• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Latest recommendations for a 5.56 can?

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I have a problem. I have 7 suppressors and not one of them is a dedicated 5.56 can.

What is the latest craze right now? I am running a 11.5” SBR with adjustable gas and an LMT BCG so flow through doesn’t have much appeal to me. I could be convinced though. I have read they are quieter at the ear but not at the muzzle?

Obviously the RC2 is a consideration but given advancements in baffles design, materials, etc. I don’t think surefire has much of an advantage anymore (other than a mountain of real life performance).

How about the Dead Air Sierra, Otter Creek, or Griffin Recce? Anyone had good results?

I am leaning towards a can under 7” in length.

I have been happy with the Flow 5.56 Good suppression, cleaner rifle, short and light. Didn't much go looking for a flow through but after reviewing the Pew Science data decided it was worth trying one out and I found it to my liking. Then I ordered a Flow 7.62

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
I have been happy with the Flow 5.56 Good suppression, cleaner rifle, short and light. Didn't much go looking for a flow through but after reviewing the Pew Science data decided it was worth trying one out and I found it to my liking. Then I ordered a Flow 7.62
Thanks for the feedback. Did you go k or full size on the 5.56?

I have a problem. I have 7 suppressors and not one of them is a dedicated 5.56 can.

What is the latest craze right now? I am running a 11.5” SBR with adjustable gas and an LMT BCG so flow through doesn’t have much appeal to me. I could be convinced though. I have read they are quieter at the ear but not at the muzzle?

Obviously the RC2 is a consideration but given advancements in baffles design, materials, etc. I don’t think surefire has much of an advantage anymore (other than a mountain of real life performance).

How about the Dead Air Sierra, Otter Creek, or Griffin Recce? Anyone had good results?

This OCL Polonium ranked #1 in muzzle suppression on the PEW Science charts... I love mine.

@HansohnBrothers is a site sponsor on here and has a couple in stock.

Reactions: AMGtuned and FuhQ
The more I learn about the otter creek, the more I like it. It can be run with keymo brakes and uses adapters for the 1.375-24 thread.
Yes, the 1.375-24 mount threads is what is referred to as “HUB” mounting. It has become the new standard thread pitch/mounting for suppressors thanks to the versatility and infinite mounting solutions.

Since you have a tuneable gas system, the Polonium would be an excellent choice.

KAC qdc/mcq prt, hux 556k, sig slx556c all i use on 556 gas runners. I have rc2s, old aems and they just sit. It is so much comfortable and pleasant to shoot these new generation 3d cans.

I never bothered with otter, griffin, dead air etc but some of them seem to offer value.

Your method of use, mounting preferences and budget.

I have the Sierra 5 and use it on a 12.5" SBR. I also have a Flow 762 and it's not only more quiet but lighter by over two ounces. The Flow 556 is slightly better performing than it's big brother with 5.56 and lighter/shorter still. The Huxwrx mounts are simple and fool-proof and they're super easy to clean. Soak it and then shoot it out. Easy peasy. Not a HUB mount unless you look at the new Huxwrx Ventum.

And don't even get me started on Dead Air's recent fiasco with the Sierra 5 and their total lack of customer service. I was one of the recipients, needing to send in a brand new suppressor for repair and wait an additional three months. Some guys waited twice that long. I would avoid Dead Air until they get their situation straightened out.

I will say that overall I'm happy with the Sierra but there is still going to be more gas to the face, even with gas block adjustments, vs a Huxwrx or other low back pressure design. My SBR is piston driven and on the normal setting, yes, tons of gas with the Sierra (or any other cone baffle suppressor). With the gas adjustment set on the suppressed setting, less so, but still not the same as a flow through like the Huxwrx. It's pleasant enough and with ear pro on, there's really very little between any of them.

What are your priorities besides length? There are a ton of new "high flow" designs out there. I tend to favor light myself.

The Radical Defense stuff looks interesting, the LS and CS line, did well in the Thunderbeast silencer summit. https://rdusa.com/

I have the Sierra 5 and use it on a 12.5" SBR. I also have a Flow 762 and it's not only more quiet but lighter by over two ounces. The Flow 556 is slightly better performing than it's big brother with 5.56 and lighter/shorter still. The Huxwrx mounts are simple and fool-proof and they're super easy to clean. Soak it and then shoot it out. Easy peasy. Not a HUB mount unless you look at the new Huxwrx Ventum.

And don't even get me started on Dead Air's recent fiasco with the Sierra 5 and their total lack of customer service. I was one of the recipients, needing to send in a brand new suppressor for repair and wait an additional three months. Some guys waited twice that long. I would avoid Dead Air until they get their situation straightened out.

I will say that overall I'm happy with the Sierra but there is still going to be more gas to the face, even with gas block adjustments, vs a Huxwrx or other low back pressure design. My SBR is piston driven and on the normal setting, yes, tons of gas with the Sierra (or any other cone baffle suppressor). With the gas adjustment set on the suppressed setting, less so, but still not the same as a flow through like the Huxwrx. It's pleasant enough and with ear pro on, there's really very little between any of them.

What are your priorities besides length? There are a ton of new "high flow" designs out there. I tend to favor light myself.

The Radical Defense stuff looks interesting, the LS and CS line, did well in the Thunderbeast silencer summit. https://rdusa.com/
KAC qdc/mcq prt, hux 556k, sig slx556c all i use on 556 gas runners. I have rc2s, old aems and they just sit. It is so much comfortable and pleasant to shoot these new generation 3d cans.

I never bothered with otter, griffin, dead air etc but some of them seem to offer value.

Your method of use, mounting preferences and budget.
My main priorities are sound suppression level, durability, and length. A little weight never really bothered me, especially on an SBR, but I would go titanium again if it turned out to be the right option.

Historically I have run Thunderbeast cans but they no longer make a 5.56.

No budget constraints. I will spend what I need to.

Reactions: FuhQ
I just don’t see the point in a dedicated 223 can, I have one and wish I had just gotten another 30 cal can. My 30’s on the same rifles are just as quiet and far more versatile.

Reactions: Ermine
I just don’t see the point in a dedicated 223 can, I have one and wish I had just gotten another 30 cal can. My 30’s on the same rifles are just as quiet and far more versatile.

I don't know. Zak says in their testing at TBAC that caliber specific orifaces make a measurable difference in suppression. My ear agrees I think but suppression is so user sprecific and subjective. 5.56/.223 is such a crappy round to suppress well I want a 5.56 specific can....I also find that the more I get the less they move at all between platforms. I tried the universal versatile can thing early on just like everybody. The this can for this rifle just works better for me and my uses. Mine pretty much stay on the same rifle unless i take them off to clean. I get the thought though and it does make sense for many I am just a wierdo I have 3 5.56 cans.

I don't know. Zak says in their testing at TBAC that caliber specific orifaces make a measurable difference in suppression. My ear agrees I think but suppression is so user sprecific and subjective. 5.56/.223 is such a crappy round to suppress well I want a 5.56 specific can....I also find that the more I get the less they move at all between platforms. I tried the universal versatile can thing early on just like everybody. The this can for this rifle just works better for me and my uses. Mine pretty much stay on the same rifle unless i take them off to clean. I get the thought though and it does make sense for many I am just a wierdo.

Not when it comes to 223.

Directly from their website:

What happened to the 223 ULTRA 7?
With the ULTRA Gen2 updates, a prototype “223 ULTRA 7 Gen2” meters the exact same on 223/556 as the 6.5 ULTRA 7 Gen2, which is still quieter than an original 223 ULTRA 7, so the original 223 ULTRA 7 is replaced with the 6.5 ULTRA 7 Gen2.”

If you want to have $1K+ tied up into a can plus a $200 stamp and a year wait that can’t be used on anything else if you want it to, that’s on you, but you’re not doing yourself any favors and only fooling yourself into believing you’re gaining anything. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Reactions: Keith E.
With the ULTRA Gen2 updates, a prototype “223 ULTRA 7 Gen2” meters the exact same on 223/556 as the 6.5 ULTRA 7 Gen2, which is still quieter than an original 223 ULTRA 7, so the original 223 ULTRA 7 is replaced with the 6.5 ULTRA 7 Gen2.”

Interesting......thanks! I have to refuse to ackowledge that in deference to my 3 5.56 cans. It is the Hide way :LOL:

I do expect a lot is tied to suppressor design and generation also but again cutting hairs here.

Not when it comes to 223.

Directly from their website:

If you want to have $1K+ tied up into a can plus a $200 stamp and a year wait that can’t be used on anything else if you want it to, that’s on you, but you’re not doing yourself any favors and only fooling yourself into believing you’re gaining anything. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Edit: I love responses like this. People get so passive aggressive when you are inquisitive.

I don't know what other cans you have in your inventory, and I don't know what goals you have in mind other than spending some money.

The OCL Polonium is effective, tough, inexpensive, and works on 6mm rounds. It's also kinda heavy.

The Surefire RC3 looks like the preferred way to set a stack of cash on fire.

The CGS Helios QD is pretty cool, but despite its markings, it's not a dedicated 5.56 can.

The YHM Turbo doesn't suck, especially considering the modest price.

I don't know what other cans you have in your inventory, and I don't know what goals you have in mind other than spending some money.

The OCL Polonium is effective, tough, inexpensive, and works on 6mm rounds. It's also kinda heavy.

The Surefire RC3 looks like the preferred way to set a stack of cash on fire.

The CGS Helios QD is pretty cool, but despite its markings, it's not a dedicated 5.56 can.

The YHM Turbo doesn't suck, especially considering the modest price.
No mag dumps or anything. Mainly used for range commando sessions and hunting under NV/IR. No mag dumping or anything.

Thanks for the feedback.

Currently have a dominus, 338 ultra, crux .30 cal (surprisingly I have never had an issue with mine) and a .30 cal YHM ULT (purchased when I thought Hilary could win). 😂

I don’t mind going to a new mounting system. The hub does interest me so I could run various ways.

Interesting......thanks! I have to refuse to ackowledge that in deference to my 3 5.56 cans. It is the Hide way :LOL:

I do expect a lot is tied to suppressor design and generation also but again cutting hairs here.
Which 556 cans are you running?

I have noticed a slight difference around 5.56 cans vs 7.62 cans. According to the internet, reliability questionable, you can see 1-3 db improvement. It doesn’t seem like much but given that db is exponential, it’s pretty significant and detectable to the human ear.

Which of the 5.56 cans do you like the best?

Thanks for taking the time to post. I hadn’t seen the stuff on the sierra 5! I will mark that off the list.

My main priorities are sound suppression level, durability, and length. A little weight never really bothered me, especially on an SBR, but I would go titanium again if it turned out to be the right option.

Historically I have run Thunderbeast cans but they no longer make a 5.56.

No budget constraints. I will spend what I need to.
Budget or no budget, the Polonium will still be at the top of the pile, if DB’s, durability, and keeping things short are your main concerns. It was designed that way. It’s solid 17-4 stainless, so it’s not titanium light, but it’s made to handle some serious abuse while keeping weight at a minimum to maintain function. It also has a purpose-designed reverse blast baffle that both reduces blowback, and reduces baffle erosion on short barrels with lots of heat and flame.

@AndrewKing is the owner of OCL, and he did a ton of unbiased testing using a full-auto 4.75” 5.56 SBR with a D60 drum mag, for a bunch of the “duty rated” cans on the market. He posted all the videos and results to his Instagram page. The Polonium showed virtually no wear. A couple other cans did well, too, like the Sandman-S…But most of the “duty rated” stuff was burning down from severe baffle erosion.

Last edited:
I don't know. Zak says in their testing at TBAC that caliber specific orifaces make a measurable difference in suppression. My ear agrees I think but suppression is so user sprecific and subjective. 5.56/.223 is such a crappy round to suppress well I want a 5.56 specific can....I also find that the more I get the less they move at all between platforms. I tried the universal versatile can thing early on just like everybody. The this can for this rifle just works better for me and my uses. Mine pretty much stay on the same rifle unless i take them off to clean. I get the thought though and it does make sense for many I am just a wierdo I have 3 5.56 cans.
He said it "can make a measurable difference" but doesn't always.

The only dedicated 5.56 can I own is a Sierra 5 and it's a disappointment. Besides all the DA drama and potential that it may one day implode, it's really loud. The first day I picked it up from the dealer I shot it and that night I was contemplating selling it to someone in my state. I wish I bought the Polonium. But otherwise I agree with Redneck, unless you're looking for a super hard use can or simply don't want to ever swap the can around on different rifles, you're better off buying a 30 cal can that can be used more versatilely. The Dominus is a great example. I haven't shot my Dominus back to back on a 5.56 AR host with the S5, but I have shot the S5 round for round, back to back with my buddy's Dominus SR on 5.56 hosts and the his Dominus is quieter. The Dominus K is louder.

He said it "can make a measurable difference" but doesn't always.

The only dedicated 5.56 can I own is a Sierra 5 and it's a disappointment. Besides all the DA drama and potential that it may one day implode, it's really loud. The first day I picked it up from the dealer I shot it and that night I was contemplating selling it to someone in my state. I wish I bought the Polonium. But otherwise I agree with Redneck, unless you're looking for a super hard use can or simply don't want to ever swap the can around on different rifles, you're better off buying a 30 cal can that can be used more versatilely. The Dominus is a great example. I haven't shot my Dominus back to back on a 5.56 AR host with the S5, but I have shot the S5 round for round, back to back with my buddy's Dominus SR on 5.56 hosts and the his Dominus is quieter. The Dominus K is louder.
Dang, I should have put that above in my list. I have a Dominus K but is pretty loud on my 11.5.

Looks really good though. 😂

The polonium does interest me though. Or the ultra 5 in 6mm/6.5mm

As others seem to be implying…. The only use case in 2023 for a new dedicated 5.56 can I can think of is if you want low back pressure on a gas gun that you’re going to shoot rapidly. In that case go with the Huxwrx flow or Sico Velos. I have a Velos on a 416 upper, when fired full auto it’s great at reducing the gas in your face. For anything else in terms of range-based shooting or hunting that i can think of, the .30 or 6.5mm cans offer much more benefit than downside. You may lose a tiny bit of decibel reduction - probably practically unnoticeable when firing supersonic ammo in a gas gun with reciprocating bolt - and you gain a lot of versatility. With the additional tradoff of the .30 can likely being longer and/or heavier.

Last edited:
Dang, I should have put that above in my list. I have a Dominus K but is pretty loud on my 11.5.

Looks really good though. 😂

The polonium does interest me though. Or the ultra 5 in 6mm/6.5mm
I have an ultra5. I would honestly skip that can if you're looking for a multi-purpose suppressor. I really like it as a specialty can for lightweight hunting rifles but man it's fucking loud on AR's.

If you are looking for something in that size and weight direction of suppressors, maybe look at the silencerco scythe TI or an enticer STI

If you go to the Thunderbeast Arms silencer summit 2023 page, you can compare many of the cans and look at things like length and weight in addition to suppression. Then go to Pew Research and look at their data (no weight or length data). They don't always overlap due to different testing methodology and algorithms.

The Radical Defense, which is a low back pressure can, topped the list in TB's summit. They make them in inconel as well as a lighter titanium model, 3D printed. The company is out of the Houston area and I believe Capitol Armory is carrying them now. They come in two lengths with the longer version (obviously) testing better. The shorter version, the CS5, is almost identical in performance to the Polonium while being shorter, lighter and again, a low back pressure design.

The AAC Ranger 5 meets your criteria and came in just ahead of the Polonium. The Polonium isn't a bad choice for a standard baffle can given its price and length and 20/20 hindsight, I should have purchased it over the Sierra 5.

The AB A10 also tested well at the muzzle and they're super affordable. They fit the durability, suppression and length categories but it's also very light. Didn't do as well at the shooter's ear but apparently has really good flash suppression.

Diligent Defense is making exceptional standard baffle cans (I have their Enticer S) and they make something called the Wolf Hunter which is very light and likely very quiet based on their other cans. It's also a 6mm bore so it opens up the use of any of the 6mm cartridges (like the Polonium).

Ecco Machine makes a nice five baffle can that's also very affordable.

Energetic Arms has two new bomb-proof cans that are short, extremely light but not quiet from what I've read. But again, with ear pro, it'll definitely sound like it's being "silenced" with almost any can.

Anything in stainless (treated), inconel, cobalt, etc...is going to suffer less baffle erosion than titanium cans. But if you're not doing full mag dumps constantly, you'll be fine with titanium. Titanium can spark more but that usually subsides once the can is coated in a bit of carbon.

For anything else in terms of range-based shooting or hunting that i can think of, the .30 or 6.5mm cans offer much more benefit than downside. You lose a tiny bit of decibel reduction - probably practically unnoticeable when firing supersonic ammo in a gas gun with reciprocating bolt - and you gain a lot of versatility.
This again...

Name a dedicated 556 can that is quieter than an Enticer LTI, Thunderbeast 338 Ultra, OCL hydrogen L, or CGS Hyperion .... on the same host.

This again...

Name a dedicated 556 can that is quieter than an Enticer LTI, Thunderbeast 338 Ultra, OCL hydrogen L, or CGS Hyperion .... on the same host.
I appreciate attention to detail, so thank you. I’ll edit my post to say “may lose”. The point is, there is really very little or no real-world appreciable suppression difference between 5.56 dedicated and “good” overbored cans that you mention.

The difference I would point out is that you are mentioning mostly large volume, relatively long cans in comparison to dedicated 5.56 cans which are generally much smaller. That thunderbeast is 11” long, the OCL Hydrogen L is 9”. Velos is 6”, and most dedicated 5.56 cans are in that range. Not exactly apples-to-apples, but using either one can get you a great shooting experience.

The manufacturers have already made the trade-off decision for you here… big volume, long, quiet can for massive guns, smaller volume, shorter can for a more maneuverable 5.56 gun. I would posit that a purpose built, 5.56 can to the same dimensions as the larger bore cans would be quieter. Probably not to any practical degree, but perhaps measurably so in a perfectly controlled setting. As mentioned above regarding the Thunderbeast 6.5, not enough difference to warrant a 5.56 dedicated can in that line.

The science here has waaaaaaaaaay too many uncontrolled variables to allow direct comparisons at such a nit-picky level. And fortunately with the quality of cans out there, we don’t really need to.

I appreciate attention to detail, so thank you. I’ll edit my post to say “may lose”. The point is, there is really very little or no real-world appreciable suppression difference between 5.56 dedicated and “good” overbored cans that you mention.

The difference I would point out is that you are mentioning mostly large volume, relatively long cans in comparison to dedicated 5.56 cans which are generally much smaller. That thunderbeast is 11” long, the OCL Hydrogen L is 9”. Velos is 6”, and most dedicated 5.56 cans are in that range. Not exactly apples-to-apples, but using either one can get you a great shooting experience.

The manufacturers have already made the trade-off decision for you here… big volume, long, quiet can for massive guns, smaller volume, shorter can for a more maneuverable 5.56 gun. I would posit that a purpose built, 5.56 can to the same dimensions as the larger bore cans would be quieter. Probably not to any practical degree, but perhaps measurably so in the right setting.

The science here has waaaaaaaaaay too many uncontrolled variables to allow direct comparisons at such a nit-picky level. And fortunately with the quality of cans out there, we don’t really need to.
Nailed it. I don’t think I made my use case very clear and I don’t think many people read the previous posts, (I don’t expect them to because God knows I normally don’t).

My question could be stated more simply….”what is the best performing dedicated 5.56 can for an 11.5” AR used for NV/IR hunting?”

Looks like flow or OCL

The manufacturers have already made the trade-off decision for you here… big volume, long, quiet can for massive guns, smaller volume, shorter can for a more maneuverable 5.56 gun. I would posit that a purpose built, 5.56 can to the same dimensions as the larger bore cans would be quieter. Probably not to any practical degree, but perhaps measurably so in a perfectly controlled setting. As mentioned above regarding the Thunderbeast 6.5, not enough difference to warrant a 5.56 dedicated can in that line.

Ya, I agree with most everything you said. .223 bored Magnus's and Hyperions don't exist. So "all things being equal" is theoretical and not a practical consideration. It absolutely is Apples vs Oranges. Hence why a multi-purpose .30 cal can will be more versatile and probably still quieter than a dedicated can.

Nailed it. I don’t think I made my use case very clear and I don’t think many people read the previous posts, (I don’t expect them to because God knows I normally don’t).

My question could be stated more simply….”what is the best performing dedicated 5.56 can for an 11.5” AR used for NV/IR hunting?”

Looks like flow or OCL
A Dominus is hard enough use for your 11.5" AR and still quieter than a dedicated 5.56 can.

I scrolled through pretty quickly, but I don’t think I saw anyone mention the new Surefire RC3. Big Tex Ordnance have been putting out videos of it on their YouTube, and I believe Jay at pew science will be starting his testing on it soon.

• Haha
Which 556 cans are you running?
I have a 7" Templar Tactical that I run on a DTA .223, larger than I would want on my AR platforms. Dont' notice the size much on the bullpup. Its old tech though the size does provide good noise reduction on the .223. I also have 2 Flow 5.56's on my main AR's I really like the Flows. I am in the camp of shorter, lighter and less crud in my magazines vs absolute dB reduction but I find the Flows have good sound suppression though that wasn't my main criteria. Before I got the Flows as dedicated AR cans I ran a SAS 6.5 barricade in the same role mainly because I have one for my hunting rifle. I am addicted to how clean the platform is after a night of shooting yotes vs before when everything in the mag had a layer of carbon on it. It did spark a fair amount until I had run maybe 3 mags through it. One nice thing this thread shows is that unlike when i got into suppressors a dozen years ago their are a lot of really good choices out there.

Reactions: godofthunder
I have a 7" Templar Tactical that I run on a DTA .223, larger than I would want on my AR platforms. Dont' notice the size much on the bullpup. Its old tech though the size does provide good noise reduction on the .223. I also have 2 Flow 5.56's on my main AR's I really like the Flows. I am in the camp of shorter, lighter and less crud in my magazines vs absolute dB reduction but I find the Flows have good sound suppression though that wasn't my main criteria. Before I got the Flows as dedicated AR cans I ran a SAS 6.5 barricade in the same role mainly because I have one for my hunting rifle. I am addicted to how clean the platform is after a night of shooting yotes vs before when everything in the mag had a layer of carbon on it. It did spark a fair amount until I had run maybe 3 mags through it. One nice thing this thread shows is that unlike when i got into suppressors a dozen years ago their are a lot of really good choices out there.
Thanks for the feedback. I am looking more into the flow now.

I have a Templar/Crux and mine has been surprisingly good. I have been lucky and not had the issues of many.

I got the DTA .223 through Mark at SAC and I love that thing.

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking more into the flow now.

I have a Templar/Crux and mine has been surprisingly good. I have been lucky and not had the issues of many.

I got the DTA .223 through Mark at SAC and I love that thing.
Yessir. One of my favorite guns. My TT's (I have a 9" 7.62 Archangel) have been very good for me. The 7.62 has had a bunch of 30WM rounds on it. I still have considered having Ecco recore/sleeve them but they both have seen a bunch of use and not cracked. Don't know whether I am lucky and a crack is unavoidable or if they have not cracked yet I am good???
I have been impressed enough with the Flow 5.56 on gas guns that I bought a Flow 7.62 for my big gas gun. They are definitely little back pressure.....I run the gas block on unsuppressed.

Unbelievably, Silencer Shop is offering free tax stamps on the Flow 762 (back ordered). It's listed at $100 more than Capitol Armory so you're really just saving $100. But still, $100 is $100. Search around for the best price on the muzzle devices.

Yessir. One of my favorite guns. My TT's (I have a 9" 7.62 Archangel) have been very good for me. The 7.62 has had a bunch of 30WM rounds on it. I still have considered having Ecco recore/sleeve them but they both have seen a bunch of use and not cracked. Don't know whether I am lucky and a crack is unavoidable or if they have not cracked yet I am good???
I have been impressed enough with the Flow 5.56 on gas guns that I bought a Flow 7.62 for my big gas gun. They are definitely little back pressure.....I run the gas block on unsuppressed.
So I dropped my 7” Crux muzzle down on concrete years ago. It was on my 26” MTU 338 Lapua. Needless to say, it was a heavy rifle with scope and all. It only fell a foot or so but I thought I really messed up the can. So far so good. Had a little wear on the coating but no dent.

Had many rounds of .338 Lapua on a bolty and hundreds on my .308 gas gun. No cracks yet. We may be in the clear. 😂