• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leave Rifle Cocked Or Not?

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
What is the better way to leave your rifle? I know guys that leave it cocked and ready, and also people that dry fire the rifle and leave it like that. I'm guessing that is to take strain off the firing pin assembly or something. So which is better for the rifle?

Re: Leave Rifle Cocked Or Not?

The issue would be the striker spring, which I prefer to store in the relaxed position. You can relax the striker by dry firing it, but I prefer not to dry fire rimfires.

Cocked and ready confuses me. If it's with a loaded chamber, there's a safety issue. If it's with an empty chamber, what purpose does that serve?

I decock my bolt actions by raising the bolt handle completely up, then slowly lowering it again with the trigger fully depressed.

I don't dry fire in the usual sense. I leave the rifle uncocked and simply draw the trigger smoothly rearward until it contacts its rearmost travel. When it contacts the stop, this is a discrete event which serves as much purpose, for me, as hearing/feeling the sear release, and that's good enough for my purposes, but no mechanical wear is likely.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I decock my bolt actions by raising the bolt handle completely up, then slowly lowering it again with the trigger fully depressed.

Greg </div></div>

I too do this to leave mine in a relaxed state though I do dry fire for practice.

My question would be can you do this with rimfires withought causing a firing pin strike?

I think so, it seems it works with all the ones I own. I believe the striker rides the cocking cam surface, but only actually strikes a rim/chamber flange under inertia when the sear releases it to fly freely.

For the 10/22, I pull the cocking lever back, then bring it forward again with the trigger depressed. I believe this allows the hammer to ride the bolt as it returns into battery.

Last empty case in the chamber for me, decocked.

Just like magazines, leaving the striker spring compressed does not fatigue it. Cycling it between compressed and relaxed does.

We always stored our M40's with the bolts removed. So the striker stayed in the cocked position. I never saw a striker spring worn out.

I am not an engineer, that is just info I have been given by them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So seems most leave it decocked. ^ Why the last empty case? </div></div>

I've heard many times that while dry firing a centerfire rifle/handgun is typically not hard on them that dry firing a rimfire can be. I don't remember the exact reason but it could be the firing pin hitting the rim of the breech that supports the rimfire cartridge can damage either the pin or breech or both if there is not an empty casing in there. So typically the easy route is to take a fire rimfire shell and rotate it so the pin hits a fresh part of the case rim.

I usually just pull the trigger in before lowering the bolt all the way. I don't hear any movement like it is dry firing so I assume that's the safest way (with regard to mechanical stress/wear). Am I right?

I was also thinking about just leaving the bolt out (I take it out to clean). But that would keep it in the cocked position, correct? Does anyone have any definitive knowledge on whether that is "bad" for the gun?

The reason that dry firing a Rimfire is not a good idea is because of the inertia the striker assembly has as it travels forward. On most 22's there's enough room between the firing pin nose and the breech face. But every once in awhile you get a 22 with a long firing pin and it will strike the breech face. That's were the troubles start. I just spent about three hours this week fixing a 22 that someone had dry fired to the point the chamber was damaged and a 22 shell would not feed anymore. The things that can happen are the firing pin nose will become blunted and miss fire, firing pin could break (I've seen this its not BS), or you peen the breech face until you distort the chamber itself. The latter is what I was faced with this week. You can't just run a reamer in and clean it up either. As the materal on the damaged side will cause the reamer to cut out the good side and you end up with a egg shaped chamber. Not a big deal on a 60 dollar wally world gun but not good if you shooting groups in a 2000 dollar set up. Dry fire on a empty and turn it to a clean part of the rim each time. The brass takes the beating and your rifle will love you for it.

Donald

I store my rifles with the firing pin relaxed, and I never dry fire. Like the others here have mentioned I to let the bolt down while holding the tigger.

Semi-auto is another story. I let the bolt slide forward slowly while holding the trigger down and I do hear a click.

Ruger's cleaning video of the 10/22 simply mentions/shows pulling the trigger and dry firing it when your cleaning is complete and your rifle reasembled.

Still, I can not bring myself to dry fire a rimfire, or center fire for that matter, or my flint and percussion lock firearms, or any bow... I think that covers what I have.

Just me...
smile.gif

I know it doesn't cover rimfire, but I use snap caps in all my centerfires.

I relax all of my bolts when the rifle are in the safe.

Gun laws where im from require bolts to be locked away sepperately from the rifle so for me this means removing the bolts and manually depressing the tension, rather than holding the trigger down and lower the bolt handle.

On the savage 93, to release the bolt tension you simply pull back on the foot of the bolt until the round bit can be lowered down the ramp... you must then manually pull it back up in order to put the bolt back into the action.

The remington 700 bolts are easy... just grab the foot of the bolt and twist it until the firing pin is at ease. You can see it poke thru the firing pin hole

Dryfiring a rimfire except for a Kimber rimfire rifle the firing pin strikes the surface of the breech and it will peene the surface of the breech and eventually will break the firing pin or striker if you prefer. Kimbers bolts are drilled off center so that the striker doesn't strike the face of the breech. Anschutz may be like Kimbers too..but I cannot verify that for sure. So keeping the last fired round in an semiauto is a good idea so you can fire it against the softer brass vs the breech face.

As for my last empty case comment, I just stop shooting and remove the mag. That way it's decocked, and no need to refire on an empty shell or snap cap. Just convenient for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Gun laws where im from require bolts to be locked away sepperately from the rifle so for me this means removing the bolts and manually depressing the tension, rather than holding the trigger down and lower the bolt handle.
</div></div>

^ Interesting. I've never heard of that.

As for now I'm using the method of holding the trigger down while closing the bolt. Seems to be the most popular.

I store all of my firearms with springs relaxed. Feel free to dryfire your centerfire guns all day long. Good training too.

Rimfires are different, as discussed above. Check your .22 chamber. If it has a counterbored chamber (as many do these days), you are probably safe to drop the firing pin for storage. If not, use the fire case to take the impact of the firing pin.

And...the reason to leave the fired case in the rifle is...if another person is admiring it and cocks and pulls the trigger...no bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I store my rifles with the firing pin relaxed, and I never dry fire. Like the others here have mentioned I to let the bolt down while holding the tigger. </div></div>

I do the same

Same here, all calibers.
Most admiring anything I have its finger off the trigger and definitely no cycling.

Having worked in a gunshop, I saw several old .22 rifles come through the door with severe burrs on the chamber from <span style="font-style: italic">excessive</span> dry firing. Some wouldn't even chamber a round.

Believe Brownells carries a chamber iron to remove the burr. Simple "L" shaped tool worth its weight in gold.

Snap caps or an empty case can be used. I've seen several 22s with burs on the edge of the chamber from dry firing, including a fine Dimondback Colt.

I store all my weapons in the relaxed position. I don't think dry firing is good for the weapon unless you use a snap cap or something soft for the firing pin to strike. I do like others and hold the trigger as I close the bolt.

Just learned a new trick over a Rimfirecentral.com Went to Home Depot and picked up a 100ct box of #4-6 yellow Dry Wall Anchors for $3..... Exact same size as a .22 round, ejects perfectly everytime and can be used a dry firing round for like ten times per anchor. Every time I'm done shooting now I just drop in a plastic anchor and let the hammer fall safely onto the platic, saves the firing pin and the chamber wall. Can't beat the price either @ 100 for $3

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sigma2chi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just learned a new trick over a Rimfirecentral.com Went to Home Depot and picked up a 100ct box of #4-6 yellow Dry Wall Anchors for $3..... Exact same size as a .22 round, ejects perfectly everytime and can be used a dry firing round for like ten times per anchor. Every time I'm done shooting now I just drop in a plastic anchor and let the hammer fall safely onto the platic, saves the firing pin and the chamber wall. Can't beat the price either @ 100 for $3 </div></div>

That is the coolest idea ever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For the 10/22, I pull the cocking lever back, then bring it forward again with the trigger depressed. I believe this allows the hammer to ride the bolt as it returns into battery. </div></div>

Sorry, Greg, but this won't work, on a 10/22 or any other semi-auto firearm. When you retract the bolt, then pull the trigger, the hammer/striker/whatever will be retained by the disconnecter, and when the trigger is released the sear will engage.

If it didn't, you would have a full-auto weapon - because the above description is just what happens whether the bolt is retracted by manual pressure or by recoil force.

With a stock 10/22 I can pull the bolt back just before it reaches the disconnect, pull the trigger and drop the hammer onto the bolt, then allow the bolt to come forward on the hammer spring tension.

I have my wife's grandmother's Remington 34 made in 1932. Except for during shooting it has been stored cocked since the day it left the Remington factory. 78 years of tension on the firing pin spring have not bothered it a bit. I also have my grandfather's Marlin 81DL. I have no idea when it was made as Marlin didn't feel the need to serial number .22s back then but I imagine it was made in the 50s. It's been stored the same way as the 34. No problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sigma2chi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just learned a new trick over a Rimfirecentral.com Went to Home Depot and picked up a 100ct box of #4-6 yellow Dry Wall Anchors for $3..... Exact same size as a .22 round, ejects perfectly everytime and can be used a dry firing round for like ten times per anchor. Every time I'm done shooting now I just drop in a plastic anchor and let the hammer fall safely onto the platic, saves the firing pin and the chamber wall. Can't beat the price either @ 100 for $3 </div></div>

That is pretty damn cool.

the reason people leave the firing pin uncocked is to sustain the strength of the spring that pushes the firing pin forwards. the best thing to do to uncokc is definately not dry firing <span style="color: #FF0000">(pulling the trigger without a bullet being in the breach)</span> it as u can break the spring easily on small bore rifles correct me if im wrong. the best way to uncock your rifle is to put an empty shell casing in the breach and squeeze off the trigger and just leave the casing in there until the next time u get your rifle out. again correct me if i am wrong

or you can pull the bolt back, then hold your trigger down and push the bolt back in while holding the trigger down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or you can pull the bolt back, then hold your trigger down and push the bolt back in while holding the trigger down. </div></div>

As previously stated that will not work on a semi-auto.

I also store all of mine, rimfire and centerfire, in the relaxed position.

All you have to do for a semi-auto is to pull the bolt back approximately 1/4" out of battery. You can then pull the trigger and drop the hammer. I've been doing it for 28 years on my 10-22 and the same method works on my GSG-5 and virtually every other rimfire semi-auto that I've fired. The same method works for most centerfire semi-auto rifles as well. If you pull the bolt all the way to rear and then pull the trigger and ride the bolt home into battery, it won't drop the hammer unless it's a defective semi-auto or full auto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sigma2chi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just learned a new trick over a Rimfirecentral.com Went to Home Depot and picked up a 100ct box of #4-6 yellow Dry Wall Anchors for $3..... Exact same size as a .22 round, ejects perfectly everytime and can be used a dry firing round for like ten times per anchor. Every time I'm done shooting now I just drop in a plastic anchor and let the hammer fall safely onto the platic, saves the firing pin and the chamber wall. Can't beat the price either @ 100 for $3</div></div>

Be careful doing this. I used to use plastic snap caps in my .22 rifles to prevent damaging the chamber. But the harder plastics will split radially along the rim after a couple of strikes, and then you're back to hitting your chamber. Having to open the bolt and rotate the plastic snap cap or drywall anchor every couple of trigger pulls seems like more trouble than it's worth. An empty brass shell is much more durable and will protect your chamber for dozens of repeated strikes on the same spot.

Well, this is really only an issue for dry-fire practice. For storage, no worries.

Greg </div></div>

Same decock procedure for me too. Cant see why you would keep it or any rifle cocked in storage.