• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leica, S&B, Zeiss Turret Reliability Question

WB300

Cranky Yankee
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2011
GA
I'm trying to help a buddy put together is "last high end hunting rig." He has a lightweight (6.5 lbs) rifle in 300WM for our Elk hunt next year, so the scope has to be able to withstand some recoil. He wants to dial out to 600 yards and practice a bunch dialing before the hunt, so the scope needs to have reliable and repeatable tracking.

Here are the requirements:

Fixed parallax- he doesn't want to fool with adjusting it before the shot. So that will usually limit his top end magnification to 10x or 12x, which is fine.

Weight - let's keep it under 26 oz.

Glass - Best possible for low light.

Reticle - standard duplex type or hash marks is fine. Illumination is a must.

Turrets - can be capped or exposed. He will dial for elevation and hold for wind out to 600.

Mils/moa - doesn't matter

Focal plane - prefers 2nd, but will use 1st if that is only option.

Budget - no issue.

Durability - as stated above... lightweight 300 WM, reliable and repeatable dialing. The rifle has broken Leupolds, Meopta Meopro, Swarovski Z3 and Z5, Zeiss Conquest, Nikon, and some cheaper options either through internals breaking or spotty adjustments.

Here's what I'm thinking...
Leica Magnus 1.5-10x42
S&B Polar T96 2.5-10x50 or 3-12x54
Zeiss Victory V8 1.8-14x50
Other suggestions

Does anyone have experience with how these stand up to recoil and still maintain tracking. Not set and forget, and not dialing PRS, but several range trips of dialing for practice???

This will probably be his only Elk hunt in the Rockies and I don't want the possibility of failure due to a scope shitting the bed. (I know... ANY scope can shit the bed at any time, but I want to minimize it).

@koshkin

Thanks in advance.

Will

Nightforce 2.5-10x32 fits his requirements., But realistically the 42mm objective model with parallax adjustment has much better glass, and the parallax is very forgiving. I can leave the parallax on infinity on my scope, and still very useful across the full spectrum of distances.

See above or if you can find one the similar NF 2.5-10x24. Great scopes and really tough. Weight 16 OZ IIRC.

Buy that so I don’t! Should be amazing and at a great price.

Reactions: Mbaysinger89
Nightforce 2.5-10x32 fits his requirements., But realistically the 42mm objective model with parallax adjustment has much better glass, and the parallax is very forgiving. I can leave the parallax on infinity on my scope, and still very useful across the full spectrum of distances.
THIS

I have a Leica Magnus 1.8-12x50 with BDC on my Sauer 404 XTC in 300WM, rifle weighs 5,9lbs.

Setup works very well, dont think you can go wrong with a Leica Magnus.

Reactions: deersniper
I spent quite a lot of time with Leica Magnus 1.8-12x50. I think it is the best general purposes SFP hunting scope on the market today.

That having been said, I do not think there are any duds in your list and you should add Swaro Z8i to it.

ILya

That S&B Polar is gonna be pretty hard to beat in the low light department. Also comes in a 2nd focal plane, as well as a D7 reticle which falls in line of what he’s looking for.

Reactions: toader
S&B 3-12 x 50 klassik with bdc or the 10x42 ‘pm1’. Both are bombproof.

Reactions: toader
I have had Swaro, I have Leica, Premier and S and B. Never had a Zeiss. Leica Magnus is in my opinion the best glass out of the bunch. They have a massive FOV, very good illumination, good color, and perfect clarity. My 1.8-12 Magnuses can resolve a church notification board better than the S and B Zenith and Premier that has parallax adjustment at 3/4 of a mile and neither of them are slouches.

I do have one for sale at a very good price. If you have any questions shoot me a PM.

The pm10x42 has no business on the list IMO. It is not illuminated and it has a tight eye box with a limited FOV. It’s probably the must indestructible of the scopes, but it is not a hunting scope.

Thank you everyone for your responses... especially Ilya and psinclair. Hard to argue with the success psinclair has. If it were me, the PMII 10x would be an option, but my buddy will also use this for thick PA woods during deer seasons after the trip.

I have a NF NSX 2.5-10x32 and agree. It is my "go to" bombproof scope. I will forward it as an option.

I hadn't considered March. Can anyone chime in on March?

Will

Well, having to now add the thick PA woods to a lightweight elk rifle changes things. He might consider the PMII 3-12x50 with P3 reticle. P3 reticle has worked for me in Indiana woods hunting white tails, legal shooting 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset.

Reactions: WB300 and toader
Thanks XTREM, but he doesn't want to have to fool with side parallax/focus.

3D69B478-1499-43A8-844C-B8F7DFD45BE5.jpeg

Reactions: WB300
Thank you XTREM.... I learned something new. One of those might be in MY future.

Edit: just saw, no illumination. I still like it though.

Last edited:
This fits exactly as you described, Schmidt Bender build quality, will tract perfection, exposed turrets, illuminated, and know parallax.

Reactions: WB300
If you make a special order you can get the 3-12x50 klassik s&b with an illuminated p3 mildot and target turrets on both elevations and windage. Me and two friends have them and they’re excellent.

Reactions: toader and WB300