• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua lot testing and barrel wear question

Anyone saying they shoot stainless barrels because they wear longer doesn’t know what they’re talking about.
I said that because I've heard it many times. Do I believe it? No because all of the people I know with very high round counts with accurate barrels are steel... BUT if I didnt go looking I'd believe it! Why do I test 22lr ammo at 200? 😉
Do I care? Not really because I will run SS for other reasons.
This is why I enjoy Justins approach. He shows what he sees we can draw our own conclusions but its not a someone said....

Saying it doesn't make it necessarily true, right C?
Another one of those "read it on the internet" things.
Metal hardness varies with the type of alloy.
The more carbon in the mix, the harder it is, the better it wears.
Too hard it becomes too difficult to machine or it becomes brittle and cracks.

Old discussion...

How do you organize all you links and data that you can find what your looking for? I have a hard time keeping everything so I can find it for reference later.

I download publications/discussions as text files.
Save them to a dedicated hard drive and use a word search to find applicable files.
The original url link is part of the file...sometimes they're still functional,
other times my original download is all that's left as websites go defunct.

Ah thats a good idea downloading as text file! Do you then do a folder hierarchy as well or just text search?

Yall are puttin the cart fore the horse one might ask ? What effects does 4140 have on copper or lead vs 416 ? . I will tell you this and so will most Insert and tooling manufactures any series of stainless is more abrasive then 4140 during machining operation. Question is what effect does this have on the projectile ? Have we opened a can of worms ? Possiable sulfide or silicone lubes on bullets for various barrel alloys for reduced wear and drag ?

I agree 100% I said that because CF guys look at RF and say things like "16in is optimal barrel length for 22lr." Etc.
It simply shows that on both sides there are things that then internet says is true but... So that is why some of us like testing and challenging these things because how do we really know its true?
Will I ever shoot enough rounds to "prove" that with a RF? I do... but I have no intentions of getting anything but SS for other reasons.

Guys have a steel factory barrel at 1200 rounds they start getting fliers so they buy a quality SS barrel have it properly chambered and get 1500 so they think its the SS.... different manufacturers use different hardness of SS too. IBI SS is slightly harder then average. IBI 22lr velocitys are higher in my experience is it related? Maybe thats bore diameter related? I'll never know or care just interesting how many detail we dont see but change the picture.
Your talking 45,000 psi plus chamber to throat to barrel transition increases over a 22 lr. Fact stainless steel does not wear under high pressure like carbon alloys the very reason they solely use 316L in all down hole high pressure applications. The reason they use 4140 or 400m modified applications on auto and aircraft it stands up better to continued repeated cycles at low pressure. The very reason the German said 4140 22 barrels last 2-3 times longer then 416 low pressure repeated cycles, other words no high transitional shock like traditional hoped up 30/338 or 6.5/340 mags.

Reactions: Gleedus
Your talking 45,000 psi plus chamber to throat to barrel transition increases over a 22 lr. Fact stainless steel does not wear under high pressure like carbon alloys the very reason they solely use 316L in all down hole high pressure applications. The reason they use 4140 or 400m modified applications on auto and aircraft it stands up better to continued repeated cycles at low pressure. The very reason the German said 4140 22 barrels last 2-3 times longer then 416 low pressure repeated cycles, other words no high transitional shock like traditional hoped up 30/338 or 6.5/340 mags.
Another side note some days I'm lazy and I dont wipe my guns down that well 416 is a lazy mans metal🙂 no rust ! Like blued 4140 it will still rust !

Last edited:
Reactions: Gleedus