• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Law Enforcement Officers Please Note

Re: Law Enforcement Officers Please Note

You are correct, had a local report here asd well - enjoy your DOD securityclearance? Better watch what goes on facebook.

And note, if your DAUGHTER, much likem ine, makes as ass ofherself, much like mine, THAT TOO can come back to bite you in the *ss.

I am contemplating nuking my facebook page..

I don't have one, never have, and I never want one. Same goes for Tweeters, and all that rot.

And yes, I do have friends. Real ones whom I can call for a hand. Quite often though, we're already together getting into mischief.

Function over fashion, each and every time.

Ain't just facebook or yourspace, anything you post on ANY internet board, like here, can be used against you in court.
We recently had to institute a "net" policy about postings at our department, due to a recent court ruling that left no doubts about it.
Such is life.

RJ writes:
"Well what I'm seeing is that training is not keeping up with technology."

This is so true here.

It took a court case where a woman officer in another department was scantily dressed in a police shirt on herpage and she got disciplined for it under the morality code.
She sued because she said it violated her rights to an outside life. The courts disagreed and said the department had an expectation to control certain areas of outside life and said a reasonable policy covered the departments.
The international association of chiefs did a blanket type policy for all to use and strongly suggested that all departments adopt one.

I don't have the case available right now or a link to it, but, the thing goes deeper than herspace, herpage, and internet boards, it also covered twitter, any text messages, and any other form of written or visual form of electronic communications sent over the internet or other public communications networks.

Many departments are not up to speed on criminal prosecution of offenders who use these medias, much less policing their own over it. We don't catch the smart ones, theirs or ours.

And it isn't just about the police, any one of us here who posts an edge of the line semi racial/sexist/politically incorrect cartoon or joke can see it anywhere in the future.
Shoot someone unlike you and then have them present your "joke" post from Snipershide and watch all your assets drain away. Its real and sickening. We will see more and more of this.

Our girls are now 23 and 24, but when they started high school, we told them, "If you don't want to see it on the Internet, don't do it."

Good advice, as your story demonstrates.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of nurses and doctors getting canned for the same reason. </div></div> See below..

JHuskey wrote:
"I don't have the case available right now or a link to it, but, the thing goes deeper than herspace, herpage, and internet boards, it also covered twitter, any text messages, and any other form of written or visual form of electronic communications sent over the internet or other public communications networks."

On the same Quinlan Press Reporter page (where they send out the advisories about the case I mentioned), there was another case listed where a nurse posted some pictures on line of a patient that had done something stupid, like we see sometimes here of the guy who shot himself in the hand/foot/groin, etc, and the hospital got sued and lost even though they had a policy in place AND had fired the nurse for her violation of the policy.

There was a another case there where a defendant got freed because another officer, not the arresting officer, posted about an arrest, and what he posted was closer to the truth than what the arresting officer testified to in court, and it was on hisspace. The police department paid out big bucks.

And there was a case where an officer put out a youtube with the car camera scene and the defendant was roughed up, and you guessed it, lost law suit and job because the testimony was not the same as the youtube shit.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Damn all that shit.

Even worse than that, how'd you like to be a "hot girl friends" poster here facing a sexual harassment charge at work, and the other side have some of the posts and comments from here by the person charged...

I frequently ask about on-line activity during the Discovery process and I have a set of Interrogatories that specifically target e-mail and on-line networking site usage. You'd be surprised at how many people say one thing but do another. For a police officer, your credibility is key to the usefulness of your testimony. If your reputation for honesty and truthfulness are seriously damaged your testimony will be of little use to a prosecutor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I frequently ask about on-line activity during the Discovery process and I have a set of Interrogatories that specifically target e-mail and on-line networking site usage. You'd be surprised at how many people say one thing but do another. For a police officer, your credibility is key to the usefulness of your testimony. If your reputation for honesty and truthfulness are seriously damaged your testimony will be of little use to a prosecutor. </div></div>

Damn, once again you are 100% correct sir!!!
cool.gif

The internet HAS made it alot easier to do background checks on potential employee's.

I just graduated a POST academy, and the first thing we were told when we started was that if ANYTHING was on the internet in regards to the academy (pictures, videos, etc..) that we would be canned immediately. Going through backgrounds I was asked for my facebook, twitter, etc.

I was re-acquainted w/ a HS buddy about 6 mos ago. In the process of discussing where we had been, what we had done, it came out that he was an internet background investigator!!!!!

Our conversation was most enlightening as to the number and ways that investigators (public NOT police/Fed etc) were able to catch up on where you had been where you hung out on the internet and ALL the accounts associated with your IP address or your IP address at work.

If you think you have an ultra scooby secret e-mail account you had better not access it from home or work. Folks can find you. I was impressed at what he found on me and he said I was one of the "cleanest" he had ever run across. He was able to pull up e-mail adx's that I had forgotten I had AND passwords. Bank accounts are pretty damn easy to access and firewalls aren't worth a damn on WiFi.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Doc

Its all about deflecting blame for ones actions, especially those that are guilty as hell. Think OJ.

Very good advice to avoid Social Networking sites.

Everytime something like this comes up I remember what my very first Shift Sergeant told us during orientation,
"Alway try to imagine how you're gonna sound explaining this in court."