• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Late 60's custom Sako Finwolf dilemma

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
My father left me a supposed unfired Finwolf in 308 and none of us have shot it. It has a medium figured custom European walnut stock with oakleaf engraving, real ebony grip cap and forend cap with real ivory spacers and has a Ivory boar inlaid into the butt stock. The woodsmith was a German "in Germany" near where my father was stationed in Ramstein, named Herr Fuch and the stock was completed shortly after the rifle was purchased. The workmanship is absolutely superb!

The Dilemma is after all these years I am thinking about shooting it since recently I have become acquainted with a group of shooters who mostly shoot older rifles with iron sights.

Being that it's probably unfired but not factory original anymore how would firing it affect the value?

Being that it's a superb old custom Finwolf, which is already a rare rifle in mint and unfired condition, what do the more experienced collectors here on the Hide rate the value of it? Fired vs unfired as well?

Should I abandon the notion of shooting it altogether and let it stay in the back of the safe only to be admired a few times a year?

Thanks

Last edited:
Will you ever sell it? If no, you won't hurt the resale value.

Truth be told, sako collectors are a fussy bunch that like things just like they left the factory. I think you shot shoot it , but treat it like a the family heirloom it is.

Will you ever sell it? If no, you won't hurt the resale value.

Truth be told, sako collectors are a fussy bunch that like things just like they left the factory. I think you shot shoot it, but treat it like a the family heirloom it is.

That is tough call Tyler concerning selling it! My two sons who are in their 20's like shooting, only problem is the shooting they enjoy is in a virtual world. Once in a great while they'l humor me and come shoot real guns. Sadly right now in life they have no interest in guns. My daughter may never have children and I imagine would rather inherit other girl type heirlooms.

The boys never met there grandfather so there is little connection to the rifle for them. I have plenty of other items with sentimental value including other guns passed down from my father but this is the nicest. Honestly I feel the boys would be happy enough with the regular heirlooms since they cannot appreciate what a nice rifle the Finwolf is. Also it would be weird leaving one son the stock and the other the barreled action so as to be fair, haha.

If I were to sell it I better not shoot it, which is part of the reason I haven't.

I'll post some pics later this evening.

I would shoot it, think of the history, and enjoy a really nice gun. In time, your kids will come around. Hopefully, before your health goes and then it will be " my Dad's most special gun". Besides, It's a 308. Not a barrel burner. Keep a round count. My father left me a couple fine shotguns . I haven't shot them, ever, but I can't sell them. He'd haunt me. I do shoot my grandfathers Winchester 55 takedown 30 WCF. Some tell me I shouldn't. What's a few grand in the larger scheme of things?By the way, that is a beauty.

What are you saving it for; a few hundred dollars that your estate may or may not get? It was made to be shot and enjoyed.

Then leave it to a family member that will also enjoy it. If there isn't anyone, then let your family worry about what it's worth when your gone.

Upon rethinking this...put some FGMM in it and post some groups!
This is the perfect Classy Pig Rifle! I'm swooning!

I would have to agree with the guys that say enjoy the rifle. It's absolutely beautiful!

That being said, I never inherented an unfired rifle. All the ones from my grandfather we shot. Most all of them with me present. It was more about the gun bringing memories than dollars for him I would say.

That is absolutely beautiful!!!

As to shoot it or not, only you can really answer that. Honestly firing it isn't going to devalue it more than a couple hundred. However in your shoes, I'd have to ask myself what would your father want you to do with it? There's a pretty good chance there that he was thinking of you when he acquired it, weather directly or in looking forward to having a son to pass it on to. If that's the case, you owe it to him to look back and try to understand what that rifle meant to him before making any decisions on it, be it shooting it or not, but especially if you're thinking of selling it at some point. Who knows, maybe one of your boys will come around to it later in life, if only one of them does, then leave the other something else nice, if they both do, then acquire an heirloom of your own to add to the family for whichever one you don't pass this on to.

Thanks for the wisdom in these thoughtful responses guys!

Thinking back the only reason my father would approve of me selling the rifle would be in the case of something happening that necessitated doing so. We've been through some tough times and I have resisted selling so far.

I don't know why my father never shot it when I was growing up??? and I guess I never shot it because he didn't. He never told me "do not shoot the Finwolf" or left any instruction of his wishes concerning the rifle. I'm sure he expected to have the rifle pass down to through his lineage.

If we shoot it I think I should have both my sons present to honor my Father and their Grandfather. Me first, then the first born son, then the youngest. Maybe the boys would become attached to the Finwolf if they shot it and the experience would get them thinking of their grandpa and his accomplishments in life.

That's a fine rifle. Shoot it! If you take care of it you won't hurt the value at all. This is now a custom rifle, so it isn't NIB in the eyes of a collector. The value of this rifle is in the quality and condition. A few rounds won't hurt either.

I sometimes wonder what I will do with my guns if my kids don't want them. I hope they will though! I would likely leave them to someone close that I know would appreciate it, like a niece or nephew or just a good friend that was younger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk