• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lesson-Learned ... Powder Management

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. I use Accurate MagPro for 300-WM, and Winchester StaBall for 6.5-CM. I did some loading work on both a few days ago, and forgot to remove the powder from my Chargemaster 1500. I noticed the powder ... maybe a half-cup ... and thought "Crap, which one did I load last?". Couldn't remember. Figured, no big deal, I'm sure I'll be able to tell by looking at the powder. No such luck, as their appearance is remarkably similar. Ended up having to use a high-power magnifying glass to determine a very subtle difference that was sufficient to prove the leftover powder was the StaBall. Won't make that mistake again. From now on, the jug in use comes off the storage shelf, and stays off the shelf until the excess is returned to the jug. Lesson-Learned.

I have little pieces of paper I stick on my autotrickler because I use varget and h4350 which look identical. I may just leave the corresponding jug on the table though

My stupid self proof move is to never have more than one powder out at a time, and it sits next to the measure until finished. Same with primers.
    Exactly what I do. I once loaded up a few rounds with 4350 and had the intent of working up an h1000 ladder later that day, after getting back to my bench and dumping a few i noticed the jug sitting there was 4350, thank goodness I had the jug sitting there causing me to realize I hadn't switched the powders yet.

I did this once as well. I use N320 for pistol and H4350 for rifle.

well I always load pistol on the Dillon BUT I thought I would load some powder drops with the chargemaster to see how accurate I could make my 9mm ammo. Well a few weeks went buy and I had to load some 6.5 creed with H4350. I looked at the powdered and they looked identical. I could not remember for the life of me what powder was in the chargemaster.

needless to say after that experience now I empty the chargemaster after every loading session even though I never use anything but 4350 in it.

pulling the trigger on a round that might be loaded with 43 grains of pistol powder instead of rifle powder did not sound like a good idea lol.

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. I use Accurate MagPro for 300-WM, and Winchester StaBall for 6.5-CM. I did some loading work on both a few days ago, and forgot to remove the powder from my Chargemaster 1500. I noticed the powder ... maybe a half-cup ... and thought "Crap, which one did I load last?". Couldn't remember. Figured, no big deal, I'm sure I'll be able to tell by looking at the powder. No such luck, as their appearance is remarkably similar. Ended up having to use a high-power magnifying glass to determine a very subtle difference that was sufficient to prove the leftover powder was the StaBall. Won't make that mistake again. From now on, the jug in use comes off the storage shelf, and stays off the shelf until the excess is returned to the jug. Lesson-Learned.
    Most of us have had some type of experience like this and have developed a system. I never have more than one type of powder on the bench at a time and I always empty the hopper when I'm through.

Always clean up your reloading supplies when you're done loading. If you're loading more than one cartridge with that hopper then drain it every time. No exceptions.

Yup.
    Jug from whence the powder came, and the box bullets are the only ones on the bench, cleaned up/put away when done.
    FWIW, they (RCBS) states not to keep the powder in the dispenser. I don't think it's a big deal- but I used to let powder lay in my Hornady powder drop and it would discolor the clear plastic over time. The chemicals might degrade the plastic over time, but I can't see a few days being a problem.

Whenever you use powder, keep that container right next to your powder measure.
    Keep all others put away in a cabinet, on a separate shelf or somewhere that there is no confusion as to what's in the hopper.

If it bothers you to have containers on the bench, cut 3x5 cards and label them with the powder name. Leave that next to the powder measure.

It's super simple to prevent the issue.