• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LEO sniper in need of new glass.

rm212

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2021
West Virginia
I am a newly certified LEO sniper. when going through my basic class i found that the scope on my rifle will shift as much as 3 MOA when changing power setting. given that this is a major issue i am trying to select a new optic to try and convince my agency to purchase. we are a mid sized department so our budget does not have a ton of extra space. i am looking for recommendations for quality, rugged, rifle scopes at a decent price. the rifle is a remington 700 AAC SD in .308. i am currently considering scopes in 3-15 or 4-16 power range but all input is welcome. we are probably looking to spend less then $1000 but that would be at agency pricing which is often as much at 40% off. so looking sub $2000.

Last edited:
Reactions: Distance570
First and almost most important question before advice can be given,
What is your realistic budget?

You'll get lots of advice here, I would also however recommend you check out this guy's videos on a large number of scopes:

In addition, don't forget to get a really good set of rings or scope base.

we are probably looking to spend less then $1000 but that would be at agency pricing which is often as much at 40% off. so looking sub $2000

Vortex would have several options in your price range. Most likely their Viper PST series would fit into your budget and leave you room for a good set of mounting rings.

Reactions: The22Man
For agency pricing I would think Vortex, Nightforce and Leupold would have the best "agency" pricing, but after your price quote for the NF ATACR 4-16 maybe not???

Do you (or your agency) have a preference for reticle? My immediate thoughts would be:
  • Vortex Razor Gen II 3-18x50
  • Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42
  • Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44
These are all, solid tracking record, scopes. Keep in mind the Mark 5 is not the Mark 4, meaning - because you heard issues with a particular model doesn't necessarily equate to all model lines from the manufacturer.

The Vortex LHT is a SFP scope, turrets are "okay" but the above scopes turrets are spot on and I would say do yourself and your department a favor and get a scope with excellent mechanical operation.

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 2.00.44 PM.png

I have not ran one personally but they get talked about very positively on this forum.

For agency pricing I would think Vortex, Nightforce and Leupold would have the best "agency" pricing, but after your price quote for the NF ATACR 4-16 maybe not???

Do you (or your agency) have a preference for reticle? My immediate thoughts would be:
These are all solid tracking record scopes. Keep in mind the Mark 5 is not the Mark 4, meaning that because you heard issues with a particular model doesn't necessarily equate to all model lines from the manufacturer.

The Vortex LHT is a SFP scope, turrets are "okay" but the above scopes turrets are spot on and I would say do yourself and your department a favor and get a scope with excellent mechanical operation.
no real preference in recticle, something simple to use under stress.

looking at both the PST and the razor HD LHT. thoughts?

It would depend on if you can make the Razor HD LHT work for your budget range.

I might suggest you reach out to one of the hide sponsors, Scott at liberty optics and see what they can do for you:
@LibertyOptics

Reactions: davigf01 and rm212
Other than the somewhat complicated zeroing procedure, I've been happy with my PST Gen2 5-25. You'd probably want a lower low-end mag, though, so probably the 3-15x. I'm not sure the Vipers have a great reputation for ruggedness though, mine's just a range/comp toy.

The Vortex warranty is great, but the general impression around here is that you run a better chance of actually using it than many might prefer; I'm not sure how fair/accurate that impression is. It seems to me a LEO application would prioritize glass performance (including low-light clarity) and durability over a fancy set of features (of course, I'm no LEO, so this advice is worth what you paid for it). The PST 5-25x definitely suffers at higher magnification in low light, and I'd expect this would happen less with a lower upper-end magnification and better glass; I've not compared the 5-25x against the 3-15x, but even giving away about 10% objective size, I'd expect the 15x to be much brighter assuming the same glass quality.

Curious to hear what you guys decide.

These are all, solid tracking record, scopes. Keep in mind the Mark 5 is not the Mark 4, meaning - because you heard issues with a particular model doesn't necessarily equate to all model lines from the manufacturer.

Rereading your original post, I doubt you'll get any of these scopes for close to $1000 even with agency pricing, the Leupold might be the closest, but given that, I would recommend a PST over the Razor LHT as the turrets are better, it is FFP and the Vortex PST II 3-15x44 is an excellent caliber scope mechanically and optically for the price.

View attachment 7609938

I have not ran one personally but they get talked about very positively on this forum.
Unfortunately even with agency pricing these are not going to be at the "under $1000" pricing his department is willing to shell out. That being said, yes, I would definitely recommend the Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50 if you do not need illumination. The reason I chose the three I did was because they all offer illumination which I would think an LEO Sniper might feel would be beneficial in certain situations.

Just curious... but you said the original optic would shift when magnified.. shift up and down or side to side?

Take a look at Bushnell Elite Tactical

Bushnell LRHS 4-18 special by GAP
GA Precision Presale May 1 - June 1 $879. After June 1st they will be $939 at GA Precision

GA Precision Presale May 1 - June 1 $879. After June 1st they will be $939 at GA Precision
Should be an excellent scope that I am looking forward to; however, it does not offer illumination.

looking at both the PST and the razor HD LHT. thoughts?
I have an HD LHT, it's a good optic, but not one I would want to use on a duty rifle. Reason being that the clicks arnt the crispest and turrets can be unlocked fairly easily. I think it would get you buy, but I think you'd be better served in the long run by trying to get a grant to purchase a higher quality optic or seeing if the PD would be willing to sell some older assets to help fund your project.

Many moons ago before I got into oil and gas we were able to get some nice newer gear by selling outdated firearms in inventory, seized firearms and grant writing.

Best of luck!

Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50​

Just an option the throw out, I have the 5-25 and I generally like it. On there website it list for $2100ish, but not sure about your agency discount. Never hurts to try.

Reactions: rm212
I'd suggest that you contact Leupold Mil/Leo sales and marketing and see if they can loan you a scope and rings- they used to do this.
At least you can give it a try before you lay out the coin.
Their .mil/Leo discount was 50% the last time I ordered Mk 4 Spotter from them.

Reactions: stefan73 and rm212
Hi,

Have you discussed with your agency insurance liaison to see if there are any unknow to you requirements the insurance carrier has on such equipment?

Also, not a good idea liability wise to request suggestions based on PRICE from strangers on the internet..Get into the private LEO subforum for that kind of stuff.

Sincerely,
Theis

What might be the farthest practical distance you might encounter? This might also narrow down the selection a bit. There would be no point in considering a $1500 scope if you would only encounter a target of up to 100 yards, for instance....Also, what would be your rules for engagement? If you were beyond a range of a certain distance, would you be required to move in to a closer distance to minimize liability, risk or collateral damage to bystanders?

Just curious... but you said the original optic would shift when magnified.. shift up and down or side to side?
when going from 10x-15x it went 2MOAish left and 1.5ish down. i have not tested enough on other power settings to know. when i found the problem i set it on 10x and didn't touch it for the rest of the class.

Reactions: Texasflyer
What might be the farthest practical distance you might encounter? This might also narrow down the selection a bit. There would be no point in considering a $1500 scope if you would only encounter a target of up to 100 yards, for instance....Also, what would be your rules for engagement? If you were beyond a range of a certain distance, would you be required to move in to a closer distance to minimize liability, risk or collateral damage to bystanders?
3, maybe 400 yds would be maximum. it would be possible to shoot further if i was assisting the sheriffs dept but i doubt it.

when going from 10x-15x it went 2MOAish left and 1.5ish down. i have not tested enough on other power settings to know. when i found the problem i set it on 10x and didn't touch it for the rest of the class.
Pretty badass way to handle the problem. One of the cooler posts ive read on here.

And I'm not saying this to be facetious by any means, and I highly respect your position and duty. But since you are limited to a .308, many medium range scopes will be more than adequate for that caliber and range. Such as the Vortex Strike Force or even the Diamondback Tactical which I have 4 of personally, and are great out to 1000 yards.

Reactions: rm212
Take a look at Bushnell Elite Tactical

very hesitant to look at bushnell. the current problem child is a bushnell but it is older.

Reactions: Ravenmad172
Hi,

Geezus, lololol.....It takes 5 minutes searching issues with some of the scopes recommended. Issues that IF ever used in real life situation and anything; and I mean anything went wrong.......

The fact that you are asking recommendations based on budget alone is enough to have your Departments Insurance provider drop your entire Department.

Much less IF for heavens sake you go with one of these dumb suggestions of these "low dollar" scopes that takes a Defense lawyer 5 minutes of www to find out known/reported tracking issues, etc etc..............Nobody cares how good their warranty is when you are raising your right hand in court because you clipped the innocent person.

Sincerely,
Theis

It’s fucking hilarious to me that so many here are better outfitted than your local baby sniper who goes to the internet for technical advice.

This has to be a troll thread. 😂😂😂

If not, please don’t shoot me trying to save me. Just let me figure it out.
sorry buddy, not a troll, very real. small town problems. i dont have LAPDs budget so i have to make due. any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: Matagorda308
sorry buddy, not a troll, very real. small town problems. i dont have LAPDs budget so i have to make due. any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Better to NOT have a position than to have an ill equipped position.
Your Police Chief is better off just calling in County and/or State IF the need ever arises.

Sincerely,
Theis

Are you/your department willing to accept the risk and liability by selecting a “cheaper” optic that could be scrutinized in a use of force situation? Also as you already know, as soon as that trigger is pulled. You can kiss that weapon system goodbye as it’s going to be used as evidence.

You gotta be fucking kidding me.

When you inadvertently shoot some innocent person I hope this thread is revived.

This isn’t how one goes about conducting business of this nature.

Delete this thread.

i generally dont think of them being of the necessary quality, but i am willing to listen.
Sorry it wasn't a suggestion, rather a question about the scope that you have that tracks so poorly.

I am a newly certified LEO sniper. when going through my basic class i found that the scope on my rifle will shift as much as 3 MOA when changing power setting. given that this is a major issue i am trying to select a new optic to try and convince my agency to purchase. we are a mid sized department so our budget does not have a ton of extra space. i am looking for recommendations for quality, rugged, rifle scopes at a decent price. the rifle is a remington 700 AAC SD in .308. i am currently considering scopes in 3-15 or 4-16 power range but all input is welcome. we are probably looking to spend less then $1000 but that would be at agency pricing which is often as much at 40% off. so looking sub $2000.
I have 3 suggestions.

#1: Convince your Admin that this is a 20yr asset purchase if done right. Good glass should be serviceable for years so when they amortize the purchase price over that realistic time span, they would hopefully see the benefits of purchasing quality.

#2: SERIOUSLY consider a SFP scope for your work gun. (I am 1000% open to any debate against my recommendation).

#3: Whatever you choose, make sure you have a wide FOV and low X on the bottom end. This is where you live and die on a work gun. If I could wave a magic wand and make it happen, I would instantly remove half of the magnification off most LE scopes and remove an inch off the stock's LOP.

Also do your research on the mechanical ruggedness of your top choices. Nobody ever misses a shot because the glass resolution or color wasn't enough but crappy mechanicals affect stuff every day (per your opening post).

./