• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Legit Question

Ohhh
The world is saved!

Not much information to be had:(

I’ll go back to Mark n Sam.

Last edited:
If anybody ever wants to do some west desert ELR, fly to SLC, get a hotel in Tooele or Grantsville (not sure if there even is a hotel in the latter) and I'll drive 30 min west and set up my steel for you. Wind usually 5-10 MPH and variable; rarely (early AM early evening) 0-5. Challenging but realistic shooting conditions.

Serious invitation. I recommend spring or fall, summers are a bitch

Last edited:
If anybody ever wants to do some west desert ELR, fly to SLC, get a hotel in Tooele or Grantsville (not sure if there even is a hotel in the latter) and I'll drive 30 min west and set up my steel for you. Wind usually 5-10 MPH and variable; rarely (early AM early evening) 0-5. Challenging but realistic shooting conditions.

Serious invitation. I recommend spring or fall, summers are a bitch
I’ll extend the same invitation but in eastern Washington. Wind is the same but with up and down drafts.

Attachments

• 4E2BAFE1-54B3-488D-83DC-0974F4E4F263.jpeg
    4E2BAFE1-54B3-488D-83DC-0974F4E4F263.jpeg
    769.3 KB · Views: 44
3 in a row on an 18” plate at 1775 w 50 BMG

And completely totally cherry-picked from scores of videos showing miss after miss at that range and beyond with a wide selection of calibers.

That looks like fun. From the sounds of it ya had good company as well

Like @Steel head and @jasent have alluded to. This isn’t the Hill Country Rifles show anymore. I have a place to shoot steel out to 3520. Used to be 2850 but my friends recently hung some more steel and now we can shoot 2 miles. These are a couple pics from the most recent outing. 36”x48” piece of steel. 5th shot he joined the 2 mile club with a 375 Cheytac. Notice though that there are 2 other impacts on the steel from earlier that morning…shoot what you want, as far as you can.
028F86EB-0285-4498-BC1B-1B95FA3C2232.jpeg
9DFD7EE6-3626-4164-9912-7D5EBE1DA567.jpeg

Many thanks for the excellent responses.

My initial question may have caused a little bit of wobble in the steering.

Let me clarify my question:

MarkandSamAfterWork don’t seem to be “lobbing artillery” in their 6.5CM 3000 yd video.
They also have other videos connecting ELR with other non-magnum calibers.
What are the techniques and processes they are doing to connect at these distances with using a much larger more powerful cartridge?
They shoot a lot in the same area which has great spotting because all the farm land with the dirt. He also has a spotter who is very good.
In my opinion you have to decide competition or just for fun. But even the nightforce steel challenge the 6.5 prc and 7 saum is very popular but the 300 norma wins more. I shoot for fun at my local range which I can shoot from 100 yards to 2100 yards we do have a lot of bare dirt so spotting is easier. But the wind is so miserable gusts swirls and everything else you can think of. We have ran from me to buddies ect 7 saum 7 max 7 rem mag 7mm-300 win mag which I'm running now 300 win mag with great results and good hit percentages. I think the bullets are a bigger deal higher bc and being consistent is a huge part. A few weekends ago we shot 1 mile (someone stole alot of our steep at range with hit indicators) at small rocks the wind was from 14 to 20 with some swirls over the ridges and I had a stretch of 4 out of 5 on the rock. I live in Colorado the wind is no joke. But I say pick a caliber pick a good solid bullet and get to shooting and learn. When I first started there was alot of shooting and no hitting haha

Seems these days there is 2 different types of elr. Extreme long range and elitist long range.
Personally I don’t care which camp your in. Still a brother to me.
I agree 100% and thinks it's a shame how the comp shooter kind of look down on the hobby shooter like we don't know what we are talking about. 🤔

Reactions: jasent
Just my $.02 from personal experience. We did 2,000 yards couple years ago. I brought a target camera system but when we got to the range, we could see there was no possible way to get to the target. So we had 3 spotters looking though scopes, and a ton of mirage for the splash and listen for the impacts on steel.

Used a .338 LM with a 300g Berger. I highly doubt we could have seen the splash with a smaller caliber than a .338, at least on this range.

Drama aside I think the point we are all making weather conveyed properly or not is that while elr is possible with non traditional elr cartridge it’s not easy and far more impacts will come from a 375 ct or 416. But you won’t learn anything just dreaming about that big boomer.
Get out and shoot with what you have and learn the restrictions your cartridge and setup has. Apply that knowledge with your next build and share what you’ve learned in the process. For some that elr rifle will be decided by the range you have available. Some may never have a need to go larger than a 30 magnum.
I’d never recommend a 375 to someone who has never shot past 1000 yards because they will just waste money faster. That learning curve will be a lot cheaper with a 300.

This is coming from a guy with a burned up 37xc barrel on the shelf and a 416 build in the works.

Jmo

You are going to get out of it, what you put into it.
Whether launching pills with my .338, or my 6.5 Creedmoor, I need to be setting up properly and adhering to strict technique.
Love stretching the legs of the 6.5 and getting the distance buzz with the AI.
Just get out and do it.

Attachments

• Resized_20201005_133045.jpeg
    Resized_20201005_133045.jpeg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 40
Drama aside I think the point we are all making weather conveyed properly or not is that while elr is possible with non traditional elr cartridge it’s not easy and far more impacts will come from a 375 ct or 416. But you won’t learn anything just dreaming about that big boomer.
Get out and shoot with what you have and learn the restrictions your cartridge and setup has. Apply that knowledge with your next build and share what you’ve learned in the process. For some that elr rifle will be decided by the range you have available. Some may never have a need to go larger than a 30 magnum.
I’d never recommend a 375 to someone who has never shot past 1000 yards because they will just waste money faster. That learning curve will be a lot cheaper with a 300.

This is coming from a guy with a burned up 37xc barrel on the shelf and a 416 build in the works.

Jmo
This definitely resonates with how I am progressing especially the sharing what you have learned as I have someone who helped me. I had 1 rifle when I showed up at our new range with steel to 2k. The farthest I had ever shot was just under 700 yards on a hunting lease off the hood of my truck. So we just kept pushing it out on IPSC targets to 1200 and 1500 since we can't place our own steel at the new range with smaller ones. Before too long we started taking head shots on various IPSCs for a smaller target. At that point it's just a natural progression to move the distance out.

@Mike Casselton coached me up a ton with my setup on the rifle, trigger mechanics etc....just huge having a mentor with these things. OP if you are lucky enough to find someone at your range generous with their knowledge embrace it...take em to lunch and pick their brains it will pay huge dividends. Then it was just spending time with eyes down range and learning then learning how to read mirage that was a huge component of success at longer distances too. One rifle, one load and spending all my time with that one rig. I won't even go into the reloading knowledge base I get to tap into with these guys too just unreal.

I don't yet feel the need to go with more pill. Still learning, still having a ton of fun and still getting better. Although some of these guys @Schütze and @lash like to do this 'purchasing mentor' thing where w/o me even knowing it I start bleeding $100's and I'm receiving tracking alerts on new stuff. What that crap?! Literally magazines and a new Bravo I didn't plan on are arriving this week.....OP be careful of purchasing mentors! @Mike Casselton teaches a master class on purchasing mentorship.

Last edited:
Same with my trusty 260!
I wore out a barrel in about 10 months shooting at that spot every chance I got, learned a ton and had a great time.
I have copious notes from that time really got a lot more comfortable shooting far.

View attachment 7764514
View attachment 7764515
View attachment 7764534

No kidding!
I remember those times!
If I’d listened to the naysayers I wouldn’t have found the hobby I love the most.
If people listened to the naysayers we wouldn't be shooting ELR.

Glad people are out there experimenting and trying new things! Otherwise this would stagnate very quickly.

Red neck ELR!

Redneck ELR.jpg

I agree. I have a 338LM and 300PRC that reach out to where most would classify as ELR, but every caliber we shoot is stretched as far as we can. At the moment, I'm working to get a 6 ARC AR out to a mile. Spotting is a bit of a pain for the little pills, but it's OK. We have fun and we learn.

Last edited: