• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee Challenger press vs. RCBS RockChucker Jr. vs. ?????

boisepaw

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2020
Queenstown, MD
I have been using a Lee Challenger press out of the Lee 50th Anniversary Reloading Kit for seating my bullets and have been using an old RCBS RockChucker Jr. press for depriming and re-sizing.

Is there any reason to go with a different press for either of those functions? Would I get better results if I am trying to load (308, 6CM, 243, 270, 30.06) for longer range accuracy or will those presses do everything I need? I've never worked with anything else...anything better.

IMO both those presses are sufficient. I load on either a rock checker or a Lyman turret press. No problem loading sub .5 moa ammo.

Reactions: spife7980
I size and seat on my Challnger breech lock. When it wears out, I'll be going with a Forster Coax I think. But otherwise, I have no issues using that press with my forster dies to make excellent ammo. Save money and load more ammo til they finally give out.

I have the Lee press and have not had any issues. I think it is really all about the quality of dies you are using.

I think the dies tell most of the story. They really don't care too much what it was that just shoved that piece of brass up their ass up to a point until you are making really precise ammo.
At that point I would go with the RCBS only because I am more familiar with that.
Either will do the job as long as they are straight and true going in, and if you are at all like me the ammo will shoot better than you can if charge weights are all the same but your charge weights would have been the same for either I would hope.
I use a Rockchucker but have a well worn Jr. also.

Last edited:
I think the dies tell most of the story. They really don't care too much what it was that just shoved that piece of brass up their ass up to a point until you are making really precise ammo.

Exactly. How many people who review presses will put a 180 dollar set of Redding competition dies into an 80 dollar Lee Breechlock press? I would wager people who are generally using less expensive presses are using less expensive dies, and people who bought expensive presses have expensive dies for them.
I decided to save the money on the press, buy nice dies, and then spend money on dispensing powder.

and if you are at all like me the ammo will shoot better than you can if charge weights are all the same

If you have good dies, and a repeatable way to measure powder you should be making good ammo regardless of the press used.

Reactions: Foul Mike