• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors LES BAER?

Re: LES BAER?

I have a friend who owns 1911's by most of the well known shops including Baer, Wilson, Brown, Novak, Clark's, Springfield, etc.

His Baer is one of the ones RADcustom had to refit, it was one of the 1.5" guarantee guns. Here's the abbreviated story to cut out the crap:

Phone call to Baer "Gun won't cycle reliably with 10K rounds through it"

Reply from Baer "Put another 1K through it......click......dial tone"

$3600 for a gun in 2001 and he was hung up on.........

I have personally witnessed more than one Baer 1911 go through a shop (that will remain nameless to avoid a pissing contest) that arrived with notes stating "gun will not function, has several thousand rounds through it, Baer told me to keep shooting it". One of the notes just simply said "make it work before I throw it" and also included return shipping info.

Wilson CQB, $2400 in 2001, barrel only making contact on one bottom lug.....but it had a nice paint job

Novak - perfect out of the box and built to order - a true custom....they do nice browning high powers too

Ed Brown - Cobra Carry 2-tone, I couldn't find anything wrong with it although it was not as tight as the Novak.

Listen to RADcustom and bachelorjack........

I've owned a TRS as well as a Wilson CQB, two Springer Pros, a Nighthawk and Brown Special Forces. They were all good guns with the Baer being my least favorite. Mine ran fine out of the box, but it seemed tight just for the sake of being tight. I didn't notice it shooting any better than my other semi-customs. I had to swap out the thin grips and bushing on the TRS to get it to fit me right. There were some sharp edges around the beavertail that made the Baer uncomfortable to shoot when I was sending a lot of rounds downrange. I also had Tripp hard chrome the gun because the bluing didn't hold up very well. I would probably chose Robar's NP3 finish if I was doing it again.

Last year I ordered a Volkmann setup to my specs and I couldn't be happier. The fit and finish is a step above the other guns mentioned and it will flat out shoot. At the time the price wasn't too bad when I ordered it through migunslingers, but I was told after I got mine that Luke had a pretty decent price increase. I waited about 6 months which isn't bad for a quality custom 1911.

I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing a Les Baer, but in my opinion there are better options.

Here are some pics of my Volkmann.
Volkmann001.jpg

Volkmann003.jpg

Volkmann005.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin_Deaton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are some pics of my Volkmann....</div></div>

Looks good. I've never heard a bad thing about one of his guns.

I like my Baer.
It is rougher around the edges, but it is as accurate, (in my hands), and reliable as my Browns, Wilsons NH's etc. As it was cheaper, I'm happy with that trade off.
I don't subscribe to Baer's "tight is right" as none of my other guns are built that way and they don't seem to give up anything in longevity or accuracy for it.
I would also be fairly fucked off if any of my pistols did not reliable go bang after the first mag or two had been run through them. "Break in" is arse. If it's not working, it's "broken", not "break in"
As others have mentioned, at this end of things, differences come down to fluff and finish, in all practical terms they all go bang and the bullets go pretty much where I'm hoping.
If you're planning on spending around $1300 get a Dan Wesson or a used Baer (a TRS just went for $1200 on GB), above that, whatever bells and whistles tickle your fancy
Nearly all these were bought used, for whatever reason the past owners chose not to shoot them much. Which one is "best" on any given day depends on my mood, coffee intake, tidal patterns etc.......The chicks at the range don't seem to care what i'm shooting, they dig my hair.

guns: the Baer says "45 acp" on it. In case i forget.
web.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned a few Les Baer's. Won't own another. Paid for that lesson. I'd pass on a Brand NEW TRS for $800.

I've never been impressed with Wilson Combat's offerings or workmanship. Pretty paint. Like a Kimber with better colors. Their mags work well though.

I've broken a stack of Kimber's.

I've bought no less than 5 Springfield's with the intention of building off them. All were garbage brand new in the box from the distributor. No idea how their custom shop is.

My next one will be an Ed Brown Kobra Carry in stainless. Assuming I decide it will do something my HK45C won't. Not holding my breath.

I think you should buy the Baer. Get the most expensive one you can afford. As has been said earlier, they are all really the same, save the name, but the name means a lot to some. I mean, crap, you're already sort of impressed by it and I was myself at one point. Buy the ticket, ride the ride. I'm betting you shoot half a case through it and think it's the greatest thing EVER. </div></div>

Stainless is nice...but black is beautiful!

23vxnus.jpg