• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LEO sniper in need of new glass.

Hi,

Honestly that didn't get mentioned because machining has gotten significantly better in the past 30 years, lol.

None of that is needed unless you are buying the bottom of the bottom scope rings/mounts.

Unless a company is cutting scope rings with their tabletop drill press with bits from Ace then you are wasting time with practices that are over a quarter century old.

Sincerely,
Theis

^^Exactly.
Unless restoring an old rifle $cope / ring$ to old specifications it's throwing modern good money after bad.

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 6.43.39 PM.png

It’s fucking hilarious to me that so many here are better outfitted than your local baby sniper who goes to the internet for technical advice.

This has to be a troll thread. 😂😂😂

If not, please don’t shoot me trying to save me. Just let me figure it out.
Brings to mind the question of at what ranges are LEO Snipers qualifying these days.

Here is how all issues are resolved presented to your Barracks etc. When an individual meaning to do some serious harm to the civilians around them are extremely dangerous then the Sniper/Counter-Sniper only gets 1 Shot to end the threat to the public. That shot should be made where the best odds,skill,and equipment come into play and are almost perfect conditions for the eye of the storm. Sniper shoots the hair off a ticks ass at 110 yards, or we can give the people less and spend more of their money on useless equipment and tools. The other option is to equip their guys with the best equipment and give them their 100 percent solution to make the most accurate shot in a high risk high stakes hostage situations. In my opinion Sir our tax dollars should provide our Nations police forces with nothing but the best training and equipment available. When failing isn't an option you are there to save a life or many lives not just neutralize the threat. When the bad guys down it becomes a dual purpose precision weapon AKA the LEO Counter Sniper. Last time I checked a Human being behind a bolt action was the best way to fire a rifle. Haven't seen one save a life by itself. The mind is a man's Greatest Weapon.

Our sniper qual is from 10-200 yards. All the stages are timed and all of them involve at least 200yds of running.

Here is how all issues are resolved presented to your Barracks etc. When an individual meaning to do some serious harm to the civilians around them are extremely dangerous then the Sniper/Counter-Sniper only gets 1 Shot to end the threat to the public. That shot should be made where the best odds,skill,and equipment come into play and are almost perfect conditions for the eye of the storm. Sniper shoots the hair off a ticks ass at 110 yards, or we can give the people less and spend more of their money on useless equipment and tools. The other option is to equip their guys with the best equipment and give them their 100 percent solution to make the most accurate shot in a high risk high stakes hostage situations. In my opinion Sir our tax dollars should provide our Nations police forces with nothing but the best training and equipment available. When failing isn't an option you are there to save a life or many lives not just neutralize the threat. When the bad guys down it becomes a dual purpose precision weapon AKA the LEO Counter Sniper. Last time I checked a Human being behind a bolt action was the best way to fire a rifle. Haven't seen one save a life by itself. The mind is a man's Greatest Weapon.

Hi,

What??? Is there a question or answer or suggestion to the OP in here?

Sincerely,
Theis

For the OP @THEIS @koshkin would you recommend a one-piece scope mount vs rings?

ADM, Spuhr, etc

Hi,

As mentioned by @beetroot ... It comes down more to quality than type IMO.

Shitty is Shitty; no matter if 1 piece or separate rings.

Quality is Quality!!

I personally prefer single piece mounts because it allows me to IMO more easily change base angles but typical LE Shooter is not really concerned with that.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Long Range 338
Your price range makes it almost a foregone conclusion you should choose a scope from LOW in Japan. I would look strongly at the swfa 5-20HD. Athlon Cronus or the bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18,
The ior valada x18 is a good optic as well

• Haha
Reactions: rm212 and THEIS
There is some good info and a lot of conjecture here. I would say my opinion comes from a lot of conversations with my brother, who is on a small town SWAT team, tempered by my global experience.

1. Most departments don't have large budgets for training or equipment which limits them. Small town and county teams just don't have the funds to resource equipment or training and there isn't enough coordination or collaboration to create capability and capacity. These limitations create a sense of desperation where departments operate under constraints that could be alleviated with cooperation and funding. As a result, most agencies are ill prepared to respond adequately to most situations. This is a battle most agencies will never overcome. There is just too much inertia from administration.

2. There is a lack of technical expertise amongst individuals and administrators. This creates a condition where teams cannot sell/brief capability, or lack thereof, to higher echelons. Nobody wants to brief they cannot do something so it continues to limit them because administration lacks gumption. Someone in those departments has to grow balls and fight for improved funding for gear and training. The situation is unacceptable, by and large, for most departments.

3. For this thread, I would posit TC nailed the required equipment and if you gave me cash to spend at my discretion, I would buy a NF NXS 2.5-10x42mm for low end mag, top end mag, FOV, SFP, close focus/parallax, illumination etc as it supports all the required needs of a marksman in a "standard" LEO tactical engagement. That optic would handle, in spades, nearly any situation without fraud, waste, or abuse of limited funds.

Reactions: j-huskey
People here have made some great suggestions but I am not sure I have enough information yet to make one. So let me ask some questions.

What is the basic demographic of your jurisdiction? Is it rural, suburban or more urban?

How many call outs did your departments team have on average over the past 3 years?

Are they actually allowing you to make the choice of the gear?

How are you equipped to handle night time operations?

Does your department's armorer have experience mounting different optics?

The more info you can provide the better gear I can suggest.

Where are we with El Doucho running the shooting part of one of Terry Cross's classes with irons for a 5K wager?

Thats really the only thing Im interested in here now.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Bloody hell. The poor bastard just asked for some opinions on a scope.

For what you're doing with it, I think you should seriously consider a Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56.
5x should be low enough in an urban environment. You'd have 27x if critical details had to be seen &, these scopes have a reputation for being tough &, if you drop it off a roof or something, Vortex will look after you.

Bloody hell. The poor bastard just asked for some opinions on a scope.

I think you should seriously consider a Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56.
Bloody hell, you didn’t read the previous 5 pages where resident SWAT instructors said (and explained why) that scope is not a good choice...of course, who wants to sift through 5 pages of BS.

this thread needs to get closed.

Let the record show others started this oblique rabbit hole of interest.
Maybe post favorite Sniper backup piece and holster while observing thru new glass.
HKP7M13 has a lot to recommend it although Hilda's holster fits a little different on me.

H&K P7M13 Shoulder Holster copy.jpg
IMG_9960 copy.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Badshot308
Let the record show others started this oblique rabbit hole of interest.
Maybe post favorite Sniper backup piece and holster while observing thru new glass.
HKP7M13 has a lot to recommend it although the holster fits a little different on me.

View attachment 7620373View attachment 7620374

Those P7 pistols get hot as all get out after a couple mag dumps.
No way she is going to put that thing back in that holster and not burn the fuck out of herself.

Fact is, anyone who knows thier scopes knows IOR are top drawer. Those that disagree simply have not used a current production IOR. I use a Schmidt Bender PMII 5-25x56 and an IOR 2-16x42. The price difference is hard to justify. The only issue with the IOR is they have gone to side focus, which is more complicated and weaker in service. And speaking of service, IOR are easily, if not more durable than Schmidt Bender.

Fact is, anyone who knows thier scopes knows IOR are top drawer. Those that disagree simply have not used a current production IOR. I use a Schmidt Bender PMII 5-25x56 and an IOR 2-16x42. The price difference is hard to justify. The only issue with the IOR is they have gone to side focus, which is more complicated and weaker in service. And speaking of service, IOR are easily, if not more durable than Schmidt Bender.
bold-strategy-jason-bateman.gif

cocaine-cocaines-a-hell-of-a-drug.gif

You are
A. A troll
B. An IOR shill
C. Stupid
D. All of the above

I want my 30 minutes of reading time back from this fucking dumpster fire. But since it’s here, since it’s over a year old. Did you get a new scope?
That's on you, if you're into butt stuff you won't get your life back without monkeypox either.

I just read the title and thought of an expert that could help ;)

Please continue to educate us.

• Haha
Reactions: Fig
Quick, JazzmasterJay must be ready to answer a WTB ad. His friend has one. In Italy