• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Lathe advise?

Rlbol

Master Gunnery Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
FL
Without getting to crazy on buying a new machine can the experts offer a little advise? I currently have a 11x36 Logan with 1ph 3/4 hp 110v motor.
It has been a good lathe but low on power and with a flat leather belt I seem to really be limited by slipping.
The machine will be used 40% for turning barrels and threading the rest for making parts and such. Nothing very large or to difficult.
I have a chance to pick up a nice 13” southbend with hardened ways and a good amount of extras including collet sets that I currently do not have. It is powered by a 1.5 hp 3 phase motor with a vfd. The other option I have been contemplating is just to find a nice clousing in 13” range. I like the apron setup on them with power and clutch controls.

Thanks for any advise in advance and please give me the pros and cons of the machines and why you would go one route or the other.

Both are good machines. Choose the one you like best. Both are very capable.

I tend to be less thrifty than most. I like to spend my money on quality gear and am willing to pay a premium for quality.

Both of the lathes your considering are quality machines. I think you should get the one you really want, even if it costs more.

Those two machines are comparable, but not being familiar with the specifics of each, models, years made, etc, its hard to give definitive advice.

It sounds like you already have a preference in mind. Id go with that preference. You'll acquire the extra tooling as you need it.

Some guys will go with the best priced option, but i lean towards buying what i like.

Its your money, and you only live once.

Last edited:
I have a quality 13”x40” with a 40mm spindle bore and 3hp three phase motor. The only thing I would change is the spindle bore. A 50mm spindle bore would require bigger stronger bearings and allow me to chamber 1.75” barrels through the head stock.

Cheers,

Do you work through the spindle for barrel work, or between centers? Depending on the model Clausing you're looking at- check spindle bore size and length if you chamber that way. If you work between centers, that becomes irrelevant and bed length is what you want.
As a SB fan, I'd say give it a serious look if it's the large spindle model of the 13 (5c capable). Every bit the smithing lathe that the heavy 10 is- and the fact that it's larger makes them a bit less popular for the "basement shop" machinist and prices more reasonable. Support for SB is still very good- the 13 doesn't have the parts availability of the 9 or 10, but what you need can often be found. And SB's are SOOO simple, easy to diagnose and repair in the unlikely event you have an issue.

Hard bed is a plus, but you still need to run under power and do some test cuts. Remember, the bed is hardened, but the saddle ain't.... and it will wear.

To me, the choice would be largely based on condition, as both are capable machines if reasonably tight.

I prefer to thread thru the headstock.
I would like to be able to thread up 1.75” for AI AXMC barrels however I have been unable to find much in lathes that are still a reasonable size with such a large bore diameter.

I don’t mind spending money on a good lathe. In my little research and experience it seams like you go from a couple thousand dollars for an older lathe that will need work to 20k for a new one. I don’t mind doing the work however if someone knows of a better model or company please let me know!

I would also love to know what everyone’s ultimate lathe is? What do the professional run? Tooley? GAP?
If money was not a factor and you didn’t want to go full CNC what would you buy?

I do see the appeal of the south bend in simplicity as well as what seems like a huge amount of parts and accessories readily available.

I prefer to thread thru the headstock.
I would like to be able to thread up 1.75” for AI AXMC barrels however I have been unable to find much in lathes that are still a reasonable size with such a large bore diameter.

I don’t mind spending money on a good lathe. In my little research and experience it seams like you go from a couple thousand dollars for an older lathe that will need work to 20k for a new one. I don’t mind doing the work however if someone knows of a better model or company please let me know!

I would also love to know what everyone’s ultimate lathe is? What do the professional run? Tooley? GAP?
If money was not a factor and you didn’t want to go full CNC what would you buy?

I do see the appeal of the south bend in simplicity as well as what seems like a huge amount of parts and accessories readily available.

Precision Matthews 1440 GT has a 2” spindle bore. If not that exact model I know they have a 14” lathe that does. Appear to be good Taiwan machines. Under $10k new.

I use an old Rockwell 11” lathe. Has served me well but trying to figure out how I’m going to chamber a 16” carbon barrel as it’s too short for my headstock and I don’t have a steady. May try that unrigid Viper fixture I don’t want to use.

It seems from my research that once you cross the threshold of spindle bore 1.57" the price increases dramatically.

Unless you plan to thread a lot of 1.75 AI barrels you would be money ahead purchasing a lathe with bore that would accommodate
the majority of your work. But if you need or want the 2" bore the cost will be reflected in your purchase.

I have been looking for a good used lathe at a good price and it appears these 2 items rarely exist together, unless
you are Very lucky to snag one.

JMHO

@Rlbol HAAS tool room cnc lathes are popular professionals due to price, performance and the CNC control.

@Rlbol and @jetmd. If sticking to a manual machine and used - clausing 17x60's and Mori-Seki (and the Korean and Taiwanese Clones) lathes are ones to look at hard if you have the space, can provide the electrical power and it wasn't worn the f out in an abusive environment.They are awesome machines, often in the more than 5 K but less than 12k range. It is unlikely that you well ever need more machine....

Last edited:
Reactions: MrSmith
If the choice is between those two and only those two machines, condition would be my main concern. Trying to hold tolerances or get decent surface finish on a floppy, wallered out, machine is frustrating to the extreme. My tired old 16" Voest reminds me of this sad fact me every time I fire it up.

Even the best ADVICE that someone can ADVISE you is somewhat subjective. My free ADVICE is the Grizzly Gunsmith lathe.

In 2014, I faced a similar delimma. I looked for recommendations from a few benchrest gunsmiths that I know. Several of them used the Taiwanese mfg Kents, among them Mike Bryant and John Beanland who both used the TRL13x 40. This is the nearly identical lathe sold by grizzly under their Southbend badge. In fact, I would later download, from Grizzly, the excellent SB manual.

http://www.kentusa.com/lathes-2/manual-precision-series/

The spindle bore is 1-1/2”, which is fine for the work we do. This lathe is used daily in our shop. The bearings will run +/- .0001” a big improvement over the SB it replaced. We have since purchased a second TRL for another project.

JP

Where are you located? Being close to grizzly would make this decision easier.

We live about 5 hour from Griz HQ. Bought a 14x40 lathe and brought it down. Buddy screwed up the install and it had to go back for replacement. Was cheap due to location and easy to get replacement parts/grizz tech to come work on it.

Most american iron is clapped out shit. The ones that aren't clapped out, are snatched up for a pretty penny.

My advice would be, get a new grizzly or PM with the features you want. If you can afford it, the South Bends from grizzly are super nice. We used them in our 3rd and 4th semester of machining class after the instructors knew we weren't idiots and would wreck them.

If I was buying a new machine today, it would be a South Bend.