• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Learning resources for home defense strategy.

Gregor.Samsa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2019
    NorCal
    I’ve been thinking a lot about this lately, especially in light of our current situation. My home is situated on a hillside, 3ish storeys Most of the home’s perimeter is surrounded by large windows or sliding glass doors. This is great for taking in the views and subsequently terrible in my estimation for securing a secure strategic position for defending myself and family. Lots of easy points of entry and would be really challenging if multiple intruders entering from different locations. I have no LE or military background so I’m wondering what a good resources exist that would help to learn and develop a plan and defense strategy. I’m not looking for legal advice or ramifications just tactics and logistics. Thanks for the knowledge.

Going to be tricky without knowledge of your particular arrangement and family locations, which I wouldn’t advocate sharing online. I have made a conscious effort to keep my family on one sideof the house and all the normally stolen garbage (TVs, computers, old I pad, small amount of visible cash) on the other with a single locked door (choke point) between. Take all the TVs you want and I don’t care, attempt to open my door and you have stated your intent in the middle of a known safe shooting lane.

Cameras are good, the popular thing now is to have them tied to an app on your phone, but I don’t want to fumble with an app at 2am when I heard a noise and my phone is doing an update, i want a clear picture of how many of what are where and what they have with them, immediately. Cameras are life support systems in a break in and it needs to stand alone or the phone app should be a secondary function to a portable monitor. Both the cameras and the monitor need to have a battery power supply that functions in the event the power is out. Would suggest a non recording model detached from WiFi for inside the house.

on an unrelated and possibly obnoxious side note, take a look at your homes fire safety setup too. fires are more likely than break ins and most people don’t pay any attention to it; smoke detectors in living spaces, appropriately sized and correct type of fire extinguishers in the kitchen, laundry room, near breaker box, And garage will go along way to giving you a chance out. If you live on the top floor, have a way down through a window that doesn’t involve an uncontrolled fall. Local fire department is usually very happy to assess and make suggestions.

its a shame traps are totally illegal as forms of home defense , trip wires and pits , covered fire traps even trap doors that open to allow those caught out , electricity that stuns , are still illegal darn. honest Mr . police officer what Jehovah witnesses I did not see any Jehovah witnesses at my door that noise must be the neighbors cats fighting again . Oh all the cars around the neighborhood , they must have been abandoned lol at least they can't make dreams illegal yet .

1597045913606.png

Going to be tricky without knowledge of your particular arrangement and family locations, which I wouldn’t advocate sharing online. I have made a conscious effort to keep my family on one sideof the house and all the normally stolen garbage (TVs, computers, old I pad, small amount of visible cash) on the other with a single locked door (choke point) between. Take all the TVs you want and I don’t care, attempt to open my door and you have stated your intent in the middle of a known safe shooting lane.

Cameras are good, the popular thing now is to have them tied to an app on your phone, but I don’t want to fumble with an app at 2am when I heard a noise and my phone is doing an update, i want a clear picture of how many of what are where and what they have with them, immediately. Cameras are life support systems in a break in and it needs to stand alone or the phone app should be a secondary function to a portable monitor. Both the cameras and the monitor need to have a battery power supply that functions in the event the power is out. Would suggest a non recording model detached from WiFi for inside the house.

on an unrelated and possibly obnoxious side note, take a look at your homes fire safety setup too. fires are more likely than break ins and most people don’t pay any attention to it; smoke detectors in living spaces, appropriately sized and correct type of fire extinguishers in the kitchen, laundry room, near breaker box, And garage will go along way to giving you a chance out. If you live on the top floor, have a way down through a window that doesn’t involve an uncontrolled fall. Local fire department is usually very happy to assess and make suggestions.

Thank you all for the responses. The tough part is the floor plan is pretty open so choke points are tough with the excetption of the ground level. My daughters are upstairs so my proiority would be getting them to saftey or keeping anyone from going up. Fire is a huge risk where I live so I have that outlined fairly well. window ladders in each bedroom etc. I'm going to see if there are any classes that cover this. Not looking to go full mall-ninja, just trying to have my shit together.

When it comes to 'home security' remember the "Three M's"

Moats
    Minefields
    Missiles

Use the missiles when they are 'far away' to prevent them from getting close.
    Use the Minefields for those few who happen to get through the barrage, and are 'closer'.
    Use the Moat to prevent anyone still hobbling, from getting to your actual house.

Aside from that, I will say that I have (in the past) replaced all the windows in my house with "laminated glass" for obvious reasons. There are other things that one could do, but the point of not speaking of it all on the innerwebz is what makes things effectiver.

Moats
    Minefields
    Missiles

Use the Minefields for those few who happen to get through the barrage, and are 'closer'.
    Use the Moat to prevent anyone still hobbling, from getting to your actual house.

Aside from that, I will say that I have (in the past) replaced all the windows in my house with "laminated glass" for obvious reasons. There are other things that one could do, but the point of not speaking of it all on the innerwebz is what makes things effectiver.

Effectiver? Is that like more gooder? Hopefully you don’t trigger somebody and force an even more epic suicide thread. But I’m good if you do!

• Haha
    Reactions: Sean the Nailer

Great advice and the only thing I could add is that I keep a large commercial fire extinguisher 30lb ish in the closet in the master bedroom. Use the small ones around the appliances but have a big bastard to carry with you if you have to get out of the house. Empty FEs do you no good. Think 30 round mags taped together verses a 5 rounder.... keep a fire blanket in the closet too if you want.

Moats
    Minefields
    Missiles

I'm ashamed of you. You forgot Jerry's fourth 'M'... more ammo :)

You don't like triple strand concertina and tangle foot??

Sector sketches, identify likely avenues of approach, dead zones (areas people can move in that you can't observe whether it is either via cover or concealment), know the distances and rages to these features. Have your fire extinguishers ready.
    sector1.gif
    😁😁

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
    So you can start from the outside.

Be the bad guy. Leave the place, sneak in, see what you can see. Where are the defiles that may cover/conceal approaches? Where are the good cover positions someone could shoot at your house from? Where is the best approach? Is there geographic features that can help you? I.e, a cliff on one side- you probably aren't going to be flanked from there.

Get an eye to the ground first. Then start figuring out how to negate those 'sweet spots' that someone may use against you.

For less than a full TEOTWAWKI mad max type of deal- do you have fencing, clearly marked gates, no trespassing signs, etc? You may have to defend your actions in court. And some now deceased future Cancer Cure inventor's momma is going to be saying how her baby was just lost and seeing assistance when that terrible man attacked him unprovoked. When you can state how he climbed over/cut two fences, went past 3 no trespassing signs, shot the dogs and then come up the house with a gun in his hand, it will tend to break down the "my babies was lost" type of non sense. Read the room/country, this is the kind of dumb shit that is happening right now. Got to be prepared for that end of it also.

Good fencing, 4' farm field topped with a stand or two of barbed wire usually won't look out of place.

Identify your primary routes of approach, see what you can do for early warning on those- Seismics, MURS Dakota Alerts and similar devices alert you without alerting the bad guy that he's been made. Much different than the "whizz whizz woo woo!" type noisemakers, trip wires, dogs, etc. These all let the trespasser know he's been compromised. Smart person will back off, cut a flank and just watch to see your response. With Seismics, Dakota Alerts, etc. they don't know they've been made and walk right into... you get the idea.

Sounds like your house is a nightmare with all the glass, etc. Oh well can't do much about that after the fact. If your dead serious you may want to invest in some plexiglass/lexan type replacements where feasible. If your in a cold climate it would suck to be there with all the major windows shot out and trying to stay warm.

With all that glass, consider european style Roll Up Shutters on your ground floor. These can be energy savers as well as enhance security. Good one's are hurricane proof.

With all that glass, consider european style Roll Up Shutters on your ground floor. These can be energy savers as well as enhance security. Good one's are hurricane proof.

I remember those at my grandmothers house in Germany. Those things were awesome.

Reactions: Slo cat
    What’s the threat?

Home invasions for the purpose of burglary are one thing, and normally happen during the day when you’re gone.

We’re looking at something different now where during a communist takeover, a series of coordinated actions happen starting with election fraud, roving gangs of youth murder squads who build their confidence in the countryside, then work towards the cities with campaigns while the comrades in control of national government stand the police and military down, then use the new police and military against the citizenry.

One of the most devastating weapons you have to defend against has already been mentioned here, and it’s extremely hard to deal with as a lone family.

I never discuss my own personal protective posture in the open, but decades of experience with how to ID and assess threats, set-up defenses (from OPFOR and foreign armies who actually know how to do it), spending time in a lot of countries where people with money make their residences hard targets, plus thinking outside of the box...are what inform my thoughts on it.

Preventing certain things from penetrating your residence should be at the top of your priority list.

The overall driving philosophy behind the defense for me is to be creative. Make it a series of fun things to ruin the threat’s options for approaching, attacking, damaging, breeching, entering, and harming you inside of your residence. Think proactively rather than reactively, and be fluid. I’m purposely speaking vaguely, not to hide inexperience, but to protect myself and my family.