• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Length of pull different in prone?

thefitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
This is a follow up to this thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post2069119

I finally got this thing all built, adjusted and zeroed so I got off the bench and on the ground. But the length of pull is now too short to get it tight into my shoulder. At first I raised the bipod but then I saw Lowlights video on loading a bipod and saw that he had his Atlas all the way down and was straight behind the rifle. Problem is when I do that I can't get it tight into my shoulder. It's kind of on the edge of my clavicle and not tight. Shooting like that sucks and you lose your position each shot from the recoil. I need to get it in my shoulder between my pectoral and my anterior deltoid. The only way I can see to do this is add some spacers to the AICS.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm not big, 5'11" - 175 and I don't have any fat so if I don't get it on some muscle it's on bone and gristle and after 50 rounds it's pretty uncomfortable.

Any advise appreciated, thanks.

Re: Length of pull different in prone?

Yup, there is a difference going from bench to prone. Just moving from an angled to straight behind the rifle postion in prone can make a big difference in eye relief and the feel as to where it fits in your shoulder. You'll just have to adjust things till they feel comfortable to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a follow up to this thread:

I finally got this thing all built, adjusted and zeroed so I got off the bench and on the ground. But the length of pull is now too short to get it tight into my shoulder. At first I raised the bipod but then I saw Lowlights video on loading a bipod and saw that he had his Atlas all the way down and was straight behind the rifle. Problem is when I do that I can't get it tight into my shoulder. It's kind of on the edge of my clavicle and not tight. Shooting like that sucks and you lose your position each shot from the recoil. I need to get it in my shoulder between my pectoral and my anterior deltoid. The only way I can see to do this is add some spacers to the AICS.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm not big, 5'11" - 175 and I don't have any fat so if I don't get it on some muscle it's on bone and gristle and after 50 rounds it's pretty uncomfortable.

Any advise appreciated, thanks. </div></div>

Why would you look at my bipod and follow that as opposed to what is comfortable for you ?

I'm considerably shorter than you are, and I can get very low to the ground, most can't.

Set the rifle up to YOU, so that you can place the stock into the shoulder pocket, and you can get straight behind the rifle. If that means moving your scope so you have the proper eye relief, you move the scope that is why we have pic rails will all those slots in them.

you should be able to drop in behind the rifle with your eyes closed, shoulder the rifle, and prep for the shot. Open your eyes and everything should be correct. Eye relief, sight picture, etc. If it is not adjust the rifle.

I understand mimicking what we see, but I'm not shooting your rifle you are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a follow up to this thread:

Any advise appreciated, thanks. </div></div>

Why would you look at my bipod and follow that as opposed to what is comfortable for you ?

I'm considerably shorter than you are, and I can get very low to the ground, most can't.
<span style="color: #3366FF">
Did not even think of that. But it does seem that most pics of particularly the Atlas show it low. I just assumed something was wrong with me. I almost signed up for a yoga class! </span>

Set the rifle up to YOU, so that you can place the stock into the shoulder pocket, and you can get straight behind the rifle. If that means moving your scope so you have the proper eye relief, you move the scope that is why we have pic rails will all those slots in them.

<span style="color: #3366FF">Yes, I had to move the scope forward and raise the cheek piece.</span>

you should be able to drop in behind the rifle with your eyes closed, shoulder the rifle, and prep for the shot. Open your eyes and everything should be correct. Eye relief, sight picture, etc. If it is not adjust the rifle.

I understand mimicking what we see, but I'm not shooting your rifle you are. </div></div>

Thanks

If you able to get ahold of David Tubb book " the rifle shooter" the book has a lot of detail on fit. David at last i knew is a 11-time national high power rifle champion.