• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LEGION FIREARMS LF-15C (with pics)

berzerkrobot

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2010
Washington
I bought a new rifle by a new maker and I'd like to share with you guys why I did and my thoughts on it. Legion Firearms' LF-15C is a NATO 5.56 chambered carbine. Photography is one of my creative outlets, so I took some photos of the rifle for fun.

img8761sm.jpg

Last year I was really in to building AR's from the ground up. Not because of my love for the AR-15 platform itself but for my love and access to the modularity of the platform. We all know the AR world is an extremely crowded one, which leaves us with unlimited options for customization.

I had just finished a nice gas piston carbine when a good friend of mine told me some of his buddies in Texas had a new rifle coming out and I should talk to them. I live in Washington, so immediate hands-on wasnt an option. My first thought was "yet another AR maker using the D.I. system.. snore"

img8740sm.jpg

I ended up talking to the co owner Jamie Wehmeyer several times and each time we talked he offered more insight on why their rifle is superior to other options in the high-end sector, and was of course also quick to point out the pros and cons of the gas piston system vs. direct impingement.

Somewhere along the way it became clear this rifle had strengths that my rifles did not. These are not "bell and whistle" additions Im talking about either - fully ambidextrous controls (like a bolt release on the right hand side that ISN'T a goofy lever crowding the trigger), nickle Boron coating on the billet upper and lower receiver and bolt group, covered in a topcoat of ceramic stronger than cerakote, and best of all reliability unusual in the AR D.I. world. I could go on, but Im not a salesman for them, so until they pay me I digress!

img8756sm.jpg

I received my rifle a couple of weeks ago and while I have only started putting it through it's paces I have been very impressed with it's accuracy using Lake City XM193. Cold bore X ring shots at 100 yards using an Aimpoint was more than I would have expected but what I got. I mounted the ML2, zero'd from another rifle yesterday, and the first round fired was less than a 1/4th inch from the center of the X ring at 100yds. Today after hanging a new target it took 2 rounds to center punch the X out - the first round was a "lowly" inch low.

The stainless steel barrel is chambered in 5.56 (not .223) and is polygonal rifled with a 1:8 twist. The exterior beyond the gasblock is ball milled to save weight and encourage fast dissipation of heat through greater surface area. Out front is a Battle Comp 2.0 compensator - an option for extra. I also opted for the Noveske Switch block in order to run the rifle suppressed.

img8765sm.jpg

The monolithic upper, thick barrel and UBR stock I opted for pack on the pounds, and this is a noticeably hefty carbine, but after holding my M1A in a sage EBR it feels like a dream.

img8757sm.jpg

As I noted above, this rifle's pricepoint is in the "high-end" sector for AR's, but after considering the relability, accuracy, quality, and customer service behind this rifle, I feel the price is fully justified.

Re: LEGION FIREARMS LF-15C (with pics)

Nice looking rifle. In all honesty I'm just a traditional black rifle kind of guy and don't get into all the special coatings out there, but the others sure do look good. The rebadged Mega receivers are definitely a good start on a platform too.

Any idea who the barrel manufacturer is? Sounds like Black Hole is a possibility.

i thought that was a Mega upper. good looking system and great photography. nice layout, good composition and use of accessories in the shot.

Looks like a very nice rifle. What I cannot figure out is where statements like this one come from; "reliability unusual in the AR D.I. world". I'll readily admit that not all rifles are created equal but the design works.

I've been shooting these rifles for over 20 years and I have yet to see the reliability issues I hear people talk about. Granted, I've not run them in the powder sand environments but I did run a RRA through 3500 rounds with zero maintenance short of adding lube and it never had a malfunction. We just put 60 rifles through a five day course (60K rounds fired) without incident.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What I cannot figure out is where statements like this one come from; "reliability unusual in the AR D.I. world". I'll readily admit that not all rifles are created equal but the design works.</div></div>

"Reliability" is a broad concept, so I will clarify. There are two different types of reliability here we are talking about. Mechanical, and operational. Have I ever physically broke an AR? No. Have I had an AR jam due to carbon fowling and/or the rifle running dry? Yes, many times. The D.I. design inherently makes the chamber dirty. You mentioned lubing the rifle to maintain it's operation and this brings me to my point. Im sure you will agree that while lubrication is necessary, it also requires a human to maintain. The nickle boron coating on the LF-15C makes oil unnecessary -it runs "dry" in a sense, therefor reducing the amount of maintenance required. In other words "[operational] reliability unusual in the D.I. world"

I Hope that makes more sense now. I know the original AR15 design works, but improving it's weaknesses is always welcome in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds more like a rep from the company trying to sell their gun on here lol. </div></div>

..or perhaps someone who is excited about a new rifle they bought? Legion is a new company right now and being that Im one of the few people that have a chance at owning one so far, I figured I'd spread the word. Did I put a link of where to buy or mention price? Nope. Yeah I coulda easily posted just the photos to show off my rifle like most people do, but that wont help anyone who is interested in the rifle and may wonder about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking rifle. In all honesty I'm just a traditional black rifle kind of guy and don't get into all the special coatings out there, but the others sure do look good. The rebadged Mega receivers are definitely a good start on a platform too.

Any idea who the barrel manufacturer is? Sounds like Black Hole is a possibility. </div></div>

I have no clue who makes the bbl, sorry!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: berzerkrobot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I Hope that makes more sense now. I know the original AR15 design works, but improving it's weaknesses is always welcome in my opinion. </div></div>

Thank you for the clarification. I can see a reduced need for lubrication providing an advantage to the system. It will be interestnig to see how it (coating) holds up over time.

Great looking rifle and very nice pics.

Sounds a bit like a sales rep kind of review....who cares though? Looks like you have a winner. Pretty sweet that your aimpoint was pretty close to zeroed as soon as you put the first round downrange.

How do you like the plastic angled foreend on the bottom of the rifle? Better ergonomically? I just can't seem to get used to them just yet so the jury is still out.

Nice rig man.

Pretty interesting. Your selector looks like it has burst fire capability. If so I presume that's for LEO or military sales. Otherwise a nice looking setup

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you like the plastic angled foreend on the bottom of the rifle? Better ergonomically? I just can't seem to get used to them just yet so the jury is still out.</div></div>

Thanks! My writting may seem a bit formal for forums I guess.

I have magpul AFG2's (a slimmer version of the original angled fore grip) on both this rifle and My M1A scout squad w/Sage EBR. I like them because both rifles have rails that extend far enough out that when your arm is placed near the end your wrist naturally wants to sit at roughly a 45 degree angle. If you are using an SBR or m4 with a carbine length handgaurd that forces you arm to be held closer in, the magpul RVG might be a better option, beacase your wrist will naturally sit at closer to a 90 degree angle. I've noticed a lot of guys placing their hand on the front side of the RVG (or similar) and the rail to get the best of both worlds.

While I love the AFGs, I think you should stick with what works best for you, so long as it doesnt diminish your abilities to preform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speeddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty interesting. Your selector looks like it has burst fire capability. If so I presume that's for LEO or military sales. Otherwise a nice looking setup </div></div>

thats just a marking on the lower. There is a tell tell way to tell if it has burst or auto capabilites. If its an RDIAS, you cant tell unless you pop it open, if its a GI Auto Sear, then there will be an extra hole directly above the safety lever.

But there are alot of people who put those "burst" marking on the lowers completely for looks.

Looks like every other AR on the market. A monolithic upper isn't anything new, neither is having a full ambi lower. It is a pretty good looking AR though. I do like the slimmer rail systems, it's very easy on the hands and saves some weight where you don't need the rails.

First saw this on the Kit Up blog.

From what I can see this looks like a pretty dang nice rifle with a price tag to match.

The dimpled polygonal barrel seems nice. The monolithic upper looks light (though I'd like to see a final rifle weight). Battlecomps are good. The switchblock is great for folks running suppressors. One of the best triggers on the market. I have become a fan of the ambi-bolt release lowers though the ambi-mag release looks like it's in a slightly awkward place (this looks like a rebranded POF rather than mega).

Yep, it seems like a sales pitch to me but he's not a new member and the rifle also seems like a winner.

FWIW: I got an AFG awhile back as an experemental purchase. I didn't care for it at first and I'm still not sold since putting anything on a rifle adds weight but it's growing on me.

Its definitely Mega receivers, the MTS-320 Ver 2 to be exact. Judging by the shallow, linear dimple flutes and poly rifling I would say BHW is a very strong candidate for possible barrel manufacture.

While it is a nice looking rifle it is sort of frustrating that they would try to sell you "their" parts at a ridiculous premium in order to help justify the price on the complete rifle.

Stripped Mono upper on their site - $699
Same Mono upper with FA&DOOR (MEGA @ Rainier) - $563

Stripped Billet Lower on their site - $419
Stripped Billet Lower (MEGA Ambi @ Rainier) - $219

The list goes on. This is how I determine how much fluff is in their pricing, folks, its a lot! Good looking stick, just overpriced!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RuLins05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its definitely Mega receivers, the MTS-320 Ver 2 to be exact. Judging by the shallow, linear dimple flutes and poly rifling I would say BHW is a very strong candidate for possible barrel manufacture.

While it is a nice looking rifle it is sort of frustrating that they would try to sell you "their" parts at a ridiculous premium in order to help justify the price on the complete rifle.

Stripped Mono upper on their site - $699
Same Mono upper with FA&DOOR (MEGA @ Rainier) - $563

Stripped Billet Lower on their site - $419
Stripped Billet Lower (MEGA Ambi @ Rainier) - $219

The list goes on. This is how I determine how much fluff is in their pricing, folks, its a lot! Good looking stick, just overpriced!
</div></div>

Damn! I'd say somebody got the bone! Rifle do look good though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RuLins05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Im wont defend individual prices of things, but when I first considered buying one, I compaired the cost of a complete rifle against my last rifle I built and when I added up all the small things like the coatings, the Geissele trigger,blah blah blah and then add a warranty, it seemed more appropriate.

You have a point about price for some people tho - if you wanna shop around in this competetive market I think you can build an awesome rifle for a little less than what most the high-end manufactures charge, and Ive done it a few times, but for some its just nice to have a great warranty and not have to worry about anything let alone building it.

If you don't mind me asking how much do you have in your upgraded version minus optics? I see the standard version goes for $2500 but I don't see where you can add accessories/upgrades or did you add the MIAD and UBR?

Sweet rifle. What is the name of that sling you got on there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i thought that was a Mega upper. good looking system and great photography. nice layout, good composition and use of accessories in the shot.</div></div>

It is all mega receiver. They is nothing more than another re-brander.

Its a sharp looking rifle but the review is a bit funny. LWRC has been doing the BCG coating for a while, along with others. I can't see how this would even come close to an LWRC SPR or PWS upper mated with an AX556 lower.

I'd love to have one. Played with them at SHOT, and it's a lovely collection of all the nicest parts. I like to see a company pull together the best parts, even if they aren't necessarily making anything new. All the right pieces, put together well, with top-tier coatings. What's not to like? Closest thing in the DI world to my LWRCI SPR. I want one. Or maybe send in a Noveske Gen 2 lower to be coated to match an upper...

I definitely like the roll mark on this rifle than the Mega branded receivers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpipe95</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i thought that was a Mega upper. good looking system and great photography. nice layout, good composition and use of accessories in the shot.</div></div>

It is all mega receiver. They is nothing more than another re-brander.
</div></div>

This. Pieces is parts, like McNuggets.

Good luck.

They did a good job of assembling other peoples parts.

I'd like to see groups too. That's a good looking rifle! The wife and I were impressed with them and their hex fluted barrels at SHOT, been looking forward to some user reviews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see groups too. That's a good looking rifle! The wife and I were impressed with them and their hex fluted barrels at SHOT, been looking forward to some user reviews.</div></div>

Some of my input on the Legion Firearms LF-15c

LF-15c

Buy someone else's quality parts.

Assemble them.

Market.

Profit.

I dont see anything wrong with this. Not everyone in the market for a quality AR has the time or ability to search out everything and do it themselves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhinomax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks nice.... groups please</div></div>

I have some training early next week and I will post some groupings with some 62grain at 100 yards off bipod for you.

I'm telling you, give Adam or Chris a call and talk some specs and get a better idea of what goes into these rifles.

GREAT looking rig. Doesn't Legion make a 1911-style double stack pistol too? Think I remember seeing one of their SHOT videos. At any rate, that's a sweet looking AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds more like a rep from the company trying to sell their gun on here lol. </div></div>

Agreed. With the quality of those pictures and the whole layout of this post. Also looks like a rebadged Mega Arms monolithic upper/ billet lower build.

I threw my 2 cents in the mix cause I've been shooting one of their rifles for a minute now thanks to Legion going above and beyond for me and taking care of my sniper team when in reality they didn't have to. This company is founded on the principle of building a combat rifle to kill, and kill effectively. That means being accurate and reliable. The men at Legion are all former vets of combat MOS's and that's a good thing to have in the AR building market.

Im 100% sure that they just didn't go online, buy a bunch of parts and assembled a rifle. Do some research, give them a call, hell they'll even let you come out to shoot their inventory and get your own feedback. If price is a factor, then thats BS cause guns like Noveske, DD's, POF's all hover around the 2k+ price range as well.

I think Legion should hire the OP to shoot their photos and do their website. Nice pictures of a great looking rifle.