether we know it or not. Ridiculous. Point being, you might both be right in different contexts.

Oh dear moderators, I plead to thee, please put this thread out of it's misery! : ) I did my due diligence as a concerned citizen posting direct from the United States Federal Code and ATF bulletins. And now I am punished with notifications of this horrific train wreck of a thread. #unsubscribe

You guys need to relax and chill. What we're seeing is a result of convoluted laws. Even cops don't know all the laws. For example, one law makes it illegal to carry a loaded firearm on a school campus. Nearly every cop knows that one. But, not every cop is aware that way over in another section is an exemption for CCW. Laws exempting this activity from this law, and somewhere else a special condition clause that modifies that exemption, then there are tiers of penalties depending on what that law over there says about this law here, etc. etc. etc. This is what has happened to our legal system where you virtually cannot know all the laws, so you might as well just give up and ignore them altogether or just live in a box in a vaccuum. We're all criminals whether we know it or not. Ridiculous. Point being, you might both be right in different contexts.

I agree! All I know is that about a year ago somebody posted information here that said that you had to register the fact that you had X-amount of powder over some number like 18lbs. Maybe it was a local/state law but somebody did post information to that effect.

You guys need to relax and chill. What we're seeing is a result of convoluted laws. Even cops don't know all the laws. For example, one law makes it illegal to carry a loaded firearm on a school campus. Nearly every cop knows that one. But, not every cop is aware that way over in another section is an exemption for CCW. Laws exempting this activity from this law, and somewhere else a special condition clause that modifies that exemption, then there are tiers of penalties depending on what that law over there says about this law here, etc. etc. etc. This is what has happened to our legal system where you virtually cannot know all the laws, so you might as well just give up and ignore them altogether or just live in a box in a vacuum. We're all criminals whether we know it or not. Ridiculous. Point being, you might both be right in different contexts.

Must say I agree with you. I'm about have about zero concern as to the legality of my reloading supplies. Legal or not, my reloading habits are not going to be changing any time soon, so the whole bit about 18 pounds means nothing to me. I started the thread more worried about my place of dwelling. I'd hate to get kicked out of my spot, but at the same time, it's a little annoying having to crate up 20 lbs of powder every three weeks for an inspection.

All I know is that about a year ago somebody posted information here that said that you had to register the fact that you had X-amount of powder over some number like 18lbs.

That is the problem, you don't know anything except what you read in a thread about a year ago. If everyone lets that go uncorrected, there will be a bunch of other people that are also misinformed.

That information may be correct in some context but you added the "registered with the ATF" line of crap and took it out of State and/or local context, making it incorrect information. That is no good to anyone.

To OP it is just easier to hide it. Out of sight out of mind.

If you can not be there then cameras are needed. When they come make sure you follow them room to room. They do not come back. Maybe it was because I was in my underwear?

That is the problem, you don't know anything except what you read in a thread about a year ago. If everyone lets that go uncorrected, there will be a bunch of other people that are also misinformed.

That information may be correct in some context but you added the "registered with the ATF" line of crap and took it out of State and/or local context, making it incorrect information. That is no good to anyone.

Jesus, you guys are all about killing the messenger. I was only posting a simple warning about some information that came up here a year or so ago, I didn't post the original info and said as much in my very first fucking post! At the time, it seemed as though it was legit information and a lot of people on this very forum discussed it at length. Maybe it's wrong but maybe it's not. Does it really matter this much? I mean if you really break it down are you out anything from having hashed this out and possibly/probably disproved what somebody else posted? Or do you need a medal and a press conference before you can let it go?

You guys:
hCE308B22

To OP it is just easier to hide it. Out of sight out of mind.

If you can not be there then cameras are needed. When they come make sure you follow them room to room. They do not come back. Maybe it was because I was in my underwear?

Haha.. yeah, if I did that I feel like they'd put an end to the inspections too..

My last landlord was a touch skeptical as he was completely unfamiliar with reloading and only knew what the Army taught him. "Y'aint going to blow the place up?",... "Nope, if there is a fire, it'll all just burn a bit hot, no explosion. I asked him if he ever saw mortarmen burning off excess propellents from cut rounds and told him it'd be like that but waaaay less intense.

Before I left there I was loading him 150 grain Sierra .308 Winchester hunting ammo. then again this was a husband and wife owned place, not XYZ holdings corp.

That is not legal to do that here in NY. My friends landlord did this, police were called landlord was charged with tresspassing and something else I forgot what.
Wow , you mean NY still actually respects that part of the constitution. Im surprised they still exercise the right to privacy.

Will somebody please pull hi binder's fat out of the fire and search for a thread from a year ago that proves he didn't make shit up? I would, but I need to organize my sock drawer. Thank you. BB

Hang in there high binder, I understand what you are trying to say. In California (not surprised) we are limited to 20 pounds of smokeless powder and one pound of black powder without the need for special permits. For those needing written clarification refer to CA health and safety codes sections 12101-12112.

16. Is small arms ammunition subject to regulation under Federal explosives laws?
No. The law specifically exempts small arms ammunition and components thereof. (See also Question 81.) [18 U.S.C. 845(a)(4)]

Check local laws, if your legal to own it. Next time he shows up have all your guns out on the table ready for cleaning. Powder, shells. The whole works! I've delt with cops, landlords, neighbours, you name it !
Over my guns and the shooting I do. If it's legal sometimes the best thing you can do is display it! People don't realize what is ok and what isn't! Long as your within the law, screw them! I've been arrested twice because of weapons, both times released with an apology because I knew the law! Don't take that shit! We as gun owners shouldn't have to hide ! Society makes us, but really if your doing nothing wrong why are being treated like you are! Show it off! Teach others that it's ok!