• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LaRue OBR 7.62.

Re: LaRue OBR 7.62.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What did you do with your USO 1.8x10? </div></div>Sold it yesterday. And I think I helped you sell yours a few weeks back!

-Bob </div></div>
Ha! yes you did my friend!

I reload for a 20" OBR. I have tried Lapua brass in it and I would suggest you use LC brass or something cheaper. It is gentler on brass than other semi-autos I have seen but it still chews on em. I would also suggest that you at least try reloder 15 with your SMK 175's as well. All rifles are different of course, but there seemed to be a very distinct difference in the way mine performed with it. I tried 4064, 4895, varget and re-15. Like the seller says, there is a difference between driving a bolt action and a semi-auto, especially the 308 varieties. Good luck.

jay

I may do just that.

Once I get the OBR next week and shoot it the following weekend, if it shoots as good as they are supposed to, I will start moving my Lapua 308 brass and start replacing with LC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any reports of M118LR and its results in the OBR?</div></div>

Ah really ?

it works as expected, I would think that is a given.

We shoot exclusivley M118LR in our OBRs. After running them through Hornady concentricity guage. We get .5moa or .75moa. We shot M118LR at the Benning competition and it was good enough to win 1st place.

While I think the accurate 7.62 gas gun is something everyone should have, we have to be careful trying to get bolt gun results out of a gas gun platform. As we all know, not all bolt guns are equal, thus what's "bolt gun accurate" to one person would be unacceptable to another guy.

I too have an APA 308 bolt gun and there's no way I'd ever expect a gas gun to shoot as well as it does, as consistently as it does. So I guess the issue is what level of accuracy are you going for. If you're ok with a consistent .75MOA gun that will shoot a .5MOA group once in a while, then I think the OBR, MWS, or one of the custom platforms will fit the bill. But asking one of those platforms to shoot as well as a APA, GAP, or TACOPS rig is just not going to happen because often those bolt guns start getting into the sub .25MOA realm with an experienced shooter. I guess expectation management is the key then.

I'm looking at getting a new 308 gas gun myself, but have no qualms if it's only a .75MOA gun. Different rifle, different role if you ask me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any reports of M118LR and its results in the OBR?</div></div>

Ah really ?

it works as expected, I would think that is a given.

</div></div>

Yeah, really.

Didnt have any reason to believe it wouldnt, but am having trouble finding much at all about results guys are getting with it in the OBR.

Glad to hear it is working.

I will say this, while ML and I have had a few public tiffs online, which I went and spoke to him at Shot, there is an OBR at Rifles Only that Jacob uses, not to mention GAPs and POFs. The first 10 shot group with the OBR using M118LR was right around 1/2 minute and it is a very accurate gasser. Now my personal POF is the same as well my GAPs, so a consistent 1/2 minute can be done. The deciding factor with a 308 semi is of course the shooter.

Comparing it to a bolt gun is definitely possible. The new GAP 10 is being tested and seen to produce consistent 3/8 minute groups with the right shooter,same as their bolt guns. So while a bolt gun is easier to shoot and shoot well any accuracy guarantee is still dependent on the shooter. A better shooter with a sub MOA gasser can still best a competent bolt gun shooter with a sub 1/2 guarantee, look at Oregon with Tony. He won with a 6.5CM POF against a bolt gun field. SSgt Kay did the same with his 260 GAP.

The OBR is accurate, Jacob is consistently 1/2 minute or better. But he works at it, a gasser is a commitment to the fundamentals many bolt gunners can fake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I think the accurate 7.62 gas gun is something everyone should have, we have to be careful trying to get bolt gun results out of a gas gun platform. As we all know, not all bolt guns are equal, thus what's "bolt gun accurate" to one person would be unacceptable to another guy.

I too have an APA 308 bolt gun and there's no way I'd ever expect a gas gun to shoot as well as it does, as consistently as it does. So I guess the issue is what level of accuracy are you going for. If you're ok with a consistent .75MOA gun that will shoot a .5MOA group once in a while, then I think the OBR, MWS, or one of the custom platforms will fit the bill. But asking one of those platforms to shoot as well as a APA, GAP, or TACOPS rig is just not going to happen because often those bolt guns start getting into the sub .25MOA realm with an experienced shooter. I guess expectation management is the key then.

I'm looking at getting a new 308 gas gun myself, but have no qualms if it's only a .75MOA gun. Different rifle, different role if you ask me. </div></div>

To me, the two things you are talking about are actually just one thing.

If the OBR will truly give consistent 3/4 moa performance to the limits of my range, (700) I will be ECSTATIC. And it would be bolt gun accurate and replace my bolt gun.

I am optimistic based on what I am hearing from the guys who I believe arent overstating results. It sounds like this thing (along with a couple other recent 308 semi's) really is delivering.

If I can get to the point that I can stay sub moa out to 700 yards with a gas gun, I dont want a bolt gun. To me, that is incredible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will say this, while ML and I have had a few public tiffs online, which I went and spoke to him at Shot, there is an OBR at Rifles Only that Jacob uses, not to mention GAPs and POFs. The first 10 shot group with the OBR using M118LR was right around 1/2 minute and it is a very accurate gasser. Now my personal POF is the same as well my GAPs, so a consistent 1/2 minute can be done. The deciding factor with a 308 semi is of course the shooter.

Comparing it to a bolt gun is definitely possible. The new GAP 10 is being tested and seen to produce consistent 3/8 minute groups with the right shooter,same as their bolt guns. So while a bolt gun is easier to shoot and shoot well any accuracy guarantee is still dependent on the shooter. A better shooter with a sub MOA gasser can still best a competent bolt gun shooter with a sub 1/2 guarantee, look at Oregon with Tony. He won with a 6.5CM POF against a bolt gun field. SSgt Kay did the same with his 260 GAP.

The OBR is accurate, Jacob is consistently 1/2 minute or better. But he works at it, a gasser is a commitment to the fundamentals many bolt gunners can fake. </div></div>

That is excellent to hear. To me, if gas guns catch bolts in potential accuracy, it seems that bolt guns would be headed for obsolescence. To some degree anyway.

ETA- Given sufficient shooter competence, obviously.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will say this, while ML and I have had a few public tiffs online, which I went and spoke to him at Shot, there is an OBR at Rifles Only that Jacob uses, not to mention GAPs and POFs. The first 10 shot group with the OBR using M118LR was right around 1/2 minute and it is a very accurate gasser. Now my personal POF is the same as well my GAPs, so a consistent 1/2 minute can be done. The deciding factor with a 308 semi is of course the shooter.

The OBR is accurate, Jacob is consistently 1/2 minute or better. But he works at it, a gasser is a commitment to the fundamentals many bolt gunners can fake. </div></div>

I tried three times to put what you wrote here. My thoughts exactly (from a novice though). Well said.

I will be the first to admit that I can drive a bolt gun to it's potential or at least close, and I cannot with a gas gun.

EDIT- I will also admit that I do not have the time or patience to commit to get that good with a gas gun.

My results have been mixed.

With my Noveske 7.62, although I didnt shoot it a ton, I was able to shoot it pretty well. And with my LaRue 20" SSS (5.56) I was very (very) impressed with the results.

But with standard AR15's,I struggle mightily, and those are the ones I have shot the most, by a wide margin, when compared to the precision semi's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I think the accurate 7.62 gas gun is something everyone should have, we have to be careful trying to get bolt gun results out of a gas gun platform. As we all know, not all bolt guns are equal, thus what's "bolt gun accurate" to one person would be unacceptable to another guy.

I'm looking at getting a new 308 gas gun myself, but have no qualms if it's only a .75MOA gun. Different rifle, different role if you ask me. </div></div>

To me, the two things you are talking about are actually just one thing.

If the OBR will truly give consistent 3/4 moa performance to the limits of my range, (700) I will be ECSTATIC. And it would be bolt gun accurate and replace my bolt gun.

I am optimistic based on what I am hearing from the guys who I believe arent overstating results. It sounds like this thing (along with a couple other recent 308 semi's) really is delivering.

If I can get to the point that I can stay sub moa out to 700 yards with a gas gun, I dont want a bolt gun. To me, that is incredible. </div></div>

With this kind of approach, I think you'll probably be happy with the OBR. You're obviously focusing more on practical accuracy than punching bug holes at 100 yards. I still wouldn't sell my APA 308 though.

So when are you getting the OBR, and when can we expect a thorough range report, especially out to 700 yards?

I should have it in hand Wednesday.

Problem currently is that I only own one scope which is not currently zeroed on another rifle. It is a Viper PST 1-4 mil/mil.

I am waiting on a PST 6-24 FFP mil/mil but dont know when I will get it. Am keeping my eyes open for a 30mm tubed low priced optic that I can use temporarily while awaiting the PST and then throw on my 17hmr when done with it.

One way or another, I intend to glass it and shoot by next weekend, and yes, it will be shot from 0-~650 yards. Dont know that I will be doing a ton of groups though. More function testing and trying to determine what bullets it prefers.

Although, based on some other guys comments, I may buy a couple hundred rounds of 118 LR initially. Will report back in any case.

Looks like my Vortex Viper PST in 6-24x50, FFP Mil/mil will be here Thursday. The same day my LaRue is due

Should have everything needed to get this thing running by Thursday night and hope to have my first range test going Saturday afternoon.

Still trying to decide what to do for ammo. I think I will just FL size some of 1 or 2X Lapua brass and start with some mild loads using Varget and 155 Scenars and 175 match kings. That way I can avoid chewing on the new Lapua brass.

Will make a decision based on that. At least to get started. I am hearing a lot of good reports of M118LR but I hate buying loaded ammo because I am set up to reload and want to utilize that. There are various recipes for cloning 118 and I may go that route.

Will post RR as soon as I get one. If it produces results anywhere close to what I get from my APA, I am going semi only and will sell the Patriot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Mark and tell him Lowlight sent you, then ask about the SH discount I talked to him at SHOT about. </div></div>
Anyone try this out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StaffyBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Mark and tell him Lowlight sent you, then ask about the SH discount I talked to him at SHOT about. </div></div>
Anyone try this out? </div></div>

I think it was tongue in cheek, but Mark is a good guy and may do it just out of humor. Especially since he and Frank spoke at SHOT. Maybe an olive branch? LOL.

Give it a shot.

Got my 4-16 PST mounted up and loaded a few rounds of a ~M118LR clones. Hope to have a decent RR from 100 to 650 yards tomorrow night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StaffyBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Mark and tell him Lowlight sent you, then ask about the SH discount I talked to him at SHOT about. </div></div>

I think it was tongue in cheek, but Mark is a good guy and may do it just out of humor. Especially since he and Frank spoke at SHOT. Maybe an olive branch? LOL.

Give it a shot.

Got my 4-16 PST mounted up and loaded a few rounds of a ~M118LR clones. Hope to have a decent RR from 100 to 650 yards tomorrow night. </div></div>

Mark use to toss out a 10% off every now and then. Or maybe it was just once.
confused.gif

Hope you have a good trip out with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StaffyBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Mark and tell him Lowlight sent you, then ask about the SH discount I talked to him at SHOT about. </div></div>

I think it was tongue in cheek, but <span style="font-weight: bold">Mark is a good guy</span> and may do it just out of humor. Especially since he and Frank spoke at SHOT. Maybe an olive branch? LOL.

Give it a shot.

Got my 4-16 PST mounted up and loaded a few rounds of a ~M118LR clones. Hope to have a decent RR from 100 to 650 yards tomorrow night. </div></div>

What?

Mark is a good guy. You can read it right in my post.

Do you need LL to confirm it for you?

If you have dealt with the guy much, you know he is a pretty good dude.

Drama happens, dont sweat it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark is a good guy. You can read it right in my post.

Do you need LL to confirm it for you?

If you have dealt with the guy much, you know he is a pretty good dude.

Drama happens, dont sweat it.
</div></div>

Perhaps I've just read too many of his ramblings on other sites where he has attacked various companies/individuals over the years. I guess it can just be chalked up to retarded internet shit but the way he has singled out individuals who don't agree with him for personal attacks just doesn't seem mature or fitting of someone in his position. IMO he has more than just a small ego problem and it has been stoked by his rabid fans that post frequently on another site. I think a lot of his supposed "good deeds" can be chalked up to intelligent marketing too. I'm sure that he does present himself differently in person and could genuinely be a good guy that lets his ego get the best of him online; however, most only see him through the net and NOT in real life. I guess I'm just not a fan of the guy based on what I've seen, which admittedly, is all through the internet. From a business standpoint, I've owned several of their products and dealt with them more than a few times in the past, nothing but good things to say there. However, here we are several years later and now there are other options that are arguably better/as good at the same price or a little less. Stating opinions like this can get you singled out for many personal attacks and BS on other sites where him or his "pack" are present.

I continue to read that shooting a gas gun well is more difficult than shooting a bolt gun as covered above by several veteran shooters. Now that I am back to Joe Citizen, I have become interested in precision rifle shooting after years of government training and experience as an assaulter (carbines/EoTech with nothing over 100-150 meters). Having cut my teeth on the M16/M4 family, I went straight to an OBR for my first precision rifle and have had no issues. I just attended a precision rifle school with several experienced LE SRT snipers (they are actually snipers as opposed to me trying to be a precision rifle shooter, right? HaHa. I have seen some people mis-use the terminology here.) and I was pleased to even be able to stay on the field with these guys. I can guarantee it's not my abilities, I laid my success solely on having the advantage of the gas gun. This was never more evident than when shooting snaps, movers and multiple targets at varying ranges. Whereas the other shooters had to remove their hand to manipulate the bolt, I simply pulled the trigger and let the gun do everything else.

So my question is, what makes a gas gun more difficult to shoot than a bolt gun? Given two rifles of comparable accuracy, I would think not having to manipulate the bolt would make things easier and not harder. In fact, I am in awe of the obvious time and effort some of these guys have spent to be able to work the bolt that efficiently. And I'm not talking about malfunction drills here. It goes without saying that the gas gun is more mechanically complex. Solely from a shooting perspective, how is the gas gun more difficult to shoot?

JB, Im speaking purely from a research standpoint and not from experience. I was researching this same question because I seem to be able to shoot a gas gun better than a bolt gun. The answer seems to me to be that operationally a gas gun has many significant advantages. For tactical competitions some of these advantages are mitigated by match rules and to add to that competition accuracy requirements may exceed practicle accuracy requirements where the more forgiving nature of the bolt gun offers an advantage. Im less sure of the second part of my answer and would like to hear more on the subject myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So my question is, what makes a gas gun more difficult to shoot than a bolt gun?

</div></div>
I'm certainly no expert, but I feel well enough read on this subject, and I have experienced my own shortcomings becoming a hindrance when shooting a semi as opposed to a bolt. Here is why:

A bolt action rifle is a striker fired system. When the trigger is pulled, a spring loaded striker ignites the primer. On a semi auto, when the trigger is pulled, a spring loaded hammer falls, striking a firing pin, which ignites the primer.

This process takes longer on a semi. We are talking milliseconds on both, but from memory, it is about twice as long on a semi than on a bolt. What this means is that anything fundamentally wrong with your technique is going to be amplified- any flinch will have more time to effect your shot, etc.