• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica Rangemaster CRF 2700-B

They all work good off buildings, trees but I am interested in what it will actually do off coyotes, deer etc....any updates?

Last edited:
They all work good off buildings, trees but I am interested in what it will actually do off coyotes, deer etc....any updates?
Unfortunately, I have not had an opportunity to hit animals at terribly long range. I did range some deer in full sun the other day out to 1290, hand held leaning on my truck as tractor trailers whizzed by shaking me and the truck. That was the farthest animal in the herd. Keep in mind, these are Texas Hill Country deer, they are tiny, so probably hit a 90 lb doe at that distance. The biggest problem for me was getting steady enough to hit it at that distance. I gotta think that tripod mounted, it'll go quite a bit farther, but can't say for sure.

That is very useful info and exactly the type of feedback I was looking for...thanks for sharing...

Played with mine while hiking in Pinnacles National Park last week. I am impressed. Ranged everything I tried to range. Out to a mile, quick and easy. I am very happy with my purchase and it exceeds my expectations.

Does anybody know if the dimensions are the same on the 2700 as the 1600and 2000. I wanna figure out if any of the available tripod mounts work with the 2700.

The reason the ballistic stuff is in there is because it is about having a backup plan and the more options you have the less impact it will have when one or more gadgets fail, I worked out that I have 4 main options with a total 6 or 7+ choices on how I go about it, the difference is being able to shoot or packing up and going home,

This has been proven to me a couple of weeks ago when my new phone just died that has my Conx App and a few others in it, But because I had loaded the data in to my LRF I have still been able to shoot and being able to cross check my data with hard copies, But I also use the RF where I just get the LOS and the Angle where I can double check with the Scope and MilDot Master and the Slope Doper.

john.
How in the world do you get the ballistic data off the website calculator on to the sd card?,

Most of these I cannot answer yet, as I just got mine, but I'll answer as I can:

With ballistics loaded, it will always give you the line of site range, and then it will output either an effective horizontal range, holdover amount, or one of the following:
MOA
number of 1/4 MOA clicks
number of 1/3 MOA clicks
number of 10mm increments
number of 5mm increments

Cannot say on steel targets yet. Hope to get out to a ranch in the next 2 weeks to test on steel out to 1150, but many of those plates are more than 1 MOA. With my 1600, I was able to hit electric wires at 300 plus yards on occasion, but coulda been luck and was not something I tried very often.
Same on scan mode, I don't use it much, hardly used it on my 1600 either. I understand the 2700 scan is faster than on the 1600, but I don't know yet.
Beam on the 2700 is about 1/2 the size it is on the 2400. 2400 1.3 mil round. The 2700 is .5 x 1.2. IIRC, it is wider than longer, but not sure on that. I don't know what the divergence is on the binos, but it's probably on their sites. My guess would be Leica's will be the same, Zeiss are traditionally bigger, but who knows on the new Zeiss that just came out.[/Q
Anybody have any tips on getting the ballistic data from the ballistic calculator on the site onto the sd card??

I bought the LRI mount for my 2700 and it fits perfect.

I also spent a few minutes with it and was getting fast and consistent returns on a railroad crossing sign all the way out to 3271yds. It actually was giving returns farther but it starts showing weird numbers after somewhere around 3275.
It kinda seems like it starts over but I don't think that's what it's doing either.
The first reading I got after 3271 was from about 10 yds further and it read 089.1??

I did not have time to try making sense of it but I have to say the LRI mount on a tripod makes this bitch come alive.

Attachments

• 20180319_111854.jpg
    20180319_111854.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 122

I also spent a few minutes with it and was getting fast and consistent returns on a railroad crossing sign all the way out to 3271yds. It actually was giving returns farther but it starts showing weird numbers after somewhere around 3275.
It kinda seems like it starts over but I don't think that's what it's doing either.
The first reading I got after 3271 was from about 10 yds further and it read 089.1??

I did not have time to try making sense of it but I have to say the LRI mount on a tripod makes this bitch come alive.
Maybe it Zapped a fly at 89.1 yards, they will do the same on rain and snow or a blade of grass, Just saying ?

John.

Edit, Nice setup by the way (y)

Maybe it Zapped a fly at 89.1 yards, they will do the same on rain and snow or a blade of grass, Just saying ?

John.

Edit, Nice setup by the way (y)

That's what I thought also but no that wasn't the case. It continuously read that so then I remembered that it didn't read 089.1yd if your ranging that it will read 89.1yd not 089.1yd. And it gives a shooting solution @ 89.1 but it did not when it read 089.1yd.

And yes I Actually ranged something in close to confirm.

Reactions: MilDot1960
That's what I thought also but no that wasn't the case. It continuously read that so then I remembered that it didn't read 089.1yd if your ranging that it will read 89.1yd not 089.1yd. And it gives a shooting solution @ 89.1 but it did not when it read 089.1yd.

Oh well maybe it ran out of steam at 3275, That is still Awesome (y)

If you don't mind me asking how much was the 2700 ?

John.

If I remember correctly it was $850-$899
That's Impressive,

Will it give you just LOS and Angle and does the Ret stay on the screen when you are aiming / Pressing the button ?

Thanks for that.

John.

How in the world do you get the ballistic data off the website calculator on to the sd card?,

I can help you here, it's actually really easy to do. If you will PM me, I can call you and walk you through it, but, basically, after you setup your profile in Leica' sw, you go down to where the little binocular button is and click that open. There you click on 'store trajectory data', and it will open a dialogue to save the hex file. Save it to your drive, then go copy it onto your card. BTW, the only caveat here is that Chrome does not seem to like to play nice with this program, not sure why. Firefox works fine. If you have any problems, PM me and we can chat via phone if that helps.

That's pretty impressive, the best I have gotten out of mine so far is just under 2800 yards, but I don't have the tripod mount, and was ranging off of tree canopies. I was leaning on a table, but even then, it was really hard to be still, so I figured if I had a tripod mount, it would go a bit further, and a reflective sign is a whole lot better than a tree.

BTW, been doing a lot of testing of it's ballistic outputs, and I am so far more impressed than I expected to be. Mine will actually give a return out to 1010, and verses my Kestrel Elite, it's remarkably close as long as you are not facing in a direction where coriolis or aero jump come into play. The other thing to watch is temperature.

What I have noticed is at the 975 or so range on out, the air temp really starts to make a difference. Something I had not considered when thinking of this solution vs a 2400...and that is as these devices sit in the sun and/or in our hands, the temp reading starts to rise. When you add just a few degrees to the ambient temp, it does effect your drops at the longer ranges. So when you pull them out of their cases, they tend to be correct, but then start to climb. The 2700 and the 2400 have no provision to turn off temp updates, so the longer they are out, the more error creeps in. The Kestrel instructs you to swing it around on it's lanyard to 'clear the sensor' and capture an accurate temperature, then turn environment update to off to lock in an accurate temp that will not be effected by the sun.

When I did this, I found that the Leica drops started to diverge as the temps were split by 2 or more degrees. However, if I set the Kestrel to match the Leica temp, they were less than .1 MOA different, usually in the .05 or less range. The issue, I finally figured out, was the temperature divergence, so I that's another nod to the 'split' solution of a Kestrel and something else, rather than an all in one, unless the all in one has provision to turn off temp updates, as I know the Leica and hear that the 2400 both exhibit warming. But turning temp on and off as you can on a Kestrel would be fiddly with the two button setup of RF's.

Sweet thanks for the info. So I can sell my 1600B and make the 2700B fit in my current LRI mount. That saves me some $$$ right there over getting another manufactures LRF since I am already setup for Leica land. :)

Sweet thanks for the info. So I can sell my 1600B and make the 2700B fit in my current LRI mount. That saves me some $$$ right there over getting another manufactures LRF since I am already setup for Leica land. :)

I think it will go in any Leica mount LRI has made. I don't know for sure I guess you could call and ask them if they've ever changed anything on them.

BTW, They did not know when i ordered mine last week if it work with the 2700. I messaged them on Facebook with a pic of the 2700 in it but did not get a response. I did tell them I would let them know so I'll call them today.

Reactions: alaskalanche
I just got my 2700b today...and it is snowing. ARRGGHHH.
I will try it out this weekend and post my impressions and it's performance. I will be using it
mostly for ranging and probably not use the ballistic function. I needed good glass since my eyes are 56.
I love Leica glass and have a Televid 77APO, 10x50 BA Trinovid and 8x42 BN Trinovid.
The binoculars are heavy...but rugged and so good to look through it is ridiculous.
The televid is amazing as well. The long range and the glass is why my first rangefinder is a Leica.

Reactions: MilDot1960
I can help you here, it's actually really easy to do. If you will PM me, I can call you and walk you through it, but, basically, after you setup your profile in Leica' sw, you go down to where the little binocular button is and click that open. There you click on 'store trajectory data', and it will open a dialogue to save the hex file. Save it to your drive, then go copy it onto your card. BTW, the only caveat here is that Chrome does not seem to like to play nice with this program, not sure why. Firefox works fine. If you have any problems, PM me and we can chat via phone if that helps.
Thank you very much for that I will give that a whirl and let you know!

I just got my 2700b today...and it is snowing. ARRGGHHH.
I will try it out this weekend and post my impressions and it's performance. I will be using it
mostly for ranging and probably not use the ballistic function. I needed good glass since my eyes are 56.
I love Leica glass and have a Televid 77APO, 10x50 BA Trinovid and 8x42 BN Trinovid.
The binoculars are heavy...but rugged and so good to look through it is ridiculous.
The televid is amazing as well. The long range and the glass is why my first rangefinder is a Leica.
Yes they are great, this is my third leica rangefinder And it is very impressive after 3200 yards on the front of a house 2800 yards on rocks 2000+ repetitively On juniper trees, Enjoy

Anymore feedback on these ?
Mine has been working like a champ. I got a tripod mount for mine recently, but have not had a chance to use it anywhere...useful...as my Colorado trip I was going to take to do some testing got cancelled. Hope to get an opportunity to get out somewhere soon with decent testing opps to see how adding a tripod to the calculation changes things.

Tripod helps tremendously beyond 1000yds. I use a cheap $15 tripod and LRI mount. The tripod is at scope level when prone. Consistent readings on IPSC steel targets at 1600 in full, bright Colorado sun. Haven't used any of the internal ballistic software ---> have a Kestrel 5700 for that.
See Catorres1's excellent review on the combo....

Thanks for the update guys, I have a 1600b that I am ready to upgrade from. I canceled my pre order for the Terrapin X today so my options are open again. As much as I’m interested in the Sig 2400 with Ballistics, the glass just isn’t on par with the Leica.
Scott

Thanks for the update guys, I have a 1600b that I am ready to upgrade from. I canceled my pre order for the Terrapin X today so my options are open again. As much as I’m interested in the Sig 2400 with Ballistics, the glass just isn’t on par with the Leica.
Scott

It appears the laser on the Leica is a cut above the sig too. The new Leica has the same beam divergence as the Terrapin and similar advertised ranges. I assume the terrapin will be able to hit further but I don’t have a need past a mile as most PRS matches max out there.

The Kilo is 1.3 mils round vs 1.2x.5 for the sig. therefore there is less chance of hitting the ground or something in the periphery.

Also I know that Leica is handling manufacture for Vectronix according to Euro Optic.

I haven’t compared them directly so take this with a grain of salt but this seems like a good alternative to the Terrapin if you don’t want to shell out 1800$ But want similar performance

It appears the laser on the Leica is a cut above the sig too. The new Leica has the same beam divergence as the Terrapin and similar advertised ranges. I assume the terrapin will be able to hit further but I don’t have a need past a mile as most PRS matches max out there.

The Kilo is 1.3 mils round vs 1.2x.5 for the sig. therefore there is less chance of hitting the ground or something in the periphery.

Also I know that Leica is handling manufacture for Vectronix according to Euro Optic.

I haven’t compared them directly so take this with a grain of salt but this seems like a good alternative to the Terrapin if you don’t want to shell out 1800$ But want similar performance
Good info. Thanks! I cannot care less about the unit pairing to the Kestrel. The Terrapin X is quite big and $1K for no good reason. All I want and need is a good LRF. Seems my route goes to the 2700

This is kinda what I was thinking, FWIW I got my 2700b today and took it out to my work at the airport. I was able to hit trees to 2K no problem. Also hit some small taxiway signs at 1500-1700 yards away. These are similar in size to an IPSC and they are not reflective like a road sign.

Seems like everything someone would need for a non ELR PRS Match.

I was out yesterday with mine. It had no issue at all on my 20" steel plate at 1500 yards. Amazing. I filmed through the eyepiece, video below. Readings were consistent and repeatable every try.

I have also pulled the trigger on this Leica 2700-B after reading about it here. Thanx for all the information!

I have put in a custom drop.hex on the microSD card for my load. It is 100% aligned with Lapua ballistic application up to 925 meters, so all seems fine in the calculations.

I had a custom drop file on my microSD card after 45 seconds in the Leica ballistic online program. Just push in V0, bullet weight and BC1, and export.

I like that there is only one drop file for each microSD card. Since only two buttons are available, Leica have tried to keep it as simple as possible. It will use drop file on card as default if ballistics is enabled, hence switch out caliber is only switch the card. This follows the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).

8GB microSD is very cheap and 1 gram... Only drawback is easy to loose...

Reactions: Cofercr
I see that Leica is bringing out a 2800 model and the 2700 is on sale in the $ 550.00 price range.
Is it still worth getting or is it now outdated and there are other models that have out classed this LRF and I need to consider other options ?

I think it's a pretty good value at $550. Excellent laser with a precise beam, very high quality viewfinder, long range capable, and you can upload a custom BC bullet profile on the micro-SD card that will give you in-viewfinder dope out to 1k yards. The dope from my 2700B matches up exactly to my Kestrel with my custom BC data.

The only thing IMO it's missing is the bluetooth to Kestrel connection, and I'm personally not interested in having to manage BT connections and battery life when out in the middle of a match.

Essentially $350 for BT connectivity. I can see how the 2800.com could really be useful in a field match where you have to find, range, and engage the targets.

I see that Leica is bringing out a 2800 model and the 2700 is on sale in the $ 550.00 price range.
Is it still worth getting or is it now outdated and there are other models that have out classed this LRF and I need to consider other options ?

The advertised/printed beam divergence is different. Not sure, but the 2700B is smaller which should translate to 'better'.