• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lasik

Never had it done myself. My younger brother had it done about 2 years ago while in the military. He has better than 20/20.
When I was in I knew a few guys that got it done, they too had 20/20 or better. There was only one guy that said later that he had issues with focusing. So for the most part it sounds good to me if you got bad eyes. Just don't get it done if your eyes are still changing or have changed within I think 5 years?

I have known a few people that after they had it done. Later on had to wear glasses again.

I checked on it about ten years ago and my eye Dr advised against saying that eventually you will wear glasses again so I decided against it.

I have way better that 20/20 with corrective lenses.

Had mine done 8 or 9 years ago. My vision was horrible, and I couldn't even really make out the first letter on the old eye charts. Lasik fixed me up better than 20/20. Best money that I've ever spent. I could see as soon as I raised up in my chair. The doctor even had me read a sign on the wall in pretty small print that read "I can see clearly now." For about 2 months after the procedure, I had a little trouble driving to work in the mornings or evenings after dark. Worse when it rained. The headlights from oncoming vehicles would make me see a halo effect. Doctor warned me of this, and told me that it would go away. It did eventually clear up, and I haven't had any issues since.

On a side note, my wife had hers done at the same time and just had to get glasses again a few weeks ago. She recently won a battle with cancer after a year of chemotherapy. Lost vision is a side effect of one of her chemotherapy medicines.

I have known a few people that after they had it done. Later on had to wear glasses again.

I checked on it about ten years ago and my eye Dr advised against saying that eventually you will wear glasses again so I decided against it.

It's my understanding that someday in their lives, everyone will need glasses even if its just for reading. The earlier its done in life, the longer you have to be glasses/contacts free.

I had PRK done last October and couldn't be happier. The healing time for PRK is a bit longer. But the long term is supposed to be more stabile.

My wife was blind. Like 20/400 blind. She had PRK done as her cornea were not thick enough for Lasik and it was the best money I've ever spent on her. She can now see 20/15.

had mine done 8 or 9 years ago. My vision was horrible, and i couldn't even really make out the first letter on the old eye charts. Lasik fixed me up better than 20/20. Best money that i've ever spent. I could see as soon as i raised up in my chair. The doctor even had me read a sign on the wall in pretty small print that read "i can see clearly now." for about 2 months after the procedure, i had a little trouble driving to work in the mornings or evenings after dark. Worse when it rained. The headlights from oncoming vehicles would make me see a halo effect. Doctor warned me of this, and told me that it would go away. It did eventually clear up, and i haven't had any issues since.

On a side note, my wife had hers done at the same time and just had to get glasses again a few weeks ago. She recently won a battle with cancer after a year of chemotherapy. Lost vision is a side effect of one of her chemotherapy medicines.

congrats on her win!!!

My wife had it this summer. She loves it. She still can't believe she can wake up in the middle of the night and read the alarm clock. Best money we ever spent.

Finally made the apt to get it done. Anyone had it already? Love it? Hate it? Any side effects?

I had it done in early 2005 - I absolutely love it! Just make sure and do your research in terms of going to a top notch doctor who has performed thousands of procedures. Do not under any circumstances try to save a few bucks when it comes to your eyes. I see these ad's on tv about saving $200.00/$500.00 per eye or, 2 for 1 "specials" nonsense. Screw that noise - pay the coin and have it done right.

For example - my eye doctor is the team eye physician for the Denver Broncos & Colorado Avalanche. He's performed lasik on professional NFL football players, professional NHL hockey players, professional PGA golf players, movie stars, and has over 40,000 + procedures under his belt. Bottom line - do you research on the doctor and inquire how many procedures he or, she has performed and who his or, her patient list consists of. If professional athletes & movie stars who are worth millions trust their eyes, health, etc. to a doctor - it's a safe bet they would be a good choice.

Plus, several of my previous colleagues also had lasik performed by my eye doctor. Therefore, I had their vote of confidence, experience and final outcome as well. If you decide to have it done...follow the instructions exactly (steroid drops, eye drops every hour, goggles at night, not rubbing your eyes, etc.) and you'll be fine. My experience and outcome are perfect: started off at 20/275 (left) and 20/325 w/astigmatism (right). I'm now corrected to 20/15 in both eyes and still 20/15 eight + years later. As a matter of fact I just had my annual eye exam 2 months ago...still perfect eagle eyes vision!

It's truly the best money I have ever spent - no more contacts, glasses, gritty, itchy & red bloodshot eyes. Plus, waking up in the morning and being able to see the clock across the room is the best reminder every day!

my $0.02:cool:

p.s. The only minor side effect that I have (some do, some don't) is that I have sensitivity to bright lights - sunglasses during the day are mandatory for me now.

$5,000. It's your eyeballs. Don't wanna go cheap on them. They're the only pair you're gonna get. Find the best place and go there.

Not to pry, but those that did it how much did you pay? I'm looking at around 3400

$1,700.00 per eye sounds about right. When I had mine done it was $2,500.00 per eye - $5,000.00 total which included all my pre & post op care, appointments, etc. Just, please do your research on the doctor - I even inquired if my doctor had any formal complaints on file with the State Board of Medical Examiners. Call me paranoid but, you only have 1 set of eyes.;)

20-15 eyesight after 11 years. Best $3500 I ever spent. Now I'm 40, so we'll see how soon I need reading glasses......
Just be sure the op-room is a VERY CLEAN and STERILE environment. I had mine done at Kremer Laser Eye Center near Philly, PA. They are very picky about cleanliness---op-room is up stairs, and you put on a clean suit and booties in an ante-room before you enter the op-suite. Check any records you can about how many incidents of infection they have had---that is one of the most common complications with lasik, and if prevented or at least caught quickly and cared for properly, the results are good. The cheap places tend to have more infections and complications.

Just kidding. I had Lasik years ago and it was a great decision. Freedom from glasses and contacts is so nice its hard to put into words. Expect changing vision, dry eyes, and nighttime halos during the healing process. Doesn't take long for that to go away and near perfect vision to take its place.

That has to due with presbyopia, not from the corrective eye surgery itself. Basically, presbyopia happens as you get older and you can't focus close. You have seen people would hold the paper at arms length to read. If you have normal vision, then you would get reading glasses. If you wear glasses, the you would step up to bifocals. Now there are exceptions, when they are unable to get you to 20/20 and stuff like that.

I had it done four years ago and feel it was the best money I ever spent. It was somewhere around 3k.
Don't rub your eyes.

Lasik Plus about 9 years ago. Happy as Hell with the results.
I bought the lifetime maintenance, so if I ever need a redo I'm covered.

My son had PRK. It was recommended for his particular situation. It took him much much longer to recover.

I had it done 2 years ago and still see 20/15.

As everyone has already stated, you'll be a little scratchy and dry for a few months but then back to normal. I was blind, like 20/400 and actually had to have it done twice but knew that going in. $3500 is the exact ball park to be in. I want to say it was around $1500 and eye and then $250 for my touch up procedure. Be vary wary of those offering for half the price, there is a reason they are doing that.

Also it corrects your vision today, not forever. It doesn't stop your eyes from naturally aging. You will need glasses later on for reading so take age into consideration. If youre closer to 20, go for it. If you're 40 and just want to get rid of your glasses, well you may want to consider still having to have reading glasses.

Good luck with it! Best money Ive ever paid.

I had it done 10 years ago...best money spent here too. I was 20/100 before the procedure and have been 20/15 since. The biggest issue I noticed after the procedure, was most car taillights at night appeared to be the same. There was a time I could ID a vehicle model by it's taillights at night.... Also, looking at stars at night after lasik has never been the same....fuzzy! ?? Do it!

Best money you will ever spend if you are active outdoors camping, shooting, etc. Contacts were really handi-capping what I could do and how long I could go without having to worry about cleaning them. After dealing with contacts for 10 years, I had PRK done. The healing process takes a couple weeks, but even if it took a couple months it would be worth it. I was told to expect at least 10 years of good vision before I might need reading glasses, but my distance vision will remain 20/20 and 20/30. It was 20/400 in both eyes before PRK.

a simple consideration: look up any page of good eye doctors that offer lasik or similar treatments. you will notice that almost all the doctor wear glasses themselves ... and they didn't do the operation on themselves that they are offering to perform on you. guess why?

I've been wanting to get it done for a while, but I haven't the funds.

I don't have particularly bad vision.. basically I only use glasses so I can see my video games clearly but during daily routines I am fine.

The eye doctor who prescribed my glasses said that she wouldn't recommend lasik because when people get lasik they hope to end up with vision like mine.. which doesn't make sense because from what I heard, people end up with better than 20/20. Which mine is definitely not.

I am still hoping to get it soon.

Is guess I should have asked this awhile ago, what is PRK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PRK is a variation of the surgery where instead of making the flap and then laser the eye, they basically scrape away the cornea, laser the eye and leave the cornea to regenerate itself. The same laser is used but the healing time is longer. Like weeks. This is what my wife had done. There are certain career fields where Lasik is not an option due to the risk of getting poked in the eye and having the flap reopen itself. Also not everyone's cornea is thick enough to have lasik where the flap is made.

I did custom view or C-lasik at Peidmont better vision in Atlanta. My Dr. did it on Elton John and many of the Braves players. I figure when it comes to your eyes, dont try to save money. Go to the best. I also see 20/15. Best money I ever spent. They also have a 0% financing if needed if paid in 12 months or did at the time.

a simple consideration: look up any page of good eye doctors that offer lasik or similar treatments. you will notice that almost all the doctor wear glasses themselves ... and they didn't do the operation on themselves that they are offering to perform on you. guess why?

Ever notice how mechanics drive old beat up POS cars? Not sure what you are getting at here. Is there some percentage number that I should be looking for? I've never met anyone who had a problem with it. The slight chance of something going wrong doesn't seem to stop people from skydiving either. Everything in life is a chance and you can never achieve anything if you don't try.

As to the question of PRK, it is just a different procedure. My cornea's were too thin for Lasik, so PRK was necessary for me. PRK is supposed to be more durable anyways. The main drawback is the longer healing time. It will take a couple weeks for your eyes to feel normal, and a couple months for your vision to be 100%. As your cornea heals and grows back in towards the center, you will be "looking through" the edge of the healed portion which gives the illusion of double vision for a while. It scared me at first, but the doctor explained it well and it is completely normal. Like I said, even if it cost $10k and took 6 months to heal the procedure would be worth it for me.

I inquired about it over here in Australia, I need slight correction for distance viewing and more correction for computer / reading. Apparently their preferred option is to optimise each eye for one distance. I am not happy with this approach, at the moment when shooting pistol both the sights and the target are not quite clear, having to change eyes to check the sights and the target are is not acceptable. Approaching 60 years of age so only going down from here.

One of my best friend is an opthamologist and was trying to get me to do LASIK. He wears glasses. I told him no way. He got the procedure done 6 months ago. I had him laser me last week.

It is pretty crazy. So far, I do have halos in low light and have pretty bad dry eyes. He says both will get better with time. The day after, I was 20/20 in both eyes. He is not going to see me again until 3 months post-op. He usually schedules a visit at 1 week and 1 month, but we agreed that wasn't necessary since my vision is already pretty good. I would love to get to 20/15, which is what I was with contacts. He actually wears glasses to gen an additional .5 diopters of correction, and also as sort of a fashion thing. After 3 months, I might decide to wear contacts just when I need the extra bit of resolution for shooting and so forth. Or I could be at 20/15 and not need it.

What is crazy is the whole regimen that is built into your day. In the morning, I stand in front of the mirror, thinking there is one more thing I need to do. And then at night, I think, "oh crap, I need to take my contacts out before my eyes dry out." It is also crazy just waking up in the morning and being able to see. I was at a -4.0/-5.0.

Not to pry, but those that did it how much did you pay? I'm looking at around 3400

I just had, as in two weeks ago, LASIK done at LASIK MD in Canada. It cost me 490/eye all said and done. It was a quick procedure. The only 'issue' with the procedure itself was the pressure on my eye balls when they cut the flap. It feels like a super bad sinus infection: on the first eye. They then warned me that they were doing the exact same thing on my second eye, but my brain would 'trick' me and it would feel 'different'. Well it felt like a freaking tank was rolling on my eye, and it didn't work the first time so they had to do it twice, which was terrible. I'm not a pansy but I guess experiences vary. Apart from that the procedure was 20 mins in and out.

The next 4-6 hours following was a constant irritation, you're not allowed to rub your eyes (because of the flap) and it feels like there is sand in your eyes. The best way I can describe the nuisance here, is having an irritated joint where you can put it in a certain position for relief, except you cannot. Does not hurt, but just annoying.

Waking up the next morning: YOU CAN SEE!. It's not perfect but you are expected to be 80%, for me 80% was the lower end of the 20/20 spectrum. At my two week follow-up I'm 20/20 but I'm expected to get better. Everything that is a light (especially at night) is an orb, like a turn signal still looks like a rectangle, but it has a 30" circle flashing with it, for example. I'm assured this will go away, hopefully before the 'up to three months' mark.

I'll keep you guys updated, hope this helps,

James

I had PRK done in April of 09 in the Army. It was the best decision I have ever made. It took me two years to get my packet through and when the time came I had to decide Sniper school or eye surgery. That was a very tough decision at the time as that is the one school I wanted while I was in. I dont regret having PRK done. It is great being able to see without having to wear glasses or stick things in my eyes every morning. As Avsfan mentioned I am like him in that I know have very photosensitive eyes so sunglasses are a must for me during the day and cloudy days seem worse to me than sunny days. With that said Id rather wear sunglasses than regular glasses when outdoors.

Even in my 30s I was 20/15 & 20/10 and have never needed* glasses so I count myself blessed in that regard. As someone noted most everyone needs reading glasses as they age as the lens is less flexible. And, sure enough, as I approach 50 micro-print closer than a foot gets pretty blurry for me and I need those cheap magnifying reading glasses. Beyond that and at distance I'm great. But I've often thought that maybe I needed LASIK to help with the ultra-close really small things. Reading this, however, it seems that that issue is not what LASIK is for and I'm fine. Does that sound right?

Moreover, I assume it is a joke, but the site seemed pretty real, so at the risk of looking like a dope -- and being too lazy to google it right now -- was that "Home LASIK" thing someone posted for real? Or just a gag?

But I've often thought that maybe I needed LASIK to help with the ultra-close really small things. Reading this, however, it seems that that issue is not what LASIK is for and I'm fine. Does that sound right?

They can do it, but generally it usually costs you some far sighted vision. One of the things they do is correct one eye and leave the other eye uncorrected. It sounds like it would drive me crazy, but it seems to work for a lot of people. I spoke with my opthamologist friend. He said that I will lose some close vision, and I have. I am 39 and used to be able to read text 1.5" in front of my face, and now it is more like 4". I can live with that tradeoff. Nearsighted people like myself tend to have really good close vision. As a matter of a fact, before I had the surgery, if I wasn't wearing contacts or glasses, I had to put books 4" in front of my face just to be able to be able to see the words. You can help this by doing "pencil pushups." (look it up). A lot of the loss of focus is due to the muscles in your eyes not being able to focus like they used to. Another aspect is the change of the shapes of our skulls as we age.

You should get a consult if it bothers you that much.

I had it done about a year ago. It is a miracle! I love it. My vision was horrible and I wore contacts since I was 25, I am now 55. My glasses were the classic "Coke bottle" looking super thick lenses. When I hit around 54 the contacts started to irritate my eyes. Doc said that I was getting older and my eyes were dry and that was causing issues.
I went to the best guy in the country, (maybe the world) Dr. Tooma in Newport Beach california. Cost more, but worth it.
No pain, no irritation, no problems at all. Plus, I have astigmatism in one eye. Surgery was weird, but painless. Went home and went to sleep. Woke up the next morning and I could see. Drove myself to the eye doc for a check up and have never had any problems. I wish I had done it years sooner.

Had it done. Best money i ever spent on Optics. Make sure your surgeon has done over 10K procedures and works in reputable firm. Other than that no worries. Enjoy sleeping in those funky goggles for the next 30 days...LOL

Make sure your surgeon has done over 10K procedures and works in reputable firm.

That would be lower on my list of priorities. My number one concern is that they use the latest technology. Experience mattered a lot more when they were using microkeratomes (oscillating razors) to make the flap. Computers guide the whole process. The main use of the surgeon is to identify and correct complications... and this is a surgery which very rarely has complications. The technology, however, is constantly changing. My cousin got RK, which was all performed with a razor. His results were great at the time, but did not fully correct his vision and he had all opf the side effects permanently. My sister had Lasik with the microkeratome about 15 years ago. She got good vision, but ended up with horrible night vision.

Current technology uses a laser to make a reverse beveled incision, which is very stable. This incision also heals better to create fewer side long-term side effects as they relate to glare and nightvision issues. The latest technology to shape the cornea tracks the motion of your eye during surgery to insure that tissue is ablated (shaved away) in the right areas.

All of these advancements are a function of the machine and not the surgeon. When it comes to identifying and correcting complications, I would as soon have an experienced ophthalmologist as a Lasik specialist. Sure, I don't want to be one of the first patients or the first patient on a new machine, but number 10,000 is hardly necessary.

What they had told me at the time of the consultation was similar to what you said about the laser tracking and all that. They also said at this point there isn't a new technology coming out within the next few months or a year. So now is as good a time as any.

And I would like to get it done before Obummercare takes full effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure your surgeon has done over 10K procedures and works in reputable firm.

This advice is often given out for a variety of medical procedures, but it seems a little misguided. Often, the ones that do the most procedures are the ones that are operating in high volume clinics where you are on an assembly line. Second, if everyone limits themselves to the 10K plus surgeons, what happens when those guys retire?

I went with the firm in my area who had the most impressive success record by percentage----in their more than ten years, they had only had one case of infection (by far the most common cause of complications in lasik eye correction)and that one was caught early, the patient finished with 20/20 vision.
That means more to me than the surgeon having over 10,000 procedures under his belt. Look up Dr. Ben Carson's career for an example: he hadn't done over 10,000 conjoined-skull twin separations, and yet God gave him the skill to do the first successful one ever. I would take quality over volume.

18 years ago I had an RK, $995 for both eyes, scalpel that was set under a microscope, cutting by hand, I made sure I was laying REAL STILL, 1st procedure took me from 20-can't see shit to ~20/50, Doc gave me a no charge "enhancement" that got me to better than 20/20 in both eyes. Still see great but every now and then have a bad eye day where things aren't as sharp. Cruel twist of irony, my surgeon had to retire as he developed vision issues that prevented him from operating.